Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Legalities for foreign students living in France?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Legalities for foreign students living in France?

Hi all,

I recently moved back to Geneva for my studies, and thought I'd look for housing in France this time around (seeing as there isn't any in Geneva itself).  I understand this is very common, but I'm having a bit of difficulty figuring out exactly what I'm supposed to do, legally speaking.  After all, my visa is for Switzerland, not France.  So what would living in France mean for my residence permit?  And for health and other insurance?  When I asked the various groups offering student health insurance, they didn't seem willing to insure someone in France.

So, this is a call on collective wisdom.  Those of you who've done the "transfrontalier" thing, can you advise me on how it's done??

Thanks,

Kristen

The text you are quoting:

Hi all,

I recently moved back to Geneva for my studies, and thought I'd look for housing in France this time around (seeing as there isn't any in Geneva itself).  I understand this is very common, but I'm having a bit of difficulty figuring out exactly what I'm supposed to do, legally speaking.  After all, my visa is for Switzerland, not France.  So what would living in France mean for my residence permit?  And for health and other insurance?  When I asked the various groups offering student health insurance, they didn't seem willing to insure someone in France.

So, this is a call on collective wisdom.  Those of you who've done the "transfrontalier" thing, can you advise me on how it's done??

Thanks,

Kristen

kgrayJun 8, 2010 @ 13:05
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 2135 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Legalities for foreign students living in France?
Post 1

hi kristen,

as USA citizens we are not allowed to reside in france if we have a residence permit for switzerland. ( only EU citizens have this choice) so, i guess you are stuck and will have to look outside of geneva, for example, between rolle and versoix.

hope this is helpful and you haven't as yet signed a lease in france!!!

cheers,

roger

hi kristen,

as USA citizens we are not allowed to reside in france if we have a residence permit for switzerland. ( only EU citizens have this choice) so, i guess you are stuck and will have to look outside of geneva, for example, between rolle and versoix.

hope this is helpful and you haven't as yet signed a lease in france!!!

cheers,

roger

epicure, Jun 8, 2010 @ 13:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Kristen,

It is true that if you are american or Candian you do not have the "legal" option to live in France if you have a swiss residence permit. I   am American and live in France but my wife is European and this qualified me for a G Permit as a frontelier.

Good luck

David

Kristen,

It is true that if you are american or Candian you do not have the "legal" option to live in France if you have a swiss residence permit. I   am American and live in France but my wife is European and this qualified me for a G Permit as a frontelier.

Good luck

David

DABoyer, Jun 8, 2010 @ 16:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Kristen,Me Again on American living in France-there is a BUT, I have had two sets of US students one from Duke program now, another from U of Michigan. They were here for short term 3 month study/internship and thier programs had some agreement with Swiss to allow living in france since i had them get this in writing before renting to them.

Cheers

Kristen,Me Again on American living in France-there is a BUT, I have had two sets of US students one from Duke program now, another from U of Michigan. They were here for short term 3 month study/internship and thier programs had some agreement with Swiss to allow living in france since i had them get this in writing before renting to them.

Cheers

DABoyer, Jun 8, 2010 @ 16:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

If you're keeping an open mind about living arrangements, you might want to think about getting a place to live outside of Geneva, but still in Switzerland. I myself go to the University of Geneva and commute daily from Lausanne. It really isn't much worse than commuting from France, since as far as I can tell it takes about the same time (my colleagues take about the same time getting to school from France as I do from Lausanne - it is a 35-45 min train ride, with about 3 fast trains going toward Geneva every hour). You can also look into Nyon, Rolle, Gland, etc. since those are all closer to Geneva than Lausanne, despite being considerably smaller and thus restricting a bit your options for leisure activities.

I'm not an expert, but I don't see how you could live in France without actually getting a permit from the french authorities, which might prove tricky seeing as how you'll be studying in Geneva.

I am assuming you'll be going to the University of Geneva, in which case you might also check with them and see about student lodging, even though from what I can tell they don't seem to have an excess of apartments either.

If you're keeping an open mind about living arrangements, you might want to think about getting a place to live outside of Geneva, but still in Switzerland. I myself go to the University of Geneva and commute daily from Lausanne. It really isn't much worse than commuting from France, since as far as I can tell it takes about the same time (my colleagues take about the same time getting to school from France as I do from Lausanne - it is a 35-45 min train ride, with about 3 fast trains going toward Geneva every hour). You can also look into Nyon, Rolle, Gland, etc. since those are all closer to Geneva than Lausanne, despite being considerably smaller and thus restricting a bit your options for leisure activities.

I'm not an expert, but I don't see how you could live in France without actually getting a permit from the french authorities, which might prove tricky seeing as how you'll be studying in Geneva.

I am assuming you'll be going to the University of Geneva, in which case you might also check with them and see about student lodging, even though from what I can tell they don't seem to have an excess of apartments either.

Alex M, Jun 9, 2010 @ 18:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 2135 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form