Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > How to make a good battle lose support. Dam' green jerks.

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
How to make a good battle lose support. Dam' green jerks.

Friday afternoon. People tired after a week at work are trying to finally get back home and enjoy the week end, go party, spend time with their children, meet friends...

... but a bunch of intolerant idiots filled with good intentions and convinced of the absolute goodness of their ideas decided to block the road with their bicicles!

Every friday afternoon! Right in the center of Geneva!

Yell

I'm sensitive to the ecological debate, but after seeing those dorks invading other people's lives again and again ...

Despite having a big family we decided to only have one car, I have the full TPG pass (for several years already), and I'd use the car much less if only I could let it parked (no parking for residents around here. Sorry!).

Only: it is an SUV (not a sports one: a family one with a normal -not huge- engine) and some jerk thought they would raise simpathy for the debate against SUV by scratching the paint of parked SUVs and signing the good deed with a sticker supporting the prohibition of SUVs.

Result:

- I had the paint redone on the insurance, with the consequent useless pollution,

- I wrote a furious letter to Greenpeace (at the origin of the campaign of the  sticker) and stopped supporting them

- I'm much less enthusiast when I'm asked to support green initiatives.

Now those well intentioned idiots on their bikes are blocking the road obliging a lot of people in traffic, Including the ones like me who took the bus, and those who would love to, if only it was an alternative for them (for many people living in the region, it simply isn't).

The result, I'm afraid, will be to alienate the sympathy of a lot of people who would otherwise support much more willingly these important and just battles.

They certainly obtained it with me!

Good ideas cannot be imposed. If they needed it, probably they were not that good!

The text you are quoting:

Friday afternoon. People tired after a week at work are trying to finally get back home and enjoy the week end, go party, spend time with their children, meet friends...

... but a bunch of intolerant idiots filled with good intentions and convinced of the absolute goodness of their ideas decided to block the road with their bicicles!

Every friday afternoon! Right in the center of Geneva!

Yell

I'm sensitive to the ecological debate, but after seeing those dorks invading other people's lives again and again ...

Despite having a big family we decided to only have one car, I have the full TPG pass (for several years already), and I'd use the car much less if only I could let it parked (no parking for residents around here. Sorry!).

Only: it is an SUV (not a sports one: a family one with a normal -not huge- engine) and some jerk thought they would raise simpathy for the debate against SUV by scratching the paint of parked SUVs and signing the good deed with a sticker supporting the prohibition of SUVs.

Result:

- I had the paint redone on the insurance, with the consequent useless pollution,

- I wrote a furious letter to Greenpeace (at the origin of the campaign of the  sticker) and stopped supporting them

- I'm much less enthusiast when I'm asked to support green initiatives.

Now those well intentioned idiots on their bikes are blocking the road obliging a lot of people in traffic, Including the ones like me who took the bus, and those who would love to, if only it was an alternative for them (for many people living in the region, it simply isn't).

The result, I'm afraid, will be to alienate the sympathy of a lot of people who would otherwise support much more willingly these important and just battles.

They certainly obtained it with me!

Good ideas cannot be imposed. If they needed it, probably they were not that good!

Stef__GrannySep 24, 2010 @ 18:58
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1003 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: How to make a good battle lose support. Dam' green jerks.
Post 1

And I don't understand why, smileys and formatting don't work for me! :(

And I don't understand why, smileys and formatting don't work for me! :(

Stef__Granny, Sep 24, 2010 @ 19:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Stef.

I told you this "Tree Hugging Hamster Saving Dog on a Rope Unwashed Dreadlock Wearing" bunch of hippies were no good for you, and would stab you in the back one day......you didnt listen..sigh

Cars in traffic pollute more than those running smoothly even on motorways... so if the city (in association with the "green tree hugging dog on a rope unwashed hamster savers") actually improved the road systems, created parking, offered public transport options that were viable, and stopped those asses creating traffic jams , we would have less polution.

With some "do gooders" they fail to grasp the big picture, and think that their individual action will save the planet, when in fact their misguided falsity actually worsens the situation.

Gotta "cull" the weak to let the strong survive....  

Stef.

I told you this "Tree Hugging Hamster Saving Dog on a Rope Unwashed Dreadlock Wearing" bunch of hippies were no good for you, and would stab you in the back one day......you didnt listen..sigh

Cars in traffic pollute more than those running smoothly even on motorways... so if the city (in association with the "green tree hugging dog on a rope unwashed hamster savers") actually improved the road systems, created parking, offered public transport options that were viable, and stopped those asses creating traffic jams , we would have less polution.

With some "do gooders" they fail to grasp the big picture, and think that their individual action will save the planet, when in fact their misguided falsity actually worsens the situation.

Gotta "cull" the weak to let the strong survive....  

Charlie, Sep 28, 2010 @ 10:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Living centrally I rarely use a car but agree totally with your comments on the senseless blocking of roads (by so-called save the worldies that do more harm than good) but what really worries me is how do live with out smilies Cry

Living centrally I rarely use a car but agree totally with your comments on the senseless blocking of roads (by so-called save the worldies that do more harm than good) but what really worries me is how do live with out smilies Cry

Paul E, Sep 28, 2010 @ 10:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

David,

mission accomplished. Tongue out

Charlie,

I wanna see you in dreadlocks!

(Humankind evolved way beyond Darwin's principles: in human terms, if you need to cull the weak to let the strong survive, the strong are not worth surviving!) Cool

David,

Charlie,

(Humankind evolved way beyond Darwin's principles: in human terms, if you need to cull the weak to let the strong survive, the strong are not worth surviving!) Cool

Stef__Granny, Sep 28, 2010 @ 11:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Stef - I see the smilies are now working for you.

Maybe Greenpeace has magical powers we're not aware of...

Stef - I see the smilies are now working for you.

Maybe Greenpeace has magical powers we're not aware of...

SiteAdmin Oded, Sep 28, 2010 @ 11:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

David,

Charlie,

Sep 28, 10 11:12

mmmm.... dreadlocks indeed... now I have an idea for halloween...

As to Darwin and whether you can disjoint humankind away from those principles, thats another discussion, and frankly it is the arrogance of humans to lift themselves above animals (which we all are) that has led us to so many problems we have today.

(that and political correctness that prevents me from telling what I think)

mmmm.... dreadlocks indeed... now I have an idea for halloween...

As to Darwin and whether you can disjoint humankind away from those principles, thats another discussion, and frankly it is the arrogance of humans to lift themselves above animals (which we all are) that has led us to so many problems we have today.

(that and political correctness that prevents me from telling what I think)

Charlie, Sep 28, 2010 @ 11:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1003 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form