Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Leaving rented apartment

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Leaving rented apartment

Dear Glocals,

I leave rented apartment after almost 7 yeras. I informed regie in advance about it.

Their representative visisted my apartment and today I received an official letter informing me that they wnat me to pay all renovation they find necessary (and they find it necessary to renovate all apartment including changing a carpet to a parquet), they want me to be responsible for all renovation works that means I need to hire painters, parquet makers etc etc etc and they want me keep paying rent until renovation works are implemented.

I find it pretty wierd..is

if it a usual practice to withdraw as much money as they can....

I appreciate all advice anyone can give me how to minimize expences :)

The text you are quoting:

Dear Glocals,

I leave rented apartment after almost 7 yeras. I informed regie in advance about it.

Their representative visisted my apartment and today I received an official letter informing me that they wnat me to pay all renovation they find necessary (and they find it necessary to renovate all apartment including changing a carpet to a parquet), they want me to be responsible for all renovation works that means I need to hire painters, parquet makers etc etc etc and they want me keep paying rent until renovation works are implemented.

I find it pretty wierd..is

if it a usual practice to withdraw as much money as they can....

I appreciate all advice anyone can give me how to minimize expences :)

Irina MJul 25, 2014 @ 19:34
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

14 Replies | 2081 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Leaving rented apartment
Post 1

Dear Irina,

Virtuallay TONS of threads already exist on the subject (as this type situation is more or less a never-ending story here, sadly....) Use the search function up top and see for yourself. Good luck! Best - Eva 

Dear Irina,

Virtuallay TONS of threads already exist on the subject (as this type situation is more or less a never-ending story here, sadly....) Use the search function up top and see for yourself. Good luck! Best - Eva 

Eva D, Jul 25, 2014 @ 19:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thank you Eva :). I thought I was the fist unlucky foreigner facing this kind of prob:)). I will search for info here.

Thank you Eva :). I thought I was the fist unlucky foreigner facing this kind of prob:)). I will search for info here.

Irina M, Jul 25, 2014 @ 20:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

did you find someone to take the lease back ?

did you find someone to take the lease back ?

K-rimo, Jul 25, 2014 @ 20:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

no 

I informed they in advance and they told me that they would put my apartment on the website to rent..I didn't expect this situation.

I am to pay rent

I am to pay renovation

I am responsible for renovation

do you think it makes sense to find an attorney to help me?

no 

I informed they in advance and they told me that they would put my apartment on the website to rent..I didn't expect this situation.

I am to pay rent

I am to pay renovation

I am responsible for renovation

do you think it makes sense to find an attorney to help me?

Irina M, Jul 25, 2014 @ 20:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

2 questions :

1- are you leaving the appartment before the term , if yes you are responsible for the rent and you have to find the next person who will take the lease.

2 - you have to leave the appartment in the same standing that you found it when you entered , if they find any change or damage you are responsible.

regards.

2 questions :

1- are you leaving the appartment before the term , if yes you are responsible for the rent and you have to find the next person who will take the lease.

2 - you have to leave the appartment in the same standing that you found it when you entered , if they find any change or damage you are responsible.

regards.

K-rimo, Jul 25, 2014 @ 20:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Yes. I would like to leave apartment before the term and that's why I sent them a letter trying to find better solution for all. It's a very good cartier and apartment here are always in demand

I didn't make any damage but when i move in it...the carpet was old, apartment itself was old and it wasn't renovated since the house was buit during 30 years

I had a feeling that they would definitely want to make renovation when I leave and make me pay for it..I have an amount blocked on my bank account for it...but they want all in one...

I am renovating my new apartment and it's not a fun :)..now i must to renovate the old one

I am lost...

Yes. I would like to leave apartment before the term and that's why I sent them a letter trying to find better solution for all. It's a very good cartier and apartment here are always in demand

I didn't make any damage but when i move in it...the carpet was old, apartment itself was old and it wasn't renovated since the house was buit during 30 years

I had a feeling that they would definitely want to make renovation when I leave and make me pay for it..I have an amount blocked on my bank account for it...but they want all in one...

I am renovating my new apartment and it's not a fun :)..now i must to renovate the old one

I am lost...

Irina M, Jul 25, 2014 @ 20:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

I would suggest that you contact the Geneva section of  ASLOCA (Association suisse des locataires).

Go to their website where you will find their address (it’s in the Eaux-Vives district) and telephone number.

You will have to pay a “membership fee” for a consultation but it will be well worth it.  Most of their lawyers speak English, if that’s what you prefer.

In a situation like yours, you need to enlist help as fast as you can, so don’t hesitate, especially as this is the holiday season and some of their staff may be  away in July and/or August.

All the very best, R.

I would suggest that you contact the Geneva section of  ASLOCA (Association suisse des locataires).

Go to their website where you will find their address (it’s in the Eaux-Vives district) and telephone number.

You will have to pay a “membership fee” for a consultation but it will be well worth it.  Most of their lawyers speak English, if that’s what you prefer.

In a situation like yours, you need to enlist help as fast as you can, so don’t hesitate, especially as this is the holiday season and some of their staff may be  away in July and/or August.

All the very best, R.

Ritchie, Jul 25, 2014 @ 22:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Thank you very much Ritchie.

That's what I did. Following Eva's advice I used key word search and found out "tons of threads on this subject".

ASLOCA was in the first thread I chose to look through :).

I 've just sent them reuqest by mail. I do hope to get their professional help.

Anyway I have time. I am going to move end Sept but my rent contract unfortunately or fortunately :) valid till end of next January.

Thanks to all of you.

Thank you very much Ritchie.

That's what I did. Following Eva's advice I used key word search and found out "tons of threads on this subject".

ASLOCA was in the first thread I chose to look through :).

I 've just sent them reuqest by mail. I do hope to get their professional help.

Anyway I have time. I am going to move end Sept but my rent contract unfortunately or fortunately :) valid till end of next January.

Thanks to all of you.

Irina M, Jul 25, 2014 @ 22:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I was in a similar situation but in a different city. The difference was that I had stayed in the apartment for a year and the damages/renoations needed the landlord was claiming were totally outlandish. We took him to housing court and won. It was such a headache over the course of several months. Fight til the end!

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I was in a similar situation but in a different city. The difference was that I had stayed in the apartment for a year and the damages/renoations needed the landlord was claiming were totally outlandish. We took him to housing court and won. It was such a headache over the course of several months. Fight til the end!

Andrea K, Jul 26, 2014 @ 14:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Irina

Do not send Asloca emails. You need to sort this out urgently. Go there join and have your first meeting.  Join whatever the outcome (less than 100 francs). If you go on their website you will see they have certain hours you can go without appointment.  If your work causes problems tell them you are ill (stress related due to régie). 

When you moved in you should have received a statement of the contents of the appartment and the state it was in.  You are (ASLOCA will correct me if I am wrong) not responsible for general wear and tear.  If your regie has a name beginning with Z. he will try anything to get money but is also afraid of ASLOCA as he always loses. 

You will also find on the ASLOCA website a table of how often a flat should be repainted by the owners.  I also think your liability is capped at three months rent but that does not mean you should agree to this.

If area is popular and if you think the regie want to redecorate and charge a higher rent, offer your flat on glocals and present the regie with a replacement tenant.  They will either accept him or decide to refuse him and then it is up to them to find someone

But discuss this with ASLOCA also

Irina

Do not send Asloca emails. You need to sort this out urgently. Go there join and have your first meeting.  Join whatever the outcome (less than 100 francs). If you go on their website you will see they have certain hours you can go without appointment.  If your work causes problems tell them you are ill (stress related due to régie). 

When you moved in you should have received a statement of the contents of the appartment and the state it was in.  You are (ASLOCA will correct me if I am wrong) not responsible for general wear and tear.  If your regie has a name beginning with Z. he will try anything to get money but is also afraid of ASLOCA as he always loses. 

You will also find on the ASLOCA website a table of how often a flat should be repainted by the owners.  I also think your liability is capped at three months rent but that does not mean you should agree to this.

If area is popular and if you think the regie want to redecorate and charge a higher rent, offer your flat on glocals and present the regie with a replacement tenant.  They will either accept him or decide to refuse him and then it is up to them to find someone

Paul E, Jul 26, 2014 @ 20:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Paul,

Thank you very much. It's important to me to know now as much as possible and to collect all possible experience.

I thought that I need to send them a mail before they give me appointment. I just want to be sure they have a time slot for me.

I found out horaries sans rendez-vous. Going there asap. I just can't understand when to pay a fee. Online or after visit?

Thanks a lot again Paul.

Paul,

Thank you very much. It's important to me to know now as much as possible and to collect all possible experience.

I thought that I need to send them a mail before they give me appointment. I just want to be sure they have a time slot for me.

I found out horaries sans rendez-vous. Going there asap. I just can't understand when to pay a fee. Online or after visit?

Thanks a lot again Paul.

Irina M, Jul 26, 2014 @ 21:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Forgot to add.  Although most contracts are standard take a copy with you and a copy of the lists of contents/state of flat when you moved in.  And of course current correspondence.  You have to clean the flat when you move out (or pay cleaners to do this).  This is no problem but redecorating, replacing an old carpet even with another old carpet is out of the question.  Any other questions feel free to contact me on [email protected].  or continue on this thread but if you want to compare names of regies I would prefer to do this on private email.  My problem was different in that I was given notice to quit when I asked for a wall to be replastered and a cupboard replaced. The result was a completely renovated flat including new kitchen and bathrooms and a reduction in the rent.  Have not used ASLOCA since but have stayed a member.  And the owners kicked the regie out and took a much more professional one.  For me ASLOCA are great but they can only operate according to the law which fortunately is in favour of user the tenants.

You can reply in Russian if it is easier but my reply will come in English

с успехом!

Forgot to add.  Although most contracts are standard take a copy with you and a copy of the lists of contents/state of flat when you moved in.  And of course current correspondence.  You have to clean the flat when you move out (or pay cleaners to do this).  This is no problem but redecorating, replacing an old carpet even with another old carpet is out of the question.  Any other questions feel free to contact me on [email protected].  or continue on this thread but if you want to compare names of regies I would prefer to do this on private email.  My problem was different in that I was given notice to quit when I asked for a wall to be replastered and a cupboard replaced. The result was a completely renovated flat including new kitchen and bathrooms and a reduction in the rent.  Have not used ASLOCA since but have stayed a member.  And the owners kicked the regie out and took a much more professional one.  For me ASLOCA are great but they can only operate according to the law which fortunately is in favour of user the tenants.

You can reply in Russian if it is easier but my reply will come in English

с успехом!

Paul E, Jul 27, 2014 @ 07:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Irina

Jul 26, 14 20:22

Thanks for the heads up about Regie beginning with the letter Z

fore-warned is fore-armed

Thanks for the heads up about Regie beginning with the letter Z

fore-warned is fore-armed

bearded09, Jul 29, 2014 @ 15:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Yet another Regie who thinks they can have an easy life praying on expats.. as previously mentioned by people above, ASLOCA are great - go immediately. I hope you also have protection juridique as ASLOCA can only represent you in court at the first level - if anything carries on, your insurance would cover your lawyers fees.. 

Yet another Regie who thinks they can have an easy life praying on expats.. as previously mentioned by people above, ASLOCA are great - go immediately. I hope you also have protection juridique as ASLOCA can only represent you in court at the first level - if anything carries on, your insurance would cover your lawyers fees.. 

Chris T, Aug 1, 2014 @ 13:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
14 Replies | 2081 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form