Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Losing hope of finding an apartment in France. Help welcome

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Losing hope of finding an apartment in France. Help welcome

Dear fellow expats

I hope you are all enjoying the gorgeous weather we are having here in Geneva. As a northerner by upbringing it's a little too much for me, though it beats the rain and sludge I had back home before I arrived. 

To give you some background about myself, I am a medical student close to finishing his studies. I came to Geneva on study leave due to a public health related job opening that I simply could not pass up. I've been here since May, and I do love my job, but my problem is finding steady accommodation. My job pays well enough but as I will be joined by my fiancé in July, it's not enough to sustain two people in Geneva. It is for this reason that I live on the border in France, and hope to continue to do so until my job contract ends in January. 

Since March, I've tried to secure an apartment through leboncoin.fr. However, since I was not even based in Geneva back then, I had no luck. So instead I came to glocals and I'm happy to say that currently I rent a room in Gaillard through one of our fellow users. My hope was that once I am here, it will be easier to find an apartment. Unfortunately I was wrong. In two months time I've managed to get exactly two replies on leboncoin, neither of which appear to be working out. My fiancé is moving here in less than 3 weeks and currently I have no place for us to live. I am sending e-mails to people as soon as an ad gets put up but the return rate is what it is. 

Has anyone ever been in this situation? Do you have any advice on how to increase my chances of finding an apartment? I suppose, as a backup, I can continue renting rooms through glocals, but the thought of having my fiancé move from a permanent job and an apartment in Estonia to share a room on the outskirts of Geneva is quite crushing. I would be very grateful for any advice that you might be able to give.

Warm regards
Priit

The text you are quoting:

Dear fellow expats

I hope you are all enjoying the gorgeous weather we are having here in Geneva. As a northerner by upbringing it's a little too much for me, though it beats the rain and sludge I had back home before I arrived. 

To give you some background about myself, I am a medical student close to finishing his studies. I came to Geneva on study leave due to a public health related job opening that I simply could not pass up. I've been here since May, and I do love my job, but my problem is finding steady accommodation. My job pays well enough but as I will be joined by my fiancé in July, it's not enough to sustain two people in Geneva. It is for this reason that I live on the border in France, and hope to continue to do so until my job contract ends in January. 

Since March, I've tried to secure an apartment through leboncoin.fr. However, since I was not even based in Geneva back then, I had no luck. So instead I came to glocals and I'm happy to say that currently I rent a room in Gaillard through one of our fellow users. My hope was that once I am here, it will be easier to find an apartment. Unfortunately I was wrong. In two months time I've managed to get exactly two replies on leboncoin, neither of which appear to be working out. My fiancé is moving here in less than 3 weeks and currently I have no place for us to live. I am sending e-mails to people as soon as an ad gets put up but the return rate is what it is. 

Has anyone ever been in this situation? Do you have any advice on how to increase my chances of finding an apartment? I suppose, as a backup, I can continue renting rooms through glocals, but the thought of having my fiancé move from a permanent job and an apartment in Estonia to share a room on the outskirts of Geneva is quite crushing. I would be very grateful for any advice that you might be able to give.

Warm regards
Priit

Priit TohverJun 13, 2017 @ 15:59
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

16 Replies | 1927 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Losing hope of finding an apartment in France. Help welcome
Post 1

Hi

Try going to your local French Mairie - it's a long shot, but you maybe lucky. Normally I would advise Leboncoin, but you have obviously tried this. However, if you look a little further out, there are lots of apartments available [including where we live in Evian-les-Bains], but of course you would have to commute. It is always a question of balance.

Good luck!

https://www.leboncoin.fr/locations/1148625077.htm?ca=22_s

https://www.leboncoin.fr/locations/1148498687.htm?ca=22_s

https://www.leboncoin.fr/locations/1148498576.htm?ca=22_s

https://www.leboncoin.fr/locations/1148243571.htm?ca=22_s

Hi

Try going to your local French Mairie - it's a long shot, but you maybe lucky. Normally I would advise Leboncoin, but you have obviously tried this. However, if you look a little further out, there are lots of apartments available [including where we live in Evian-les-Bains], but of course you would have to commute. It is always a question of balance.

Good luck!

https://www.leboncoin.fr/locations/1148625077.htm?ca=22_s

https://www.leboncoin.fr/locations/1148498687.htm?ca=22_s

https://www.leboncoin.fr/locations/1148498576.htm?ca=22_s

https://www.leboncoin.fr/locations/1148243571.htm?ca=22_s

sheila c, Jun 13, 2017 @ 18:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Dear Sheila

Thank you very much for the helpful reply. Could you just clarify how the Mairie might help me? Do they have a list of classifieds there?

Best
Priit

Dear Sheila

Thank you very much for the helpful reply. Could you just clarify how the Mairie might help me? Do they have a list of classifieds there?

Best
Priit

Priit Tohver, Jun 13, 2017 @ 21:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Not officially no, but they hear things on the grape vine.

Not officially no, but they hear things on the grape vine.

sheila c, Jun 13, 2017 @ 21:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Pah...stay out there... I have tried too and they always find a reason to let you wait until autumn. Then, whenever they find one of their fruuzie fellows they give the appartment to this person. 

I was finally so fed up with them. I made a definitive line under the story and this line matches with the border we have with them.

I hope that this experience one day will be balanced with something nice from over there. France is full of bullshit.

Pah...stay out there... I have tried too and they always find a reason to let you wait until autumn. Then, whenever they find one of their fruuzie fellows they give the appartment to this person. 

I was finally so fed up with them. I made a definitive line under the story and this line matches with the border we have with them.

I hope that this experience one day will be balanced with something nice from over there. France is full of bullshit.

Jonas M, Jun 14, 2017 @ 19:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

The mairie is usually closed. And usually they do not have an email adress.

The mairie is usually closed. And usually they do not have an email adress.

Jonas M, Jun 14, 2017 @ 19:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Dear Jonas

Thank you for your open and frank response! I am very sorry that you had to go through the same experience. I now know the toll it takes on a person. I'm very grateful for the glocals family for reaching out, I've received several good ideas and an offer for an apartment, which is a reassuring reminder of the good we have in the world :)

Best
Priit

Dear Jonas

Thank you for your open and frank response! I am very sorry that you had to go through the same experience. I now know the toll it takes on a person. I'm very grateful for the glocals family for reaching out, I've received several good ideas and an offer for an apartment, which is a reassuring reminder of the good we have in the world :)

Best
Priit

Priit Tohver, Jun 14, 2017 @ 20:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

I am happy that it worked out well for you. Then you can enjoy the time with your wife. I am going through this since several years. ( Without wife :-) )

I am also a medical student. Also stuck in gaillard for another month :-)

Best

Jonas

I am happy that it worked out well for you. Then you can enjoy the time with your wife. I am going through this since several years. ( Without wife :-) )

I am also a medical student. Also stuck in gaillard for another month :-)

Best

Jonas

Jonas M, Jun 14, 2017 @ 20:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

It is actually quite easy. I don't know much about Gaillard, but in Ferney or Saint Genis, there are several real estate agencies, and they advertise plenty of rentals on the window of their offices. Try looking online  for real estate agents (immobilier). You can go into their offices and tell them what you are looking for, what your budget is, and they will find it for you. They get their commission from the owners.

It is actually quite easy. I don't know much about Gaillard, but in Ferney or Saint Genis, there are several real estate agencies, and they advertise plenty of rentals on the window of their offices. Try looking online  for real estate agents (immobilier). You can go into their offices and tell them what you are looking for, what your budget is, and they will find it for you. They get their commission from the owners.

JR M, Jun 14, 2017 @ 22:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hello! This is news to me. I know a few websites that have agency ads up, but they all leave the appearance that I have to pay their commission. Are the real estate agents also more demanding in terms of paperwork? Some places have told me they want proof of 3 month's wages and 3 month's rent (in France), which I cannot provide because I have only been here for 2 months.

Hello! This is news to me. I know a few websites that have agency ads up, but they all leave the appearance that I have to pay their commission. Are the real estate agents also more demanding in terms of paperwork? Some places have told me they want proof of 3 month's wages and 3 month's rent (in France), which I cannot provide because I have only been here for 2 months.

Priit Tohver, Jun 14, 2017 @ 22:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hi Pritt,

I've sent you a message about apartments.

Maybe it would help?

Regards,

BCRover

Hi Pritt,

I've sent you a message about apartments.

Maybe it would help?

Regards,

BCRover

BCROVER, Jun 15, 2017 @ 09:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hello everyone

Thank you again for all the help: everyone who wrote here and also privately. Eventually I managed to get an apartment. After 3 months I got 2 replies on leboncoin that led to a visit, and we just managed to get the second one. I believe my air of desperation might have helped... For a while there it looked like all my Geneva plans were mercilessly falling apart, but fortunately I found a sympathetic landlord.

All the best to you, glocals

Priit

Hello everyone

Thank you again for all the help: everyone who wrote here and also privately. Eventually I managed to get an apartment. After 3 months I got 2 replies on leboncoin that led to a visit, and we just managed to get the second one. I believe my air of desperation might have helped... For a while there it looked like all my Geneva plans were mercilessly falling apart, but fortunately I found a sympathetic landlord.

All the best to you, glocals

Priit

Priit Tohver, Jun 28, 2017 @ 13:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Bravo. I am certain everyone who contributed is very happy for you!

Good luck for the future

Bravo. I am certain everyone who contributed is very happy for you!

Good luck for the future

sheila c, Jun 28, 2017 @ 13:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

Thanks for letting us know!

Best wishes!

Thanks for letting us know!

Best wishes!

Celia l, Jun 28, 2017 @ 14:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Bonsoir Priit,

J'ai un très joli appartement à louer à Collonge sous Salève. Il conviendrait à votre couple et il est disponible.

Dites moi si vous voulez le visiter. Vous ne serez pas déçu.

Meilleures salutations

BM

Bonsoir Priit,

J'ai un très joli appartement à louer à Collonge sous Salève. Il conviendrait à votre couple et il est disponible.

Dites moi si vous voulez le visiter. Vous ne serez pas déçu.

Meilleures salutations

BM

Beatrice M, Jun 28, 2017 @ 22:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

SHOE ON THE OTHER FOOT

Keep in mind owners sometimes go thru the exact same emotional despair over not finding proper tenants when, as is my case, the only other option is to sell the family house you grew up in and this literally breaks your heart... 

SHOE ON THE OTHER FOOT

Keep in mind owners sometimes go thru the exact same emotional despair over not finding proper tenants when, as is my case, the only other option is to sell the family house you grew up in and this literally breaks your heart... 

Maeva N, Jun 29, 2017 @ 08:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
16 Replies | 1927 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form