Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Is it easier to get a spot in a jardin d'enfants than in a crèche?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Is it easier to get a spot in a jardin d'enfants than in a crèche?

We are moving to Geneva in 2 weeks and are hoping to find daycare for our 3-year old (who doesn't speak French) starting in September or whenever the summer break is over. From what I have read on this and other fora, getting a spot in a public creche within less than a year is virtually impossible. Now, I'm wondering:

Is it easier to get a spot in a public jardin d'enfants (i.e. if you only require half-day daycare) than in a public crèche? Or is it the same nightmare? Does it depend on the area you live in, and, if yes, which ones are better?

Grateful for any leads...

The text you are quoting:

We are moving to Geneva in 2 weeks and are hoping to find daycare for our 3-year old (who doesn't speak French) starting in September or whenever the summer break is over. From what I have read on this and other fora, getting a spot in a public creche within less than a year is virtually impossible. Now, I'm wondering:

Is it easier to get a spot in a public jardin d'enfants (i.e. if you only require half-day daycare) than in a public crèche? Or is it the same nightmare? Does it depend on the area you live in, and, if yes, which ones are better?

Grateful for any leads...

Stefan CJun 17, 2016 @ 12:00
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 1679 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Is it easier to get a spot in a jardin d'enfants than in a crèche?
Post 1

I rest to be corrected but the shortage of places in the Crèches is apparantly over. You need to go and register at the Service de la Petite Enfance. People are constantly on the move in this city so places can become free overnight.

Service de la petite enfance.

Avenue Dumas 24, 1206 Genève            

Tél.+41224188100                 Fax+41224188101

If you speak french : http://www.ville-geneve.ch/administration-municipale/departement-cohesion-sociale-solidarite/services-municipaux/service-petite-enfance/item/service/service-petite-enfance/
I don't know if they have an english speaking service, you can but try.

I rest to be corrected but the shortage of places in the Crèches is apparantly over. You need to go and register at the Service de la Petite Enfance. People are constantly on the move in this city so places can become free overnight.

Tél.+41224188100                 Fax+41224188101

If you speak french : http://www.ville-geneve.ch/administration-municipale/departement-cohesion-sociale-solidarite/services-municipaux/service-petite-enfance/item/service/service-petite-enfance/
I don't know if they have an english speaking service, you can but try.
Shirley T, Jun 21, 2016 @ 13:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks Shirley for this helpful and encouraging post. I'll get in touch with the municipality once I'm in Geneva, but meanwhile perhaps

someone has any recent experience in terms of waiting time for a spot in public creches/jardins d'enfants? 

Thanks for any information you can share. 

Thanks Shirley for this helpful and encouraging post. I'll get in touch with the municipality once I'm in Geneva, but meanwhile perhaps

someone has any recent experience in terms of waiting time for a spot in public creches/jardins d'enfants? 

Thanks for any information you can share. 

Stefan C, Jun 21, 2016 @ 13:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

This question on France voisine is related to my original question so I'll just add it to this thread:

I have read on a few websites that in France 3-year olds are (almost) guaranteed a spot in the public ecole maternelle. Is this true? Any experience from the Pays de Gex?

Thanks again for any information you can share.

This question on France voisine is related to my original question so I'll just add it to this thread:

I have read on a few websites that in France 3-year olds are (almost) guaranteed a spot in the public ecole maternelle. Is this true? Any experience from the Pays de Gex?

Thanks again for any information you can share.

Stefan C, Jun 23, 2016 @ 15:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

We registered in January and we got a call in April. Just make sure u register as soon as u arrive here coz u never know.  Good luck

We registered in January and we got a call in April. Just make sure u register as soon as u arrive here coz u never know.  Good luck

Jenny S, Jun 24, 2016 @ 02:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Tél.+41224188100                 Fax+41224188101   If you speak french : http://www.ville-geneve.ch/administration-municipale/departement-cohesion-sociale-solidarite/services-municipaux/service-petite-enfance/item/service/service-petite-enfance/ I don't know if they have an english speaking service, you can but try.
Jun 21, 16 13:38

I was on this waiting list for over 2 years, and finally was granted a place - 3 weeks ago) in a creche which is almost an hour away by bus (I don't drive), and which means alsmot 4 hours travel each day for me to drop off and collect. When I asked if perhaps there was some mistake, since these places assign by the quartier you live in, I was told "be grateful you were given a place, the waiting lists are long, demand is high, and you are welcome to go back on the waiting list (and start from scratch). 

I would love your statement to be true.

I was on this waiting list for over 2 years, and finally was granted a place - 3 weeks ago) in a creche which is almost an hour away by bus (I don't drive), and which means alsmot 4 hours travel each day for me to drop off and collect. When I asked if perhaps there was some mistake, since these places assign by the quartier you live in, I was told "be grateful you were given a place, the waiting lists are long, demand is high, and you are welcome to go back on the waiting list (and start from scratch). 

I would love your statement to be true.

bearded09, Oct 11, 2016 @ 14:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

That is such a bad experience. I have heard from several people that they got within 4 months of registering which made me jealous since when my daughter needed, I registered while 4 months pregnant and finally got a spot when she was 18 months old and only because the children's services intervened. I have really never heard of someone getting that far from where you live. How do they even justify that?

That is such a bad experience. I have heard from several people that they got within 4 months of registering which made me jealous since when my daughter needed, I registered while 4 months pregnant and finally got a spot when she was 18 months old and only because the children's services intervened. I have really never heard of someone getting that far from where you live. How do they even justify that?

Marcy S, Oct 11, 2016 @ 15:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Oct 11, 16 15:24

Thanks. I registered at 4 months of pregnancy two, but babyface is now 2 and 3 months.

They told me - in what were really incredibly rude terms - that you take what you get, and there were no places available for his age nearby, and his dad works "out there". Only thing is that dad travels all the time, and works 12 hour days when not in an airport.

I know it's hearsay, but I met a good handful of people with kids in the same age range, who said that they got in very quickly into the neighbourhood creches. And I was on maternity leave while waiting, so they can't say priority to working people in my case.

Sigh

Thanks. I registered at 4 months of pregnancy two, but babyface is now 2 and 3 months.

They told me - in what were really incredibly rude terms - that you take what you get, and there were no places available for his age nearby, and his dad works "out there". Only thing is that dad travels all the time, and works 12 hour days when not in an airport.

I know it's hearsay, but I met a good handful of people with kids in the same age range, who said that they got in very quickly into the neighbourhood creches. And I was on maternity leave while waiting, so they can't say priority to working people in my case.

Sigh

bearded09, Oct 11, 2016 @ 15:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 1679 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form