Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Papers Required for Apartment Rentals - What do I need 2 Provide???

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Papers Required for Apartment Rentals - What do I need 2 Provide???
Could someone PLEASE advise me on which/all papers that are needed when applying for apartments.

I'll make a wild guess and say Swiss permit, working contact....whatelse would one require to move things along smoothly?

Thanks

The text you are quoting:
Could someone PLEASE advise me on which/all papers that are needed when applying for apartments.

I'll make a wild guess and say Swiss permit, working contact....whatelse would one require to move things along smoothly?

Thanks
TammyshankerApr 22, 2008 @ 15:53

Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

16 Replies | 7479 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Papers Required for Apartment Rentals - What do I need 2 Provide???
Post 1
Hi Tammy,

I recall that I had to provide, in addition to the items you mention, a cerftificate/letter from my employers stating my salary.

They just want to know that you can afford it and that you are working.

Bon chance,

James

Hi Tammy,

I recall that I had to provide, in addition to the items you mention, a cerftificate/letter from my employers stating my salary.

They just want to know that you can afford it and that you are working.

Bon chance,

James
Randonneur, Apr 22, 2008 @ 16:03

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
[quote]Could someone PLEASE advise me on which/all papers that are needed when applying for apartments.

I'll make a wild guess and say Swiss permit, working contact....whatelse would one require to move things along smoothly? [/quote]

Hey Tammyshanker. Not bad guesswork.

We were required, in the strictest case, to submit the following:

1. Copy of residency permit

2. Copy of work contract

3. Previous 3 months pay slips

4. A copy of your Attestation de non-poursuite. See here. The Office des poursuites is on Rue du Stand. It'll cost you 17 CHF.

PER ADULT.

Not all regies required the 3 months pay business the other 3 items seem to be the standard. Since one did require these and we had made copies, we bunged them in each application anyway.

I also got a letter of reference from my employer. Just to say Hayes is reliable, Hayes is reputable, Hayes doesn't party or break stuff, blah blah blah. LOL. Of course we don't know whether that helped or not but at least in two cases it didn't seem to hurt.

Also. I recommend neat handwriting on your application forms. I recommend thinking of a good reason for why you want to live in a specific apartment -- most forms seem to have an entry for motivation. I recommend having job(s) that sounds secure and well-paid and responsible. I recommend having names that don't sound too forrin. My wife heard a radio show where they said APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE REGIE, not through the current tenant -- only 1 in 50 get apartments doing that! I recommend luck. I recommend waking up saying 'today is going to be the one'.

Good luck!
[quote]Could someone PLEASE advise me on which/all papers that are needed when applying for apartments.

I'll make a wild guess and say Swiss permit, working contact....whatelse would one require to move things along smoothly? [/quote]

Hey Tammyshanker. Not bad guesswork.

We were required, in the strictest case, to submit the following:

1. Copy of residency permit

2. Copy of work contract

3. Previous 3 months pay slips

4. A copy of your Attestation de non-poursuite. See here. The Office des poursuites is on Rue du Stand. It'll cost you 17 CHF.

PER ADULT.

Not all regies required the 3 months pay business the other 3 items seem to be the standard. Since one did require these and we had made copies, we bunged them in each application anyway.

I also got a letter of reference from my employer. Just to say Hayes is reliable, Hayes is reputable, Hayes doesn't party or break stuff, blah blah blah. LOL. Of course we don't know whether that helped or not but at least in two cases it didn't seem to hurt.

Also. I recommend neat handwriting on your application forms. I recommend thinking of a good reason for why you want to live in a specific apartment -- most forms seem to have an entry for motivation. I recommend having job(s) that sounds secure and well-paid and responsible. I recommend having names that don't sound too forrin. My wife heard a radio show where they said APPLY DIRECTLY TO THE REGIE, not through the current tenant -- only 1 in 50 get apartments doing that! I recommend luck. I recommend waking up saying 'today is going to be the one'.

Good luck!
hayes, Apr 22, 2008 @ 16:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Randonneur - Might have slipped into the 'wrong' post but worth me knowing so thanks for the useful "mistake"!

Hayes - You made some interesting points i.e. apply directly through the regies!! Noted!!

I cant really do the 3 payslip thing as I have only just moved to Nyon (well trying my hardest) and have numerous reasons as to why I WANT/NEED this apartment NOW!! :D

However, maybe throwing in the fact that I am eligible for a C permit sometime soon should help then - I shall ensure that I throw that in as well!

And, YES I agree....PMA (positive mental attitude!) I really really do think this is THE ONE I want and am viewing tonight! Wish me luck all....

Much appreciated,

Randonneur - Might have slipped into the 'wrong' post but worth me knowing so thanks for the useful "mistake"!

Hayes - You made some interesting points i.e. apply directly through the regies!! Noted!!

I cant really do the 3 payslip thing as I have only just moved to Nyon (well trying my hardest) and have numerous reasons as to why I WANT/NEED this apartment NOW!! :D

However, maybe throwing in the fact that I am eligible for a C permit sometime soon should help then - I shall ensure that I throw that in as well!

And, YES I agree....PMA (positive mental attitude!) I really really do think this is THE ONE I want and am viewing tonight! Wish me luck all....

Much appreciated,
Tammyshanker, Apr 22, 2008 @ 17:06

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Hi everybody,

I would like to know: could a French who works in Switzerland with a permit frontalier apply for renting an apartment or a studio in Switzerland? What are the ways for a foreigner to search for accomodation in Switzerland? We have been trying so hard but always got negative answers. Now my boyfriend has to leave his studio today and yet no where to go :(( He might not be able to go to work if he finds no way out.

Can someone please tell me what we can do to find an accomodation in Geneva, Lausanne, Vevey?

Thanks a lot!!

Nathalie

Hi everybody,

I would like to know: could a French who works in Switzerland with a permit frontalier apply for renting an apartment or a studio in Switzerland? What are the ways for a foreigner to search for accomodation in Switzerland? We have been trying so hard but always got negative answers. Now my boyfriend has to leave his studio today and yet no where to go :(( He might not be able to go to work if he finds no way out.

Can someone please tell me what we can do to find an accomodation in Geneva, Lausanne, Vevey?

Thanks a lot!!

Nathalie
vioccf, Jun 10, 2008 @ 17:51

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
[quote]I can see no reason why he cannot apply for living accomodation in switzerland - though

he would then have to become a resident, hv swiss health insurance etc., change his

driving licence to a swiss one - change his car to swiss plates, quite a lot of hassle !

If you are really desperate - can offer a room for a few weeks - in France - 200m from

Genevaborder - so you hv time to sort yourselves out ![/quote]

Thanks Isa! THat's very helpful of you. He is going to take up a job in Vevey, and it might be far to go to work, or perhaps there is a French border near Vevey? Well, if we really can't find something, I will certainly need your offer.

Well he does have swiss health insurance, but he doesn't neither have a car nor a swiss resident permit. How do the foreigners who are not swiss residents find an accomodation? Arrangement by their companies?

Thanks again!
[quote]I can see no reason why he cannot apply for living accomodation in switzerland - though

he would then have to become a resident, hv swiss health insurance etc., change his

driving licence to a swiss one - change his car to swiss plates, quite a lot of hassle !

If you are really desperate - can offer a room for a few weeks - in France - 200m from

Genevaborder - so you hv time to sort yourselves out ![/quote]

Thanks Isa! THat's very helpful of you. He is going to take up a job in Vevey, and it might be far to go to work, or perhaps there is a French border near Vevey? Well, if we really can't find something, I will certainly need your offer.

Well he does have swiss health insurance, but he doesn't neither have a car nor a swiss resident permit. How do the foreigners who are not swiss residents find an accomodation? Arrangement by their companies?

Thanks again!

vioccf, Jun 10, 2008 @ 20:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
I have found some regies also require a letter of recomendation! We really wanted to apply to a place and had to scramble to get that one in to the regie. Otherwise, they were not going to accept the application.
I have found some regies also require a letter of recomendation! We really wanted to apply to a place and had to scramble to get that one in to the regie. Otherwise, they were not going to accept the application.
sloducky, Nov 25, 2008 @ 10:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
One more useful thing - links to a lot of the regies in Geneva. Some websites have the applications forms to download so you can fill out before viewing then head directly to the regie afterwards.

http://www.cagi.ch/en/logement_recherche.htm
One more useful thing - links to a lot of the regies in Geneva. Some websites have the applications forms to download so you can fill out before viewing then head directly to the regie afterwards.

http://www.cagi.ch/en/logement_recherche.htm

sloducky, Nov 25, 2008 @ 10:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
You need to following:

1. Copy of identity papers (foreign passport and residence permit, or Swiss passport or Swiss ID card)

2. Copy of salary slips. Most régies will want the last 3 months, some only one , some 6.

3. "Attestation de non-poursuite". This is an official document that certifies that you do not have any debts pending against you. You obtain it (at a *small* price) from the Office des Poursuites - in Geneva there is one cantonal office, in Vaud there is one per taxation district.

You need one set of these documents for each person who will sign the rental contract. For example, if you have a partner or husband who will co-sign with you, then you need one set of documents for each of you. Even if you don't co-sign, the régie will want to know the joint household income using salary slips.

4. Registration form for the apartment. You get this from the régie - most have pdf formats on their websites which you can download.

Occasionally, a régie will ask for additional documents. We had to provide recommendation letters from our employers in one case. Normally these will be listed on the registration form.

My advice: have several copies of all of the above handy and ready to be submitted as soon as you see a suitable apartment. This will save you time and allow you to apply for the apartment quickly, possibly before all the other visitors do.

Note: the "attestation de non-poursuite" is dated. Some régies will want one that is no more than 3 or 6 months old, so be sure to get new ones regularly.

Final note... In different cantons there are some variations. In Zurich for example it is common to have to provide contact details for referees - and flat owners actually do contact them to ask what kind of a person you are. It is also possible there to add a cover letter pleading your case and persuading the owner why you're the best candidate - this is not common in Geneva. Always check with the régie what paperwork they need. An incomplete file immediately goes to the bottom of the pile and will not be treated.

Good luck.

Michal

Thanks[/quote]
You need to following:

1. Copy of identity papers (foreign passport and residence permit, or Swiss passport or Swiss ID card)

2. Copy of salary slips. Most régies will want the last 3 months, some only one , some 6.

3. "Attestation de non-poursuite". This is an official document that certifies that you do not have any debts pending against you. You obtain it (at a *small* price) from the Office des Poursuites - in Geneva there is one cantonal office, in Vaud there is one per taxation district.

You need one set of these documents for each person who will sign the rental contract. For example, if you have a partner or husband who will co-sign with you, then you need one set of documents for each of you. Even if you don't co-sign, the régie will want to know the joint household income using salary slips.

4. Registration form for the apartment. You get this from the régie - most have pdf formats on their websites which you can download.

Occasionally, a régie will ask for additional documents. We had to provide recommendation letters from our employers in one case. Normally these will be listed on the registration form.

My advice: have several copies of all of the above handy and ready to be submitted as soon as you see a suitable apartment. This will save you time and allow you to apply for the apartment quickly, possibly before all the other visitors do.

Note: the "attestation de non-poursuite" is dated. Some régies will want one that is no more than 3 or 6 months old, so be sure to get new ones regularly.

Final note... In different cantons there are some variations. In Zurich for example it is common to have to provide contact details for referees - and flat owners actually do contact them to ask what kind of a person you are. It is also possible there to add a cover letter pleading your case and persuading the owner why you're the best candidate - this is not common in Geneva. Always check with the régie what paperwork they need. An incomplete file immediately goes to the bottom of the pile and will not be treated.

Good luck.

Michal

Thanks[/quote]
sela_michal, Dec 15, 2008 @ 12:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Any additional information for a student searching for housing? I will be on a full scholarship that provides money for rent, but still I cannot assure that I will have any paystubs...Would a lettre d'attestation from the Uni stating the terms of the scholarship be enough? Does anyone know?

Any additional information for a student searching for housing? I will be on a full scholarship that provides money for rent, but still I cannot assure that I will have any paystubs...Would a lettre d'attestation from the Uni stating the terms of the scholarship be enough? Does anyone know?
Sandra16, Apr 19, 2009 @ 15:44

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10
Hi Sandra,

Webster University just opened a beautiful new residence downtown (Geneva) in a very central location. There might be rooms available to non-Webster students. Contact Angela Murphy, [email protected], 022 959 8003. Procedures would probably simpler than renting directly from a régie. Good luck!

Michal

[quote]

Any additional information for a student searching for housing? I will be on a full scholarship that provides money for rent, but still I cannot assure that I will have any paystubs...Would a lettre d'attestation from the Uni stating the terms of the scholarship be enough? Does anyone know?[/quote]
Hi Sandra,

Webster University just opened a beautiful new residence downtown (Geneva) in a very central location. There might be rooms available to non-Webster students. Contact Angela Murphy, [email protected], 022 959 8003. Procedures would probably simpler than renting directly from a régie. Good luck!

Michal

[quote]

Any additional information for a student searching for housing? I will be on a full scholarship that provides money for rent, but still I cannot assure that I will have any paystubs...Would a lettre d'attestation from the Uni stating the terms of the scholarship be enough? Does anyone know?[/quote]
sela_michal, Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
I have been here 20 years and it all depends on who is renting out the apartment! At present I have a 200m2 3 bed 2 bath maisonette that I didn't even have to put a deposit down on let alone provide papers, its all a matter of luck!!!!
I have been here 20 years and it all depends on who is renting out the apartment! At present I have a 200m2 3 bed 2 bath maisonette that I didn't even have to put a deposit down on let alone provide papers, its all a matter of luck!!!!
swissbrit, Jul 29, 2009 @ 17:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
16 Replies | 7479 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form