Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Is Geneva always this hot?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Is Geneva always this hot?

It's burning hot here... is this normal, does it happen every year? I was expecting summers to be around 20C but I can't even sleep anymore without the AC. Are we having a heatwave or is this normal?

The text you are quoting:

It's burning hot here... is this normal, does it happen every year? I was expecting summers to be around 20C but I can't even sleep anymore without the AC. Are we having a heatwave or is this normal?

Adeer SiddiqiJun 21, 2017 @ 02:22
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 1900 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Is Geneva always this hot?
Post 1

yes, its normal untill end of august

yes, its normal untill end of august

Josef Q, Jun 21, 2017 @ 15:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Jun 21, 17 02:22

you are joking re 20C, are you?

It is continental Europe. It is not Scotland. ;) Summers are supposed to be hot and some parts of continental Europe can reach 40C just as well in a heat wave.

Be happy that we have sun and it is not raining without an end!!

you are joking re 20C, are you?

It is continental Europe. It is not Scotland. ;) Summers are supposed to be hot and some parts of continental Europe can reach 40C just as well in a heat wave.

Be happy that we have sun and it is not raining without an end!!

Reka Y, Jun 22, 2017 @ 02:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I even heard that London has a heat wave this week so this period is quite special.

But coming from the rainy and grey north of Germany I can confirm that Geneva is in general sunny and hot in the Summer. That´s what I like about it. However an ex colleague of mine from the UK always said she is more the "Jumper" person and always suffered here in July and August.

I even heard that London has a heat wave this week so this period is quite special.

But coming from the rainy and grey north of Germany I can confirm that Geneva is in general sunny and hot in the Summer. That´s what I like about it. However an ex colleague of mine from the UK always said she is more the "Jumper" person and always suffered here in July and August.

rena, Jun 22, 2017 @ 13:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

First year is hard to sleep if you come from a max 25 degrees country, then you get used to it. I sleep on a ground during summer as bed is too hot for me! :) And cold shower helps;)

First year is hard to sleep if you come from a max 25 degrees country, then you get used to it. I sleep on a ground during summer as bed is too hot for me! :) And cold shower helps;)

Kris R, Jun 22, 2017 @ 17:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

It's my second summer....and I'm still trying to adapt but it does beat the rain and Geneva is truly beautiful!

It's my second summer....and I'm still trying to adapt but it does beat the rain and Geneva is truly beautiful!

ISABELLE M, Jun 22, 2017 @ 23:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Oh no, this is not t all "normal" and as each year passes it really is getting worse and worse and more and more hot.  The fact is Geneva's weather has changed drastically and has become horribly hot - too hot - more and more insufferable as the years pass - and particularly the last few years.  50 years ago people could skate on parts of the lake in winter; many froze over. Switzerland.

It used to rain every few days in summer and everything would cool off.  I rains far more seldom now. Now we are going through long periods of draught and crazy hurricaine-like wind and hail storms and other extreme or crazy weather with winds which could rip off roofs.  15 years ago people didn't need to use air-cnditioners. It used to snow much more and longer - one could easily ski not far away during the summer.   For me it's all quite distressing and truly things are really going downhill.   GLOBAL WARMING IS A REALITY - It is now going very quickly and Geneva is unfortunately is no exception to this trend.

JAD

Oh no, this is not t all "normal" and as each year passes it really is getting worse and worse and more and more hot.  The fact is Geneva's weather has changed drastically and has become horribly hot - too hot - more and more insufferable as the years pass - and particularly the last few years.  50 years ago people could skate on parts of the lake in winter; many froze over. Switzerland.

It used to rain every few days in summer and everything would cool off.  I rains far more seldom now. Now we are going through long periods of draught and crazy hurricaine-like wind and hail storms and other extreme or crazy weather with winds which could rip off roofs.  15 years ago people didn't need to use air-cnditioners. It used to snow much more and longer - one could easily ski not far away during the summer.   For me it's all quite distressing and truly things are really going downhill.   GLOBAL WARMING IS A REALITY - It is now going very quickly and Geneva is unfortunately is no exception to this trend.

JAD

jadeedler, Jun 23, 2017 @ 02:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

This is absolutely normal for Geneva, although normally it happens in July: a severe heat wave, followed by a sudden drop in temps around August first. Then temperatures climb back up but not as much as previously and we have a nice Indian summer. This year, it just tarted sooner. Weather forecasts are predicting that famous drop for next week (i.e. end of June) making this as being just a month early.

This is absolutely normal for Geneva, although normally it happens in July: a severe heat wave, followed by a sudden drop in temps around August first. Then temperatures climb back up but not as much as previously and we have a nice Indian summer. This year, it just tarted sooner. Weather forecasts are predicting that famous drop for next week (i.e. end of June) making this as being just a month early.

hay_, Jun 24, 2017 @ 04:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hay is right when she says there’s often a drop in temperature around the first of August, which is Switzerland’s National Day.  I remember quite a few occasions when we listened to the speeches in a heavy drizzle and once, in Zurich, in a chilly downpour – which proves that trying to be a good Swiss isn’t always a picnic.

Hay is right when she says there’s often a drop in temperature around the first of August, which is Switzerland’s National Day.  I remember quite a few occasions when we listened to the speeches in a heavy drizzle and once, in Zurich, in a chilly downpour – which proves that trying to be a good Swiss isn’t always a picnic.

Ritchie, Jun 24, 2017 @ 05:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 1900 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form