Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Living in France, Working in Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Living in France, Working in Geneva

Hello all,

I am trying to understand the logistics of living in France while working in Geneva. I've been in Geneva a little under a year on a Permit B, and now I have a carte de légitimation. I would like to find an apartment in France since it's cheaper, but I'm not sure what steps I need to take to live in France. Do I need to apply for French residency from scratch, and if so what documentation would that require? I am not an EU citizen.

Can anyone help me out with this, or better yet, point me to which authority I should speak to?

Many Thanks,

Alexandra

The text you are quoting:

Hello all,

I am trying to understand the logistics of living in France while working in Geneva. I've been in Geneva a little under a year on a Permit B, and now I have a carte de légitimation. I would like to find an apartment in France since it's cheaper, but I'm not sure what steps I need to take to live in France. Do I need to apply for French residency from scratch, and if so what documentation would that require? I am not an EU citizen.

Can anyone help me out with this, or better yet, point me to which authority I should speak to?

Many Thanks,

Alexandra

Ryan HJul 27, 2015 @ 21:54
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

7 Replies | 3056 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Living in France, Working in Geneva
Post 1

Do you mind me asking which organisation you work for? If it's CERN it's easy, since we officially straddle the border. For other organisations it may be impossible due to the conditions of your carte de legitimation.

The best bet is to ask your HR department first, they should be used to this question.

Do you mind me asking which organisation you work for? If it's CERN it's easy, since we officially straddle the border. For other organisations it may be impossible due to the conditions of your carte de legitimation.

The best bet is to ask your HR department first, they should be used to this question.

adam_jeff, Jul 28, 2015 @ 10:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

If you work for the IOM, ask their HR department. They will know or will know where to send you.

In my experience, you will have to go to the marie's office in the French town where you will live, present your carte de legitimation and proof of residence in their town and they will hand you an annual French carte de sejour. As simple as that. You may have to provide additional documents, birth certificate or attestattion from employee, but it is pretty easy and easily renewable on an annual basis. After 5 years, you are entitled to apply for long term residence. 

If you work for the IOM, ask their HR department. They will know or will know where to send you.

In my experience, you will have to go to the marie's office in the French town where you will live, present your carte de legitimation and proof of residence in their town and they will hand you an annual French carte de sejour. As simple as that. You may have to provide additional documents, birth certificate or attestattion from employee, but it is pretty easy and easily renewable on an annual basis. After 5 years, you are entitled to apply for long term residence. 

JR M, Jul 28, 2015 @ 15:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

PS, it is not just cheaper, the quality of life is much better in most of the surrounding French towns. Great quality food in the stores and restaurants, great selection of wines, easily accessible pools, cinemas at one third or quarter of a price compared to Geneva, nice people who do not call the Gestapo if you wash your clothes after 9 pm. Neighbors you get to know. You can always get over to Geneva quickly and easily for any of the larger city trimmings.

PS, it is not just cheaper, the quality of life is much better in most of the surrounding French towns. Great quality food in the stores and restaurants, great selection of wines, easily accessible pools, cinemas at one third or quarter of a price compared to Geneva, nice people who do not call the Gestapo if you wash your clothes after 9 pm. Neighbors you get to know. You can always get over to Geneva quickly and easily for any of the larger city trimmings.

JR M, Jul 28, 2015 @ 15:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Jul 28, 15 15:20

That's an highly personnal statement. I had a not so great experience in the bordering area, despite being french.

I find the quality of life in Switzerland much better. 

I think one has to visit to get its own idea on that matter.

That's an highly personnal statement. I had a not so great experience in the bordering area, despite being french.

yoyo lolo, Jul 28, 2015 @ 20:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Jul 28, 15 20:20

I agree. R.

I agree. R.

Ritchie, Jul 28, 2015 @ 20:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Jul 28, 15 20:20

But of course.

But of course.

JR M, Jul 29, 2015 @ 13:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Thanks for your help, all. I have asked my HR department, and hopefully I'll be in France soon.

Merci!

Thanks for your help, all. I have asked my HR department, and hopefully I'll be in France soon.

Merci!

Ryan H, Jul 31, 2015 @ 22:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
7 Replies | 3056 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form