Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Holmes Place Fitness Contracts--- Expats Beware????

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Holmes Place Fitness Contracts--- Expats Beware????
Has anyone else gotten into trouble with Holmes Place (Geneva) contracts?

I worked in Geneva for 6 months and joined the Holmes Place Gym while I was there. The Holmes Place representative explained to me that it was common practice and "ok" for me to sign a year long contract and then they would find someone to take over my membership once I needed to leave the country. I believed Juliet Parker from Holmes place and happily signed my contract and enjoyed my brief membership.

The trouble didn't surface until my credit card kept getting charged after I had long left Geneva. Prior to leaving, I had conversations and emails with Holmes Place saying that indeed my contract was assumed by someone else and they would take my credit card out of their billing system. I blocked the charges on my credit card once I got home and emailed Juliet at Holmes Place to explain that I was still being charged. She quickly apologized and explained that the billing was a mistake. Subsequently, I'm still getting charged each month and my credit card company was faxed my year long contract saying that I cannot block these charges, as I signed a contract. You know what happened next right? Yes! Juliet Parker has ignored my emails and I'm stuck with a contract that ends 7 months after I departed Geneva. At ~ $160 a month!

I thought I should get the word out and I would appreciate any advice.

The text you are quoting:
Has anyone else gotten into trouble with Holmes Place (Geneva) contracts?

I worked in Geneva for 6 months and joined the Holmes Place Gym while I was there. The Holmes Place representative explained to me that it was common practice and "ok" for me to sign a year long contract and then they would find someone to take over my membership once I needed to leave the country. I believed Juliet Parker from Holmes place and happily signed my contract and enjoyed my brief membership.

The trouble didn't surface until my credit card kept getting charged after I had long left Geneva. Prior to leaving, I had conversations and emails with Holmes Place saying that indeed my contract was assumed by someone else and they would take my credit card out of their billing system. I blocked the charges on my credit card once I got home and emailed Juliet at Holmes Place to explain that I was still being charged. She quickly apologized and explained that the billing was a mistake. Subsequently, I'm still getting charged each month and my credit card company was faxed my year long contract saying that I cannot block these charges, as I signed a contract. You know what happened next right? Yes! Juliet Parker has ignored my emails and I'm stuck with a contract that ends 7 months after I departed Geneva. At ~ $160 a month!

I thought I should get the word out and I would appreciate any advice.

OrlandoMangoJun 24, 2009 @ 02:24
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

85 Replies | 20055 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Holmes Place Fitness Contracts--- Expats Beware????
Post 1

[quote]Has anyone else gotten into trouble with Holmes Place (Geneva) contracts?
[/quote]

It's a common topic here. (Gyms).

[quote]
I thought I should get the word out and I would appreciate any advice.[/quote]

Contract is contract. The representative you talked to clearly promised more than he could hold. He's probably glad and thanks the lord twice a day that you're no longer in town so he doesn't have to face you.

I think the English expression for this is "to pay dearly".

They probably make a nice amount of money on contracts where the signer leaves the country long before said contract ends. Free money for them basically.

[quote]Has anyone else gotten into trouble with Holmes Place (Geneva) contracts?
[/quote]

It's a common topic here. (Gyms).

[quote]
I thought I should get the word out and I would appreciate any advice.[/quote]

Contract is contract. The representative you talked to clearly promised more than he could hold. He's probably glad and thanks the lord twice a day that you're no longer in town so he doesn't have to face you.

I think the English expression for this is "to pay dearly".

They probably make a nice amount of money on contracts where the signer leaves the country long before said contract ends. Free money for them basically.

rainer_d, Jun 25, 2009 @ 00:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
 Hi,

I´m about to leave Geneva too and quit my contract, let´s see what happends to me. First sign of trouble is that I e-mailed Juliet parker about me leaving but she hasn´t answered anything...
Other thing is that I had that Glocals offer, so june, july and august should have been 50 CHF / month, but first payment was already 165 CHF (some "normal" starting payments etc.) next month was 50 CHF and then suddenly 95 CHF, WTF?  Did I read it wrongly and it was 165-50-95??? Well I try to fiqure that out some day when I go to visit them.
 Hi,

I´m about to leave Geneva too and quit my contract, let´s see what happends to me. First sign of trouble is that I e-mailed Juliet parker about me leaving but she hasn´t answered anything...
Other thing is that I had that Glocals offer, so june, july and august should have been 50 CHF / month, but first payment was already 165 CHF (some "normal" starting payments etc.) next month was 50 CHF and then suddenly 95 CHF, WTF?  Did I read it wrongly and it was 165-50-95??? Well I try to fiqure that out some day when I go to visit them.

pomi76, Sep 7, 2009 @ 11:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
 Hi

Just seen your post and would love to resolve this for you, I wasn't aware I had ignored an email from you, apologies if I have.

Please email me at [email protected] and I will get back to you today!

Hope to speak to you soon

Juliet
 Hi

Just seen your post and would love to resolve this for you, I wasn't aware I had ignored an email from you, apologies if I have.

Please email me at [email protected] and I will get back to you today!

Hope to speak to you soon

Juliet
JulietNP, Sep 7, 2009 @ 13:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
 I joined Holmes in July & was told that i would have the first 3 months half price, The first month with the joining fee etc etc was 165 i believe, this month (my 2nd) i did get charged half price for the monthly fee, but somehow was also charged the 45CHF instructor fee. I was aware that in the contract we have a 2 x 45 CHF to pay for the year, however i was told that i could pay that anytime during my contract. Somehow it came out of my account this month... hmmm. Just for some insight, when i joined Karen (she no longer works there) informed me as long as I give 3 months notice before leaving that termination of contract is no problem. I really do hope thats right as i'm standing by that... In any case i will be watching my account closely from now on...
 I joined Holmes in July & was told that i would have the first 3 months half price, The first month with the joining fee etc etc was 165 i believe, this month (my 2nd) i did get charged half price for the monthly fee, but somehow was also charged the 45CHF instructor fee. I was aware that in the contract we have a 2 x 45 CHF to pay for the year, however i was told that i could pay that anytime during my contract. Somehow it came out of my account this month... hmmm. Just for some insight, when i joined Karen (she no longer works there) informed me as long as I give 3 months notice before leaving that termination of contract is no problem. I really do hope thats right as i'm standing by that... In any case i will be watching my account closely from now on...
juzay, Sep 7, 2009 @ 13:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Stay away from Holmes Place! Period.

Holmes Place Geneva has a very bad reputation regarding $$$ and contracts. They are into making money, whatever the tactics, ethical or not.

I used to have a membership with them, but after a few months or a year, decided that if I wanted to be able to train normally in a gym, and not in a disco with date seeking machos and social image aware bimbos, I had to leave. Which I did, as I couldn't even listen to my iPod without hearing the blaring music of the spinning class.

In July of last year I contacted Christine Sahyoun to get some info on the corporate rates. She sent me the "Summer offer" (I don't remember the price) and I asked if the "Corporate rate" was cheaper. At 165.- it didn't seem cheaper, but the Summer Offer was now valid through August, waiving the 400.- joining fee (which sounded strange as I had already paid a joining fee in 2004). I told her I was interested in a tour of the club, just to see what had changed in 3 years. No reply from her... That was it, I knew then that I will never join this club anymore!

In the mean time, I joined the gym at the Crown Plaza hotel near the airport. MUCH nicer, quieter and less crowded (and cheaper!). After a year, I changed jobs and this was too far for me.

Now I'm back at Kieser Training in Plainpalais. Not pretentious at all, no blaring music, never crowded and very cheap (roughly 1/2 the price of HP). But you have to know that there are no classes, no cardio machines, and no electronics on the weight machines. This is your traditional "medical" clean weight lifting room with good but not state of the art machines, where you keep your program records on a paper card (nothing wrong with that). There is always somebody there to help you out with posture etc. and if you have a more "medical" question, you can see a physiotherapist on call, of course for free.

So with this info, I let you make your choice...
Patrick

Holmes Place Geneva has a very bad reputation regarding $$$ and contracts. They are into making money, whatever the tactics, ethical or not.

I used to have a membership with them, but after a few months or a year, decided that if I wanted to be able to train normally in a gym, and not in a disco with date seeking machos and social image aware bimbos, I had to leave. Which I did, as I couldn't even listen to my iPod without hearing the blaring music of the spinning class.

In July of last year I contacted Christine Sahyoun to get some info on the corporate rates. She sent me the "Summer offer" (I don't remember the price) and I asked if the "Corporate rate" was cheaper. At 165.- it didn't seem cheaper, but the Summer Offer was now valid through August, waiving the 400.- joining fee (which sounded strange as I had already paid a joining fee in 2004). I told her I was interested in a tour of the club, just to see what had changed in 3 years. No reply from her... That was it, I knew then that I will never join this club anymore!

In the mean time, I joined the gym at the Crown Plaza hotel near the airport. MUCH nicer, quieter and less crowded (and cheaper!). After a year, I changed jobs and this was too far for me.

Now I'm back at Kieser Training in Plainpalais. Not pretentious at all, no blaring music, never crowded and very cheap (roughly 1/2 the price of HP). But you have to know that there are no classes, no cardio machines, and no electronics on the weight machines. This is your traditional "medical" clean weight lifting room with good but not state of the art machines, where you keep your program records on a paper card (nothing wrong with that). There is always somebody there to help you out with posture etc. and if you have a more "medical" question, you can see a physiotherapist on call, of course for free.

Patrick

Patrick, Sep 7, 2009 @ 13:51
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Remove Thanks
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Patrick

Sep 7, 09 13:51

thanks a lot

but if my work is in Rue du Rhone and I want a gym at a walking distance. What are my options if i want to skip Holmes Places. Now i m too scared to join this club !!

I like cardio, step, dance class, bodypump, spining, ... please send me you suggestions.

I need to subscribe a club very soon

thanks a lot

but if my work is in Rue du Rhone and I want a gym at a walking distance. What are my options if i want to skip Holmes Places. Now i m too scared to join this club !!

I like cardio, step, dance class, bodypump, spining, ... please send me you suggestions.

veronica v, Mar 30, 2010 @ 04:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

haaaa yes I had holmes place membership in Budapest and not only the gym over there is marvelous, very clean, modern and luxurious with just about any equipment you can imagine, but also far more honest than the one here in geneva

when I moved here I still had the membership so I used it for a while, however not only the place is uglier and with less commodities, but also they try to RIP YOU OFF!!!!

I stirred away from them after the year and found a much cheaper just as good gym 50 meters away from my house!

haaaa yes I had holmes place membership in Budapest and not only the gym over there is marvelous, very clean, modern and luxurious with just about any equipment you can imagine, but also far more honest than the one here in geneva

when I moved here I still had the membership so I used it for a while, however not only the place is uglier and with less commodities, but also they try to RIP YOU OFF!!!!

I stirred away from them after the year and found a much cheaper just as good gym 50 meters away from my house!

andy o, Apr 14, 2010 @ 11:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I am sure if you walk around you'll find a gym around the area!!!

Holmes place in GVA is nothing like the very nice holmes place you see in other cities in Europe!

Holmes place in here is full of annoying paris hilton wannabe bimbos that get on the treadmill with their rolex and their expensive mobile phone and if it was up to them they would bring their little chihuahua and their personal assistant too....

and like some one wrote above, the place is also full of these gigolo wannabes that think they're too sweet and cute for you!!! with their fake tans and their kilo of hair gel while they lift weights!!

The place where I am in right now is called fitness but is close to charmille (sort of far from the place you need a gym).... however is not only cheaper, but friendlier and the people are the normal folk that go there to exercise because they really want, not because they want to be see exercising like many at holmes place!

Holmes place in GVA is nothing like the very nice holmes place you see in other cities in Europe!

Holmes place in here is full of annoying paris hilton wannabe bimbos that get on the treadmill with their rolex and their expensive mobile phone and if it was up to them they would bring their little chihuahua and their personal assistant too....

and like some one wrote above, the place is also full of these gigolo wannabes that think they're too sweet and cute for you!!! with their fake tans and their kilo of hair gel while they lift weights!!

The place where I am in right now is called fitness but is close to charmille (sort of far from the place you need a gym).... however is not only cheaper, but friendlier and the people are the normal folk that go there to exercise because they really want, not because they want to be see exercising like many at holmes place!

andy o, Apr 14, 2010 @ 11:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Apr 14, 10 11:47

So true!!!

So true!!!

Patrick, Apr 14, 2010 @ 11:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Just to offer another point of view... been there two years now , and no problem, i go in i train and go home.

Been to many gyms and find it refreshing to be able to just get on with it, and have not the smell of sweety feet and bo to live with. easy parking and  clean towel are also a welcome.

read the small print be for you sign , enjoy it work hard, and make friends down at the pub after your gym?!

Just to offer another point of view... been there two years now , and no problem, i go in i train and go home.

Been to many gyms and find it refreshing to be able to just get on with it, and have not the smell of sweety feet and bo to live with. easy parking and  clean towel are also a welcome.

read the small print be for you sign , enjoy it work hard, and make friends down at the pub after your gym?!

pro123, Apr 14, 2010 @ 12:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Since I had, still having and hopefully won't have problems with HP I feel to contribute. Yes, at the begining everything looks very nice, free month, then half price, etc... though so burocratic when it comes to the termination of the contract. I had to send a letter by post, as they don't want it to be delivered in person, to terminate the contract 7 months in advance because I knew that if I send it only 3 as they requests I'm going to have issues. Of course phone calls were done afterwards asking the reasons of my decision, one being that I didn't like the service at all, yet I still expected them to be more flexible in order to end it earlier than to wait until end of August. I end up having to advise my colleagues and friends to think it twice before going there. I cannot agree more with what it is said above, they seem very happy to keep charging people that are unhappy with their services et all. I honestly regret having gone there.

Since I had, still having and hopefully won't have problems with HP I feel to contribute. Yes, at the begining everything looks very nice, free month, then half price, etc... though so burocratic when it comes to the termination of the contract. I had to send a letter by post, as they don't want it to be delivered in person, to terminate the contract 7 months in advance because I knew that if I send it only 3 as they requests I'm going to have issues. Of course phone calls were done afterwards asking the reasons of my decision, one being that I didn't like the service at all, yet I still expected them to be more flexible in order to end it earlier than to wait until end of August. I end up having to advise my colleagues and friends to think it twice before going there. I cannot agree more with what it is said above, they seem very happy to keep charging people that are unhappy with their services et all. I honestly regret having gone there.

plreyes, Apr 14, 2010 @ 14:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

hey mate

i just moved to geneva

can you tell me about fitness....where exactly is it in Charmille?

thank you very much

Yannis

hey mate

i just moved to geneva

can you tell me about fitness....where exactly is it in Charmille?

thank you very much

Yannis

Yannis M, Feb 2, 2011 @ 16:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Is there's anybody from Holmes Place reading all this posts? Do they realise how ridiculus they are at the moment???

Are other clubs the same?

Memeber of HP GVAsince september= it's all true..!

Is there's anybody from Holmes Place reading all this posts? Do they realise how ridiculus they are at the moment???

Are other clubs the same?

Memeber of HP GVAsince september= it's all true..!

Martyna S, Feb 2, 2011 @ 17:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

if you want a fitness place just go to Silhouette

http://www.silhouette.ch/ecranSuisse.html

lots of locations in geneva + all around europe.

if you want a fitness place just go to Silhouette

http://www.silhouette.ch/ecranSuisse.html

lots of locations in geneva + all around europe.

David P, Feb 2, 2011 @ 18:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Hey,

FYI I was made promises by Juliet too. Shes no longer there by the way. The woman i dealt with was shocked to hear I was told by Juliet I could have a monthly rolling contract after the initial year.

After some wrangling they stopped my contract earlier after the first year expired and I was into my 3rd "rolling month". Rolling months didnt exist and I was duped by Juliet. I see she has posted further up, so hope she can explain why she was making false statements.

Id suggest Silhouettes too. They have a very good corporate deal for around 700CHF for the year with access to all clubs.

I fully agree with the posing steroid sleazeballs and Paris Hilton wannabes. A majority of the people I saw in there were there walking around chatting not even breaking a sweat. I remember my first ever visit, I saw a group of people sitting in the stretch area PLAYING CARDS!!!!

Another time the gym manager told me he had ordered some new pads for the squat rack. 6 months later I was still asking him where it was after he told me it took 4 weeks. PURE RIP OFF.

Avoid if you can. You cant say you weren't warned.

Hope that helps.

Hey,

FYI I was made promises by Juliet too. Shes no longer there by the way. The woman i dealt with was shocked to hear I was told by Juliet I could have a monthly rolling contract after the initial year.

After some wrangling they stopped my contract earlier after the first year expired and I was into my 3rd "rolling month". Rolling months didnt exist and I was duped by Juliet. I see she has posted further up, so hope she can explain why she was making false statements.

Id suggest Silhouettes too. They have a very good corporate deal for around 700CHF for the year with access to all clubs.

I fully agree with the posing steroid sleazeballs and Paris Hilton wannabes. A majority of the people I saw in there were there walking around chatting not even breaking a sweat. I remember my first ever visit, I saw a group of people sitting in the stretch area PLAYING CARDS!!!!

Another time the gym manager told me he had ordered some new pads for the squat rack. 6 months later I was still asking him where it was after he told me it took 4 weeks. PURE RIP OFF.

Avoid if you can. You cant say you weren't warned.

Hope that helps.

Kamrain S, Feb 8, 2011 @ 14:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

I tell you NEVER EVER GO TO USINE

they are the same that holmes place

when they realize that you are leaving the country they will take twice the amount of the money in your account and make as much trouble as possible for you ...

usine thinks that when you are leaving a country you are not prepare to pay a lawyer for your rights to take the money,

for example they took from my account 2 year in total even if i sign just one year contract. They took the money the following day i said to them that i was leaving Geneva...and then when i ask them why... they make me understand that a lawyer will cost me 3 times this amount so... they take advantage of this

PLEASE NEVER EVER GO TO USINE THEY ARE WORSE THAN HOLMES PLACE

I tell you NEVER EVER GO TO USINE

they are the same that holmes place

when they realize that you are leaving the country they will take twice the amount of the money in your account and make as much trouble as possible for you ...

usine thinks that when you are leaving a country you are not prepare to pay a lawyer for your rights to take the money,

for example they took from my account 2 year in total even if i sign just one year contract. They took the money the following day i said to them that i was leaving Geneva...and then when i ask them why... they make me understand that a lawyer will cost me 3 times this amount so... they take advantage of this

PLEASE NEVER EVER GO TO USINE THEY ARE WORSE THAN HOLMES PLACE

veronica v, Feb 26, 2011 @ 08:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

According to KamrainS:

"Id suggest Silhouettes too. They have a very good corporate deal for around 700CHF for the year with access to all clubs."

According to KamrainS:

"Id suggest Silhouettes too. They have a very good corporate deal for around 700CHF for the year with access to all clubs."

Cees K, Mar 1, 2011 @ 23:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

I've been going to DFC Sports (http://www.dfcsports.ch/dfc/) in Plainpalais for about a month now and haven't had any problem. People are friendly and speak enough English that even I (zero French) get by. It's essentially a boxing/kick boxing gym with a ring and some bags but does also have weight equipments and treadmills. I've been mostly training with their boxing & kickboxing guys in evenings but I believe they also offer other programmes.

I'm paying 330 for three months and considering I didn't sign any contract, I don't think I'll have any problems with automatic renewal, hidden charges etc. that everyone seems to be experiencing elsewhere.

I've been going to DFC Sports (http://www.dfcsports.ch/dfc/) in Plainpalais for about a month now and haven't had any problem. People are friendly and speak enough English that even I (zero French) get by. It's essentially a boxing/kick boxing gym with a ring and some bags but does also have weight equipments and treadmills. I've been mostly training with their boxing & kickboxing guys in evenings but I believe they also offer other programmes.

I'm paying 330 for three months and considering I didn't sign any contract, I don't think I'll have any problems with automatic renewal, hidden charges etc. that everyone seems to be experiencing elsewhere.

Wilf S, Mar 2, 2011 @ 08:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

Hi

I just wanted to add to this.  I was really missled by Juliette Parker regarding my contract there.  I thought my contract ended last Sept but then I kept being billed.  I went in and spoke to the manager who was great and said he would sort it out and that I no longer should be charged but to my dismay more bills have arrived.  I am at a loss what to do now except go back and try and get it sorted out.  However I feel that they are very into making promises etc and not sticking to them.  i would never ever use them again and if you are looking for a gym with an honest membership policy don't use Holmes Place.

Hi

I just wanted to add to this.  I was really missled by Juliette Parker regarding my contract there.  I thought my contract ended last Sept but then I kept being billed.  I went in and spoke to the manager who was great and said he would sort it out and that I no longer should be charged but to my dismay more bills have arrived.  I am at a loss what to do now except go back and try and get it sorted out.  However I feel that they are very into making promises etc and not sticking to them.  i would never ever use them again and if you are looking for a gym with an honest membership policy don't use Holmes Place.

Laurajenner, Mar 6, 2011 @ 11:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

How can I cancel my contract with HP without all the fuzz? I have a herniated disk and my doctor told me to stop going to the gym so that's a perfectly justifiable reason to break the contract (in theory). With HP you just don't know what to expect!

How can I cancel my contract with HP without all the fuzz? I have a herniated disk and my doctor told me to stop going to the gym so that's a perfectly justifiable reason to break the contract (in theory). With HP you just don't know what to expect!

giankee, Mar 6, 2011 @ 14:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Hmm, seems as though I am the 5th person on this thread who was entirely mislead by Juliet. As I've mentioned in other posts, I am far from an advocate for Holmes Place as I feel that they have been extremely dishonest and unethical in their approach to gaining and maintaining business. I think they are still trying to bill me for my glocals "free trial" for July and August.

I now attend Harmony and yes, it is pretty expensive, but it's clean, the environment is great, people are friendly and I haven't had a single problem (nor have I heard of anyone having problems) yet.

Hmm, seems as though I am the 5th person on this thread who was entirely mislead by Juliet. As I've mentioned in other posts, I am far from an advocate for Holmes Place as I feel that they have been extremely dishonest and unethical in their approach to gaining and maintaining business. I think they are still trying to bill me for my glocals "free trial" for July and August.

I now attend Harmony and yes, it is pretty expensive, but it's clean, the environment is great, people are friendly and I haven't had a single problem (nor have I heard of anyone having problems) yet.

Liv S, Mar 6, 2011 @ 15:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

yup, not cheap (like Holmes or even more) , very nice , clean and quiet. Downside is they only have 1 class at midday (so u like it or yr dead) and also when visiting was a bit worried about capacity. There was no one around so it looked good, but not too many machines and gym rooms bit small... not sure at peak hours what that will look like.

yup, not cheap (like Holmes or even more) , very nice , clean and quiet. Downside is they only have 1 class at midday (so u like it or yr dead) and also when visiting was a bit worried about capacity. There was no one around so it looked good, but not too many machines and gym rooms bit small... not sure at peak hours what that will look like.

Maria C, Mar 7, 2011 @ 10:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

I have hears similar things about holmes place .. I am a member there and I like it but a friend of mine has just left switzerland and she was obliged to pay a 3 months penalty because of the short notice (she lost her job with no notice either..)- this is just unfair, very money oriented and only that -

From what they told me when I signed the contract, if you leave switzerland it is the only way you can terminate the contract without penalties but apparently it's not that true! now I'm scared..

Gabriella

www.strangerinastrangeland2011.blogspot.com

I have hears similar things about holmes place .. I am a member there and I like it but a friend of mine has just left switzerland and she was obliged to pay a 3 months penalty because of the short notice (she lost her job with no notice either..)- this is just unfair, very money oriented and only that -

From what they told me when I signed the contract, if you leave switzerland it is the only way you can terminate the contract without penalties but apparently it's not that true! now I'm scared..

Gabriella

Gabriella L, Mar 12, 2011 @ 08:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

Gabriella

Mar 12, 11 08:52

yes I know this is terrible:

but remember for me its happen with Usine Opera

A lot of people seems to be happy with Silhouette and local gym club

I just hope that no one expat will ever go to Usine Opera or Holmes Place

it s just horrible

you feel like there is no justice in this world

yes I know this is terrible:

but remember for me its happen with Usine Opera

A lot of people seems to be happy with Silhouette and local gym club

I just hope that no one expat will ever go to Usine Opera or Holmes Place

it s just horrible

you feel like there is no justice in this world

veronica v, Mar 13, 2011 @ 12:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Jan 1, 70 01:00

you might be right

but you need to close your account well before you will suppose to end your countract with Usine Opera or Holmes place

I guess another solution might be to open another account in Swiss and close the one where you have Usine or Holmes automatic debit

be aware that just having a zero cash account and then a debit happens, onces will have trouble with the bank and not the f++++cking cluyb gym

io m sorry to be so rude but beleive me when this arrive and you are a honnest personn you feel that there is no justice in this world

NEVER EVER GO TO USINE OPERA

NEVER

you might be right

but you need to close your account well before you will suppose to end your countract with Usine Opera or Holmes place

I guess another solution might be to open another account in Swiss and close the one where you have Usine or Holmes automatic debit

be aware that just having a zero cash account and then a debit happens, onces will have trouble with the bank and not the f++++cking cluyb gym

io m sorry to be so rude but beleive me when this arrive and you are a honnest personn you feel that there is no justice in this world

NEVER EVER GO TO USINE OPERA

NEVER

veronica v, Mar 13, 2011 @ 12:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Hi all,

To add on the HP story, I've been charged CHF 200.- this month (usual payment is corporate price at CHF 155.- per month) because I am entitled to a coaching service twice a year.

I just prefer to get the service before being charged for it. Calling HP leaving a message for Christine, one of the account manager, but still waiting for a call back.

This is what I call a customer service in Geneva: you pay first and eventually you get the service...without a smile of course. It's just so übberchic. 

I was wondering as well whether HP is aware of the urgent need of increasing their customer satisfaction. Was surprised that there is no customer survey. That will help.

Enjoy your Sunday afternoon

Hi all,

To add on the HP story, I've been charged CHF 200.- this month (usual payment is corporate price at CHF 155.- per month) because I am entitled to a coaching service twice a year.

I just prefer to get the service before being charged for it. Calling HP leaving a message for Christine, one of the account manager, but still waiting for a call back.

This is what I call a customer service in Geneva: you pay first and eventually you get the service...without a smile of course. It's just so übberchic. 

I was wondering as well whether HP is aware of the urgent need of increasing their customer satisfaction. Was surprised that there is no customer survey. That will help.

Enjoy your Sunday afternoon

Nadia M, Mar 13, 2011 @ 12:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Regardless of payment structure, membership type, or cancellation policies, I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT HOLMES PLACE does not provide a good level of service. Sauna and Hamman hardly ever work, the place is not clean (I caught a fungus in my hand despite using the cleaning spray before and after my excercises so you can imagine how unclean the place is!). I also noticed that a couple of times they didn't have hot water during winter so on top of not being clean (number one requirement), have broken sauna and hamman, and bad cancellation policy, they still have the luxury of charging such a high fee and still make you pay for wanting to cancel? It's a terrible deal for anybody, how can anyone want to join? I'm cancelling my membership no matter what.   

Regardless of payment structure, membership type, or cancellation policies, I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT HOLMES PLACE does not provide a good level of service. Sauna and Hamman hardly ever work, the place is not clean (I caught a fungus in my hand despite using the cleaning spray before and after my excercises so you can imagine how unclean the place is!). I also noticed that a couple of times they didn't have hot water during winter so on top of not being clean (number one requirement), have broken sauna and hamman, and bad cancellation policy, they still have the luxury of charging such a high fee and still make you pay for wanting to cancel? It's a terrible deal for anybody, how can anyone want to join? I'm cancelling my membership no matter what.   

giankee, Mar 13, 2011 @ 14:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

After Holmes Place tried to charge me for my "free" trial, I blocked all further transactions through my bank. This may be a short term solution, but expect an angry phone call and a threat to contact the Swiss authorities.(Which was nearly humerous since they were the ones conducting such fraudulent business)

But here is my question... how on earth are they still running and popular with all of this shocking feedback??

After Holmes Place tried to charge me for my "free" trial, I blocked all further transactions through my bank. This may be a short term solution, but expect an angry phone call and a threat to contact the Swiss authorities.(Which was nearly humerous since they were the ones conducting such fraudulent business)

But here is my question... how on earth are they still running and popular with all of this shocking feedback??

Liv S, Mar 13, 2011 @ 18:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

I had a surgery last August, and the doctor told me no gym for 4 months. I told this to HP and they just wanted to PAUSE my membership so they don't want to end your membership... 

I had a surgery last August, and the doctor told me no gym for 4 months. I told this to HP and they just wanted to PAUSE my membership so they don't want to end your membership... 

nesryn, Mar 14, 2011 @ 13:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

They would pursue it abroad, or at least thats what I was told by the account manageress.

Based on this thread, ive checked out DFC, its ok for basic but I found several machines and 1 of 2 treadmills not working. You get what you pay for these days, and its a gym none the less. IF free weights is your aim then this is your place.

Silhouette you do have to pay all upfront, but it takes the hassle of direct debits and extra charges etc. Plus family living at the same address as person registered can have corporate rates too.

St Johns near tram stop Isaac mercier is where i'll be joining. They have just re-furbished their showers and charge a reasonable amount. Its 440 for 3 months but it seems to be clean and not too packed at lunchtime.

Hope it helps.

They would pursue it abroad, or at least thats what I was told by the account manageress.

Based on this thread, ive checked out DFC, its ok for basic but I found several machines and 1 of 2 treadmills not working. You get what you pay for these days, and its a gym none the less. IF free weights is your aim then this is your place.

Silhouette you do have to pay all upfront, but it takes the hassle of direct debits and extra charges etc. Plus family living at the same address as person registered can have corporate rates too.

St Johns near tram stop Isaac mercier is where i'll be joining. They have just re-furbished their showers and charge a reasonable amount. Its 440 for 3 months but it seems to be clean and not too packed at lunchtime.

Hope it helps.

Kamrain S, Mar 17, 2011 @ 16:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

So is this an issue with Holmes place or the staff encouraging you to sign up for the year? At 2000 CHF this sounds like the most expensive option. Is it just one gym? For 1200 CHF you get access to all Harmony centres. This includes two in Geneva, one near Nyon and another somewhhere I forgot about. For 700 CHF you get Silhouette... 

What does Holmes place offer that the cheaper centres do not offer, aside from a central Geneva location? Can't you get monthly membership rather than yearly, or pay per use? 

So is this an issue with Holmes place or the staff encouraging you to sign up for the year? At 2000 CHF this sounds like the most expensive option. Is it just one gym? For 1200 CHF you get access to all Harmony centres. This includes two in Geneva, one near Nyon and another somewhhere I forgot about. For 700 CHF you get Silhouette... 

What does Holmes place offer that the cheaper centres do not offer, aside from a central Geneva location? Can't you get monthly membership rather than yearly, or pay per use? 

Richard A, Mar 20, 2011 @ 08:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

Hi guys,

Quick one for those who want to sign up at a gym club. I have just started at California (http://www.fitness-california.ch/) and so far so good. It's a 1year contract and if you don't send them a lettre to before the 11th month, you automatically re-apply for a new entire year. Painfull but they make it very clear at the begining!

And apart from that, the club is correct and not too crowded. 

Let me know if you need more info

Hi guys,

Quick one for those who want to sign up at a gym club. I have just started at California (http://www.fitness-california.ch/) and so far so good. It's a 1year contract and if you don't send them a lettre to before the 11th month, you automatically re-apply for a new entire year. Painfull but they make it very clear at the begining!

EL P, Mar 21, 2011 @ 20:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

Taking a cue from other lines of business, can I suggest that when you join any of these clubs, the first thing you do is send them a letter terminating your contract at the end of the year and require that they confirm back by mail.  This may sound dumbass, but would you rather pay another year of membership to a club that you don't want to be a member of ?

At the end of the year, HP or whoever won't refuse to extend your membership - they may even offer you a discount to re-join for another year if you feel so inclined.

Taking a cue from other lines of business, can I suggest that when you join any of these clubs, the first thing you do is send them a letter terminating your contract at the end of the year and require that they confirm back by mail.  This may sound dumbass, but would you rather pay another year of membership to a club that you don't want to be a member of ?

At the end of the year, HP or whoever won't refuse to extend your membership - they may even offer you a discount to re-join for another year if you feel so inclined.

Poster, Mar 21, 2011 @ 22:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

Seems to me that there is a business opportunity in the making here.  There must be someone with capital to invest....why not open a brand new, people oriented GREAT service gym?

I have the name of someone that would be a great owner/manager...

Seems to me that there is a business opportunity in the making here.  There must be someone with capital to invest....why not open a brand new, people oriented GREAT service gym?

I have the name of someone that would be a great owner/manager...

jerri h, Mar 31, 2011 @ 14:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35

Mar 21, 11 22:15

This is the most helpful suggestion I have read on the topic.  One can send the letter by registered mail as an extra measure.

It doesn't sound "dumbass" at all and I wish it could be put as a "sticky" on some sort of newcomer' advice general post.

I believe that the almighty doctor's note also can be employed as a means of escape hatch as well.  Someone please correct me if  I am wrong.  Thanks.

This is the most helpful suggestion I have read on the topic.  One can send the letter by registered mail as an extra measure.

It doesn't sound "dumbass" at all and I wish it could be put as a "sticky" on some sort of newcomer' advice general post.

I believe that the almighty doctor's note also can be employed as a means of escape hatch as well.  Someone please correct me if  I am wrong.  Thanks.

Translator, Mar 31, 2011 @ 16:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 36

The Doctor's note won't hold up - it may at best get you a prolongation, but it is not grounds to cancel your contract, unless of course HP want to be fair, nice, client friendly, . . . .  which as it appears is not the case judging from the comments above.

The other point I get from the posts is that there is some scam artist woman selling  HP abonnements telling potential clients "this and that, crap and lies", whilst the contract says something else.  At the end of the year, she collects her sales bonus and the poor client, believing what the sales lady has said, finds out the difficult (and expense) truth  . . . 

IF ALL ELSE FAILS,  READ THE CONTRACT BEFORE YOU SIGN IT.  If you don't understand, take it home and ask a friend.  Never feel pressured to sign -> usually a surefire sign that something is not right (trust your instincts).

The Doctor's note won't hold up - it may at best get you a prolongation, but it is not grounds to cancel your contract, unless of course HP want to be fair, nice, client friendly, . . . .  which as it appears is not the case judging from the comments above.

The other point I get from the posts is that there is some scam artist woman selling  HP abonnements telling potential clients "this and that, crap and lies", whilst the contract says something else.  At the end of the year, she collects her sales bonus and the poor client, believing what the sales lady has said, finds out the difficult (and expense) truth  . . . 

IF ALL ELSE FAILS,  READ THE CONTRACT BEFORE YOU SIGN IT.  If you don't understand, take it home and ask a friend.  Never feel pressured to sign -> usually a surefire sign that something is not right (trust your instincts).

Poster, Mar 31, 2011 @ 18:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 37

Hei, how much is it? And for how much longer is it valid for? 

Lene

Hei, how much is it? And for how much longer is it valid for? 

Lene

Lene L, Aug 8, 2011 @ 00:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 38

I would interested if it is a good rate. Please let me know the rate and any other terms and conditions. 

Thanks

I would interested if it is a good rate. Please let me know the rate and any other terms and conditions. 

Thanks

Inshan, Aug 8, 2011 @ 10:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 39

Hi ....

Researching for a membership at some gym , i m chocked from what i read ...

I had a tour of CALIFORNIA gym , in eaux vives , they have 4 clubs in Geneva , and seem nice . But it s far from where i live , rue du stand ...

I will try to buy a one month membership at HP and see what happens .

Hi ....

I had a tour of CALIFORNIA gym , in eaux vives , they have 4 clubs in Geneva , and seem nice . But it s far from where i live , rue du stand ...

Samantha S, Sep 12, 2011 @ 11:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 40

Hi ....

Sep 12, 11 11:31

Easiest thing to do is as soon as you sign up send them a cancellation letter, that you have registered by the post office. Keep the proof that you've sent this letter with you contract. Don't accept their excuse that they can't have you cancel this early in the contract; that's their administrative problem, not yours.

After a year you decide if you like it, and because you don't have a running contract you may even be able to get a discount.

Easiest thing to do is as soon as you sign up send them a cancellation letter, that you have registered by the post office. Keep the proof that you've sent this letter with you contract. Don't accept their excuse that they can't have you cancel this early in the contract; that's their administrative problem, not yours.

After a year you decide if you like it, and because you don't have a running contract you may even be able to get a discount.

Edward B, Sep 12, 2011 @ 11:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 41

TO ALL GLOCALS MEMBERS:

I would like to respectfully add the following point:

According to Swiss consumer protection law (art. 10 al. 1 let. e Ordonnance sur l'indication des prix), Sports centers  like Holmes Place MUST PRESENT THEIR PRICES! As you may or may have not noticed, there are no brochures, flyers or anything printed of that sort to show their prices! Outrageously, In one week, 3 similar clients - no special corporate price or anything - received different offers from the same representative!

And the private trainers? I caught a glimpse of their price lists once when the trainer was trying to sell a few classes. There were different prices listed that increased gradually with the title " VIP 1" to.."VIP 6" !!!

As the French would say, their business is " a la tete du client"!

Please write to the service du commerce!!!!

TO ALL GLOCALS MEMBERS:

I would like to respectfully add the following point:

According to Swiss consumer protection law (art. 10 al. 1 let. e Ordonnance sur l'indication des prix), Sports centers  like Holmes Place MUST PRESENT THEIR PRICES! As you may or may have not noticed, there are no brochures, flyers or anything printed of that sort to show their prices! Outrageously, In one week, 3 similar clients - no special corporate price or anything - received different offers from the same representative!

And the private trainers? I caught a glimpse of their price lists once when the trainer was trying to sell a few classes. There were different prices listed that increased gradually with the title " VIP 1" to.."VIP 6" !!!

As the French would say, their business is " a la tete du client"!

Please write to the service du commerce!!!!

dathrilla, Oct 12, 2011 @ 15:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 42

Wow , and I thought Geneva was the peace capital haha! No peace of mind when someone is trying to **** you out of money. I'm moving to Haute Savoie in December and looking for a Job in Geneva so thanks for the insight because I like working out! I guess you can't beat a nice long run round the lake Money mouth

Wow , and I thought Geneva was the peace capital haha! No peace of mind when someone is trying to **** you out of money. I'm moving to Haute Savoie in December and looking for a Job in Geneva so thanks for the insight because I like working out! I guess you can't beat a nice long run round the lake Money mouth

Nicolas G, Oct 12, 2011 @ 18:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 43

CROOKS. Horrible to deal with, completely unfair and unjust! PLEASE save yourself from the maddness and do not go here!

I have my own horror story but the moral is: DO NOT SIGN UP. Their contract is ambiguous and reads ONLY in their favor. They have been taking money from me for months even though I have legally cancelled and no longer live in Switzerland. 

There are plenty of new gyms that offer better pricing, the same experience, and who - hopefully - will let you leave at some point. Such is not the case with Holmes Place. 

STAY AWAY. 

CROOKS. Horrible to deal with, completely unfair and unjust! PLEASE save yourself from the maddness and do not go here!

I have my own horror story but the moral is: DO NOT SIGN UP. Their contract is ambiguous and reads ONLY in their favor. They have been taking money from me for months even though I have legally cancelled and no longer live in Switzerland. 

There are plenty of new gyms that offer better pricing, the same experience, and who - hopefully - will let you leave at some point. Such is not the case with Holmes Place. 

STAY AWAY. 

Zaino, Oct 11, 2012 @ 15:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 44

I'm a member of Holmes Place now for over 8 years and can't really complain. Ok I don't go that often as I prefer running and biking outside .. in any weather but still for the spinning classes and my power workouts its an OK gym.

I even cancelled my membership once about 3 years ago because I was out of the country just too often, not a problem.. and when my calender changed I signed on again. Not sure what everybody is on about, if you read the contract it's pretty obvious how you have to cancel?, no?

I'm a member of Holmes Place now for over 8 years and can't really complain. Ok I don't go that often as I prefer running and biking outside .. in any weather but still for the spinning classes and my power workouts its an OK gym.

I even cancelled my membership once about 3 years ago because I was out of the country just too often, not a problem.. and when my calender changed I signed on again. Not sure what everybody is on about, if you read the contract it's pretty obvious how you have to cancel?, no?

smile2sandro, Oct 11, 2012 @ 17:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 45

No, I have a friend who is in a horrible dispute with HP, and she even has the proof that she was cancelling her contract and that they agreed. They are still trying to charge her after the fact. Unbelievable.

No, I have a friend who is in a horrible dispute with HP, and she even has the proof that she was cancelling her contract and that they agreed. They are still trying to charge her after the fact. Unbelievable.

Translator, Oct 11, 2012 @ 17:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 46

I had to cancel one credit card to show my real protest with HP, after too many times trying to communicated civilizely. Each time I even get a different answer how shall I cancel my membership, which were all different from Julie( the sales who signed me up) told me at the beginning. Extreme point, after two face to face talk with their manager(forgot name now, a fat guy with glasses), he promised me my case will be resolved, and vola, my card were still charged 3 months after his promise!!! Totally 8 months charge after my first attempt to cancel membership...and after I stopped my card, they call me every week, and sold me to different debts collecting company, and threaten to pursuits claiming I owe another 3 months fee....I was totally mad and ignored all, and finally they didn't send me to pursuit, maybe even pursuit doesn't believe HP

I had to cancel one credit card to show my real protest with HP, after too many times trying to communicated civilizely. Each time I even get a different answer how shall I cancel my membership, which were all different from Julie( the sales who signed me up) told me at the beginning. Extreme point, after two face to face talk with their manager(forgot name now, a fat guy with glasses), he promised me my case will be resolved, and vola, my card were still charged 3 months after his promise!!! Totally 8 months charge after my first attempt to cancel membership...and after I stopped my card, they call me every week, and sold me to different debts collecting company, and threaten to pursuits claiming I owe another 3 months fee....I was totally mad and ignored all, and finally they didn't send me to pursuit, maybe even pursuit doesn't believe HP

Rachel Xu Thuillard, Oct 11, 2012 @ 18:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 47

Jan 1, 70 01:00

Interested too!!! whats the price? and for how long?

thank you

Interested too!!! whats the price? and for how long?

thank you

adas, Oct 11, 2012 @ 19:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 48

Oct 11, 12 18:48

Wow! And that is an excellent point. You may be correct about the Office of Poursuites. In any case, even if they do go down that route, you can oppose their claim.

Wow! And that is an excellent point. You may be correct about the Office of Poursuites. In any case, even if they do go down that route, you can oppose their claim.

Translator, Oct 11, 2012 @ 19:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 49

oh boy too bad comments on Holmes Place... just gave my three months notice to end my contract... fingers crossed not have any further trouble...

oh boy too bad comments on Holmes Place... just gave my three months notice to end my contract... fingers crossed not have any further trouble...

Juan Carlos F, Oct 11, 2012 @ 23:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 50

I'm leaving Geneva with my company as of the 1st of November and I have also a corporate membership with a great deal in California Gym (Eaux vives but also access to other 2 centers en Geneva). So far the service has been exceptional and the classess are really good. If anyone is interested in getting my remaining membership of 7 months, just let me know. 

I'm leaving Geneva with my company as of the 1st of November and I have also a corporate membership with a great deal in California Gym (Eaux vives but also access to other 2 centers en Geneva). So far the service has been exceptional and the classess are really good. If anyone is interested in getting my remaining membership of 7 months, just let me know. 

Marchy, Oct 12, 2012 @ 00:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 51

thanks a lot

Mar 30, 10 04:12

Hi Veronica,

I'm actually subscribed to Holmes Places, because it was on the way home, and that was really convenient for me. But now my work place has changed and I think I would like to leave the gym. I also joined a team that train in the open air... for free :)

What I wanted to offer you is, if you are not yet subscribed, to transfer you my contract. This is the only way to leave the gym before the end of the contract (that is not really the end, cause it is renewed automatically unless you ask for it). 

Please, let me know if you are interested.

I have to say that for me it was a very good gym and not crowded when I was used to go (late in the evening :-)). Concerning the price... Geneva price.. what else to say? 

Hi Veronica,

I'm actually subscribed to Holmes Places, because it was on the way home, and that was really convenient for me. But now my work place has changed and I think I would like to leave the gym. I also joined a team that train in the open air... for free :)

What I wanted to offer you is, if you are not yet subscribed, to transfer you my contract. This is the only way to leave the gym before the end of the contract (that is not really the end, cause it is renewed automatically unless you ask for it). 

Please, let me know if you are interested.

I have to say that for me it was a very good gym and not crowded when I was used to go (late in the evening :-)). Concerning the price... Geneva price.. what else to say? 

buthercup_ch, Oct 12, 2012 @ 00:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 52

I am very interested in your 7 months contract as mine is finishing exactly end of this month.

thank you to let me know details,

Adas

I am very interested in your 7 months contract as mine is finishing exactly end of this month.

Adas

adas, Oct 12, 2012 @ 11:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 53

Adas

Oct 12, 12 11:49

Hi Adas,

you were anwering to me?

Have you already subscribed to Holmes Places? I understand that you are and your contract expire end october... Then I do not see the problem if you want to continue, because normally the contract renre automatically.

As far as I know you are perpetuably subscribed untill YOU oficially cancell.

Am I wrong?

Hi Adas,

you were anwering to me?

Have you already subscribed to Holmes Places? I understand that you are and your contract expire end october... Then I do not see the problem if you want to continue, because normally the contract renre automatically.

Am I wrong?

buthercup_ch, Oct 12, 2012 @ 12:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 54

Hi Adas,

you were anwering to me?

Am I wrong?

Oct 12, 12 12:22

Sorry, wassnt to you. Was to someone else.

adas, Oct 12, 2012 @ 12:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 55

Oct 12, 12 12:28

no problem

no problem

buthercup_ch, Oct 12, 2012 @ 12:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 56

How much is your monthly fee for the Holmes contract you are trying to transfer?

thank you,

Ada

How much is your monthly fee for the Holmes contract you are trying to transfer?

thank you,

Ada

adas, Oct 14, 2012 @ 19:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 57

Linda G, Oct 15, 2012 @ 15:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 58

Hi Posterman

I went to check out and found them sleasey and all to posh ,after all the warnings I shall look elsewhere, thanks for sail.

Hi Posterman

I went to check out and found them sleasey and all to posh ,after all the warnings I shall look elsewhere, thanks for sail.

Linda G, Oct 15, 2012 @ 16:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 59

Holmes Place is the worst!!! never sign up there - they always trick you if you try to leave... the wors is Christine Sahyoun is the worst... she makes up stories and then when I tried to speak to the manager.. she even refused to tell me her name. I had to go through the head office in Lisbon!!!

Never again this gym...

Holmes Place is the worst!!! never sign up there - they always trick you if you try to leave... the wors is Christine Sahyoun is the worst... she makes up stories and then when I tried to speak to the manager.. she even refused to tell me her name. I had to go through the head office in Lisbon!!!

Never again this gym...

Isabelle B, Apr 23, 2015 @ 14:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 60

Speaking about it - I expressed my interest in a trial class when I moved to Geneva but then I found a cheaper gym. But one of the workers from Holmes was calling me all the time and asking when I come for a class. I said around 10 times that I'm not interested at the moment but they kept pushing me until I blocked the phone number from Holmes.

Some companies can't understand "No" I guess....

Speaking about it - I expressed my interest in a trial class when I moved to Geneva but then I found a cheaper gym. But one of the workers from Holmes was calling me all the time and asking when I come for a class. I said around 10 times that I'm not interested at the moment but they kept pushing me until I blocked the phone number from Holmes.

Some companies can't understand "No" I guess....

Kris R, Apr 23, 2015 @ 15:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 61

This Gym is a in-your-face rip-off which has been confirmed time and again throughout the years by various Glocals members, including myself.

The only person that supports Holmes place is Nir.

One can only wonder from where such strong solidarity between Nir and the Holmes place management/ownership stems from...hmmm.

Anyways, Pure is an excellent alternative.

Enjoy and...mazal tov ;)

This Gym is a in-your-face rip-off which has been confirmed time and again throughout the years by various Glocals members, including myself.

The only person that supports Holmes place is Nir.

One can only wonder from where such strong solidarity between Nir and the Holmes place management/ownership stems from...hmmm.

Anyways, Pure is an excellent alternative.

Enjoy and...mazal tov ;)

dathrilla, Apr 23, 2015 @ 16:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 62

thank you so much for your quick replies!!!

Sent emails to the CEO, some managers.. and talked with head office in Lisbon... crazy bad services 

thank you so much for your quick replies!!!

Sent emails to the CEO, some managers.. and talked with head office in Lisbon... crazy bad services 

Isabelle B, Apr 23, 2015 @ 16:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 63

I think you should complain to the Finance Police Authorithies. I've been researching and this problems happen for many years. Someone should also write the coordinator and founder of glocals to eliminate Holmes Place in the offers section. The fraud is clear but not for him because Holmes Place know very well who he is... Take note!

I think you should complain to the Finance Police Authorithies. I've been researching and this problems happen for many years. Someone should also write the coordinator and founder of glocals to eliminate Holmes Place in the offers section. The fraud is clear but not for him because Holmes Place know very well who he is... Take note!

Cristina P, Apr 23, 2015 @ 16:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 64

That is a very good idea!

That is a very good idea!

Isabelle B, Apr 23, 2015 @ 17:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 65

Dear Isabelle,

This is Christine Sahyoun.

I am a bit shocked to see your comment as since I have been working for this company, almost 15 years, I have always been here for all our members, trying to help them and to arrange any type of situations. I remember our conversation and how you were upset about our cancelation policy. I tried to explain you patiently the rules of the club and I did my best to find a solution in this delicate situation as I always do. Our accountant proposed you many solutions to help and found the best arrangment for you. I feel sorry about all this and stay at your disposal for anything you might need.

Christine 

Dear Isabelle,

This is Christine Sahyoun.

I am a bit shocked to see your comment as since I have been working for this company, almost 15 years, I have always been here for all our members, trying to help them and to arrange any type of situations. I remember our conversation and how you were upset about our cancelation policy. I tried to explain you patiently the rules of the club and I did my best to find a solution in this delicate situation as I always do. Our accountant proposed you many solutions to help and found the best arrangment for you. I feel sorry about all this and stay at your disposal for anything you might need.

Christine 

Hélène Lambret, Aug 19, 2015 @ 18:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 66

Dear Christine,

I am a long long member of Sindy, GenevaOnline, Glocals since 2000, and WAS a Holmes Place customer (unhappy) around 2002-2003. I am concerned for the other Glocals members in this thread who ALL complain about Holmes Place's tactics for the following reasons:

1. You post here under someone else's profile. Why hide? Ok you introduced yourself in the post

2. I don't think you have read all the posts in this thread. Isabelle's comment is not shocking at all, and says the truth about Holmes Place's fraudulent practices, which I have experienced myself when I wanted to stop my contract as an unhappy customer. I paid dearly... 

3. You must be very good at sales because you haven't been fired yet (after 15 years of embezzling people). The few (or many) complaints on this thread are only the ones of people who dare voice their frustration and anger towards your company. There are MANY more unhappy customers.

4. Holmes Place gyms' customers are mostly well-off expats who don't mind paying high prices to go to a "socialising" gym. When they leave Geneva, many might "pay dearly" the leftover balance without a fight. But not all, and these are the ones you read here.

5. Even employees of Holmes Place have confessed that the company is here to make a maximum of profit on the back of customers. These employees have since long stopped working for Holmes Place. It's not hard to understand why. A fitness gym is supposed to look after the good of their customers health, physical shape and satisfaction. Building a wall between you and them is definitely counter productive on the short and long term, but as you have a steady flow of new and unknowing customers, you can play the same tactics over and over.

I hope that the posts above, including mine, will make you rethink your customer service attitude. If not, I hope at least your inner sense of ethics will tell you that your actions regarding Holmes Place are simply wrong. 

Thank you for reading me to the end, as your post was "la goutte qui fait déborder le vase" and made me finally react.

Sincerey, Patrick

Dear Christine,

I am a long long member of Sindy, GenevaOnline, Glocals since 2000, and WAS a Holmes Place customer (unhappy) around 2002-2003. I am concerned for the other Glocals members in this thread who ALL complain about Holmes Place's tactics for the following reasons:

1. You post here under someone else's profile. Why hide? Ok you introduced yourself in the post

2. I don't think you have read all the posts in this thread. Isabelle's comment is not shocking at all, and says the truth about Holmes Place's fraudulent practices, which I have experienced myself when I wanted to stop my contract as an unhappy customer. I paid dearly... 

3. You must be very good at sales because you haven't been fired yet (after 15 years of embezzling people). The few (or many) complaints on this thread are only the ones of people who dare voice their frustration and anger towards your company. There are MANY more unhappy customers.

4. Holmes Place gyms' customers are mostly well-off expats who don't mind paying high prices to go to a "socialising" gym. When they leave Geneva, many might "pay dearly" the leftover balance without a fight. But not all, and these are the ones you read here.

5. Even employees of Holmes Place have confessed that the company is here to make a maximum of profit on the back of customers. These employees have since long stopped working for Holmes Place. It's not hard to understand why. A fitness gym is supposed to look after the good of their customers health, physical shape and satisfaction. Building a wall between you and them is definitely counter productive on the short and long term, but as you have a steady flow of new and unknowing customers, you can play the same tactics over and over.

I hope that the posts above, including mine, will make you rethink your customer service attitude. If not, I hope at least your inner sense of ethics will tell you that your actions regarding Holmes Place are simply wrong. 

Thank you for reading me to the end, as your post was "la goutte qui fait déborder le vase" and made me finally react.

Sincerey, Patrick

Patrick, Aug 19, 2015 @ 19:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 67

Thank you, Patrick, for high-lighting the fact that “Christine” has borrowed the profile of a member who has never posted anything here before now.

R.

Thank you, Patrick, for high-lighting the fact that “Christine” has borrowed the profile of a member who has never posted anything here before now.

R.

Ritchie, Aug 19, 2015 @ 20:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 68

I tried to cancel my contract which was due to expire at the end of August.  I spoke to them at the start of the month and was initially told that you needed three months notice and could only cancel at the end of a year long contract.  After protesting, they agreed to allow me give three months notice now and cancel in the autumn.  

I have changed my mind though and have decided to stay for now.  I mostly spin there and I'm paying 164CHF per month.  So multiplying how often I spin by the cost of a session in a spin only studio, Holmes Place does make financial sense for me.

But the rapport quality prix is generally poor and I would advise others to stay away.  I have joined nonstop at 49CHF per month for cardio.

Bottom line is that if you are new to Geneva, there are better options out there and that Holmes Place seems tougher to leave than Scientology! :)

I tried to cancel my contract which was due to expire at the end of August.  I spoke to them at the start of the month and was initially told that you needed three months notice and could only cancel at the end of a year long contract.  After protesting, they agreed to allow me give three months notice now and cancel in the autumn.  

I have changed my mind though and have decided to stay for now.  I mostly spin there and I'm paying 164CHF per month.  So multiplying how often I spin by the cost of a session in a spin only studio, Holmes Place does make financial sense for me.

But the rapport quality prix is generally poor and I would advise others to stay away.  I have joined nonstop at 49CHF per month for cardio.

Bottom line is that if you are new to Geneva, there are better options out there and that Holmes Place seems tougher to leave than Scientology! :)

Ray C, Aug 21, 2015 @ 08:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 69

Hi, has anything changed lately or is it still so difficult to quit Holmes Place? I am considering joining but this thread is putting me off!

Hi, has anything changed lately or is it still so difficult to quit Holmes Place? I am considering joining but this thread is putting me off!

Tony G, Feb 26, 2017 @ 13:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 70

My strong recommendation would be to avoid.  Try non-stop which is excellent value for money and now has a lot of branches.

My strong recommendation would be to avoid.  Try non-stop which is excellent value for money and now has a lot of branches.

Ray C, Feb 26, 2017 @ 23:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 71

I would also avoid, depending on where you live or work, there is few new gyms opening around with good promotions. 

I would also avoid, depending on where you live or work, there is few new gyms opening around with good promotions. 

Isabelle B, Feb 27, 2017 @ 08:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 72

Worst experience I've ever had, bad customer service. I signed up few years ago because it was very close to where I live, sales girl was very charming, I guess for her % of comission that she gets. Lost my part time job and couldnt afford to pay for it. I ended up with huge bill, since then I have been receiving bills and phone calls. THAT IS HARRASEMNET DEAR HOLMES.

Stay away from this gym.

Worst experience I've ever had, bad customer service. I signed up few years ago because it was very close to where I live, sales girl was very charming, I guess for her % of comission that she gets. Lost my part time job and couldnt afford to pay for it. I ended up with huge bill, since then I have been receiving bills and phone calls. THAT IS HARRASEMNET DEAR HOLMES.

Stay away from this gym.

iris G, Mar 2, 2017 @ 22:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 73

If someone is still thinking about joining them, or googling it and looking here.. Please don't join Holmes, they promise a lot of stuff when signing the contract, but when it comes time to honor, it's a different thing. 

Non-stop as said is a nice place for the price, also there's Fitness by California which I can't complain. 

If someone is still thinking about joining them, or googling it and looking here.. Please don't join Holmes, they promise a lot of stuff when signing the contract, but when it comes time to honor, it's a different thing. 

Non-stop as said is a nice place for the price, also there's Fitness by California which I can't complain. 

Filipe Gonzaga, Mar 3, 2017 @ 10:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 74

Leave Holmes Place. Buy a bike for the summer, a stand for the bike to work out in the winter at home, a couple of pairs of runnings shoes and a couple of dumbells and you are set for the next 10 years with a couple of thousand CHFs.

Leave Holmes Place. Buy a bike for the summer, a stand for the bike to work out in the winter at home, a couple of pairs of runnings shoes and a couple of dumbells and you are set for the next 10 years with a couple of thousand CHFs.

aires marques, Mar 3, 2017 @ 18:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 75

Patrick

Sep 7, 09 13:51

Hi Patrick,

thanks for your extensive review. Does the gym in Crown Plaza offer classes? or just the equipment? 

Hi Patrick,

thanks for your extensive review. Does the gym in Crown Plaza offer classes? or just the equipment? 

Wedad a, Mar 15, 2017 @ 11:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 76

Hi Patrick,

Mar 15, 17 11:58

Just for the record, Patrick’s review is dated September 2009.

Just for the record, Patrick’s review is dated September 2009.

Ritchie, Mar 15, 2017 @ 12:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 77

That's even worst! Holmes Place Fitness, scamming people since 2009. 

That's even worst! Holmes Place Fitness, scamming people since 2009. 

Filipe Gonzaga, Mar 16, 2017 @ 09:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 78

Hi guys,

Mar 21, 11 20:34

No they do not make it clear.

They will later say that it is "standard practice" in Switzerland, which does not mean that it is a good practice.

I recommend everyone to avoid that place or to take every measure to protect yourself, because they are not consumer friendly. As a arule of thumb I tend to avoid business that look like they invest more in the legal department than in the service they are actually provding. 

No they do not make it clear.

They will later say that it is "standard practice" in Switzerland, which does not mean that it is a good practice.

I recommend everyone to avoid that place or to take every measure to protect yourself, because they are not consumer friendly. As a arule of thumb I tend to avoid business that look like they invest more in the legal department than in the service they are actually provding. 

Joao L, Dec 4, 2017 @ 12:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 79

Is it correct that when you sign a one year contract with Holmes Place you have to pay for that full year but afterwards you can leave at any time by sending a registered letter giving three months notice? (ie the contract does not renew automatically for a full year). That is what it states in my contract but I am not so great at French so would like to be sure.

Is it correct that when you sign a one year contract with Holmes Place you have to pay for that full year but afterwards you can leave at any time by sending a registered letter giving three months notice? (ie the contract does not renew automatically for a full year). That is what it states in my contract but I am not so great at French so would like to be sure.

Tony G, Dec 13, 2017 @ 09:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 80

Hi Tony

Without seeing the specific terms of the contract in front of you I think it is fair to say that this thread is a littany of complaints over the establishment in question, with just one somewhat positive review.

I think the clear advice is to avoid.

Hi Tony

Without seeing the specific terms of the contract in front of you I think it is fair to say that this thread is a littany of complaints over the establishment in question, with just one somewhat positive review.

I think the clear advice is to avoid.

Ray C, Dec 29, 2017 @ 00:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 81
Hello everyone
Holmes or another fitness club you have to be very careful because a mistake is quickly or a bad understanding is possible and once done ... everything is too late ... We must keep everything in writing, and also keep the receipts of recommended
My son also had a lot of problems with fitness at the Cornavin station and we had to pay something he never used ;(
Hello everyone
Holmes or another fitness club you have to be very careful because a mistake is quickly or a bad understanding is possible and once done ... everything is too late ... We must keep everything in writing, and also keep the receipts of recommended
My son also had a lot of problems with fitness at the Cornavin station and we had to pay something he never used ;(
Hanifa o, Dec 29, 2017 @ 12:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 82

It's a shame to hear about such practices. What gyms would people recommend instead?

It's a shame to hear about such practices. What gyms would people recommend instead?

Justin C, Dec 30, 2017 @ 15:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 83

they are full scam.

AVOID  HOLMES PLACE .

poor service . poor equipment . very expensive . 

they are full scam.

AVOID  HOLMES PLACE .

poor service . poor equipment . very expensive . 

K-rimo, Dec 30, 2017 @ 17:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 84

I agree with the concerns expressed here. Holmes Place unilaterally extended my contract by six months, without communicating with me about it in advance, to make up for the time when they were closed during the Covid-19 pandemic. I've written to the Swiss consumer affairs bureau to see about filing a complaint. Does anyone regulate Swiss fitness centers?

I agree with the concerns expressed here. Holmes Place unilaterally extended my contract by six months, without communicating with me about it in advance, to make up for the time when they were closed during the Covid-19 pandemic. I've written to the Swiss consumer affairs bureau to see about filing a complaint. Does anyone regulate Swiss fitness centers?

Meg D, Jan 6, 2023 @ 10:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 85

Jan 6, 23 10:32

This update of a 13-year-old thread makes for an interesting read.

Happy New Year!

This update of a 13-year-old thread makes for an interesting read.

Happy New Year!

Ritchie, Jan 6, 2023 @ 16:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
85 Replies | 20055 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form