Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > International driving permit...

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
International driving permit...

Hi,

I'll be embarking on a road trip soon several EU countries. I have a valid U.S licence and I see some countries require an international driving permit. Do you know if it's possible to get one here in Geneva based on US licence? I've also emailed AAA to see if they can send one electronically...

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

I'll be embarking on a road trip soon several EU countries. I have a valid U.S licence and I see some countries require an international driving permit. Do you know if it's possible to get one here in Geneva based on US licence? I've also emailed AAA to see if they can send one electronically...

Asif IJul 15, 2010 @ 18:55
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 2279 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: International driving permit...
Post 1

Hmmm, after consulting the websites of the SAN (Service d'automobiles et de navigation) of the cantons of Geneva and Vaud it seems you can only get an international driving license with a Swiss permit, but this site seems to say that you can get one from the canton where you live.

Usually in EU countries you don't need an international driving licence if yours is written in a roman language. On the TCS travel site you can check for every country you're visiting (only in French/German/Italian).

Hmmm, after consulting the websites of the SAN (Service d'automobiles et de navigation) of the cantons of Geneva and Vaud it seems you can only get an international driving license with a Swiss permit, but this site seems to say that you can get one from the canton where you live.

Usually in EU countries you don't need an international driving licence if yours is written in a roman language. On the TCS travel site you can check for every country you're visiting (only in French/German/Italian).

eva77, Jul 15, 2010 @ 19:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks eva77m, do you know if there's website for driving licence in Switzerland like dmv.gov in US?

Thanks eva77m, do you know if there's website for driving licence in Switzerland like dmv.gov in US?

Asif I, Jul 15, 2010 @ 19:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

not that i know of. every canton has a service d'automobiles, that's where you get your permit, exchange it, change your address etc. for geneva it's http://www.ge.ch/san/

if you google "driving license switzerland" you'll come across a few websites with useful info in english.

not that i know of. every canton has a service d'automobiles, that's where you get your permit, exchange it, change your address etc. for geneva it's http://www.ge.ch/san/

if you google "driving license switzerland" you'll come across a few websites with useful info in english.

eva77, Jul 15, 2010 @ 19:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I checked on that site using google toolbar was able translate. it says:

For an international driving permit, valid for 3 years
should be present:

your license original Geneva
A passport size photograph, full face, bareheaded

Are you certain that they will accept CDL (swiss permit) instead of Swiss licence to issue IDP?

I checked on that site using google toolbar was able translate. it says:

For an international driving permit, valid for 3 years
should be present:

your license original Geneva
A passport size photograph, full face, bareheaded

Are you certain that they will accept CDL (swiss permit) instead of Swiss licence to issue IDP?

Asif I, Jul 15, 2010 @ 20:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 2279 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form