Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Live in Geneva, Work in Lausanne

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Live in Geneva, Work in Lausanne

I currently live in Geneva, and may have an offer to work in Lausanne.

I'm an EU (UK) citizen, and at present I'm on a B resident permit in Geneva. Does anyone know which paperwork needs to be completed for a work permit in this kind of scenario, what with Lausanne being a different canton?

Thanks in advance.

The text you are quoting:

I currently live in Geneva, and may have an offer to work in Lausanne.

I'm an EU (UK) citizen, and at present I'm on a B resident permit in Geneva. Does anyone know which paperwork needs to be completed for a work permit in this kind of scenario, what with Lausanne being a different canton?

Thanks in advance.

Michael SFeb 9, 12 07:36
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

16 Replies | 1136 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Live in Geneva, Work in Lausanne
Post 1

I did the same move a couple of years ago.

Given that your residence will not change, you do not need to update your B permit. Also, you pay taxes in the place where you live, therefore also to this extent nothing will change. Your employer will know your address and you will be taxed at source accordingly.

I did the same move a couple of years ago.

Given that your residence will not change, you do not need to update your B permit. Also, you pay taxes in the place where you live, therefore also to this extent nothing will change. Your employer will know your address and you will be taxed at source accordingly.

Federica, Feb 9, 12 09:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I was under the impression that I required a work permit as opposed to a resident permit before I could begin working, and that there would be forms which the employer in Lausanne would be required to complete.

I was under the impression that I required a work permit as opposed to a resident permit before I could begin working, and that there would be forms which the employer in Lausanne would be required to complete.

Michael S, Feb 9, 12 10:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

At the time I asked the Office Cantonal de la Population, both in Lausanne and Geneva for this info. As long as your employer knows where you live, you have no other formalities to undertake. Usually when they say work permit they mean residence permit, they are the same thing.

At the time I asked the Office Cantonal de la Population, both in Lausanne and Geneva for this info. As long as your employer knows where you live, you have no other formalities to undertake. Usually when they say work permit they mean residence permit, they are the same thing.

Federica, Feb 9, 12 10:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

A B permit is a work permit, you won't have to change/get anything additional

A B permit is a work permit, you won't have to change/get anything additional

hannesmuc, Feb 9, 12 11:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Thank you both... what I find confusing is that it states clearly on the permit the following:

Autorisation de séjour valable pour toute la suisse jusqu'au 22.04.2013

But de séjour: sans activite lucrative

Am I misunderstanding something? If it is indeed a valid work permit, how would I proceed when I need to renew?

I appreciate your patience...

Thank you both... what I find confusing is that it states clearly on the permit the following:

Am I misunderstanding something? If it is indeed a valid work permit, how would I proceed when I need to renew?

Michael S, Feb 9, 12 12:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Feb 9, 12 12:05

There is no such thing as a "work permit". You do not request authorization from a country to "work" there but to live there hence it's called a residence permit. Some B permits are restricted to the canton that issued it, but it looks that it's not your case. A few months before yor current permit expires you will receive a form to extend it. If say two months before the date you haven't received the form, be proactive and give them a call. That's it.

There is no such thing as a "work permit". You do not request authorization from a country to "work" there but to live there hence it's called a residence permit. Some B permits are restricted to the canton that issued it, but it looks that it's not your case. A few months before yor current permit expires you will receive a form to extend it. If say two months before the date you haven't received the form, be proactive and give them a call. That's it.

catalin, Feb 9, 12 12:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Feb 9, 12 12:05

That "sans activite lucrative" may be a problem. You want to clarify that with he Office de la Population.

That "sans activite lucrative" may be a problem. You want to clarify that with he Office de la Population.

catalin, Feb 9, 12 12:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

When you first got your permit, were you working?

ie did you complete the application and have to hand in a copy of your work contract?

If yes... and as a EU CE B permit holder and if your previous employer paid your taxes at source ...then you have full work and residential mobility rights within Switzerland.

If NO, and this is your first job, (ie you are a trailing spouse and were issued a permit based on your wife/partners job) you will need to go to the office de population and have your permit changed from pure residential to allow you to work.

its a formality... thats all.

When you first got your permit, were you working?

ie did you complete the application and have to hand in a copy of your work contract?

If yes... and as a EU CE B permit holder and if your previous employer paid your taxes at source ...then you have full work and residential mobility rights within Switzerland.

If NO, and this is your first job, (ie you are a trailing spouse and were issued a permit based on your wife/partners job) you will need to go to the office de population and have your permit changed from pure residential to allow you to work.

its a formality... thats all.

Charlie, Feb 9, 12 12:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

as for renewal... you will be sent a letter by the OdP and you complete it... after 5 years continual residence and work and as a UK citizen its very likely you will automatically be issued with a C permit.

In any case the 5 year B permit for your nationality gives you pretty much the same rights as a Swiss citizen in terms of property purchase allowance (should you wish) and decision as to where you live.(canton, commune etc) and mobility rights for work.

as for renewal... you will be sent a letter by the OdP and you complete it... after 5 years continual residence and work and as a UK citizen its very likely you will automatically be issued with a C permit.

In any case the 5 year B permit for your nationality gives you pretty much the same rights as a Swiss citizen in terms of property purchase allowance (should you wish) and decision as to where you live.(canton, commune etc) and mobility rights for work.

Charlie, Feb 9, 12 12:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Thanks all... in response to Charlie's question, this would be my first job in Switzerland (ie I'm a trailing spouse)... 

Thanks all... in response to Charlie's question, this would be my first job in Switzerland (ie I'm a trailing spouse)... 

Michael S, Feb 9, 12 12:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

I wasn't working at the time my permit was issued.

I wasn't working at the time my permit was issued.

Michael S, Feb 9, 12 12:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

I received my permit in December last year, having first applied in June last year.

I received my permit in December last year, having first applied in June last year.

Michael S, Feb 9, 12 12:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

ahh ok ...Your firm will (should) help with the permit conversion... you'll need the offer of employment and contract copy... take these to the OdP and fill out the forms.

Once you have the permission to work (ie NO "sans activite lucrative" on your permit ) you can start.

The length of time it took to issue the original  permit doesnt mean anything except beaurocratic backlog... dont sweat it. There are entitlement rules...its formailites.

Your company will probably have to proove however that youre better for that position and someone with a current right to work... but its their headache, not yours.

ahh ok ...Your firm will (should) help with the permit conversion... you'll need the offer of employment and contract copy... take these to the OdP and fill out the forms.

Once you have the permission to work (ie NO "sans activite lucrative" on your permit ) you can start.

The length of time it took to issue the original  permit doesnt mean anything except beaurocratic backlog... dont sweat it. There are entitlement rules...its formailites.

Your company will probably have to proove however that youre better for that position and someone with a current right to work... but its their headache, not yours.

Charlie, Feb 9, 12 13:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

than someone with current right to work.... not "and"..apologies

than someone with current right to work.... not "and"..apologies

Charlie, Feb 9, 12 13:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Thanks, Charlie... That makes alot more sense... 

Thanks, Charlie... That makes alot more sense... 

Michael S, Feb 9, 12 13:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

hi Michael,

i live in Lausanne and I work in geneva.

I would like to suggest you to think about the possibility to move in Lausanne for living. Lausanne is less expensive than Geneva (e.g. cheaper flat, etc)... why not? :-) i can confirm that lausanne is a very nice city !

have a good evening... cheers mattia

hi Michael,

i live in Lausanne and I work in geneva.

I would like to suggest you to think about the possibility to move in Lausanne for living. Lausanne is less expensive than Geneva (e.g. cheaper flat, etc)... why not? :-) i can confirm that lausanne is a very nice city !

have a good evening... cheers mattia

Mattia B, Feb 25, 12 00:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
16 Replies | 1136 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form