Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Insurance for interns

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Insurance for interns

Hi again folks

I start my (unpaid) internship in August and one of the requirements is that i have my own health insurance arranged before i start,

I live in France (Just) and was told that it's cheaper to get French insurance... is this true? if so, can it be paid monthly and what's the cheapest yet most effective cover?

Thanks in advance x

The text you are quoting:

Hi again folks

I start my (unpaid) internship in August and one of the requirements is that i have my own health insurance arranged before i start,

I live in France (Just) and was told that it's cheaper to get French insurance... is this true? if so, can it be paid monthly and what's the cheapest yet most effective cover?

Thanks in advance x

lyndsey jJul 12, 2010 @ 15:58
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 1416 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Insurance for interns
Post 1

Have you ever considered Gap Year travel insurance? It may be enough as a prove of health insurance coverage.

For example BUPA offers up to 18 months gap year coverage if you are a UK resident. 

https://www.bupatravel.co.uk/getQuotation.do?method=removeSession&param=gogapyear

Have you ever considered Gap Year travel insurance? It may be enough as a prove of health insurance coverage.

For example BUPA offers up to 18 months gap year coverage if you are a UK resident. 

https://www.bupatravel.co.uk/getQuotation.do?method=removeSession&param=gogapyear

Novecento, Jul 12, 2010 @ 19:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

that's awesome, thank you SO much x

that's awesome, thank you SO much x

lyndsey j, Jul 12, 2010 @ 19:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Jul 12, 10 19:02

Lyndsey, you may want to be very sure about that "may be covered"-part, before you sign up. It is cheaper in France. You can also try Allianz regarding a Frontalier (borderworker) health insurance, its about 1000-1300 EUR/year for myself

Cheers

Lyndsey, you may want to be very sure about that "may be covered"-part, before you sign up. It is cheaper in France. You can also try Allianz regarding a Frontalier (borderworker) health insurance, its about 1000-1300 EUR/year for myself

Cheers

FerneyL, Jul 12, 2010 @ 20:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thank you Ferney L... i will look into this too...

Thank you Ferney L... i will look into this too...

lyndsey j, Jul 13, 2010 @ 10:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hey ! 

You must also be careful about another thing. It's what we call "franchise" ... You pay for 12 months a monthly fee of X euros. 

But  be careful as sometimes they do not reimburse the first 1000 euros or CHF. 

Read the smallprint ;-) and ask a French speaking "native" for help. It's no prob ! 

Ioan 

Hey ! 

You must also be careful about another thing. It's what we call "franchise" ... You pay for 12 months a monthly fee of X euros. 

But  be careful as sometimes they do not reimburse the first 1000 euros or CHF. 

Read the smallprint ;-) and ask a French speaking "native" for help. It's no prob ! 

Ioan 

Ioan Caltun, Jul 13, 2010 @ 11:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

ah.. this sounds more complicated than i first thought x

ah.. this sounds more complicated than i first thought x

lyndsey j, Jul 13, 2010 @ 14:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

So far my French health insurance has reimbursed doctor's fee (32 EUR just to show up at the doc) and even the smallest items, if prescribed.

I don't know if you can get a good deal, if you are a student (I'm not), but if you live in France and work in Geneva, you have the choice to either sign up for a Swiss health insurance or for a French "Frontalier" health insurance. I chose the French based on price and expected non-use of it. You cannot change your mind, though, so it has to be right in the first go :) This must be completed rather soon after moving in, otherwise either the Swiss or the French gov will assign you to an insurance of their choice.

When it is set up, you just forward any bills from your doc and pharmacy to the reimbursement office of your provider and they will send a cheque back to you.

Enjoy the paperwork as a Frontalier ;) (but also the lower prices on rent and food).

So far my French health insurance has reimbursed doctor's fee (32 EUR just to show up at the doc) and even the smallest items, if prescribed.

I don't know if you can get a good deal, if you are a student (I'm not), but if you live in France and work in Geneva, you have the choice to either sign up for a Swiss health insurance or for a French "Frontalier" health insurance. I chose the French based on price and expected non-use of it. You cannot change your mind, though, so it has to be right in the first go :) This must be completed rather soon after moving in, otherwise either the Swiss or the French gov will assign you to an insurance of their choice.

When it is set up, you just forward any bills from your doc and pharmacy to the reimbursement office of your provider and they will send a cheque back to you.

Enjoy the paperwork as a Frontalier ;) (but also the lower prices on rent and food).

FerneyL, Jul 13, 2010 @ 14:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

You have this thing for sure: French insurance RARELY has this "franchise". Swiss almost always has it. 

Paperwork is a blast. I would've wanted to be "frontalier" but private banks have severely limited the number of people allowed to do that.

Alliaanz is a very good insurance company. What is your status in France? What is your status in Switzerland? 

You have this thing for sure: French insurance RARELY has this "franchise". Swiss almost always has it. 

Paperwork is a blast. I would've wanted to be "frontalier" but private banks have severely limited the number of people allowed to do that.

Alliaanz is a very good insurance company. What is your status in France? What is your status in Switzerland? 

Ioan Caltun, Jul 13, 2010 @ 15:02
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hey Lyndsey,

I see in your profile that you are from the UK, so you should be able to get an European Health Card (the blue one) through your social security system. Last year I did a paid internship here in GVA for 5 months and all I had to send to the cantonal authorities was a copy of that, explaining that it would cover my health expenses abroad.

If I were you I would first contact the cantonal health authorities, or whoever checks people for health insurances in GVA, regarding this possibility.

Hope this helps you to save some money! 

Hey Lyndsey,

I see in your profile that you are from the UK, so you should be able to get an European Health Card (the blue one) through your social security system. Last year I did a paid internship here in GVA for 5 months and all I had to send to the cantonal authorities was a copy of that, explaining that it would cover my health expenses abroad.

If I were you I would first contact the cantonal health authorities, or whoever checks people for health insurances in GVA, regarding this possibility.

Francisco B, Jul 13, 2010 @ 19:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hey Lyndsey,

Jul 13, 10 19:32

That's a sensible advice. It is the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do for basic emergency services.

if you complement that with a Gap Year travel insurance, you will be sufficiently covered much better than any "frontalier" insurance could offer for less than EUR200 during your internship period.

That's a sensible advice. It is the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do for basic emergency services.

if you complement that with a Gap Year travel insurance, you will be sufficiently covered much better than any "frontalier" insurance could offer for less than EUR200 during your internship period.

Novecento, Jul 13, 2010 @ 19:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Comparis allows you to compare prices and services of different health insurances.  I don't know if this takes into account insurance for frontaliers, though.  You might want to have a look at it.

And by the way, congratulations for your internship Smile

Comparis allows you to compare prices and services of different health insurances.  I don't know if this takes into account insurance for frontaliers, though.  You might want to have a look at it.

And by the way, congratulations for your internship Smile

TheOmegaMan, Jul 13, 2010 @ 20:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Thank you everyone xx

Thank you everyone xx