Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > How to find a DOG-friendly apartment in Geneva... (?)

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
How to find a DOG-friendly apartment in Geneva... (?)

I'm not sure where else to post this question, but...if anyone has any general helpful advice on how I can start effectively looking for this supposedly impossible wish of mine (finding a dog-friendly apartment near Geneva), it'd be greatly appreciated.

For example...any particular neighborhood recommends? Any particular people in the know you could put me in touch with? Anything is helpful, thanks.

The text you are quoting:

I'm not sure where else to post this question, but...if anyone has any general helpful advice on how I can start effectively looking for this supposedly impossible wish of mine (finding a dog-friendly apartment near Geneva), it'd be greatly appreciated.

For example...any particular neighborhood recommends? Any particular people in the know you could put me in touch with? Anything is helpful, thanks.

J HDec 23, 2010 @ 22:46
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 3283 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: How to find a DOG-friendly apartment in Geneva... (?)
Post 1

Hi

Finding an apartment to rent in Geneva is almost impossible regardless of your personal circumstances. There is really no rhyme or reason or logic to the process, it really is a case of right place right time and pot luck.

Switzerland is actually very dog friendly and we were shown lots of apartments where the landlord was happy to allow our dog. What you may find is that the closer to the centre, the more popular the area and the better value the apartment then the more difficult you will find it. Probably because so many people will apply and there will be more attractive candidates than you.

There is no logical reason for a landlord to say no because they have 3 months damage deposit and you have to have insurance to cover for damages anyway.

We live in Confignon which is approx 20 mins from the centre by bus and I see lots of dogs up here. Confignon, Bernex and Onex would be good areas to look because there is some good walking in the area. If you are not hell bent on Geneva then Vaud would also be a good area.

Good luck.

Hi

Finding an apartment to rent in Geneva is almost impossible regardless of your personal circumstances. There is really no rhyme or reason or logic to the process, it really is a case of right place right time and pot luck.

Switzerland is actually very dog friendly and we were shown lots of apartments where the landlord was happy to allow our dog. What you may find is that the closer to the centre, the more popular the area and the better value the apartment then the more difficult you will find it. Probably because so many people will apply and there will be more attractive candidates than you.

There is no logical reason for a landlord to say no because they have 3 months damage deposit and you have to have insurance to cover for damages anyway.

We live in Confignon which is approx 20 mins from the centre by bus and I see lots of dogs up here. Confignon, Bernex and Onex would be good areas to look because there is some good walking in the area. If you are not hell bent on Geneva then Vaud would also be a good area.

Good luck.

Colette D, Dec 24, 2010 @ 09:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

We have two dogs and found that living in Bardonnex is very nice for dogs, with tons of trainls and fields for the to play.   

By bus/tram we are about 45 min from downtown Geneva, and by Car about 25 mins.  

Good Luck.

We have two dogs and found that living in Bardonnex is very nice for dogs, with tons of trainls and fields for the to play.   

By bus/tram we are about 45 min from downtown Geneva, and by Car about 25 mins.  

Good Luck.

Erik Anderson, Dec 24, 2010 @ 09:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

It is difficult enough to find a "people friendly" apartment in Geneva :-) I would suggest you just search and when applying make sure to check whether dogs are allowed, it will always be stated in the contract. I would not mention that I have a dog or want to get one when applying though :-) 

It is difficult enough to find a "people friendly" apartment in Geneva :-) I would suggest you just search and when applying make sure to check whether dogs are allowed, it will always be stated in the contract. I would not mention that I have a dog or want to get one when applying though :-) 

Caroline K, Dec 24, 2010 @ 12:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Oh, great, thank you--I think the answer is in these smaller cities in the outskirts of Geneva, so it's really helpful to have some specific city names to start investigating...thank you, and keep 'em coming, if anyone else has more ideas.

Oh, great, thank you--I think the answer is in these smaller cities in the outskirts of Geneva, so it's really helpful to have some specific city names to start investigating...thank you, and keep 'em coming, if anyone else has more ideas.

J H, Dec 24, 2010 @ 16:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

ps, I'm assuming finding housing in these kinds of cities works the same way as Geneva (?)--ie, glocals, easyWG, etc... I haven't seen these specific cities show up in my searches yet, but I really haven't searched specifically for housing in these places yet, so I'll keep trying.

ps, I'm assuming finding housing in these kinds of cities works the same way as Geneva (?)--ie, glocals, easyWG, etc... I haven't seen these specific cities show up in my searches yet, but I really haven't searched specifically for housing in these places yet, so I'll keep trying.

J H, Dec 24, 2010 @ 16:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 3283 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form