Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > LONDON - good area to live - where?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
LONDON - good area to live - where?
Hi all

was just wondering if anybody can suggest a good area to live in London.

Looking for a decent area not too far from the city, where houses don't fall apart, still ok to walk around at a certain time.

I briefly lived in Hammersmith and thought it was allright..not great tho.

Any suggestions? I was told to forget about east London and south London. So only north and west is left.

Thanks in advance!

The text you are quoting:
Hi all

was just wondering if anybody can suggest a good area to live in London.

Looking for a decent area not too far from the city, where houses don't fall apart, still ok to walk around at a certain time.

I briefly lived in Hammersmith and thought it was allright..not great tho.

Any suggestions? I was told to forget about east London and south London. So only north and west is left.

Thanks in advance!
Basel83Jun 25, 2009 @ 18:30

Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

20 Replies | 1181 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: LONDON - good area to live - where?
Post 1
Luton, of course!
Luton, of course!
peaky, Jun 25, 2009 @ 18:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Thanks Peaky...think I'll skip that one...lol
Thanks Peaky...think I'll skip that one...lol
Basel83, Jun 25, 2009 @ 18:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
hmmm... forget about S & E London? why - because of commute or because of someones prejudice? Everyone in London has an opinion about North or South so you should take all with a very heavy dose of salt.... I've lived in a couple of different parts of London and the only one i chose to make my 'home' was in Wimbledon; its leafy, the streets are wider, its perfectly quiet off the main streets at night, isn't bothered with aeroplane noise, theres thousands of bars and restaurants and the transport links are fantastic. Mainline train into central waterloo takes 15 minutes and for the odd days when the trains are broken you have alternatives - district line from same staion (admitedly horribly slow), thameslink train to city, northern line from South Wimbledon. Wimbledon village is fantastic - because of the large parkland nearby (you can walk for 2 hours over parkland to Richmond passing deer and wabbits on the way) it wasnt bombed during the world wars so still has lots of v old character buildings. Plus cos its zone '3' property prices are not extortionate although you might class it as 'twee'. So there's my hearty recommendation - as much greenery as hampstead but half the price. Safety-wise its one of the safest parts of london as far as crime stats go.
hmmm... forget about S & E London? why - because of commute or because of someones prejudice? Everyone in London has an opinion about North or South so you should take all with a very heavy dose of salt.... I've lived in a couple of different parts of London and the only one i chose to make my 'home' was in Wimbledon; its leafy, the streets are wider, its perfectly quiet off the main streets at night, isn't bothered with aeroplane noise, theres thousands of bars and restaurants and the transport links are fantastic. Mainline train into central waterloo takes 15 minutes and for the odd days when the trains are broken you have alternatives - district line from same staion (admitedly horribly slow), thameslink train to city, northern line from South Wimbledon. Wimbledon village is fantastic - because of the large parkland nearby (you can walk for 2 hours over parkland to Richmond passing deer and wabbits on the way) it wasnt bombed during the world wars so still has lots of v old character buildings. Plus cos its zone '3' property prices are not extortionate although you might class it as 'twee'. So there's my hearty recommendation - as much greenery as hampstead but half the price. Safety-wise its one of the safest parts of london as far as crime stats go.
hucklewoo, Jun 26, 2009 @ 17:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Many thanks for the great descprition I will certanly take it into account!!!
Many thanks for the great descprition I will certanly take it into account!!!
Basel83, Jun 26, 2009 @ 18:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Never lived in London myself, but been to stay with my brother in Southwark/Bermondsey a number of times, nice young area, never had a problem even walking from London Bridge Station alone at night.
Never lived in London myself, but been to stay with my brother in Southwark/Bermondsey a number of times, nice young area, never had a problem even walking from London Bridge Station alone at night.
Elke_1982, Jun 26, 2009 @ 18:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
[Chiswick &Grove park W4 is by the river and only 25 mins from waterloo

PS you can also park!!!!

cheers

malcolm

biased cos I own a flat there to rent
[Chiswick &Grove park W4 is by the river and only 25 mins from waterloo

PS you can also park!!!!

cheers

malcolm

biased cos I own a flat there to rent
Malcolm W, Jun 26, 2009 @ 18:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
for what its worth, you can have a look at the crime map by London borough at

http://maps.met.police.uk/

if you double-click on any of the individual boroughs you can then see the actual number of crimes committed each month. They all tend to come out as 'average' but if you dig deeper you will see average is quite a wide band...

lies, damned lies and statistics but i guess it is better than nothing..
for what its worth, you can have a look at the crime map by London borough at

http://maps.met.police.uk/

if you double-click on any of the individual boroughs you can then see the actual number of crimes committed each month. They all tend to come out as 'average' but if you dig deeper you will see average is quite a wide band...

lies, damned lies and statistics but i guess it is better than nothing..
hucklewoo, Jun 26, 2009 @ 18:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
I'd recommend staying on the jubilee line..

West Hampstead is great, although you can bigger flats with huge gardens in willesden Green for about the same price, I'd recommend trying there, still zone 2 and you don't want to go out side of that, forget chiswick and wimbledon

I'd recommend staying on the jubilee line..

West Hampstead is great, although you can bigger flats with huge gardens in willesden Green for about the same price, I'd recommend trying there, still zone 2 and you don't want to go out side of that, forget chiswick and wimbledon
Lawcom, Jul 23, 2009 @ 17:37

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9
Anywhere in or around Clapham park is ok, north or southside.  Nice big park, good shops and cafes, diverse mix of people, Northern line into town.  As for safety, like anywhere in London, or the world for that matter, if you're walking on your own late at night just talk to yourself and shout a word out loud every now and then... people then think you're a bit bonkers so they won't attempt to mug you.  Likewise if you stand still holding a map scratching your chin, don't expect to have your purse in your bag when you start walking again.
Anywhere in or around Clapham park is ok, north or southside.  Nice big park, good shops and cafes, diverse mix of people, Northern line into town.  As for safety, like anywhere in London, or the world for that matter, if you're walking on your own late at night just talk to yourself and shout a word out loud every now and then... people then think you're a bit bonkers so they won't attempt to mug you.  Likewise if you stand still holding a map scratching your chin, don't expect to have your purse in your bag when you start walking again.
Deano1uk, Jul 24, 2009 @ 12:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
We lived in Chelsea ( which is expensive and Finchley Road, less expensive and next to Hamstead). I'd recommend both.
We lived in Chelsea ( which is expensive and Finchley Road, less expensive and next to Hamstead). I'd recommend both.
Marz, Jul 24, 2009 @ 12:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
You could try Crouch Hill/Stroud Green area.

It is between Finsbury Park and Muswell Hill. Basically still in zone 2 with Piccadilly and Victoria lines (and also overland into Moorgate and Kings Cross) connections.

Prices are fairly reasonable, for somewhere so central & connected.

A.

You could try Crouch Hill/Stroud Green area.

It is between Finsbury Park and Muswell Hill. Basically still in zone 2 with Piccadilly and Victoria lines (and also overland into Moorgate and Kings Cross) connections.

Prices are fairly reasonable, for somewhere so central & connected.

A.
FlashG, Jul 24, 2009 @ 12:56

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
  Anywhere in Knightsbridge..........Darling !!!!!!!!!! then you can walk to Harrods for your shopping. Everyone shops at Harrods..Dont they ?
  Anywhere in Knightsbridge..........Darling !!!!!!!!!! then you can walk to Harrods for your shopping. Everyone shops at Harrods..Dont they ?
Richard JB, Jul 24, 2009 @ 15:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
I wouldn't rule out the East End!

from Butlers Wharf east, close to the river (jubilee line, London Br, Bermondsey & Canada Water), you should be able to get a rental, and may be able to write your own ticket of you're flush (have cash). Jub + river taxis also an option.

In London I've lived in St James's, Knightsbridge & Mayfair, sometimes corp flats, as I absolutely needed to be near the park system. when I had to downsize, I went to China Wharf/Mill St (Butlers Wharf).

Are you alone? do you work? where's yr office?

London you're a lady

Laid out before my eyes,

Your heart of gold it pulses

Between your scarred up thighs .................

(Sh MacGowan, when with the Pogues)

Freebooter, country boy who loves London
I wouldn't rule out the East End!

from Butlers Wharf east, close to the river (jubilee line, London Br, Bermondsey & Canada Water), you should be able to get a rental, and may be able to write your own ticket of you're flush (have cash). Jub + river taxis also an option.

In London I've lived in St James's, Knightsbridge & Mayfair, sometimes corp flats, as I absolutely needed to be near the park system. when I had to downsize, I went to China Wharf/Mill St (Butlers Wharf).

Are you alone? do you work? where's yr office?

London you're a lady

Laid out before my eyes,

Your heart of gold it pulses

Between your scarred up thighs .................

(Sh MacGowan, when with the Pogues)

Freebooter, country boy who loves London

Freebooter, Jul 24, 2009 @ 17:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
Many thanks guys for sharing your opinions and views.

More than a super cheap place I would prefer living in a decent area.

East London is out of question as from what I heard from friends its reallly not the best place to be. Gangs and lots of crime...

So better North or West London.

I am looking to be sharing a flat.

Cheers guys!

Many thanks guys for sharing your opinions and views.

More than a super cheap place I would prefer living in a decent area.

East London is out of question as from what I heard from friends its reallly not the best place to be. Gangs and lots of crime...

So better North or West London.

I am looking to be sharing a flat.

Cheers guys!
Basel83, Jul 24, 2009 @ 17:37

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
Hi - its looks like you need practical advice an the only person giving it is Hucklewoo and Wimbledon.  Everything he says is spot on and I'm really quite cross about some of the comments made - some unhelpful, some biased and some totally stupid.

I've lived North, South, West in all areas of London over 30 years - always renting, always sharing - so I know more where you coming from than the "advice" from coroprate renters living in Knightsbridge and Chelsea.  It sounds like your 2 main concerns are a) cost and b) crime/safety.  Cost - forget about the zones - the monthly difference between a travelcard from Putney or Fulham (zone 2) which are both nice-ish areas doesn't outweigh the saving you'll make by living further out - even as far as Zone 6.  And the difference in quality of life is substantial.  People coming to London from abroad (notably Aussies and Kiwis) get obsessed about living in Zone 2.

Then they discover the joys of South West London  and wonder why they put up with so much crap just to save £20 a month on a travelcard! 

North London is fine for "getting away" as it links to major North bound motorways and is good for Eurostar - but did you come to London to go North (why) or use the Eurostar?  North London has no nice/safe parks, less trees, more litter and pollution and no river.  Trendy?  Yes, bits of it, Hampstead, Camden Town but they're overpriced, tiny pockets of areas surrounded by a lot of ghastly areas.  West London has some v. dodgy areas (Greenford) and some nice areas (Ealing, next door to Greenford) but only the expensive parts of West London are close to the river (Chiswick, Grove Park - yes, Hammermsith, but you know yourself its a bit of a dump).

I'm not going to comment on East London as I've only ever been to Hackney, but the fact that all the shop windows have bars on them - when they're open! - and the wheels are missing from every other car, tells you a lot.

South London.  The only place I ever called home.  You have the river weaving in and out of so many areas, the most beautiful park On The Planet in Richmond, the cleanest most environmentally friendly borough (Richmond again), the chicest shops, Richmond and Wimbledon Village, cinemas pubs and clubs on the river (Kingston & Richmond) brilliant sporting events and concerts (Twickenham - without the drag of getting to Wembly or even worse, O2), history at Hampton Court, Bushy Park, Richmond Crown Palace, villages that are still villages in Barnes, Chiswick, Teddington, Petersham, Wimbledon - the list just goes on and on.  Oh, did I mention a safe, regular night buses for when the trains finish.  (Forget what they say about the Jubilee line - it breaks down more than it runs). 

I lived in Teddington (locals endearingly call it "Teddy Town") for five years.  I know (and talk!!) to all my neighbours, I've had people return my lost cat to me, rubbish gets collected regularly and not left on the street, there are no discarded mattresses on the street corners, I hang out my washing and no-one nicks it, there are no plane noises, I have 5 peak hour trains into Waterloo, a 24-hour night bus that drops me at the end of my road, a 24 hour bus service to Heathrow, I can park right outside my door, I can leave my car unlocked with the key's in and a complete stranger takethe keys and left me a note in my car with his phone number, so that I could safely retrieive my keys.  Policemen patrol the streets - on foot -with no more than truncheon for defence, and they're often the same policemen so you can get to know them (trust me, thats a GOOD think!) Oh, did I mention the Tesco at the end of the street open until 10pm every night.

So look at London as a clock, draw a line anywhere between 6 o'clock and 8 o'clock that takes in the river and the parks and settle down happily ever after. Pay more for your travel, less for your rent and have a better quality of life.  Good Luck!!

Hi - its looks like you need practical advice an the only person giving it is Hucklewoo and Wimbledon.  Everything he says is spot on and I'm really quite cross about some of the comments made - some unhelpful, some biased and some totally stupid.

I've lived North, South, West in all areas of London over 30 years - always renting, always sharing - so I know more where you coming from than the "advice" from coroprate renters living in Knightsbridge and Chelsea.  It sounds like your 2 main concerns are a) cost and b) crime/safety.  Cost - forget about the zones - the monthly difference between a travelcard from Putney or Fulham (zone 2) which are both nice-ish areas doesn't outweigh the saving you'll make by living further out - even as far as Zone 6.  And the difference in quality of life is substantial.  People coming to London from abroad (notably Aussies and Kiwis) get obsessed about living in Zone 2.

Then they discover the joys of South West London  and wonder why they put up with so much crap just to save £20 a month on a travelcard! 

North London is fine for "getting away" as it links to major North bound motorways and is good for Eurostar - but did you come to London to go North (why) or use the Eurostar?  North London has no nice/safe parks, less trees, more litter and pollution and no river.  Trendy?  Yes, bits of it, Hampstead, Camden Town but they're overpriced, tiny pockets of areas surrounded by a lot of ghastly areas.  West London has some v. dodgy areas (Greenford) and some nice areas (Ealing, next door to Greenford) but only the expensive parts of West London are close to the river (Chiswick, Grove Park - yes, Hammermsith, but you know yourself its a bit of a dump).

I'm not going to comment on East London as I've only ever been to Hackney, but the fact that all the shop windows have bars on them - when they're open! - and the wheels are missing from every other car, tells you a lot.

South London.  The only place I ever called home.  You have the river weaving in and out of so many areas, the most beautiful park On The Planet in Richmond, the cleanest most environmentally friendly borough (Richmond again), the chicest shops, Richmond and Wimbledon Village, cinemas pubs and clubs on the river (Kingston & Richmond) brilliant sporting events and concerts (Twickenham - without the drag of getting to Wembly or even worse, O2), history at Hampton Court, Bushy Park, Richmond Crown Palace, villages that are still villages in Barnes, Chiswick, Teddington, Petersham, Wimbledon - the list just goes on and on.  Oh, did I mention a safe, regular night buses for when the trains finish.  (Forget what they say about the Jubilee line - it breaks down more than it runs). 

I lived in Teddington (locals endearingly call it "Teddy Town") for five years.  I know (and talk!!) to all my neighbours, I've had people return my lost cat to me, rubbish gets collected regularly and not left on the street, there are no discarded mattresses on the street corners, I hang out my washing and no-one nicks it, there are no plane noises, I have 5 peak hour trains into Waterloo, a 24-hour night bus that drops me at the end of my road, a 24 hour bus service to Heathrow, I can park right outside my door, I can leave my car unlocked with the key's in and a complete stranger takethe keys and left me a note in my car with his phone number, so that I could safely retrieive my keys.  Policemen patrol the streets - on foot -with no more than truncheon for defence, and they're often the same policemen so you can get to know them (trust me, thats a GOOD think!) Oh, did I mention the Tesco at the end of the street open until 10pm every night.

So look at London as a clock, draw a line anywhere between 6 o'clock and 8 o'clock that takes in the river and the parks and settle down happily ever after. Pay more for your travel, less for your rent and have a better quality of life.  Good Luck!!

Carolyn C, Jul 24, 2009 @ 18:54

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16
all the feeds talk about just about everywhere in london.  which says one thing, your probably be ok where ever you go, so choose based on convienance and cost.

as for east london, the describtion is a bit off! its the same as gros basel and klien basel, it has a reputaton but lets be honest there is nothing wrong with living in klien basel, i think you would find east london the same.

all the feeds talk about just about everywhere in london.  which says one thing, your probably be ok where ever you go, so choose based on convienance and cost.

as for east london, the describtion is a bit off! its the same as gros basel and klien basel, it has a reputaton but lets be honest there is nothing wrong with living in klien basel, i think you would find east london the same.
peaky, Jul 24, 2009 @ 19:15

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17
wow Caroline, what a tour de force!

as someone said above, everyone has an opinion on London neighbourhoods.

I just wish to point out that SE1 & SE16 are not Hackney or Hoxton! (used to

go to a great venue in Hackney called Ocean; never had a problem, but I wouldn't want

to live there)

Close to the river from Tower Bridge to Canada Water is a top place to live.

you can now get from Green Park to City AP in about half an hour.

don't get me wrong, I agree Richmond is lovely, the park, & the golf course are brilliant.

There's also Stanmore & Bushy, twee village living on the tube and without a Hampstead price tag.

In fact London's great charm is it's vast collection of neighbourhoods (that have survived Livingston, and much more!) on a human scale - very few high rises outside the City & Canary Wharf.

anyway I'm such a country lad that the family home was in deep Sussex, which meant doing battle with the Blackwall tunnel & the Hastings line, until I bit the bullet and went for the corporate flats.

St John's Wood might also suit Ms Basel.........

Have fun on your reconnaissance, & your move!

FB

wow Caroline, what a tour de force!

as someone said above, everyone has an opinion on London neighbourhoods.

I just wish to point out that SE1 & SE16 are not Hackney or Hoxton! (used to

go to a great venue in Hackney called Ocean; never had a problem, but I wouldn't want

to live there)

Close to the river from Tower Bridge to Canada Water is a top place to live.

you can now get from Green Park to City AP in about half an hour.

don't get me wrong, I agree Richmond is lovely, the park, & the golf course are brilliant.

There's also Stanmore & Bushy, twee village living on the tube and without a Hampstead price tag.

In fact London's great charm is it's vast collection of neighbourhoods (that have survived Livingston, and much more!) on a human scale - very few high rises outside the City & Canary Wharf.

anyway I'm such a country lad that the family home was in deep Sussex, which meant doing battle with the Blackwall tunnel & the Hastings line, until I bit the bullet and went for the corporate flats.

St John's Wood might also suit Ms Basel.........

Have fun on your reconnaissance, & your move!

FB

Freebooter, Jul 24, 2009 @ 19:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

For those who can afford it, I would recommend Hampstead and Belsize park areas. Having said that, it depends on what is your purpose of settling in London and if you are going to work in the City, for example, same part of the East, like Hoxton and Shoreditch allow you to work to the office and have a good night scene and plenty of eateries.

I think Chelsea os ridicously overpriced and overhyped.

For those who can afford it, I would recommend Hampstead and Belsize park areas. Having said that, it depends on what is your purpose of settling in London and if you are going to work in the City, for example, same part of the East, like Hoxton and Shoreditch allow you to work to the office and have a good night scene and plenty of eateries.

I think Chelsea os ridicously overpriced and overhyped.
DUCCIO, Jul 24, 2009 @ 20:15

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19
Carolyn - you can't just waltz onto this forum and brand everyone stupid! The question asked for opinions not what you thought about everyone else. You seemed to have a lot to say, I didn't read it but I'm sure the lady asking will take from it what she needs... along with every other post. Have a nice weekend.
Carolyn - you can't just waltz onto this forum and brand everyone stupid! The question asked for opinions not what you thought about everyone else. You seemed to have a lot to say, I didn't read it but I'm sure the lady asking will take from it what she needs... along with every other post. Have a nice weekend.
Deano1uk, Jul 24, 2009 @ 21:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20
It does sound like West Hampstead or Willesden Green are for you .. Primrose Hill is a nice park to visit, great view of London and of course you are close to Hampstead Heath, the best park in London IMO ...

Certainly wouldn't recommend Richmond ?? or Twickenham ??? they are miles away and boring, ok if you are an older woman and given up on life ,-)

It is important that you pick an area a focus on it, you will end up running all over London for nothing, if you don't and finding a flat there is exhusting ..

NW6 NW2 NW3 should suit you ..

Good luck

It does sound like West Hampstead or Willesden Green are for you .. Primrose Hill is a nice park to visit, great view of London and of course you are close to Hampstead Heath, the best park in London IMO ...

Certainly wouldn't recommend Richmond ?? or Twickenham ??? they are miles away and boring, ok if you are an older woman and given up on life ,-)

It is important that you pick an area a focus on it, you will end up running all over London for nothing, if you don't and finding a flat there is exhusting ..

NW6 NW2 NW3 should suit you ..

Good luck
Lawcom, Jul 26, 2009 @ 18:37

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
20 Replies | 1181 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form