Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > How to buy a car in Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
How to buy a car in Geneva
Hello :)

As winter is approaching (did it ever leave?) i decided i have to buy a car. I found one from a person. Thats as far as i can go without help! So my questions are: How do i sort out insurance/plates/parking, what do i need to know. Basically i want a step-by-step guide. Anyone can help?

The text you are quoting:
Hello :)

As winter is approaching (did it ever leave?) i decided i have to buy a car. I found one from a person. Thats as far as i can go without help! So my questions are: How do i sort out insurance/plates/parking, what do i need to know. Basically i want a step-by-step guide. Anyone can help?

Maria_Jun 10, 2009 @ 08:58
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1019 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: How to buy a car in Geneva
Post 1
...just went through this twice in a month

1) Shop for lowest "liability coverage" (responsabilité civile) insurance (damages caused to other's properties). Rates vary greatly according to car/gender/address/usage/company. www.comparis.ch can help. You can do online most. One cool one is TCS (tcs.ch).

Tips: state that you drive 10'000km or even less; you are the sole operator, take the "rate protection" scheme if it's offered (very convenient to avoid ur rate skyrocketing in case of accident); do not cover passengers (99% Swiss residents have their own coverage); do not take own-car-damage (casco) coverage unless you car is very recent.

2) Request a "certificate" for the motor-vehicles-administration (bureau des auto) to claim your licence plates (you do by phone, they send it by post)

3) BEFORE going to your local motor-vehicles-administration, check their website to verify what documents you need and take them ALL along with you (usualy permis de circulation, your ID/passport/permit & certificate of insurance in point 2).

4) Wait in line to register, smile and obtain your plates (much much faster that by post)

5) Install the plates on your car and cruise merrily by the Lake avoiding those pesty bicycles, scoots & two-legged beings often crossing in front of you

6) Take pictures and post them
...just went through this twice in a month

1) Shop for lowest "liability coverage" (responsabilité civile) insurance (damages caused to other's properties). Rates vary greatly according to car/gender/address/usage/company. www.comparis.ch can help. You can do online most. One cool one is TCS (tcs.ch).

Tips: state that you drive 10'000km or even less; you are the sole operator, take the "rate protection" scheme if it's offered (very convenient to avoid ur rate skyrocketing in case of accident); do not cover passengers (99% Swiss residents have their own coverage); do not take own-car-damage (casco) coverage unless you car is very recent.

2) Request a "certificate" for the motor-vehicles-administration (bureau des auto) to claim your licence plates (you do by phone, they send it by post)

3) BEFORE going to your local motor-vehicles-administration, check their website to verify what documents you need and take them ALL along with you (usualy permis de circulation, your ID/passport/permit & certificate of insurance in point 2).

4) Wait in line to register, smile and obtain your plates (much much faster that by post)

5) Install the plates on your car and cruise merrily by the Lake avoiding those pesty bicycles, scoots & two-legged beings often crossing in front of you

6) Take pictures and post them
swisskiss, Jun 10, 2009 @ 09:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Thanks that was fast!!

So if i understood correctly:

1. Pay the other person and get the car keys. (What does he need to give me with the keys? certificates etc)

2. Decide what insurance i want and ask them for the certificate in #2

3. Go get my plates

4. Post pictures

Right?
Thanks that was fast!!

So if i understood correctly:

1. Pay the other person and get the car keys. (What does he need to give me with the keys? certificates etc)

2. Decide what insurance i want and ask them for the certificate in #2

3. Go get my plates

4. Post pictures

Right?
Maria_, Jun 10, 2009 @ 10:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
right :) ...paying is optional and entirely up to you lol but keys are definitely a huge convenience.

... you need to get the title of the car from the person, that is the grey document that says "permis de circulation" in four languages on it. You want to get the original not a photocopy (check: there are two gold & pink holographic bands in the inside).

the "key" might actually be a remote-control and you really (read: absolutely) need it, less you like to make a fool of yourself trying to open the car using the regular old-fashioned metallic key.

my two cent male advice to a charming lady (comes from recent experience) :cool:

If it's indeed a remote-control, it will likely be multi-purpose. Make sure the seller shows you how to operate it (whre to point it etc..)

There are at least two sets of those controls

In case you loose one, the spare control will be where you least expect it. So start looking there first. Most ladies will keep it in the glove-box inside the car. If this happens, go buy a new car.

One of these controls might be a "blonde-remote", that's a simplified version with only two open/lock button. Explanation of the extraterrestrial cryptograms featured on it are in the manual.

If you decide to use mainly the "blonde-remote" make sure you identify where is the gasoline-trap and how to open it manually from inside the car. Same advice for the trunk

If the remote doesn't control anymore, it's most likely the little battery inside. Change the little battery only, the car still works fine

Don't get unwanted exposure: if you lock the car using the remote-control, unlock it using the remote-control too

The remote may also start the engine in some higher-end cars. Don't call road-assistance, identify the right button on the remote and use it

Pressing the buttons on the remote while operating the car is never a great idea as it may trigger unwanted actions (i.e. the car turning into a pumpkin)

Good ride :)
right :) ...paying is optional and entirely up to you lol but keys are definitely a huge convenience.

... you need to get the title of the car from the person, that is the grey document that says "permis de circulation" in four languages on it. You want to get the original not a photocopy (check: there are two gold & pink holographic bands in the inside).

the "key" might actually be a remote-control and you really (read: absolutely) need it, less you like to make a fool of yourself trying to open the car using the regular old-fashioned metallic key.

my two cent male advice to a charming lady (comes from recent experience) :cool:

If it's indeed a remote-control, it will likely be multi-purpose. Make sure the seller shows you how to operate it (whre to point it etc..)

There are at least two sets of those controls

In case you loose one, the spare control will be where you least expect it. So start looking there first. Most ladies will keep it in the glove-box inside the car. If this happens, go buy a new car.

One of these controls might be a "blonde-remote", that's a simplified version with only two open/lock button. Explanation of the extraterrestrial cryptograms featured on it are in the manual.

If you decide to use mainly the "blonde-remote" make sure you identify where is the gasoline-trap and how to open it manually from inside the car. Same advice for the trunk

If the remote doesn't control anymore, it's most likely the little battery inside. Change the little battery only, the car still works fine

Don't get unwanted exposure: if you lock the car using the remote-control, unlock it using the remote-control too

The remote may also start the engine in some higher-end cars. Don't call road-assistance, identify the right button on the remote and use it

Pressing the buttons on the remote while operating the car is never a great idea as it may trigger unwanted actions (i.e. the car turning into a pumpkin)

Good ride :)
swisskiss, Jun 10, 2009 @ 12:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
If your answer was not that funny i would consider it offensive :P

Ok so now there is one thing left.

Is there any charming (not required but an advantage), polite, knowledgable man that can help me get through the whole process with minumun stress? Speaking French is also required :)
If your answer was not that funny i would consider it offensive :P

Ok so now there is one thing left.

Is there any charming (not required but an advantage), polite, knowledgable man that can help me get through the whole process with minumun stress? Speaking French is also required :)
Maria_, Jun 10, 2009 @ 12:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
absolutely no offense meant :kiss: 'had to "save the world" by handling all above hilarious issues very recently with same one person and thought about sharing them (except for the pumpkin thing but I wouldn't have been that surprised after all)
absolutely no offense meant :kiss: 'had to "save the world" by handling all above hilarious issues very recently with same one person and thought about sharing them (except for the pumpkin thing but I wouldn't have been that surprised after all)
swisskiss, Jun 10, 2009 @ 14:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Hehe...

I can imagine tha face of the person that actually heard them!

Hilarious!

Ok back to the topic now!
Hehe...

I can imagine tha face of the person that actually heard them!

Hilarious!

Ok back to the topic now!
Maria_, Jun 10, 2009 @ 17:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1019 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form