Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > HELP!! Options for no-line wireless internet

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
HELP!! Options for no-line wireless internet
Hello there

I've just rented a room that doesn't come with internet. Was just wondering what the cheapest and easiest way to get connected for 3 months is. My landlady is pretty old and relunctant to use her landline for a connection. What options are there for having somekind of no-line wireless internet at home>

Thanks very much for your help!

The text you are quoting:
Hello there

I've just rented a room that doesn't come with internet. Was just wondering what the cheapest and easiest way to get connected for 3 months is. My landlady is pretty old and relunctant to use her landline for a connection. What options are there for having somekind of no-line wireless internet at home>

Thanks very much for your help!
hannah09Jul 21, 2009 @ 00:17

Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 808 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: HELP!! Options for no-line wireless internet
Post 1
You should check with Swisscom what the minimum duration is for a DSL contract. I don't know if they do 3 month contracts.

DSL doesn't impact the analog or digital phone line at all.

Thus, you could get DSL via her phone-number and have a wireless router placed next to the phone jack in her part of the flat.

If you choose a good router, signal-strength is not an issue.

Of course, you can use UMTS and a UTMS-router instead - but without a long contract, this will be prohibitively expensive and include only a small amount of free data traffic.

Switzerland is a high-price island for DSL and mobile communication
You should check with Swisscom what the minimum duration is for a DSL contract. I don't know if they do 3 month contracts.

DSL doesn't impact the analog or digital phone line at all.

Thus, you could get DSL via her phone-number and have a wireless router placed next to the phone jack in her part of the flat.

If you choose a good router, signal-strength is not an issue.

Of course, you can use UMTS and a UTMS-router instead - but without a long contract, this will be prohibitively expensive and include only a small amount of free data traffic.

Switzerland is a high-price island for DSL and mobile communication
rainer_d, Jul 21, 2009 @ 00:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: HELP!! Options for no-line wireless internet
Post 2
for sure the best way is the free wifi hotspot whovian talked about, but if you need a permanent connection at home, you can look to something like this :

http://www1.orange.ch/residential_internet_internet-everywhere.html?lang=en

you have a monthly fixed fee, and you get an usb pwlan modem that allows you to connect from any place (where you have the mobile phone network).

hope it will help you. cheers.

pika
for sure the best way is the free wifi hotspot whovian talked about, but if you need a permanent connection at home, you can look to something like this :

http://www1.orange.ch/residential_internet_internet-everywhere.html?lang=en

you have a monthly fixed fee, and you get an usb pwlan modem that allows you to connect from any place (where you have the mobile phone network).

hope it will help you. cheers.

pika
Pika, Jul 21, 2009 @ 16:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 808 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form