Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Moving from France to Switzerland - work permit changes required??!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Moving from France to Switzerland - work permit changes required??!

Hi everyone, 

Looking for a little advice as unable to find a straight answer... 

I currently hold a G permit and live in France. I am moving into Geneva and am unsure how to proceed with work permits - whether I can convert my G permit to a B permit or whether an entirely new application for a B permit is required? 

If anyone has any information on which forms I need, all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot

Hannah

The text you are quoting:

Hi everyone, 

Looking for a little advice as unable to find a straight answer... 

I currently hold a G permit and live in France. I am moving into Geneva and am unsure how to proceed with work permits - whether I can convert my G permit to a B permit or whether an entirely new application for a B permit is required? 

If anyone has any information on which forms I need, all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot

Hannah

Hannah ShortMar 27, 2015 @ 11:53
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1703 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Moving from France to Switzerland - work permit changes required??!
Post 1

Hi Hannah

Best advice is to go straight to the office that handles permit applications: Route de Chancy 88, 1213 Onex. They are open from 7.30am (arrive then and you are nearly guaranteed no queue). The guichet staff are very helpful.

Regards

Sam

Woodhouse Carpentry & Custom Furniture

www.wood-house.ch

Hi Hannah

Best advice is to go straight to the office that handles permit applications: Route de Chancy 88, 1213 Onex. They are open from 7.30am (arrive then and you are nearly guaranteed no queue). The guichet staff are very helpful.

Regards

Sam

Woodhouse Carpentry & Custom Furniture

www.wood-house.ch

SamW, Mar 27, 2015 @ 20:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Hannah,

The same happened to me this time last year.  Moved from Gex to Lancy.  I presume that you are an EU citizen.  If so, I think it is relatively straighforward.  Usually your employer short sort everything out for you - I only had to fill in a number of forms and eventually my B permit was done.  Actually the hardest part was getting an address.  It tends to be a chicken and egg situation - no permit until you have a swiss address and no swiss adress until you have a work permit - though that may just have been our experience.

If not an EU citizen then be prepared to camp out in the Route de Chancy - i also had to go through this painful ordeal as my wife is not an EU citizen.  Good luck!

Hi Hannah,

The same happened to me this time last year.  Moved from Gex to Lancy.  I presume that you are an EU citizen.  If so, I think it is relatively straighforward.  Usually your employer short sort everything out for you - I only had to fill in a number of forms and eventually my B permit was done.  Actually the hardest part was getting an address.  It tends to be a chicken and egg situation - no permit until you have a swiss address and no swiss adress until you have a work permit - though that may just have been our experience.

If not an EU citizen then be prepared to camp out in the Route de Chancy - i also had to go through this painful ordeal as my wife is not an EU citizen.  Good luck!

Nick Manfield, Mar 27, 2015 @ 21:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Thank you very much everyone! 

I will go armed with multiple forms and with my fingers crossed :)

Thank you very much everyone! 

I will go armed with multiple forms and with my fingers crossed :)

Hannah Short, Mar 30, 2015 @ 21:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

If anyone is in the same situation... this is the answer (at least for the Geneva canton!)

- You need to complete a form for a B Permit application (for EU citizens, this is the form UE http://www.ge.ch/etrangers-confederes/fr/doc/ue4-1-formulaire-ue.pdf ) 

- You and your employer need to sign it

- You pay 65chf to the OCPM

- You send 2 copies of the signed application form, passport copy, 2 photos (with name and date on back), receipt of payment and copy of your rental contract to the OCPM  

If anyone is in the same situation... this is the answer (at least for the Geneva canton!)

- You need to complete a form for a B Permit application (for EU citizens, this is the form UE http://www.ge.ch/etrangers-confederes/fr/doc/ue4-1-formulaire-ue.pdf ) 

- You and your employer need to sign it

- You pay 65chf to the OCPM

- You send 2 copies of the signed application form, passport copy, 2 photos (with name and date on back), receipt of payment and copy of your rental contract to the OCPM  

Hannah Short, Mar 31, 2015 @ 09:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Your address in France is already registered in the office cantonal de la population (OCP)

So I think the first step is to inform the change of address ( from France to Suiss ) to the OCP.

For that you have to fill a form and to submit with some documents like, rent contract which proves that you are allowed to live in the new apartment. During the process of changing your address ,auto matically your permit will be changed to the new permit which is decided by the OCP.

Your address in France is already registered in the office cantonal de la population (OCP)

So I think the first step is to inform the change of address ( from France to Suiss ) to the OCP.

For that you have to fill a form and to submit with some documents like, rent contract which proves that you are allowed to live in the new apartment. During the process of changing your address ,auto matically your permit will be changed to the new permit which is decided by the OCP.

Saju V, Mar 31, 2015 @ 17:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1703 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form