Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > How regular cycling can make a difference to your life and body.

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
How regular cycling can make a difference to your life and body.
Here's what Kim had to say:
I have been cycling now for nearly two years and what a difference it has made to my life and body. I've lost 16kg and I am now the fittest I have been since doing my national service (mind you that's a long time ago - I'm 36). Last winter (in the UK) I did very little training due to work commitments but this year I have got much more time for training and are indeed intending to use this as much as possible. I can spare time for three rides during the week; one as recovery, one as either hill or interval training and then a longer club ride in the weekend, between 50-70 miles. Since I have started riding I have constantly improved, but I am still a bit off the level I would like to be at. I don't compete (only against myself) and my main priority next year is to do well in hilly sportive rides (over 100 miles). I feel that my cardio level if very good but my main problem, I think, is my stamina and leg strength. Although some of this may be physiological I would really like to improve and strengthen the muscles that will help me gain the necessary strength, both to climb better and to hold a higher average speed (at the moment 17-19 mph). After a bit of search I have found what I think are some good exercises and intend to do the following 2-3 times per week: Legs (three sets of 20): Squats, calf raises, step ups (using a bench)| Glutes (three sets of 20): Side raises, hip raises, leg kick backs I addition to this I am also going to do some exercises to strengthen my stomach muscles and maybe a weekly Pilates class. My question is: Would I really benefit from these exercises and are they the right ones? How do I best combine this into my cycling training? Do I do them on the same day as being on the bike or do I do them on my days off; if so will the muscles get enough rest/recovery? Hope you can help as I have already learnt so much from your Q&A on this site. Many thanks Kim
Source: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/cyclingnews-fitness-q-and-a-november-4-2010
If you like this article and want to get involved with the bike scene check out our new group Sporty Cycling: http://www.glocals.com/#/groups/geneva/geneva-sporty-cycling-group.htm

The text you are quoting:
Here's what Kim had to say:
I have been cycling now for nearly two years and what a difference it has made to my life and body. I've lost 16kg and I am now the fittest I have been since doing my national service (mind you that's a long time ago - I'm 36). Last winter (in the UK) I did very little training due to work commitments but this year I have got much more time for training and are indeed intending to use this as much as possible. I can spare time for three rides during the week; one as recovery, one as either hill or interval training and then a longer club ride in the weekend, between 50-70 miles. Since I have started riding I have constantly improved, but I am still a bit off the level I would like to be at. I don't compete (only against myself) and my main priority next year is to do well in hilly sportive rides (over 100 miles). I feel that my cardio level if very good but my main problem, I think, is my stamina and leg strength. Although some of this may be physiological I would really like to improve and strengthen the muscles that will help me gain the necessary strength, both to climb better and to hold a higher average speed (at the moment 17-19 mph). After a bit of search I have found what I think are some good exercises and intend to do the following 2-3 times per week: Legs (three sets of 20): Squats, calf raises, step ups (using a bench)| Glutes (three sets of 20): Side raises, hip raises, leg kick backs I addition to this I am also going to do some exercises to strengthen my stomach muscles and maybe a weekly Pilates class. My question is: Would I really benefit from these exercises and are they the right ones? How do I best combine this into my cycling training? Do I do them on the same day as being on the bike or do I do them on my days off; if so will the muscles get enough rest/recovery? Hope you can help as I have already learnt so much from your Q&A on this site. Many thanks Kim
Source: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/cyclingnews-fitness-q-and-a-november-4-2010
If you like this article and want to get involved with the bike scene check out our new group Sporty Cycling: http://www.glocals.com/#/groups/geneva/geneva-sporty-cycling-group.htm
Maurice HNov 4, 2010 @ 15:31
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

15 Replies | 960 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: How regular cycling can make a difference to your life and body.
Post 1

I used to exercise a LOT, I was very fit!!! 

I stopped doing it and not only I gained weight but my upper back has been killing me.... funny enough when I do push ups the pain goes away for a few hours and comes back when I sit doing nothing!

I never cycled before but in Switzerland it's the perfect place for it, so I am looking into it... I am too lazy though

I used to exercise a LOT, I was very fit!!! 

I stopped doing it and not only I gained weight but my upper back has been killing me.... funny enough when I do push ups the pain goes away for a few hours and comes back when I sit doing nothing!

I never cycled before but in Switzerland it's the perfect place for it, so I am looking into it... I am too lazy though

andy o, Nov 6, 2010 @ 13:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

One can exercise a lot but I see many people in the gym and in other scenarios that waste alot of energy with very poor training techniques and lack of basic knowledge.   We're all busy and most of use exercise at times for pleasure but also for necessity.  My take on life is that you need to exercise, like you need to sleep, like you need to eat, it's just something you have to do.  If you stop to think about it then you fall into the "lazy" or don't do it syndrome.  You need a time table a routine and you stick to it, you don't second guess every time.  If you're struggling to get started and you're not perhaps very self motivated, then start with other people and get into a grove that way.  It will also push you a bit harder and enable you to get through the initial pain barrier of starting a sport or activity again.   Good luck and remember persistence pays and no pain no gain, and if someone tells you otherwise then ask them if they've ever one the lottery.   Cheers, M

One can exercise a lot but I see many people in the gym and in other scenarios that waste alot of energy with very poor training techniques and lack of basic knowledge.   We're all busy and most of use exercise at times for pleasure but also for necessity.  My take on life is that you need to exercise, like you need to sleep, like you need to eat, it's just something you have to do.  If you stop to think about it then you fall into the "lazy" or don't do it syndrome.  You need a time table a routine and you stick to it, you don't second guess every time.  If you're struggling to get started and you're not perhaps very self motivated, then start with other people and get into a grove that way.  It will also push you a bit harder and enable you to get through the initial pain barrier of starting a sport or activity again.   Good luck and remember persistence pays and no pain no gain, and if someone tells you otherwise then ask them if they've ever one the lottery.   Cheers, M

Maurice H, Nov 6, 2010 @ 14:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

That is the hardest part, finding the energy to go do it.... However you sort of motivated me hahaha

the Gym sucks, a lot of people use it as a place to show off, or to desperately try to find a date..... I avoid it!

I had very good physical training because of the type of job I did, it involved actually research for better muscles, bones, etc.

we treated a lot of muscle imbalances in people and stuff like that.... however you're right, most of the motivation I had for exercising was that I had developed a routine!

That is the hardest part, finding the energy to go do it.... However you sort of motivated me hahaha

the Gym sucks, a lot of people use it as a place to show off, or to desperately try to find a date..... I avoid it!

I had very good physical training because of the type of job I did, it involved actually research for better muscles, bones, etc.

we treated a lot of muscle imbalances in people and stuff like that.... however you're right, most of the motivation I had for exercising was that I had developed a routine!

andy o, Nov 6, 2010 @ 14:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

The irony is that if you do it you'll find the energy and have more energy afterwards.  I've been a keen cyclist racing for several years now, and like with any competitive sport you have to train hard.  At that time I was also father became a father and so sleep becomes hard to come buy, and one is in a constant state of lethargy, however if you let that get to you you'd never do anything.  Also when you train hard in sports you get use to fatigue because that's what you have to do to your body through training in order for it to become better trained.  If you're not doing it competitively you don't have to train for exhaustion you just need to train with enough intensity to increase stimulate your muscles endorphins and imrpove your metabolic rate.  

Yes gyms suck and I'm not a fan either, so you can run in the morning or afternoon, it's easy and at home and at the office I have a set of dumbells, with which you can do everthing i.e. full body work out.  So where there's a will there's a way my friend.   Good Luck!

The irony is that if you do it you'll find the energy and have more energy afterwards.  I've been a keen cyclist racing for several years now, and like with any competitive sport you have to train hard.  At that time I was also father became a father and so sleep becomes hard to come buy, and one is in a constant state of lethargy, however if you let that get to you you'd never do anything.  Also when you train hard in sports you get use to fatigue because that's what you have to do to your body through training in order for it to become better trained.  If you're not doing it competitively you don't have to train for exhaustion you just need to train with enough intensity to increase stimulate your muscles endorphins and imrpove your metabolic rate.  

Yes gyms suck and I'm not a fan either, so you can run in the morning or afternoon, it's easy and at home and at the office I have a set of dumbells, with which you can do everthing i.e. full body work out.  So where there's a will there's a way my friend.   Good Luck!

Maurice H, Nov 6, 2010 @ 18:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hey Andy

Check out Suzsanna's work outs enough to inspire any red blooded male.

Enjoy.

Hey Andy

Enjoy.

Maurice H, Nov 6, 2010 @ 19:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hey Andy

Enjoy.

Nov 6, 10 19:13

Oh I love zuzanna from www.bodyrock.tv.

she is really amazing , such an inspiration.

Oh I love zuzanna from www.bodyrock.tv.

she is really amazing , such an inspiration.

Coopy, Nov 7, 2010 @ 19:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Yes she's quite an inspiration and got some excellent and very practical exercise videos/programs.  All you need is an exercise, matt, a ball and some dumbells and you can either get a body like Zuzanna or the then Arnold Schwarzenegger... with a bit of work.   And if that sound too much like hard work just watch Zusanna work out there's enough going on there to break a sweat.  

Yes she's quite an inspiration and got some excellent and very practical exercise videos/programs.  All you need is an exercise, matt, a ball and some dumbells and you can either get a body like Zuzanna or the then Arnold Schwarzenegger... with a bit of work.   And if that sound too much like hard work just watch Zusanna work out there's enough going on there to break a sweat.  

Maurice H, Nov 7, 2010 @ 21:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Nov 6, 10 14:19

Show off? Searching for date?!

I have no idea, where which kind of gyms you used to visit, but for example, where I go, everybody is very concentrated, just training hard.

Most of visitors have ipods and all this stuff, nobody looks at each other so daters go to other door ;-)

In my opinion, show off and communication happen outside.

Show off? Searching for date?!

I have no idea, where which kind of gyms you used to visit, but for example, where I go, everybody is very concentrated, just training hard.

Most of visitors have ipods and all this stuff, nobody looks at each other so daters go to other door ;-)

In my opinion, show off and communication happen outside.

Onis, Nov 7, 2010 @ 22:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Maurice, thanks for starting this interesting thread

Cycling and training in general are very useful in a way that it help to release yourself from all negative emotions. Like when you are very tired after hard training, thoughts about troubles seem to be quite far ;-)

Also inspiring is to train with a partner, so there will be no "lazy days"

cheers, Dina

Maurice, thanks for starting this interesting thread

Cycling and training in general are very useful in a way that it help to release yourself from all negative emotions. Like when you are very tired after hard training, thoughts about troubles seem to be quite far ;-)

Also inspiring is to train with a partner, so there will be no "lazy days"

cheers, Dina

Onis, Nov 7, 2010 @ 23:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

About the gyms I think all the comments/observations to date are valid, and could personally site numerous examples.  Back to the basics, yes a training partner is a very tip it works well.   If you want a result you need some consistency otherwise you'll just get furstrated and stop just before. 

It takes a bit of time and a bit of patience, and persistency, and once you break through and start seeing the physical changes then that will start driving you, but at the beginning the mind set is fragile and a training partner helpful.  Be careful, don't just to silly things, if you don't know what you're doing get a coach, they're great for motivation and showing you exactly what you should be doing.   

About the gyms I think all the comments/observations to date are valid, and could personally site numerous examples.  Back to the basics, yes a training partner is a very tip it works well.   If you want a result you need some consistency otherwise you'll just get furstrated and stop just before. 

It takes a bit of time and a bit of patience, and persistency, and once you break through and start seeing the physical changes then that will start driving you, but at the beginning the mind set is fragile and a training partner helpful.  Be careful, don't just to silly things, if you don't know what you're doing get a coach, they're great for motivation and showing you exactly what you should be doing.   

Maurice H, Nov 8, 2010 @ 09:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

So, addresses of these dating-gyms? ;-)

sorry)

Also music inspires a lot! Like I always try to train with my ipod, without it, feels very boring...

So, addresses of these dating-gyms? ;-)

sorry)

Also music inspires a lot! Like I always try to train with my ipod, without it, feels very boring...

Onis, Nov 8, 2010 @ 10:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Don't get distracted Onis, just keep up the volume of your ipod and your breathing steady, and I'll let you in on the info once you've finished your workout.   

Don't get distracted Onis, just keep up the volume of your ipod and your breathing steady, and I'll let you in on the info once you've finished your workout.   

Maurice H, Nov 8, 2010 @ 11:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Some interesting points in this thread. One of my early sporting heroes, UK middle distance runner Brendan Foster, once said that the hardest part of any training session is actually pulling your shorts on in the first place - i.e. wanting to do it. It's a maxim that I always try to remember even when it doesn't work for me.

Gyms: I've just joined a gym after 2 years of living here in Geneva.  Last winter was "bad" for me from the exercise viewpoint. I just found it too freaking cold to get out pounding the streets here during the winter months, so was looking for some way to maintain my exercise regime. So far I've managed to do pretty well in terms of getting there regularly, even though I understand people's aversion to them. And I find them just the same as any gym anywhere - there are some posers (male as well as female) but in general people who are there are interested in getting / staying fit rather than dating - or maybe I've just missed out!

I'm becoming a but of a cycling nut myself.  I bought a hybrid bike early this year, have been getting out on it 4 or 5 times a week. And plan to get a road bike for next summer. Even subscribed to a UK bike magazine. I just need some performance enhancing drugs and I'll be able to enter the Tour de France!!  I think I'm hooked (on the biking, not the drugs) - and there are some great places to explore in this area with stunning views - something you don't get in the gym - well apart from the posers of course!

Some interesting points in this thread. One of my early sporting heroes, UK middle distance runner Brendan Foster, once said that the hardest part of any training session is actually pulling your shorts on in the first place - i.e. wanting to do it. It's a maxim that I always try to remember even when it doesn't work for me.

Gyms: I've just joined a gym after 2 years of living here in Geneva.  Last winter was "bad" for me from the exercise viewpoint. I just found it too freaking cold to get out pounding the streets here during the winter months, so was looking for some way to maintain my exercise regime. So far I've managed to do pretty well in terms of getting there regularly, even though I understand people's aversion to them. And I find them just the same as any gym anywhere - there are some posers (male as well as female) but in general people who are there are interested in getting / staying fit rather than dating - or maybe I've just missed out!

I'm becoming a but of a cycling nut myself.  I bought a hybrid bike early this year, have been getting out on it 4 or 5 times a week. And plan to get a road bike for next summer. Even subscribed to a UK bike magazine. I just need some performance enhancing drugs and I'll be able to enter the Tour de France!!  I think I'm hooked (on the biking, not the drugs) - and there are some great places to explore in this area with stunning views - something you don't get in the gym - well apart from the posers of course!

S99_Geneva, Nov 8, 2010 @ 11:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Yes I know what you mean, I was planning to go on an empty stomach ride this morning at 6pm with lights but just could not face the cold and the possible rain.  I plan to go now but just struggling to put on my shorts!  Undecided

Yes I know what you mean, I was planning to go on an empty stomach ride this morning at 6pm with lights but just could not face the cold and the possible rain.  I plan to go now but just struggling to put on my shorts!  Undecided

Maurice H, Nov 8, 2010 @ 12:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Nov 8, 10 11:54

I have your word ;-)

Dina

I have your word ;-)

Dina

Onis, Nov 8, 2010 @ 15:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
15 Replies | 960 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form