Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > HELP OUT!!!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
HELP OUT!!!

Hey guys kinda need help....For some reason the key to my bicycle lock cant unlock the bike lock...stranger right? So my bike have been locked on the brigde next to my workplace for almost a week now and I dont know who to approach for help...Anyone with a bolt cutter? 

The text you are quoting:

Hey guys kinda need help....For some reason the key to my bicycle lock cant unlock the bike lock...stranger right? So my bike have been locked on the brigde next to my workplace for almost a week now and I dont know who to approach for help...Anyone with a bolt cutter? 

Moalosi LebekweSep 8, 2017 @ 11:46
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

15 Replies | 1273 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: HELP OUT!!!
Post 1

eeehh..... a locksmith?

eeehh..... a locksmith?

JR M, Sep 8, 2017 @ 14:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

thanks for your msg JR M. I would really opt to cut it...because taking the locksmith to where the bike is and having him/her work on the lock may cost more.. even more than the price of the lock itself...

thanks for your msg JR M. I would really opt to cut it...because taking the locksmith to where the bike is and having him/her work on the lock may cost more.. even more than the price of the lock itself...

Moalosi Lebekwe, Sep 8, 2017 @ 14:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

You can take help of Mr.minuit it's in planet charmille. They charge chf 100 just for coming. 

You can take help of Mr.minuit it's in planet charmille. They charge chf 100 just for coming. 

Sam D, Sep 8, 2017 @ 16:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

What kind of lock is it?

What is preventing your key from working?  It the lock has seized due to lack of oiling you can free it up with WD40.  If its absolutely rigid when you try to turn the key it may mean that someone has superglued it, which normally means they'll be returning soon to cut it off and take your bike.

What kind of lock is it?

What is preventing your key from working?  It the lock has seized due to lack of oiling you can free it up with WD40.  If its absolutely rigid when you try to turn the key it may mean that someone has superglued it, which normally means they'll be returning soon to cut it off and take your bike.

Andy C, Sep 8, 2017 @ 18:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I asked the police to do it, as the lock was broken in front of the station, and after I provided some minute details about the bike, they very kindly cut the lock. I guess they assumed anyone dumb enough to ask the police to help steal a bike isn't really stealing the bike.

@AndyC: Good to know! I didn't know the superglue trick was a thing people did! 

I asked the police to do it, as the lock was broken in front of the station, and after I provided some minute details about the bike, they very kindly cut the lock. I guess they assumed anyone dumb enough to ask the police to help steal a bike isn't really stealing the bike.

@AndyC: Good to know! I didn't know the superglue trick was a thing people did! 

Bryn, Sep 8, 2017 @ 18:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

thanks guys... ıts just a normal bike lock...Andy C(Check the pic attached) and I doubt that its  not working because of oiling, the key slides smoothly in and turns but the lock cant just open... I thought of asking the police  for help like Bryn did but I doubt they will come with me all the way to where the bike is....I tried unlocking it again today and standing there for whle really feels like I am trying to steal my own bike... thats why I decide that I need to find someone with a bolt cutter to cut it  at once

thanks guys... ıts just a normal bike lock...Andy C(Check the pic attached) and I doubt that its  not working because of oiling, the key slides smoothly in and turns but the lock cant just open... I thought of asking the police  for help like Bryn did but I doubt they will come with me all the way to where the bike is....I tried unlocking it again today and standing there for whle really feels like I am trying to steal my own bike... thats why I decide that I need to find someone with a bolt cutter to cut it  at once

Moalosi Lebekwe, Sep 8, 2017 @ 18:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

If you don't have a bolt cutter, and don't want to buy one, a hack saw costs almost nothing. It will take more time, but...

If you don't have a bolt cutter, and don't want to buy one, a hack saw costs almost nothing. It will take more time, but...

tawb, Sep 9, 2017 @ 12:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Thanks Tawb, I will keep that in mind too...actually I will check the hardware stores soon as the rain stops...hoping it will stop soon....

Thanks Tawb, I will keep that in mind too...actually I will check the hardware stores soon as the rain stops...hoping it will stop soon....

Moalosi Lebekwe, Sep 9, 2017 @ 12:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Sep 8, 17 18:51

Now I see.  This type of lock is prone to this type of issue and, as with so many aspects of life, it comes down to lubrication. You need to get as much WD40 into the internals of the lock as you can manage and leave it to soak for 12 hours.  Squirt it into the lock and gently turn the key several times to work it in.  Also try to get some into the other end where the cable locks into place.

Inside the lock is a a small bar/flange that is failing to disengage from the slot on the end of the cable so, after allowing the WD40 to soak-in, turn the key as far as it will go and simultaneously jiggle and pull the cable end. Flexing it from side to side may also help.

Not as much fun as a bolt-cutter, but you'll be able to use the lock again and you'll look less like a criminal.

Good luck!

Now I see.  This type of lock is prone to this type of issue and, as with so many aspects of life, it comes down to lubrication. You need to get as much WD40 into the internals of the lock as you can manage and leave it to soak for 12 hours.  Squirt it into the lock and gently turn the key several times to work it in.  Also try to get some into the other end where the cable locks into place.

Inside the lock is a a small bar/flange that is failing to disengage from the slot on the end of the cable so, after allowing the WD40 to soak-in, turn the key as far as it will go and simultaneously jiggle and pull the cable end. Flexing it from side to side may also help.

Not as much fun as a bolt-cutter, but you'll be able to use the lock again and you'll look less like a criminal.

Good luck!

Andy C, Sep 10, 2017 @ 12:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Random idea: do you have a picture of yourself on your bike? Would suggest keeping it on you if you decide to break the lock...not a good look :)

Jokes aside, good luck with this. Andy's suggestion seems the least risqué.

Random idea: do you have a picture of yourself on your bike? Would suggest keeping it on you if you decide to break the lock...not a good look :)

Jokes aside, good luck with this. Andy's suggestion seems the least risqué.

ISABELLE M, Sep 10, 2017 @ 13:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hey guys thanks for your input and suggestions, I really appreciate it. You guys are the best. I was able to open the lock yesterday, thanks to  Andy C's idea of oiling. But because  I didnt have WD40 i had to improvize and guess what I used....Vaseline....!! I left it overnight and Sunday when I tried the key...BANG!! it opened....The lock is working perfectly so far and I am back to riding  again.... Once again thanks to you guys for the support... Hi Isabelle M, I will surely take plenty of pics in case the same thing happens again... Enjoy your day guys....

Hey guys thanks for your input and suggestions, I really appreciate it. You guys are the best. I was able to open the lock yesterday, thanks to  Andy C's idea of oiling. But because  I didnt have WD40 i had to improvize and guess what I used....Vaseline....!! I left it overnight and Sunday when I tried the key...BANG!! it opened....The lock is working perfectly so far and I am back to riding  again.... Once again thanks to you guys for the support... Hi Isabelle M, I will surely take plenty of pics in case the same thing happens again... Enjoy your day guys....

Moalosi Lebekwe, Sep 11, 2017 @ 10:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Andy C, Sep 11, 2017 @ 13:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Hahaha...I get Andy.... Will always keep this in mind... :)

Hahaha...I get Andy.... Will always keep this in mind... :)

Moalosi Lebekwe, Sep 11, 2017 @ 13:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

I get it Andy C*

I get it Andy C*

Moalosi Lebekwe, Sep 11, 2017 @ 13:53