Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Looking for a small studio flat

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Looking for a small studio flat

Hi All,

I am Cansu, moving to Geneva in October for my master studies. I am looking for a small flat for myself. I am checking the ads here for a while. Either they are gone already or the price range of the houses fitting my budget are located in France. The thing is I cannot live in France since I am not EU citizen. My student visa will allow me only to live in Switzerland. I am looking for something at most 1300 CHF/month, utilities included. Preferably with the stuff in it, at least enough to survive Smile Good connection to the center and being warm during winter time is a must. Sorry, I am coming from Mediterranean climate so at least I need my home to be warm! Maybe I am looking for a unicorn, but worth to ask it anyway Wink I would be glad if you have any suggestions for homes or websites or anything comes to your mind. 

Well, the other option will be renting a parking space, put my tent on the spot and buy clothing and sleeping bag suitable for Antarctic weather. So, don't afraid if you see someone around fitting the description after mid-October in Geneva. 

Many thanks for your help already,
Cansu

The text you are quoting:

Hi All,

I am Cansu, moving to Geneva in October for my master studies. I am looking for a small flat for myself. I am checking the ads here for a while. Either they are gone already or the price range of the houses fitting my budget are located in France. The thing is I cannot live in France since I am not EU citizen. My student visa will allow me only to live in Switzerland. I am looking for something at most 1300 CHF/month, utilities included. Preferably with the stuff in it, at least enough to survive Smile Good connection to the center and being warm during winter time is a must. Sorry, I am coming from Mediterranean climate so at least I need my home to be warm! Maybe I am looking for a unicorn, but worth to ask it anyway Wink I would be glad if you have any suggestions for homes or websites or anything comes to your mind. 

Well, the other option will be renting a parking space, put my tent on the spot and buy clothing and sleeping bag suitable for Antarctic weather. So, don't afraid if you see someone around fitting the description after mid-October in Geneva. 

Many thanks for your help already,
Cansu

Cece TAug 23, 2016 @ 00:12
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 872 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Looking for a small studio flat
Post 1

Hi Cansu,

finding a place in Geneva is quite not an easy thing especially when you are short in timing or have a small budget.

If  your timing is short, maybe you could try to look for flatmates, so at least you would have a place to stay, meet new friendly people, and it would give you time to find your unicorn ;-)

Good luck in your research.

cheers 

Hi Cansu,

finding a place in Geneva is quite not an easy thing especially when you are short in timing or have a small budget.

If  your timing is short, maybe you could try to look for flatmates, so at least you would have a place to stay, meet new friendly people, and it would give you time to find your unicorn ;-)

Good luck in your research.

cheers 

Aymeric Brossard, Aug 23, 2016 @ 09:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Your chances of finding even a furnished studio for CHF 1300 p.m. are pretty slim, but you should be able to find a congenial and comfortable flat-share, so why not go for that until you are lucky enough to find a place of your own.  You’ll make friends and contacts and that’s how many people find the housing that fits their budget.

Your chances of finding even a furnished studio for CHF 1300 p.m. are pretty slim, but you should be able to find a congenial and comfortable flat-share, so why not go for that until you are lucky enough to find a place of your own.  You’ll make friends and contacts and that’s how many people find the housing that fits their budget.

Ritchie, Aug 23, 2016 @ 12:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Aymeric and Ritchie!

Thanks a lot for your valuable comments, looks like I need to consider to share a flat with other people. My idea was not to find a place in the really center of Geneva but places like Meyrin (I have no idea about this place, I just saw it on map), a bit far from the center but still have a transportation option. And a place equipped with kitchen appliances like fridge and oven, not the full stuff. The thing is my parents will visit me frequently so I wanted to find a place for my own to be comfortable when they are around :)

I know it is really hard to find a place in Geneva and you are right, until I find my unicorn I need to find a temporary place to stay. But I still have a hope Laughing

Fingers crossed!

Best,
Cansu

Hi Aymeric and Ritchie!

Thanks a lot for your valuable comments, looks like I need to consider to share a flat with other people. My idea was not to find a place in the really center of Geneva but places like Meyrin (I have no idea about this place, I just saw it on map), a bit far from the center but still have a transportation option. And a place equipped with kitchen appliances like fridge and oven, not the full stuff. The thing is my parents will visit me frequently so I wanted to find a place for my own to be comfortable when they are around :)

I know it is really hard to find a place in Geneva and you are right, until I find my unicorn I need to find a temporary place to stay. But I still have a hope Laughing

Fingers crossed!

Best,
Cansu

Cece T, Aug 23, 2016 @ 14:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi Aymeric and Ritchie!

Fingers crossed!

Best,
Cansu

Aug 23, 16 14:38

Meyrin is very international and  pleasant enough, but it is very near CERN so the demand for temporary accommodation is high and the prices are not so low.

Moreover, if you expect to have frequent visitors, I’m afraid you’ll have to up your budget for the space you’ll need.

And just an extra word to the wise, blocking your profile does you no favours as people will want to know that you are indeed a bona fide resident in Geneva.

All the best, R.

Meyrin is very international and  pleasant enough, but it is very near CERN so the demand for temporary accommodation is high and the prices are not so low.

Moreover, if you expect to have frequent visitors, I’m afraid you’ll have to up your budget for the space you’ll need.

And just an extra word to the wise, blocking your profile does you no favours as people will want to know that you are indeed a bona fide resident in Geneva.

All the best, R.

Ritchie, Aug 23, 2016 @ 15:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi Ritchie,

Thanks for the information about Meyrin! And thanks for warning me about my profile, I wasn't aware of it. I changed the settings, so should be fine now :)

It is good to have all those information to keep in mind, I appeciate you sharing your experience and seems like I have a lot to learn about Geneva. I hope I will adapt easily when I arrive :)

Warm regards,

Cansu

Hi Ritchie,

Thanks for the information about Meyrin! And thanks for warning me about my profile, I wasn't aware of it. I changed the settings, so should be fine now :)

It is good to have all those information to keep in mind, I appeciate you sharing your experience and seems like I have a lot to learn about Geneva. I hope I will adapt easily when I arrive :)

Warm regards,

Cansu

Cece T, Aug 23, 2016 @ 15:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 872 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form