Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Internet infrastructure capacity

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Internet infrastructure capacity

We finally got an apartment (whew), but we're finding that the internet access we were told would be no problem is in fact a huge problem, apparently due to infrastructure. We're in Paquis, and have been told by Swisscom that the connections for our building are at capacity (I may not be using the exact technical language) and that the max speed we could get would be 300 m, well below their lowest package. Apparently we're on a "waiting list" for a Swisscom connection. Has anyone else been on such a thing? Did you eventually get a line?Apparently we're on a "waiting list" for a Swisscom connection. Has anyone else been on such a thing? Did you eventually get a line?

Basic cable tv does come with the apartment, but we just tried getting a cable internet connection and were told by the guy who came to set it up that the whole building would have to be rewired for it to be possible.

The only option seems to be the Swisscom wireless key...the most reasonable package seems to come with a maximum 10 gigas per month, which I can't get my head around. Is that a lot? There are a few tv shows we like to watch online, and I can't tell if we're going to find ourselves suddenly without internet halfway through the month.

If anyone has run into this before, any info would be much appreciated. I'm really surprised by all this...(and so is everyone, including the Swisscom representatives who triple check each time we talk to them).  I've lived the past 10 years in developing countries and have never had this much trouble getting an internet line!!!

The text you are quoting:

We finally got an apartment (whew), but we're finding that the internet access we were told would be no problem is in fact a huge problem, apparently due to infrastructure. We're in Paquis, and have been told by Swisscom that the connections for our building are at capacity (I may not be using the exact technical language) and that the max speed we could get would be 300 m, well below their lowest package. Apparently we're on a "waiting list" for a Swisscom connection. Has anyone else been on such a thing? Did you eventually get a line?Apparently we're on a "waiting list" for a Swisscom connection. Has anyone else been on such a thing? Did you eventually get a line?

Basic cable tv does come with the apartment, but we just tried getting a cable internet connection and were told by the guy who came to set it up that the whole building would have to be rewired for it to be possible.

The only option seems to be the Swisscom wireless key...the most reasonable package seems to come with a maximum 10 gigas per month, which I can't get my head around. Is that a lot? There are a few tv shows we like to watch online, and I can't tell if we're going to find ourselves suddenly without internet halfway through the month.

If anyone has run into this before, any info would be much appreciated. I'm really surprised by all this...(and so is everyone, including the Swisscom representatives who triple check each time we talk to them).  I've lived the past 10 years in developing countries and have never had this much trouble getting an internet line!!!

Suzanna SJun 23, 2010 @ 09:54
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1025 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Internet infrastructure capacity
Post 1

One thing is sure, if you like watching a couple of series in streaming, do Skype, a couple of downloads, etc... your 10Gb will be done pretty fast. On one DVD you can fit 4.7Gb. I'd put around 15 episodes of a classical series (LOST or whatever you guys like) on a DVD.. 

Internet speed (bandwidth) will greatly vary with the signal quality. The less signal you've got (reception) the less traffic will go through... so your streaming experience might be poor as well. 

I wish you the best of luck and don't hesitate to ask any other questions if needed. 

Might you have any WiFi networks near by? Some people agree to share their connection (given that you share the fees as well). 

Ioan 

One thing is sure, if you like watching a couple of series in streaming, do Skype, a couple of downloads, etc... your 10Gb will be done pretty fast. On one DVD you can fit 4.7Gb. I'd put around 15 episodes of a classical series (LOST or whatever you guys like) on a DVD.. 

Internet speed (bandwidth) will greatly vary with the signal quality. The less signal you've got (reception) the less traffic will go through... so your streaming experience might be poor as well. 

I wish you the best of luck and don't hesitate to ask any other questions if needed. 

Might you have any WiFi networks near by? Some people agree to share their connection (given that you share the fees as well). 

Ioan 

Ioan Caltun, Jun 23, 2010 @ 10:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks for the info! There are several password-protected Wifi signals nearby...I guess I could overcome my shyness and knock on some doors! 

Thanks for the info! There are several password-protected Wifi signals nearby...I guess I could overcome my shyness and knock on some doors! 

Suzanna S, Jun 23, 2010 @ 11:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I guess you asked for cable internet through Cablecom. Indeed not all buildings have modernized their TV cabling.

As for Swisscom, I would summon them to do what is necessary to accomodate their customers. Ask them also if changing the technology to VDSL (they offer it) would help. Of course you shouldn't be paying for the higher cost of such a technology if you are only getting normal internet.By the way, currently Swisscom has the most expensive Internet on the Geneva market.

Have you also asked Sunrise?

I guess you asked for cable internet through Cablecom. Indeed not all buildings have modernized their TV cabling.

As for Swisscom, I would summon them to do what is necessary to accomodate their customers. Ask them also if changing the technology to VDSL (they offer it) would help. Of course you shouldn't be paying for the higher cost of such a technology if you are only getting normal internet.By the way, currently Swisscom has the most expensive Internet on the Geneva market.

Have you also asked Sunrise?

Patrick, Jun 23, 2010 @ 11:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

My understanding is that it's a city infrastructure issue, and that any service provider would have the same answer for us. (Of course given my rusty French and lack of tech skills I may have misunderstood). That came from Swisscom, but the rep was helpful and gave me all the info to check into cable options, so I took him at his word. You're absolutely right though, I should confirm it with the other companies...thanks for the Sunrise suggestion!

My understanding is that it's a city infrastructure issue, and that any service provider would have the same answer for us. (Of course given my rusty French and lack of tech skills I may have misunderstood). That came from Swisscom, but the rep was helpful and gave me all the info to check into cable options, so I took him at his word. You're absolutely right though, I should confirm it with the other companies...thanks for the Sunrise suggestion!

Suzanna S, Jun 23, 2010 @ 12:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Isn't Sunrise using the telephone lines (ADSL) as well? In that case they can't offer more than Swisscom. They use the same lines but still controlled by Swisscom.

Internet infrastructure in Geneva is indeed crap. It's the most expensive in Europe and also slowest in Europe.

Isn't Sunrise using the telephone lines (ADSL) as well? In that case they can't offer more than Swisscom. They use the same lines but still controlled by Swisscom.

Internet infrastructure in Geneva is indeed crap. It's the most expensive in Europe and also slowest in Europe.

Arnovd, Jun 25, 2010 @ 01:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1025 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form