Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Need a "certified" French to English translation of a French police certificate

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Need a "certified" French to English translation of a French police certificate

Hi all,

I have a French police certificate (in French) which I need translated for US visa purposes.

It has to be a "certified" translation, and I have no idea what that means to the US government or what it entails. The visa instructions say this:

"All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations and submitted to the NVC. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that the: Translation is accurate, and Translator is competent to translate."

The official translators for Geneva (http://www.ge.ch/traducteurs/procedure.asp) are hella expensive - minimum 85 chf. I wonder if this is for really special UN stuff, and mine isn't all that important, so I'm looking for other options. 

Does anyone know of any "certified" translators of French -> English?

Thanks,

Alilson

The text you are quoting:

Hi all,

I have a French police certificate (in French) which I need translated for US visa purposes.

It has to be a "certified" translation, and I have no idea what that means to the US government or what it entails. The visa instructions say this:

"All documents not written in English, or in the official language of the country in which application for a visa is being made, must be accompanied by certified translations and submitted to the NVC. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that the: Translation is accurate, and Translator is competent to translate."

The official translators for Geneva (http://www.ge.ch/traducteurs/procedure.asp) are hella expensive - minimum 85 chf. I wonder if this is for really special UN stuff, and mine isn't all that important, so I'm looking for other options. 

Does anyone know of any "certified" translators of French -> English?

Thanks,

Alilson

Alison MNov 11, 2014 @ 17:03
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 2180 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Need a "certified" French to English translation of a French police certificate
Post 1

Go to your local “Mairie” and they will give you the name(s) of any certified translator(s) living in your commune or close by.  There is an official tariff for this work so there is no need to look around to compare prices.

Best wishes, R.

Go to your local “Mairie” and they will give you the name(s) of any certified translator(s) living in your commune or close by.  There is an official tariff for this work so there is no need to look around to compare prices.

Best wishes, R.

Ritchie, Nov 11, 2014 @ 19:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Need a "certified" French to English translation of a French police certificate
Post 2

Hi Ritchie, thanks a lot. I went to my Mairie in Prevessin and they gave me a list of approved translators, who all ask for a much more reasonable price (~25-30 euros).

Thanks a lot!

Hi Ritchie, thanks a lot. I went to my Mairie in Prevessin and they gave me a list of approved translators, who all ask for a much more reasonable price (~25-30 euros).

Thanks a lot!

Alison M, Nov 17, 2014 @ 16:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Glad to read that you have found a good solution.

And I would say that the tariff difference between FR and CH is about right.  It’s just that everything is more costly in CH.

Glad to read that you have found a good solution.

And I would say that the tariff difference between FR and CH is about right.  It’s just that everything is more costly in CH.

Ritchie, Nov 18, 2014 @ 18:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Hi, i have used the services of the following certified translator when my daughter applied to American universities (certified translation of school transcripts). Very efficient service by email and postmail.
Roland Rigobert 
Traducteur assermenté près la Cour d'appel 
04 50 92 04 82 / 06 09 46 56 99
[email protected]
Best
G.

Hi, i have used the services of the following certified translator when my daughter applied to American universities (certified translation of school transcripts). Very efficient service by email and postmail.
Roland Rigobert 
Traducteur assermenté près la Cour d'appel 
04 50 92 04 82 / 06 09 46 56 99
[email protected]
Best
G.
Ginette A, Nov 18, 2014 @ 22:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 2180 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form