Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > I need a place to play my violin

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
I need a place to play my violin

Hi, I am a semi-professional violinist with experience of 16 years, I came from ASIA and do my internship here.But my landlord warned me not to play at home for fear of disturbance to my neighbours. I am not familiar with traditions at Geneva,since musicans are not allowed to play at home, where they should play?And where should I play? 

As a semi-professional, nomally I should play everyday to keep my skill in good condition.And the music I played is not popular music, it is something like compositions from Bach, Beethoven, Wieniavsky, Concerto and small pieces. I hope local Geneva people can give me some useful advice since Europe is the hometown of classical music. I do not hope to see classical music is forgotten in Europe then I will feel very disappointed.

The text you are quoting:

Hi, I am a semi-professional violinist with experience of 16 years, I came from ASIA and do my internship here.But my landlord warned me not to play at home for fear of disturbance to my neighbours. I am not familiar with traditions at Geneva,since musicans are not allowed to play at home, where they should play?And where should I play? 

As a semi-professional, nomally I should play everyday to keep my skill in good condition.And the music I played is not popular music, it is something like compositions from Bach, Beethoven, Wieniavsky, Concerto and small pieces. I hope local Geneva people can give me some useful advice since Europe is the hometown of classical music. I do not hope to see classical music is forgotten in Europe then I will feel very disappointed.

Alexander LFeb 5, 2011 @ 09:28
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1221 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: I need a place to play my violin
Post 1

Any local people here? Is that generally inappropriate for me to play in my

apartment?

I ask this quesiton because I really wish to build a good relation with my

neighbourhood and I do not know the tradition in Geneva.

I do not creat noise since my skill has reached semi-professional level.

Thank you very much.

Any local people here? Is that generally inappropriate for me to play in my

apartment?

I ask this quesiton because I really wish to build a good relation with my

neighbourhood and I do not know the tradition in Geneva.

I do not creat noise since my skill has reached semi-professional level.

Thank you very much.

Alexander L, Feb 5, 2011 @ 21:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hello Alexander,

I do not know what is possible or not in Switzerland for musicians to practice an instrument at home, but if your landlord is not confortable with it, I  would say it is best to follow his advice.

Otherwise, with your advance level, here some ideas:

(1) Conservatoire de musique de Genève
[rue de l'Arquebuse 12 (Place Neuve), tel.: 022 319 6060]; or

(2) Maison de Quartier des Pâquis
where there is a practice room open to the public (Local public de répétition)
[50 rue de Berne, Pâquis, tél.: 022 909 8899, http://www.mqpaquis.ch/]

(3) - or - at the place where you are doing your internship, perhaps you can find a room that can be used after office hours??

All the best!!

Hello Alexander,

I do not know what is possible or not in Switzerland for musicians to practice an instrument at home, but if your landlord is not confortable with it, I  would say it is best to follow his advice.

Otherwise, with your advance level, here some ideas:

(1) Conservatoire de musique de Genève
[rue de l'Arquebuse 12 (Place Neuve), tel.: 022 319 6060]; or

(2) Maison de Quartier des Pâquis
where there is a practice room open to the public (Local public de répétition)
[50 rue de Berne, Pâquis, tél.: 022 909 8899, http://www.mqpaquis.ch/]

(3) - or - at the place where you are doing your internship, perhaps you can find a room that can be used after office hours??

All the best!!

nomades, Feb 5, 2011 @ 23:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

First, I'm assuming you're talking of playing during "normal" hours and not during crazy ones. 

Then, it all depends on your neighbors. You might fall on ass holes that will immediatly complain, and you might fall on relaxed folks (who may even enjoy your music). In your shoes, I'd put a little note at the entrance to the building, telling your neighbors that you're a semi pro player, and that you'll practice from time to time. 

I'd assure them that practice will be held only during normal hours, and that if there's any issue they could knock on your door and you'll stop playing. 

Then I'd play away...

First, I'm assuming you're talking of playing during "normal" hours and not during crazy ones. 

Then, it all depends on your neighbors. You might fall on ass holes that will immediatly complain, and you might fall on relaxed folks (who may even enjoy your music). In your shoes, I'd put a little note at the entrance to the building, telling your neighbors that you're a semi pro player, and that you'll practice from time to time. 

I'd assure them that practice will be held only during normal hours, and that if there's any issue they could knock on your door and you'll stop playing. 

Then I'd play away...

Nir Ofek, Feb 6, 2011 @ 01:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Try Catalyse, off Route de Chêne, TPG stop  Grange-Canal

14, Rosemont
1208 Genève Suisse
T. +41(0)22 700 64 75/84

http://www.catalyse.ch/accelerateur_de_talents/index.php/en_GB/association_base/image_coccinelle-just-dif.html

and here:

Conservatoire populaire de musique, danse et théâtre
Boulevard de Saint-Georges 36
1205 GENEVE

Tél: 022 329 67 22

Try Catalyse, off Route de Chêne, TPG stop  Grange-Canal

14, Rosemont
1208 Genève Suisse
T. +41(0)22 700 64 75/84

http://www.catalyse.ch/accelerateur_de_talents/index.php/en_GB/association_base/image_coccinelle-just-dif.html

and here:

Conservatoire populaire de musique, danse et théâtre
Boulevard de Saint-Georges 36
1205 GENEVE

Tél: 022 329 67 22

Translator, Feb 6, 2011 @ 04:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

10 Rue De Alpes rehearsal rooms cheap too!!

10 Rue De Alpes rehearsal rooms cheap too!!

wendi4y, Feb 6, 2011 @ 10:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

AMR on Rue des Alpes is a jazz club but with great rehearsal rooms where you can play whatever you want. Membership is 150chf (i think) for a year which gives you unlimited use of the rooms and discounts on concerts. I often plug in my electric guitars at home and practice all day without any complaints. Just depends on your neighbours I guess.

AMR on Rue des Alpes is a jazz club but with great rehearsal rooms where you can play whatever you want. Membership is 150chf (i think) for a year which gives you unlimited use of the rooms and discounts on concerts. I often plug in my electric guitars at home and practice all day without any complaints. Just depends on your neighbours I guess.

DanHunter, Feb 20, 2011 @ 13:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1221 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form