Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Leaving an apartment - regie asks for rent until the end of the contract

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Leaving an apartment - regie asks for rent until the end of the contract

Dear all,

Another regie trouble :D

I am leaving my apartment with more than one month notice and after 6 years from the start of my contract. I called to let them know and they said that since my contract was 5 years + 5, if I don't find anyone available to rent the apartment at the same conditions, I am responsible to pay the rent until the end of the contract, so until 2023! Have you ever heard of such a thing? 

Thank you for sharing your opinions and suggestions. 

Roberta

The text you are quoting:

Dear all,

I am leaving my apartment with more than one month notice and after 6 years from the start of my contract. I called to let them know and they said that since my contract was 5 years + 5, if I don't find anyone available to rent the apartment at the same conditions, I am responsible to pay the rent until the end of the contract, so until 2023! Have you ever heard of such a thing? 

Roberta

roberta mJul 4, 2018 @ 10:28
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 1247 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Leaving an apartment - regie asks for rent until the end of the contract
Post 1

The Best is you ask ASLOCA..

Anyway you find easily someone in worste case....

Good luck

The Best is you ask ASLOCA..

Anyway you find easily someone in worste case....

Good luck

Sari W, Jul 4, 2018 @ 10:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Roberta, yes, that's the normal procedure, it should be written in your contract. You need to find someone to takeover your bail with the same conditions. Good luck!

Hi Roberta, yes, that's the normal procedure, it should be written in your contract. You need to find someone to takeover your bail with the same conditions. Good luck!

Olivier H, Jul 4, 2018 @ 11:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

The regie is correct. You have to find a suitable substitute tenant asap and ask if the regie can help you by publishing an offer online.

The regie is correct. You have to find a suitable substitute tenant asap and ask if the regie can help you by publishing an offer online.

Alexandre P, Jul 4, 2018 @ 15:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Roberta: what you described is not un-common. But I'm with Sari: go see Asloca and ask them to look at your contract. They might be able to find some loop hole. 

Roberta: what you described is not un-common. But I'm with Sari: go see Asloca and ask them to look at your contract. They might be able to find some loop hole. 

Nir Ofek, Jul 4, 2018 @ 16:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Dear all,

Roberta

Jul 4, 18 10:28

With the acute shortage of housing of any description in the greater Geneva area, you should not have much difficulty in finding a replacement tenant for your apartment. Advertise everywhere you think you might find someone [including on the Glocals classifieds section]. Seems to us that there are more people looking than moving out.

With the acute shortage of housing of any description in the greater Geneva area, you should not have much difficulty in finding a replacement tenant for your apartment. Advertise everywhere you think you might find someone [including on the Glocals classifieds section]. Seems to us that there are more people looking than moving out.

sheila c, Jul 4, 2018 @ 17:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi Roberta,

Yes it's perfectly normal.  Agree with every suggestion above, you'll have no issue finding a tenant to take over your lease seeing the shortage of appartments. Your best bet would be:

1. Advertise in your building-put a notice in your elevator, there may be other tenants in your building that will want to upgrade or downgrade.

2. Place ads at Work/gym/GHI/GLOCALS/ and other Geneva Expat sites such as those found on Facebook, Internations, WRS etc. 

3. ASLOCA is well worth it, but not sure it will find your future tenant nor dossier :-)

The important thing is that you suggest and put forward at least 1 tenant dossier for them to review (It might also be 3 dossiers depending on the Regie). I believe that the Regie will give priority to a tenant that is already in the building.

Good luck

diva

Hi Roberta,

Yes it's perfectly normal.  Agree with every suggestion above, you'll have no issue finding a tenant to take over your lease seeing the shortage of appartments. Your best bet would be:

1. Advertise in your building-put a notice in your elevator, there may be other tenants in your building that will want to upgrade or downgrade.

2. Place ads at Work/gym/GHI/GLOCALS/ and other Geneva Expat sites such as those found on Facebook, Internations, WRS etc. 

3. ASLOCA is well worth it, but not sure it will find your future tenant nor dossier :-)

The important thing is that you suggest and put forward at least 1 tenant dossier for them to review (It might also be 3 dossiers depending on the Regie). I believe that the Regie will give priority to a tenant that is already in the building.

Good luck

diva

divagirl, Jul 4, 2018 @ 17:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Am going through the same - the régie will do everything to not help you find a tenant so you really have to take matters into your own hands to find The suitable candidate. It’s a bit bizzare that they would want to make you pay rent for the rest of eternity it seems, but hey, that way they don’t have to do any work. (Sorry, am angry with my régie obviously)

I made it a point to literally take all applicants by hand and go to the régie together and advocate for them, so far they didn‘t want to approve anyone even though all applicants seemed to have a strong dossier! But whatever you do, do not let the applicant apply alone! hahah .. this way, the régie has to at least acknowledge the receipt of application and respond within 15-20 days as ASLOCA advised me. 

I think the turnover of apartments in Geneva during summer is high, but until September, I think more people are leaving than coming - so hopefully you, and I both, will find someone until then!

good luck!  

Am going through the same - the régie will do everything to not help you find a tenant so you really have to take matters into your own hands to find The suitable candidate. It’s a bit bizzare that they would want to make you pay rent for the rest of eternity it seems, but hey, that way they don’t have to do any work. (Sorry, am angry with my régie obviously)

I made it a point to literally take all applicants by hand and go to the régie together and advocate for them, so far they didn‘t want to approve anyone even though all applicants seemed to have a strong dossier! But whatever you do, do not let the applicant apply alone! hahah .. this way, the régie has to at least acknowledge the receipt of application and respond within 15-20 days as ASLOCA advised me. 

I think the turnover of apartments in Geneva during summer is high, but until September, I think more people are leaving than coming - so hopefully you, and I both, will find someone until then!

good luck!  

Tina G, Jul 4, 2018 @ 20:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

What if you give the regie three candidates and they don't accept any of them? Do you still have to find more?! I heard that is not the case, but what did ASLOCA tell you? Thanks.

What if you give the regie three candidates and they don't accept any of them? Do you still have to find more?! I heard that is not the case, but what did ASLOCA tell you? Thanks.

Hussein A, Jul 5, 2018 @ 01:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

What I understand is that once you provide them 3 eligible candidates, you are off the hook, unless they can provide a valid reason for not accepting any of them.

What I understand is that once you provide them 3 eligible candidates, you are off the hook, unless they can provide a valid reason for not accepting any of them.

Ali Baba, Jul 5, 2018 @ 09:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Jul 5, 18 09:28

I heard that's a myth, but I guess it all depends on what's written in the contract. 

I heard that's a myth, but I guess it all depends on what's written in the contract. 

Nir Ofek, Jul 5, 2018 @ 09:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

According to the following, it's enough with one eligible candidate:

https://www.cagi.ch/fr/logement/questions-frequentes-logement/resiliation-anticipee-du-bail-a-loyer.php

Aslo according to asloca:

La loi exige bien du locataire qu’il présente un seul candidat qui remplisse les conditions. Vous n’avez aucune obligation d’en présenter plusieurs. Si le bailleur refuse le candidat proposé pour des raisons de convenance personnelle, il doit vous libérer de toute obligation pour la date de relocation proposée.

Mais attention: vous n’êtes ni à l’abri des candidats qui se désistent sans crier gare (et parfois même si le contrat est établi mais non signé…) ni à l’abri de ceux qui se déclarent solvables et qui ne le sont pas (en tant que locataire, l’office des poursuites ne vous renseignera pas). Toutefois, vous êtes libéré du paiement du loyer si le candidat se désiste parce que le bailleur a décidé d’augmenter le loyer ou de changer les conditions du bail (délai de résiliation, montant de la garantie loyer, etc.).

According to the following, it's enough with one eligible candidate:

https://www.cagi.ch/fr/logement/questions-frequentes-logement/resiliation-anticipee-du-bail-a-loyer.php

Aslo according to asloca:

La loi exige bien du locataire qu’il présente un seul candidat qui remplisse les conditions. Vous n’avez aucune obligation d’en présenter plusieurs. Si le bailleur refuse le candidat proposé pour des raisons de convenance personnelle, il doit vous libérer de toute obligation pour la date de relocation proposée.

Mais attention: vous n’êtes ni à l’abri des candidats qui se désistent sans crier gare (et parfois même si le contrat est établi mais non signé…) ni à l’abri de ceux qui se déclarent solvables et qui ne le sont pas (en tant que locataire, l’office des poursuites ne vous renseignera pas). Toutefois, vous êtes libéré du paiement du loyer si le candidat se désiste parce que le bailleur a décidé d’augmenter le loyer ou de changer les conditions du bail (délai de résiliation, montant de la garantie loyer, etc.).

tawb, Jul 5, 2018 @ 13:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
11 Replies | 1247 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form