Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Living in France, working in Geneva: Schools and area info

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Living in France, working in Geneva: Schools and area info

We are planning to move to Geneva in January. We are supposed  to be signing a lease on a house in France next week, Vetraz Monthoux (about 4km from AnneMasse). But before I do this, I have some concerns, can you help?

We both work. We have three children (5, 3 and 5months). We don't speak any French (yet). My biggest dilemma is over schools.

I was originally looking at the International Schools (Mosaic and Geneva International are closest to where we will live) but they have huge waiting lists so it is unlikely that we would get a place anytime soon. So now I'm stuck and am not sure what to do. I want the 5yr old, in particular, to continue at school, but this is proving to be difficult to arrange.

Many of the Swiss public schools have English welcome classes, but can we attend these, if living in France? Or do French public schools have a similar system that helps English speakers settle in?

And finally, if you know anything, good or bad, about this Vetraz Monthoux or the surrounding area, please let me know. We a supposed to sign our lease on Tuesday and I am terrified we may be making a mistake with the area.

Any advice/ thoughts would be much appreciated. Many thanks

The text you are quoting:

We are planning to move to Geneva in January. We are supposed  to be signing a lease on a house in France next week, Vetraz Monthoux (about 4km from AnneMasse). But before I do this, I have some concerns, can you help?

We both work. We have three children (5, 3 and 5months). We don't speak any French (yet). My biggest dilemma is over schools.

I was originally looking at the International Schools (Mosaic and Geneva International are closest to where we will live) but they have huge waiting lists so it is unlikely that we would get a place anytime soon. So now I'm stuck and am not sure what to do. I want the 5yr old, in particular, to continue at school, but this is proving to be difficult to arrange.

Many of the Swiss public schools have English welcome classes, but can we attend these, if living in France? Or do French public schools have a similar system that helps English speakers settle in?

And finally, if you know anything, good or bad, about this Vetraz Monthoux or the surrounding area, please let me know. We a supposed to sign our lease on Tuesday and I am terrified we may be making a mistake with the area.

Any advice/ thoughts would be much appreciated. Many thanks

Kate CNov 25, 2009 @ 16:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 4804 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Living in France, working in Geneva: Schools and area info
Post 1

Hi you can give me a call and I'll be hay to tell you a little about Vetraz.

Hilary

0033 683 900 781

Hi you can give me a call and I'll be hay to tell you a little about Vetraz.

Hilary

0033 683 900 781

hermes, Nov 25, 2009 @ 17:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Brilliant thanks. I will give you a call in the morning

Brilliant thanks. I will give you a call in the morning

Kate C, Nov 25, 2009 @ 21:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Dear Kate,

I have 2 girls who have a Brit as a Dad and a Norwegian as a Mum. Before we split earlier in the year we had had both of the girls in the local French schools (8 years and 5 years). The youngest can join the Maternelle class from 4 years.

We of course had the option to put them both into International Schools, but decided that we wanted them to experience the culture and to learn the language. After 4 years experience of this (the oldest of course was there that long), I must say it was the right decision. The school was the one in our village (Echenevex) and had quite a number of non-french students. As such the teachers were quite used to helping them develop their language skills as well as the interpersonal skills.

The syllabus was strong and focused on their needs. Each one of my girls after 1 year were fluent in French (my oldest now speaks 4 languages to mother tongue level) and had an excellent local circle of friends. As a parent having such a local network of parents helps both the children but also the parents to integrate very quickly.

I would suggest you look at that option.

In addition most schools have some form of after school service (for a small fee) as well as catering for lunches. In the Swiss schools this is limited and in the International Schools you are charged for every bread roll they eat.

Happy to discuss in more detail if you would like - let me know.

regards,

Neil

Dear Kate,

I have 2 girls who have a Brit as a Dad and a Norwegian as a Mum. Before we split earlier in the year we had had both of the girls in the local French schools (8 years and 5 years). The youngest can join the Maternelle class from 4 years.

We of course had the option to put them both into International Schools, but decided that we wanted them to experience the culture and to learn the language. After 4 years experience of this (the oldest of course was there that long), I must say it was the right decision. The school was the one in our village (Echenevex) and had quite a number of non-french students. As such the teachers were quite used to helping them develop their language skills as well as the interpersonal skills.

The syllabus was strong and focused on their needs. Each one of my girls after 1 year were fluent in French (my oldest now speaks 4 languages to mother tongue level) and had an excellent local circle of friends. As a parent having such a local network of parents helps both the children but also the parents to integrate very quickly.

I would suggest you look at that option.

In addition most schools have some form of after school service (for a small fee) as well as catering for lunches. In the Swiss schools this is limited and in the International Schools you are charged for every bread roll they eat.

Happy to discuss in more detail if you would like - let me know.

regards,

Neil

Neil M, Nov 26, 2009 @ 08:43
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Thank you Hilary, Robi and Neil, this is very useful. I now feel that it will be fine to put the kids into French schools. It looks like your kids have all thrived!

However, from the feedback I have had about the area we were looking at (near Annemasse), we would be on the wrong side of town to access a more international community. If we didn't have kids, I think it would be fine. I gather the area around Annemasse is not geared towards international families compared with those areas in France nearish to the airport.

I do not want to start the search for housing again but I don't think I can ignore all the excellent advice I have had...some hard (and quick) decisions to make.

Thanks so much. I will let you know what we finally decide. If in the meantime you have any more to add, do let me know.

Thank you Hilary, Robi and Neil, this is very useful. I now feel that it will be fine to put the kids into French schools. It looks like your kids have all thrived!

However, from the feedback I have had about the area we were looking at (near Annemasse), we would be on the wrong side of town to access a more international community. If we didn't have kids, I think it would be fine. I gather the area around Annemasse is not geared towards international families compared with those areas in France nearish to the airport.

I do not want to start the search for housing again but I don't think I can ignore all the excellent advice I have had...some hard (and quick) decisions to make.

Thanks so much. I will let you know what we finally decide. If in the meantime you have any more to add, do let me know.

Kate C, Nov 26, 2009 @ 10:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Kate , we are a little further out than you about 10Km from Annemasse on the other side of the motorway, and I think you'll be surprised how many International people are in this area, so don't be surprised to hear English in the local supermarket as you wander around.

We chose the International School when we arrived as our daughter was older at 10 and we weren't sure how long we were staying, also we had an apartment in Geneva.

We moved to France 5 years ago and kept the kids at the international school , and although we are pleased with the school it does mean that locally they have little interaction with any other children and most of our time is spent taxiing them into Geneva to meet their school friends.

Oh, and even though you are outside Annemasse on the "wrong side" , getting into Geneva is so quick, if you want to meet up with International people.

Trevor

Kate , we are a little further out than you about 10Km from Annemasse on the other side of the motorway, and I think you'll be surprised how many International people are in this area, so don't be surprised to hear English in the local supermarket as you wander around.

We chose the International School when we arrived as our daughter was older at 10 and we weren't sure how long we were staying, also we had an apartment in Geneva.

We moved to France 5 years ago and kept the kids at the international school , and although we are pleased with the school it does mean that locally they have little interaction with any other children and most of our time is spent taxiing them into Geneva to meet their school friends.

Oh, and even though you are outside Annemasse on the "wrong side" , getting into Geneva is so quick, if you want to meet up with International people.

Trevor

britabroad, Nov 26, 2009 @ 13:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 4804 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form