Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Moving to Geneve

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Moving to Geneve

Hi all, 

i'm about to move in Geneve. I got the job, I got the house. I have only a few problems.

1) I need to storage some boxes until for 2/3 days (waiting for the landlord to give me the apt). Which storage would you recommend? 

2) I have a car and I don't really know where to park it. I would like to get a parking space for 150 CHF but i'll leave in Eaux-Vives and as far as i know i can't find anything. Plus, what does the agency (regie?) require? Same as what they ask for in the dossier for apt. application?

3) What would you choose? To save some money and being in Geneva without a car or to have it? I'll be out but mostly in Geneva center. I also play sports like beach volley, I won't be able to park the car unless public parking space is in the same zone for which i have the macaron, righr? 

4) How much time will it require for me to get residence and macaron for my car?

Do you have any advice? 

Thanks a lot

The text you are quoting:

Hi all, 

i'm about to move in Geneve. I got the job, I got the house. I have only a few problems.

1) I need to storage some boxes until for 2/3 days (waiting for the landlord to give me the apt). Which storage would you recommend? 

2) I have a car and I don't really know where to park it. I would like to get a parking space for 150 CHF but i'll leave in Eaux-Vives and as far as i know i can't find anything. Plus, what does the agency (regie?) require? Same as what they ask for in the dossier for apt. application?

3) What would you choose? To save some money and being in Geneva without a car or to have it? I'll be out but mostly in Geneva center. I also play sports like beach volley, I won't be able to park the car unless public parking space is in the same zone for which i have the macaron, righr? 

4) How much time will it require for me to get residence and macaron for my car?

Do you have any advice? 

Thanks a lot

Gianluca GMay 22, 2017 @ 21:16
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

6 Replies | 1304 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Moving to Geneve
Post 1

Nobody shared a similar experience?:(

Nobody shared a similar experience?:(

Gianluca G, May 23, 2017 @ 17:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

For parking in Eaux Vives, your best bet is actually to try and rent a garage space from the GIM (gereance immobilier municipale). The parking authorities that manage the street parking oversell the macron, so there are 50% more cars than parking spaces. 

http://www.ville-geneve.ch/themes/mobilite-transport/voitures-motos/stationnement-parking/places-parking/

Because there were spaces available in the parking at Ecole Vollandes, I put in my application at the start of April and had a space for May 1st (this was four years ago, though...).

Good luck!

For parking in Eaux Vives, your best bet is actually to try and rent a garage space from the GIM (gereance immobilier municipale). The parking authorities that manage the street parking oversell the macron, so there are 50% more cars than parking spaces. 

http://www.ville-geneve.ch/themes/mobilite-transport/voitures-motos/stationnement-parking/places-parking/

Because there were spaces available in the parking at Ecole Vollandes, I put in my application at the start of April and had a space for May 1st (this was four years ago, though...).

Good luck!

misskate, May 29, 2017 @ 10:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I think you can survive without a car in Geneva. Car rental for those occasional days away or mobility car rental for a couple of hours work. I do have a car, but its more for comfort than practical reasons,

I think you can survive without a car in Geneva. Car rental for those occasional days away or mobility car rental for a couple of hours work. I do have a car, but its more for comfort than practical reasons,

sammy Sam, May 29, 2017 @ 18:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Tomorrow i'll come to Geneve by train, leaving my car in Italy. 

Anyway I would really like to keep my car due to the fact that I'll come back to Italy often and I can't use public transports for time issues. 

Thanks for the info

1) in order to apply to the Ville de Geneve do i need my car to already have a swiss plaque? I have currently an Italian one.

2) Where i can find the number of available spaces for a specific parking? I assume a list will be provided by VG, right? 

Anyway I would really like to keep my car due to the fact that I'll come back to Italy often and I can't use public transports for time issues. 

Thanks for the info

1) in order to apply to the Ville de Geneve do i need my car to already have a swiss plaque? I have currently an Italian one.

2) Where i can find the number of available spaces for a specific parking? I assume a list will be provided by VG, right? 

Gianluca G, May 30, 2017 @ 11:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I don't know if you *have* to have Swiss plates, but it will cost you to have the new sign for your parking place made if you change your plates from the plates you applied with. (Each parking space in the garage is reserved for each tenant with an id plate with the license plate number of the car on it.)

You won't know how many spaces are available at a particular parking location. Just make sure you have the correct street address for your flat on the application and they will look for something as close to there as possible. 

I don't know if you *have* to have Swiss plates, but it will cost you to have the new sign for your parking place made if you change your plates from the plates you applied with. (Each parking space in the garage is reserved for each tenant with an id plate with the license plate number of the car on it.)

You won't know how many spaces are available at a particular parking location. Just make sure you have the correct street address for your flat on the application and they will look for something as close to there as possible. 

misskate, May 31, 2017 @ 13:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thanks for the info

May 30, 17 11:25

re 2), you’re more likely to find a waiting-list for a spot than a list of available spaces.

re 2), you’re more likely to find a waiting-list for a spot than a list of available spaces.

Ritchie, May 31, 2017 @ 14:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
6 Replies | 1304 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form