Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Marriage in Geneva for Brits

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Marriage in Geneva for Brits

Hi All,

I've had a look about the site but couldn't find the answers to the questions i have.

Me and my fiancé are planning to get married and would like to do it here in Geneva as we're both resident here.  We're both british with permit bs and are trying to figure out what exactly is required and how long it will take/how much the admin will cost etc.

Does anyone have any experience of what documents brits need (other than new birth certificates)?

Also on where to source them?

It seems like certificates of no impediment or registration of civil status is necessary but the british government website is zero help on this and it seems that the britsh embassy in Bern doesnt offer either of these.

Many thanks in advance

The text you are quoting:

Hi All,

I've had a look about the site but couldn't find the answers to the questions i have.

Me and my fiancé are planning to get married and would like to do it here in Geneva as we're both resident here.  We're both british with permit bs and are trying to figure out what exactly is required and how long it will take/how much the admin will cost etc.

Does anyone have any experience of what documents brits need (other than new birth certificates)?

Also on where to source them?

It seems like certificates of no impediment or registration of civil status is necessary but the british government website is zero help on this and it seems that the britsh embassy in Bern doesnt offer either of these.

Many thanks in advance

Sean PMay 24, 2018 @ 18:56
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 1534 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Marriage in Geneva for Brits
Post 1

Hello,

We are both British and on B permits and we are getting married here in a few weeks.

You need to go to your local Mairie in your commune (we live in Veyrier so ours is Chene Bourg) and they will give you a form to fill out and then you need to provide them with:

A birth new stamped certificate from the UK - can be ordered on the gov website for about 10 gbp each.

B permit

Passport

They also asked for a certificate of celibacy - we never provided one but they did ask for it. It didn't seem to matter in the end. 

We didn't get anything translated.

You can only book a date maximum 3 months before it happens. We got our date last week and it is happening in 2 weeks time.

Hope that helps! PM me if you have any other questions!

Hello,

We are both British and on B permits and we are getting married here in a few weeks.

You need to go to your local Mairie in your commune (we live in Veyrier so ours is Chene Bourg) and they will give you a form to fill out and then you need to provide them with:

A birth new stamped certificate from the UK - can be ordered on the gov website for about 10 gbp each.

B permit

Passport

They also asked for a certificate of celibacy - we never provided one but they did ask for it. It didn't seem to matter in the end. 

You can only book a date maximum 3 months before it happens. We got our date last week and it is happening in 2 weeks time.

Lizzie B, May 28, 2018 @ 13:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hello,

B permit

Passport

May 28, 18 13:00

In addition to everything that Lizzie has said, I would just like to add a word to the wise, namely,

make photocopies of any documents you hand over to the Mairie, just in case something gets “mislaid” or goes astray.  I’ve known this to happen.

That said, all the very best to all of you,

Ritchie

In addition to everything that Lizzie has said, I would just like to add a word to the wise, namely,

make photocopies of any documents you hand over to the Mairie, just in case something gets “mislaid” or goes astray.  I’ve known this to happen.

That said, all the very best to all of you,

Ritchie

Ritchie, May 28, 2018 @ 13:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thanks all for the responses! Very useful so far

We popped down to the registry office today and got told that we don't need certificates of civil status as the british embassy no longer issues them. So no worries there.

However Geneva registry office does require translation of our birth certificates by a traducteur-juré unfortunately.  

Can anyone recommend a traducteur-juré who is quick and not too pricey?

Many thanks!

We popped down to the registry office today and got told that we don't need certificates of civil status as the british embassy no longer issues them. So no worries there.

However Geneva registry office does require translation of our birth certificates by a traducteur-juré unfortunately.  

Many thanks!

Sean P, Jun 4, 2018 @ 18:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Many thanks!

Jun 4, 18 18:51

I suggest that you contact the Association of Interpreters and Translators in Geneva.  They have a list of accredited translators of official documents.

However, the tariff for such work is fixed and regulated so you will have to pay whatever is asked.  Such translations aren’t that cheap but you have to accept that the work is legally binding. And you can, of course ask to see the tariff before you confirm the transaction.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, be sure to make photocopies of your birth certificates and of the translations.  Better to be safe than inconvenienced and sorry later.

Good luck, R.

I suggest that you contact the Association of Interpreters and Translators in Geneva.  They have a list of accredited translators of official documents.

However, the tariff for such work is fixed and regulated so you will have to pay whatever is asked.  Such translations aren’t that cheap but you have to accept that the work is legally binding. And you can, of course ask to see the tariff before you confirm the transaction.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, be sure to make photocopies of your birth certificates and of the translations.  Better to be safe than inconvenienced and sorry later.

Good luck, R.

Ritchie, Jun 4, 2018 @ 19:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Thanks Ritchie

Thanks Ritchie

Sean P, Jun 6, 2018 @ 12:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

You may call Ms Ines Hidalgo who is a traductrice jurée and has a large network of translators. Her personnal details are : phone 079 459 39 70‬ ; email :[email protected] Best wishes, Nelson

You may call Ms Ines Hidalgo who is a traductrice jurée and has a large network of translators. Her personnal details are : phone 079 459 39 70‬ ; email :[email protected] Best wishes, Nelson

Nelson M, Jun 6, 2018 @ 17:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi All,

I am in a similar situation and would like some guidance.

Im a British National with a B permit working in Geneva, and I will be getting married to my Fiance who is also a British National (currently working and living in the UK) in the UK in September 2019.

After we are married we would like to live together in Switzerland and as such she would move over here, and ideally also work in Geneva.

Please can someone guide me as to what I need to do to obtain the correct Permit for her to be able to live and work in Switzerland as my spouse.

Hi All,

I am in a similar situation and would like some guidance.

Im a British National with a B permit working in Geneva, and I will be getting married to my Fiance who is also a British National (currently working and living in the UK) in the UK in September 2019.

After we are married we would like to live together in Switzerland and as such she would move over here, and ideally also work in Geneva.

Please can someone guide me as to what I need to do to obtain the correct Permit for her to be able to live and work in Switzerland as my spouse.

Sal karbh, Feb 11, 2019 @ 14:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi, you should go the OFFICE CANTONAL DE LA POPULATION and ask them direcdtly. They will be able to guide you.

Hi, you should go the OFFICE CANTONAL DE LA POPULATION and ask them direcdtly. They will be able to guide you.

Rachelle P, Feb 11, 2019 @ 19:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi Sal,

rachelle is right the office cantonal de la population will be able to help. 

Once you are married you can apply for a b permit for your wife under family reunification. If she wants to move here before marriage, then its more tricky but can be done. you can apply for a b permit with her being Sejour en concubinage and you would have to prove that you can cover her financially. There are agencies that can help you with the visa process. 

Hope that helps

Hi Sal,

rachelle is right the office cantonal de la population will be able to help. 

Once you are married you can apply for a b permit for your wife under family reunification. If she wants to move here before marriage, then its more tricky but can be done. you can apply for a b permit with her being Sejour en concubinage and you would have to prove that you can cover her financially. There are agencies that can help you with the visa process. 

Hope that helps

Sean P, Mar 7, 2019 @ 20:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 1534 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form