Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Noise complaint - how to?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Noise complaint - how to?

Hi, 

I am living in Geneva on the second floor of a building with nightclub on the ground floor. They play really loud music from 11pm to 5am, just as loud as I would play background music in my flat. I can hear not only the bass but also the vocals etc. 

Needless to say that when 11pm-5am are you bed time hours, it doesn't help to have a good night sleep and be rested for the next working day.

Are there any ideas what I could do about it? Would it be a good idea to write a letter to the regie to complain about the increased noise level? 

I don't really want to call the police as it seems a bit dramatic, also my French is not that brilliant.

Thanks for any kind of help!

The text you are quoting:

Hi, 

I am living in Geneva on the second floor of a building with nightclub on the ground floor. They play really loud music from 11pm to 5am, just as loud as I would play background music in my flat. I can hear not only the bass but also the vocals etc. 

Needless to say that when 11pm-5am are you bed time hours, it doesn't help to have a good night sleep and be rested for the next working day.

Are there any ideas what I could do about it? Would it be a good idea to write a letter to the regie to complain about the increased noise level? 

I don't really want to call the police as it seems a bit dramatic, also my French is not that brilliant.

Thanks for any kind of help!

Cati BDec 15, 2009 @ 23:56
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

12 Replies | 5680 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Noise complaint - how to?
Post 1

if there is a night club on the ground floor and you moved in, there is nothing you can do, apart from move out. or sleep during the day and take a night shift job.

if there is a night club on the ground floor and you moved in, there is nothing you can do, apart from move out. or sleep during the day and take a night shift job.

epicure, Dec 16, 2009 @ 02:48
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi,

If I were you I would contact the local police to check what are your and their rights, depending on the type of licences the club has.

Have you asked your neighbours if something has already been done previously about that?

Hi,

If I were you I would contact the local police to check what are your and their rights, depending on the type of licences the club has.

Have you asked your neighbours if something has already been done previously about that?

Alexandra C, Dec 16, 2009 @ 12:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi all, 

Thanks for your replies! 

The night club (which is more like a brothel) was there before I moved in, however the music didn't use to be that loud. That changed in the last few month. 

Hi all, 

Thanks for your replies! 

The night club (which is more like a brothel) was there before I moved in, however the music didn't use to be that loud. That changed in the last few month. 

Cati B, Dec 16, 2009 @ 13:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Personally I wouldn't have moved into the same building as a night club, If it's a night club it can be open until 5am, although if they are in a residential area they must keep the noise levels to a certain decible, if it's been louder then usual, then they have obviously exceeded that level, or the noise insulation in place needs to be fixed. Conact the police who will then monitor the sound levels in the building and the club and get them to turn the volume down.

Personally I wouldn't have moved into the same building as a night club, If it's a night club it can be open until 5am, although if they are in a residential area they must keep the noise levels to a certain decible, if it's been louder then usual, then they have obviously exceeded that level, or the noise insulation in place needs to be fixed. Conact the police who will then monitor the sound levels in the building and the club and get them to turn the volume down.

DJ_Symcard, Dec 18, 2009 @ 02:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Bernicat,

Profit the opportunity: instaed of wasting the night sleeping, PAAAAARTY all night long, without having anyone calling the police at 10.00 p.m.!

What time are we coming? Do you prefer us to bring red wine or champagne?

Bernicat,

Profit the opportunity: instaed of wasting the night sleeping, PAAAAARTY all night long, without having anyone calling the police at 10.00 p.m.!

What time are we coming? Do you prefer us to bring red wine or champagne?

Stef__Granny, Dec 18, 2009 @ 12:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Hi,

Dec 16, 09 12:54

The local police is mission impossible 2 reach and if u break that barrier they will simply say : madame, we dont have time 2 waste on such petty issues and go contact your own regie!! u would be lucky to even see the police come over even when a mad man or woman is slaughtering everyone in your building!!! and im not kiddin...

As other people have stated: if the night club or whatever that was there before u moved in then nothin can be done IF U R ALONE...so what i suggest is to show solidarity with you other neighbours (mission impossible in geneva) and only collectively can u go barking at the regies door demanding for some sort of appropriate action.

Cheers

The local police is mission impossible 2 reach and if u break that barrier they will simply say : madame, we dont have time 2 waste on such petty issues and go contact your own regie!! u would be lucky to even see the police come over even when a mad man or woman is slaughtering everyone in your building!!! and im not kiddin...

As other people have stated: if the night club or whatever that was there before u moved in then nothin can be done IF U R ALONE...so what i suggest is to show solidarity with you other neighbours (mission impossible in geneva) and only collectively can u go barking at the regies door demanding for some sort of appropriate action.

Cheers

TonyMontana, Dec 18, 2009 @ 17:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if there's a possibility to access the Swiss noise regulations in English? I want to review the actual code.

A new bar moved directly under my flat a few months ago.  There was no bar when I initially moved in.  Generally,  I'm an open, flexible person with noise, traffic, etc. but banging on the tables, the ceiling, yelling at all hours, smashing things outside and throwing "after hours" in the cave until 4 or 5am on Monday mornings is quite unacceptable.  My neighbors have been harassed by the clientele upon entering and exiting the building. 

The police have been called numerous times by persons living in all the surrounding buildings but they have yet to react in any manner.

I have approached the owners on different occasions and I do call the bar when it is exceptionally loud to ask them to quiet down.  But it's really affecting my "quiet enjoyment".  Further, I sublet at this time and would rather not drag the regie into it. 

The only way I can describe this place and its clientele is with the new term "uncitizenship-like" behavior.  Hopefully, I'll be leaving soon but I'd rather not leave the next tenant to the same untenable situation. 

So, any information on the Swiss regs (in English if possible) would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if there's a possibility to access the Swiss noise regulations in English? I want to review the actual code.

A new bar moved directly under my flat a few months ago.  There was no bar when I initially moved in.  Generally,  I'm an open, flexible person with noise, traffic, etc. but banging on the tables, the ceiling, yelling at all hours, smashing things outside and throwing "after hours" in the cave until 4 or 5am on Monday mornings is quite unacceptable.  My neighbors have been harassed by the clientele upon entering and exiting the building. 

The police have been called numerous times by persons living in all the surrounding buildings but they have yet to react in any manner.

I have approached the owners on different occasions and I do call the bar when it is exceptionally loud to ask them to quiet down.  But it's really affecting my "quiet enjoyment".  Further, I sublet at this time and would rather not drag the regie into it. 

The only way I can describe this place and its clientele is with the new term "uncitizenship-like" behavior.  Hopefully, I'll be leaving soon but I'd rather not leave the next tenant to the same untenable situation. 

So, any information on the Swiss regs (in English if possible) would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

AmandaG, Dec 13, 2010 @ 14:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Here you will find relevant information in several languages incl. English

http://etat.geneve.ch/dt/bruit-rayons/a_votre_service-acces_aux_publications_concernant_bruit_rayonnements_non_ionisants-7178.html

Here you will find relevant information in several languages incl. English

http://etat.geneve.ch/dt/bruit-rayons/a_votre_service-acces_aux_publications_concernant_bruit_rayonnements_non_ionisants-7178.html

slyshu, Dec 13, 2010 @ 15:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi

we live close to the "Oxygen club" in Plainpalais. When the club closes at 4am there are people screaming, fighting etc in the streets until 5am. It happens a few times that there was blood and unconscious people on the pavement. The customers are nasty and uneducated, screaming at u when u ask them kindly to be more quiet (as u have a 10 month bay sleeping...).

I wrote a letter to the gendarmerie de Plainpalais in spring, then contacted them again this month, but they said that they are too busy to deal with my problem.

I am outraged but can not do anything more than call the gendarmerie when the situation gets really nasty..

I can't believe that we pay taxes.... and that the police doesn't do anything (3 nights a week...)...

Karo

Hi

we live close to the "Oxygen club" in Plainpalais. When the club closes at 4am there are people screaming, fighting etc in the streets until 5am. It happens a few times that there was blood and unconscious people on the pavement. The customers are nasty and uneducated, screaming at u when u ask them kindly to be more quiet (as u have a 10 month bay sleeping...).

I wrote a letter to the gendarmerie de Plainpalais in spring, then contacted them again this month, but they said that they are too busy to deal with my problem.

I am outraged but can not do anything more than call the gendarmerie when the situation gets really nasty..

I can't believe that we pay taxes.... and that the police doesn't do anything (3 nights a week...)...

Karo

KARO76, Dec 14, 2010 @ 22:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Sorry to dig up an old thread - but this is one of the top hit's in google for "noise complaint geneva" so I thought I'd add my experiences from last night in the hope it might be useful for others.  

I relocated to Geneva recently and am currently in some temporary accommodation whilst I find somewhere permanent to live.  The neighbours downstairs have been very noisy at times with their music since I moved in.  The music can be day or night, and sometimes both.  It's annoying during the day if you're trying to read, but I can live with it.  By the time 2AM comes around on the 5th party of the month however, I am feeling somewhat less forgiving.  

The first few parties I let go by (we were all young once), but last night was the straw that broke the camel's back.  All day yesterday was loud music, and then when we got back from a lovely meal out to relax (at about 23:00) - I saw that their lights were out and thankfully it was nice and peaceful.  15 minutes later they arrived home and it started up again.  After 12 I started banging on the floor at quiet interludes in the music to register my distaste, there was no change (I was banging quite fiercly after the first few attempts - they would have heard it).  

After previously reading posts indicating that the police would not be interested, I had been reluctant to call them, but by 2AM I didn't have many options (it was either that or me heading downstairs, which I did not think wise based on how fuming I was!).  I called the police up, and with a bit of help from google translate managed to register a complaint.  Within about 10 minutes, two friendly officers arrived and I went down to chat to them.  They told me to call back if it persists, and that every time they come out, the fine will escalate - so they should learn their lesson soon enough.  

I have to say my first experience with the Geneva Police has been a very positive one.  I cannot speak highly enough of the officers that came out to the flat - they were incredibly friendly and understanding of the situation. 

Hopefully this is useful to others in a similar situation.

Cheers

Sorry to dig up an old thread - but this is one of the top hit's in google for "noise complaint geneva" so I thought I'd add my experiences from last night in the hope it might be useful for others.  

I relocated to Geneva recently and am currently in some temporary accommodation whilst I find somewhere permanent to live.  The neighbours downstairs have been very noisy at times with their music since I moved in.  The music can be day or night, and sometimes both.  It's annoying during the day if you're trying to read, but I can live with it.  By the time 2AM comes around on the 5th party of the month however, I am feeling somewhat less forgiving.  

The first few parties I let go by (we were all young once), but last night was the straw that broke the camel's back.  All day yesterday was loud music, and then when we got back from a lovely meal out to relax (at about 23:00) - I saw that their lights were out and thankfully it was nice and peaceful.  15 minutes later they arrived home and it started up again.  After 12 I started banging on the floor at quiet interludes in the music to register my distaste, there was no change (I was banging quite fiercly after the first few attempts - they would have heard it).  

After previously reading posts indicating that the police would not be interested, I had been reluctant to call them, but by 2AM I didn't have many options (it was either that or me heading downstairs, which I did not think wise based on how fuming I was!).  I called the police up, and with a bit of help from google translate managed to register a complaint.  Within about 10 minutes, two friendly officers arrived and I went down to chat to them.  They told me to call back if it persists, and that every time they come out, the fine will escalate - so they should learn their lesson soon enough.  

I have to say my first experience with the Geneva Police has been a very positive one.  I cannot speak highly enough of the officers that came out to the flat - they were incredibly friendly and understanding of the situation. 

Hopefully this is useful to others in a similar situation.

Cheers

Graeme Smith, May 5, 2013 @ 12:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

I recently moved into a bigger apartment in the same building. Since we moved, I haven't had a decent night's sleep. After having done tons of research I am beginning to realize that the noise is coming from the electrical closet on the floor above me. It is a constant oscillating hum, it is much more noticable during the night. I can feel the vibration coming through the celing and walls. It is really starting to drive me nuts! I haven't opened the door to the closet, but I'm going to find it pretty safe to assume that what I'm experiencing is magnetostriticion from the transformer in the closet.

The regie has been away for a few weeks, so I am planning on seeing him Monday morning. Does anyobody have any advice? What are my rights??? It is clearly impariaing my quality of life, I can not sleep due the the low frequency hum that never stops. 

I have a feeling that the regie is going to look at me like I'm nuts and try to blow me off. I need to do something, I'm not sleeping due to this constant electrical hum!

I recently moved into a bigger apartment in the same building. Since we moved, I haven't had a decent night's sleep. After having done tons of research I am beginning to realize that the noise is coming from the electrical closet on the floor above me. It is a constant oscillating hum, it is much more noticable during the night. I can feel the vibration coming through the celing and walls. It is really starting to drive me nuts! I haven't opened the door to the closet, but I'm going to find it pretty safe to assume that what I'm experiencing is magnetostriticion from the transformer in the closet.

The regie has been away for a few weeks, so I am planning on seeing him Monday morning. Does anyobody have any advice? What are my rights??? It is clearly impariaing my quality of life, I can not sleep due the the low frequency hum that never stops. 

I have a feeling that the regie is going to look at me like I'm nuts and try to blow me off. I need to do something, I'm not sleeping due to this constant electrical hum!

Sherri F, Oct 19, 2014 @ 01:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

If you don't mind having a PC or laptop near where you sleep you can try this:

www.rainymood.com

It plays the sound of heavy rain and covers up background noises.

Andy

If you don't mind having a PC or laptop near where you sleep you can try this:

www.rainymood.com

It plays the sound of heavy rain and covers up background noises.

Andy

Andy C, Oct 19, 2014 @ 11:00
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
12 Replies | 5680 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form