Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > I-phone, bad idea to subscribe to orange or swisscom to get i-phone?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
I-phone, bad idea to subscribe to orange or swisscom to get i-phone?
I had a look at the previous threads relating to the i-phone in geneva (very helpful, thank you). 
i'd like to know what people think about 'renting' an i-phone from swisscom or orange. 
with orange for example you pay around 200chf up front to have the phone for a year and then 40chf every month (for the most basic model). but i dont think this includes texts so at their rate of .25chf that would bump up the monthly payment to around 80chf (taking into account my monthly number of texts). all in all thats 1160chf for one year, and i still dont own the phone. 
if this seems crazy what are the alternatives? and someone did helpfully mention the Nokia N95 8GB  as an alternative. but same question, whether to buy or rent?
thanks for your time.
The text you are quoting:
I had a look at the previous threads relating to the i-phone in geneva (very helpful, thank you). 
i'd like to know what people think about 'renting' an i-phone from swisscom or orange. 
with orange for example you pay around 200chf up front to have the phone for a year and then 40chf every month (for the most basic model). but i dont think this includes texts so at their rate of .25chf that would bump up the monthly payment to around 80chf (taking into account my monthly number of texts). all in all thats 1160chf for one year, and i still dont own the phone. 
if this seems crazy what are the alternatives? and someone did helpfully mention the Nokia N95 8GB  as an alternative. but same question, whether to buy or rent?
thanks for your time.
manics1984Oct 5, 2009 @ 11:31
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 1237 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: I-phone, bad idea to subscribe to orange or swisscom to get i-phone?
Post 1
 I have never heard of a phone company in Switzerland renting out phones, normally
the sum you pay up front is to buy the phone, which depends on what type of contract you take
to how much the upfront sum will cost you.
I think you may have
misunderstood how it works. The 200 francs will be to buy the phone with an obligation to use
Orange for one year which will cost you 40 chf per month for the use of the orange network, not
including calls or texts.
 I have never heard of a phone company in Switzerland renting out phones, normally
the sum you pay up front is to buy the phone, which depends on what type of contract you take
to how much the upfront sum will cost you.
I think you may have
misunderstood how it works. The 200 francs will be to buy the phone with an obligation to use
Orange for one year which will cost you 40 chf per month for the use of the orange network, not
including calls or texts.
DJ_Symcard, Oct 5, 2009 @ 14:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
great, thanks for your post DJ_Symcard. that does make more sense!
great, thanks for your post DJ_Symcard. that does make more sense!
manics1984, Oct 5, 2009 @ 14:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
... Yes, and after your contract expires the i-Phone is yours. And its still "locked" to Swiss or
Orange, ... So, whose it is than? Yours? I don't think so. And don't afford to lose it! It happened
to me. Than what? You buy another by Apple. Check it out. Because no-com care about.
... Yes, and after your contract expires the i-Phone is yours. And its still "locked" to Swiss or
Orange, ... So, whose it is than? Yours? I don't think so. And don't afford to lose it! It happened
to me. Than what? You buy another by Apple. Check it out. Because no-com care about.
klemenov, Oct 5, 2009 @ 15:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 1237 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form