Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > HELP ON A SWISS STUDY VISA FOR A RUSSIAN FRIEND

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
HELP ON A SWISS STUDY VISA FOR A RUSSIAN FRIEND

Dear All,
I am helping a Russian friend with a “basic question” on getting the Visa D / Study Visa for Canton of Geneva. Maybe somebody had the same question mark and have already the answer.
Her idea is improving her French first and then enrolling in a Specialization/Master programme in her preferred field. She could start the French intensive classes relying on her Shengen visa (up to 3 months staying), released by another EU country, but then she needs to apply for a Visa D for a long term study (1+1 years).
Since she is a Russian citizen, apparently, the Swiss Embassy in Moscow seems the only entity which can release these visas, since 1st Jan 2014; but they said to her that decision is then taken at the cantonal level in Switzerland.

Do you know if she could follow all procedure for the Visa D application directly at Geneva OCPM Office (Rte de Chancy 28), when she is in Geneva?

This would really save her from a long and expensive trip to the capital city to open a dossier there.

Many thx in advance for what you can share or for directing to students who have been in same situation (e.g. who came here with Shengen visa and got the long-term study visa from here).
Be free to send me also a private message if you prefer so,
Many Thx,
Fabio.

The text you are quoting:

Dear All,
I am helping a Russian friend with a “basic question” on getting the Visa D / Study Visa for Canton of Geneva. Maybe somebody had the same question mark and have already the answer.
Her idea is improving her French first and then enrolling in a Specialization/Master programme in her preferred field. She could start the French intensive classes relying on her Shengen visa (up to 3 months staying), released by another EU country, but then she needs to apply for a Visa D for a long term study (1+1 years).
Since she is a Russian citizen, apparently, the Swiss Embassy in Moscow seems the only entity which can release these visas, since 1st Jan 2014; but they said to her that decision is then taken at the cantonal level in Switzerland.

Do you know if she could follow all procedure for the Visa D application directly at Geneva OCPM Office (Rte de Chancy 28), when she is in Geneva?

This would really save her from a long and expensive trip to the capital city to open a dossier there.

Many thx in advance for what you can share or for directing to students who have been in same situation (e.g. who came here with Shengen visa and got the long-term study visa from here).
Be free to send me also a private message if you prefer so,
Many Thx,
Fabio.

Fabio BSep 22, 2014 @ 22:45
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 895 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: HELP ON A SWISS STUDY VISA FOR A RUSSIAN FRIEND
Post 1

Hello, 
According to Art. 17(1) LEtr, even if a person files an application while being on a temporary stay, he/she has to wait for the decision in his/her country of domicile. However, Art. 17(2) LEtr allows the authority (i.e. OCP) to grant an exception if the conditions for a permit are obviously met. 
In other words, if he/she is in Switzerland, it may worth of giving a try and go to OCP. Otherwise (as it seems the case here), it would be advisable to do it directly from Moscow.
I hope it helps.
Mario

Hello, 
According to Art. 17(1) LEtr, even if a person files an application while being on a temporary stay, he/she has to wait for the decision in his/her country of domicile. However, Art. 17(2) LEtr allows the authority (i.e. OCP) to grant an exception if the conditions for a permit are obviously met. 
In other words, if he/she is in Switzerland, it may worth of giving a try and go to OCP. Otherwise (as it seems the case here), it would be advisable to do it directly from Moscow.
I hope it helps.
Mario

Mario B, Sep 23, 2014 @ 07:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: HELP ON A SWISS STUDY VISA FOR A RUSSIAN FRIEND
Post 2

Hi Fabio,

I am also Russian with visa D, unfortunately she can't apply for a Swiss D(long term stay) visa being in Switzerland with visa C up to 90 days.  She will have to go to swiss ambassy in Moscow with documents  from a place where she would like to study and an official letter from university/language courses confirming she is a part of the program/course.

Alex

Hi Fabio,

I am also Russian with visa D, unfortunately she can't apply for a Swiss D(long term stay) visa being in Switzerland with visa C up to 90 days.  She will have to go to swiss ambassy in Moscow with documents  from a place where she would like to study and an official letter from university/language courses confirming she is a part of the program/course.

Alex

Alexandra M, Sep 23, 2014 @ 23:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 895 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form