Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > HD TV from the States

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
HD TV from the States

Hi all.  I am about to move my things from the US to Geneva, and I have heard that an HD TV from the States will be incompatible here and not to bring it.  Is this true?

The text you are quoting:

Hi all.  I am about to move my things from the US to Geneva, and I have heard that an HD TV from the States will be incompatible here and not to bring it.  Is this true?

desireelcJul 15, 2010 @ 11:08
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 921 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: HD TV from the States
Post 1

Jul 15, 10 11:08

Welcome to GE, soon!

It depends on, what you mean. It's easier if you give us the make and model number.

The voltage here is 220V and 110V in the states. Most TVs can use both, which you can check on the back of the TV: If it says something like "Voltage: 110V-240V", then you will be fine, as far as voltage is concerned. Voltage converters exists, but then it might be easier to buy a local TV.

The TV-signals themselves.. There's the new MPEG4 (H.264), the older MPEG2, old analog (PAL, SECAM)..  No problem for anything digital. The only thing, that might be an issue, is if your TV doesn't support PAL.. but that's a fallback option, as the digital channels are much better in clarity than PAL. Analog channels rarely display well on a HDTV.

Connection-wise, there's the analog SCART and the digital HDMI, which your internet/phone/TV-box is likely to have (these services are sometimes available in a package). If you get a combined subscription, you just connect the box to the TV and you're set.

There aren't many HD channels yet, unless you go for a satelite dish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_in_Switzerland - In addition, in my experience, a number of channels are dubbed in French with no usable original audio or subtitles.

Cheers, Lars

Welcome to GE, soon!

It depends on, what you mean. It's easier if you give us the make and model number.

The voltage here is 220V and 110V in the states. Most TVs can use both, which you can check on the back of the TV: If it says something like "Voltage: 110V-240V", then you will be fine, as far as voltage is concerned. Voltage converters exists, but then it might be easier to buy a local TV.

The TV-signals themselves.. There's the new MPEG4 (H.264), the older MPEG2, old analog (PAL, SECAM)..  No problem for anything digital. The only thing, that might be an issue, is if your TV doesn't support PAL.. but that's a fallback option, as the digital channels are much better in clarity than PAL. Analog channels rarely display well on a HDTV.

Connection-wise, there's the analog SCART and the digital HDMI, which your internet/phone/TV-box is likely to have (these services are sometimes available in a package). If you get a combined subscription, you just connect the box to the TV and you're set.

There aren't many HD channels yet, unless you go for a satelite dish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_in_Switzerland - In addition, in my experience, a number of channels are dubbed in French with no usable original audio or subtitles.

Cheers, Lars

FerneyL, Jul 15, 2010 @ 11:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

you just have to buy a converter..... I have a DVD player, and a microwave from the USA and it works here fine with the converter

just make sure you buy a good one that works properly.

just use 

you just have to buy a converter..... I have a DVD player, and a microwave from the USA and it works here fine with the converter

just make sure you buy a good one that works properly.

just use 

andy o, Jul 15, 2010 @ 13:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Jul 15, 10 11:08

TV's have gotten much cheaper here in Switzerland over the last couple of years.  Also, other than the voltage difference, Europe uses a different video signal (PAL) vs. NTSC in the US.  I am not sure if its worth the hassle to find out if your TV will work or not.  Sells yours over there and buy a local one which is just as good.  I bought mine online from a website called www.misco.ch and it came from Germany and was good price.

TV's have gotten much cheaper here in Switzerland over the last couple of years.  Also, other than the voltage difference, Europe uses a different video signal (PAL) vs. NTSC in the US.  I am not sure if its worth the hassle to find out if your TV will work or not.  Sells yours over there and buy a local one which is just as good.  I bought mine online from a website called www.misco.ch and it came from Germany and was good price.

JustChilling, Jul 15, 2010 @ 13:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

You can't beat the prices in the US. They have this brand, Vizio, I think it's no 1 right now there, they have amazig prices!

Regarding FerneyL's comment, even if the signal is digital, originally it's still encoded as PAL or NTSC. 99% of TV's in the US can only play NTSC so they will not work for PAL. PAL and NTSC doesn't automatically mean analog, they are just different standards for image and sound. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

You can't beat the prices in the US. They have this brand, Vizio, I think it's no 1 right now there, they have amazig prices!

Regarding FerneyL's comment, even if the signal is digital, originally it's still encoded as PAL or NTSC. 99% of TV's in the US can only play NTSC so they will not work for PAL. PAL and NTSC doesn't automatically mean analog, they are just different standards for image and sound. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

catalin, Jul 15, 2010 @ 14:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Jul 15, 10 14:06

Both systems are at least 50 years old. Whatever the original analog source, the TV doesn't care, as long as it understands the digital signal. The only digital signals in wide use for TVs are MPEG4 (far better) and MPEG2.

"P.A.L., short for Phase Alternate Line, is an analogue television encoding system used in broadcast television systems in large parts of the world. Other common analogue television systems are SECAM and NTSC.", Wikipedia

Both systems are at least 50 years old. Whatever the original analog source, the TV doesn't care, as long as it understands the digital signal. The only digital signals in wide use for TVs are MPEG4 (far better) and MPEG2.

"P.A.L., short for Phase Alternate Line, is an analogue television encoding system used in broadcast television systems in large parts of the world. Other common analogue television systems are SECAM and NTSC.", Wikipedia

FerneyL, Jul 15, 2010 @ 14:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Jul 15, 10 14:19

Ok you are correct about PAL and NTSC but seems that the difference is carried on in the digital era with the US broadcasting in ATSC replacing NTSC and Europe in DVB-T to replace PAL/SECAM.

As they take into account the standard frequency which in the US is 60Hz and in Europe 50Hz they would still not be compatible. Of course TV manufacturers could include both standards but that would be more expensive and not interesting to the them at least for the moment.

Ok you are correct about PAL and NTSC but seems that the difference is carried on in the digital era with the US broadcasting in ATSC replacing NTSC and Europe in DVB-T to replace PAL/SECAM.

As they take into account the standard frequency which in the US is 60Hz and in Europe 50Hz they would still not be compatible. Of course TV manufacturers could include both standards but that would be more expensive and not interesting to the them at least for the moment.

catalin, Jul 15, 2010 @ 14:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Also found this article. Quote:

"A lot consumers around the World assume that, with the introduction of Digital TV and HDTV, the old barriers to a universal video standard have been removed. However, this is an incorrect assumption. Despite the fact that video is going digital, the fundamental difference between video standards that exist currently, Frame Rate, is still the foundation of the new Digital TV and HDTV standards."

Q.E.D.

Also found this article. Quote:

"A lot consumers around the World assume that, with the introduction of Digital TV and HDTV, the old barriers to a universal video standard have been removed. However, this is an incorrect assumption. Despite the fact that video is going digital, the fundamental difference between video standards that exist currently, Frame Rate, is still the foundation of the new Digital TV and HDTV standards."

Q.E.D.

catalin, Jul 15, 2010 @ 14:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 921 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form