Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Installing AC in Geneva: impossible

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Installing AC in Geneva: impossible

I heard it's next to impossible for individuals to install fixed Air Conditioners in Geneva due to legal constraits but never believed it, until I saw this Tribune de Geneve article:

http://www.tdg.ch/suisse/installer-propre-clim-suisse-nest-facile/story/23358052?track

In short, they say the law states that unless you have an extreme reason for needing a fixed AC (like a medical condition or medicines that need cold temp), you won't be allowed to install it. You can use portable AC machines, but those (from experience) are weaker and are very loud. 

So we're bound to keep frying for now...

What do you guys think: are the laws justified in this case?

The text you are quoting:

I heard it's next to impossible for individuals to install fixed Air Conditioners in Geneva due to legal constraits but never believed it, until I saw this Tribune de Geneve article:

http://www.tdg.ch/suisse/installer-propre-clim-suisse-nest-facile/story/23358052?track

In short, they say the law states that unless you have an extreme reason for needing a fixed AC (like a medical condition or medicines that need cold temp), you won't be allowed to install it. You can use portable AC machines, but those (from experience) are weaker and are very loud. 

So we're bound to keep frying for now...

What do you guys think: are the laws justified in this case?

Nir OfekJul 17, 2015 @ 11:38
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

15 Replies | 1400 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Installing AC in Geneva: impossible
Post 1

Apropos curious laws : our son and his family have just left to return home to UK.

Last year, and this year, he wanted to swim with his two little girls in the swimming pools in France. Not allowed are "normal" male swim-wear, only Speedos and Boxers [which he does not have, and would not wear anyway]. We thought this is a curious Evian, Thonon, Yvoire etc. rule. Not so, it is France-wide! Amazing. Does anyone understand why?

Sorry Nir, didn't mean to poach your interesting question on AC installation, just thought our story was equally bizarre.

Apropos curious laws : our son and his family have just left to return home to UK.

Last year, and this year, he wanted to swim with his two little girls in the swimming pools in France. Not allowed are "normal" male swim-wear, only Speedos and Boxers [which he does not have, and would not wear anyway]. We thought this is a curious Evian, Thonon, Yvoire etc. rule. Not so, it is France-wide! Amazing. Does anyone understand why?

Sorry Nir, didn't mean to poach your interesting question on AC installation, just thought our story was equally bizarre.

sheila c, Jul 17, 2015 @ 12:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

You are such a sissy, Nir. It's not that hot...

Casuistik, Jul 17, 2015 @ 12:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Jul 17, 15 12:02

they have that in some Swiss pools. If the bathing suit is the usual surf-pants type and it's too long, they don't allow it in the pool. They say it's something to do with hygiene, but i don't get it

they have that in some Swiss pools. If the bathing suit is the usual surf-pants type and it's too long, they don't allow it in the pool. They say it's something to do with hygiene, but i don't get it

Nir Ofek, Jul 17, 2015 @ 12:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Jul 17, 15 12:25

I'm not just a sissy, i'm a melting sissy...

I'm not just a sissy, i'm a melting sissy...

Nir Ofek, Jul 17, 2015 @ 12:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

The long bermuda or sur pants type bathing suits are forbidden for hygiene reasons. Because the guys would wear them all day, sitting goddess knows where on the ground, in the dirt, dragging all type of germs, dirt and all other sort of nasty stuff back into the pool with them...

The nice and fresh swimming pool where you and loved ones are enjoying a relaxing swim... swallowing some of that tasty soup once in a while...

Are you telling me that this stilldoesn't make sense to you? Laughing

Well, I, for one, am happy there is such a rule here.

The long bermuda or sur pants type bathing suits are forbidden for hygiene reasons. Because the guys would wear them all day, sitting goddess knows where on the ground, in the dirt, dragging all type of germs, dirt and all other sort of nasty stuff back into the pool with them...

The nice and fresh swimming pool where you and loved ones are enjoying a relaxing swim... swallowing some of that tasty soup once in a while...

Phoebe, Jul 17, 2015 @ 13:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Back to the AC installation stupid rules... they're saying that, as an individual, we can only request the installation of an AC at home if we have some sort of medical condition.

WTF?!?! (excuse my french!)

Is it covered by the health insurance, is that why??

I need to have a talk with my GP soon... Tongue Out

Back to the AC installation stupid rules... they're saying that, as an individual, we can only request the installation of an AC at home if we have some sort of medical condition.

WTF?!?! (excuse my french!)

Is it covered by the health insurance, is that why??

I need to have a talk with my GP soon... Tongue Out

Phoebe, Jul 17, 2015 @ 14:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Understood Phoebe

Makes sense. Tks

Understood Phoebe

Makes sense. Tks

sheila c, Jul 17, 2015 @ 14:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Jul 17, 15 13:56

ah, I get it. so it's not the length itself that bothers them, it's the fact that people might have worn the pants for "everyday clothes". I get it. Makes some sense. Although...

I read the biggest issue in pools is not some dirt we bring from outside, but the fact that (WARNING: not nice to read) each person who goes into the pool carries with them some remains of fecal matter. With thousands of people visiting the popular pools each day, that's a lot of shit in the water...

ah, I get it. so it's not the length itself that bothers them, it's the fact that people might have worn the pants for "everyday clothes". I get it. Makes some sense. Although...

I read the biggest issue in pools is not some dirt we bring from outside, but the fact that (WARNING: not nice to read) each person who goes into the pool carries with them some remains of fecal matter. With thousands of people visiting the popular pools each day, that's a lot of shit in the water...

Nir Ofek, Jul 17, 2015 @ 14:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

LOL Nir.. I know!! I didn't want to highlight this part of the experience.

Not to mention people peeing in the pool too....

LOL Nir.. I know!! I didn't want to highlight this part of the experience.

Not to mention people peeing in the pool too....

Phoebe, Jul 17, 2015 @ 14:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Yep... not to mention that teens keep their dirty undies underneath their "clothes for the day" when they go swimming... Yuck!

Yep... not to mention that teens keep their dirty undies underneath their "clothes for the day" when they go swimming... Yuck!

Casuistik, Jul 17, 2015 @ 14:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

I have no issue with speedos becuase I'm so toned and look great in them :-/    The reason is hygene for sure, yes wearing 'outside' clothes into the pool.. But those same people have worn the speedos all day under their shorts so it's a bit of a nonsense.  And that's what the chlorine is there for anyway, to kill the germs?

Although would you eat poop after washing it in chlorine? It's still poop right :)

I have no issue with speedos becuase I'm so toned and look great in them :-/    The reason is hygene for sure, yes wearing 'outside' clothes into the pool.. But those same people have worn the speedos all day under their shorts so it's a bit of a nonsense.  And that's what the chlorine is there for anyway, to kill the germs?

Although would you eat poop after washing it in chlorine? It's still poop right :)

John H, Jul 18, 2015 @ 11:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

I read that article about AC too and I think that's absurd.  The geniuses that thought this law were inspired by ecology and energy-saving principles; however, since people can't install wall-fixed ACs they have to resort to mobile AC units which are much noisier and less energy efficient: a perfect example of cobra effect.

Oh well.  Anyway, being a Geneva law, probably there's a loophole somewhere you can exploit.

I read that article about AC too and I think that's absurd.  The geniuses that thought this law were inspired by ecology and energy-saving principles; however, since people can't install wall-fixed ACs they have to resort to mobile AC units which are much noisier and less energy efficient: a perfect example of cobra effect.

Oh well.  Anyway, being a Geneva law, probably there's a loophole somewhere you can exploit.

TheOmegaMan, Jul 18, 2015 @ 22:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Jul 17, 15 12:29

Because often those are worn as 'normal clothing' in the street etc, meaning that they may be dirt-encrusted, or paint-encrusted etc.

Because often those are worn as 'normal clothing' in the street etc, meaning that they may be dirt-encrusted, or paint-encrusted etc.

bearded09, Jul 26, 2015 @ 19:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Speedos and Boxers ARE normal male swim-wear.

Speedos and Boxers ARE normal male swim-wear.

bearded09, Jul 26, 2015 @ 19:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Jul 18, 15 11:08

Well, chlorine can only deal with so much. If everyone came in with 'poop', then the level of chlorine needed would likely kill people. It's a bit like saying you don't need to wash your hands, because that's what antibiotics are for.

Well, chlorine can only deal with so much. If everyone came in with 'poop', then the level of chlorine needed would likely kill people. It's a bit like saying you don't need to wash your hands, because that's what antibiotics are for.

bearded09, Jul 26, 2015 @ 19:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
15 Replies | 1400 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form