Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Patient person needed to recommend a new laptop

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Patient person needed to recommend a new laptop

Does anyone have the patience and knowledge (without the personal agenda/ affiliation to a particular brand) to help a technofool decide which laptop to buy? 

I'd like to get one while the sales are on.  I've looked at about 30 in the past 2 days but there's so much choice I still don't know what to go for or where to buy (balancing price and after sales service).  Have looked at Steg, Manor, Interdiscount, Migros, Fust, and Fnac, so it's probably not so much a matter of where, but what. Doh!

Thanks

Viv

The text you are quoting:

Does anyone have the patience and knowledge (without the personal agenda/ affiliation to a particular brand) to help a technofool decide which laptop to buy? 

I'd like to get one while the sales are on.  I've looked at about 30 in the past 2 days but there's so much choice I still don't know what to go for or where to buy (balancing price and after sales service).  Have looked at Steg, Manor, Interdiscount, Migros, Fust, and Fnac, so it's probably not so much a matter of where, but what. Doh!

Thanks

Viv

vivsDec 30, 2010 @ 21:34
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 828 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Patient person needed to recommend a new laptop
Post 1

Write down your requirements and go with them to the store. Vendors will help you. Get the cheapest one that does the job provided that it's not hideous. Brands are irrelevant. There.

Write down your requirements and go with them to the store. Vendors will help you. Get the cheapest one that does the job provided that it's not hideous. Brands are irrelevant. There.

catalin, Dec 30, 2010 @ 22:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

And if you really insist on making a bigger deal than it needs to be out of it go here:

http://www.glocals.com/#/things-to-do/events_view/geneva/32319.htm

He's your man.

And if you really insist on making a bigger deal than it needs to be out of it go here:

http://www.glocals.com/#/things-to-do/events_view/geneva/32319.htm

He's your man.

catalin, Dec 30, 2010 @ 22:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

mediamarket has more options. i just bought a mac air today

sylvia y, Dec 30, 2010 @ 23:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Dec 30, 10 23:07

Maybe; however if you have a problem, they are not very helpful.

Casuistik, Dec 31, 2010 @ 01:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Dec 31, 10 01:56

I tend to agree. They wouldn't replace a defective 3-week old modem; they sent it off for repair then 2 weeks later informed me it couldn't be fixed and gave me a voucher.

I tend to agree. They wouldn't replace a defective 3-week old modem; they sent it off for repair then 2 weeks later informed me it couldn't be fixed and gave me a voucher.

vivs, Dec 31, 2010 @ 10:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thanks

Viv

Dec 30, 10 21:34

I would suggest to buy an Apple Macbook. Its a much better machine and usually you don't get targetted for so many viruses/spyware. There is an initial learning curve, but its pretty fun to learn it and you can get all the useful software for it Microsoft office etc etc.

I have used a WindowZs PC for more than 10 years and after switching to Apple Macbook, I am just so glad that i made that switch :)

There is a Apple store on Rue du Rive, and another one next to Manor :)

Good luck :))

I would suggest to buy an Apple Macbook. Its a much better machine and usually you don't get targetted for so many viruses/spyware. There is an initial learning curve, but its pretty fun to learn it and you can get all the useful software for it Microsoft office etc etc.

I have used a WindowZs PC for more than 10 years and after switching to Apple Macbook, I am just so glad that i made that switch :)

There is a Apple store on Rue du Rive, and another one next to Manor :)

Good luck :))

hyeomer, Dec 31, 2010 @ 19:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Sorry for the "Apple" users, but all Mac processors are "Intel"..... Most laptops are Intel too..... so not much difference in that department.. You won´t get all the software you want if you get an Apple based system neither.

I quote: "(without the personal agenda/ affiliation to a particular brand)"

There are so many good laptops on the market, my preference is a Toshiba...they´re reliable, fast, hasslefree and last ages! 

My advice is to think what you want to do with it...

Good luck!

Sorry for the "Apple" users, but all Mac processors are "Intel"..... Most laptops are Intel too..... so not much difference in that department.. You won´t get all the software you want if you get an Apple based system neither.

I quote: "(without the personal agenda/ affiliation to a particular brand)"

There are so many good laptops on the market, my preference is a Toshiba...they´re reliable, fast, hasslefree and last ages! 

My advice is to think what you want to do with it...

Good luck!

Bits Bobs, Jan 1, 2011 @ 12:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

@bits bobs It's true that for several years now, both Apple computers and Windows computers have been using Intel processors, but by the same token, that's the *last* thing that's really important for any user. The difference in processors is so esoteric.....

The really important thing is the Operating System and, by extension, how easy it is to accomplish everyday tasks.

Your criteria also apply to Apple computers. Your preference for Toshiba is just personal, just like hyeomer.

Having worked in the IT Support industry for way too long, I can say that my clients who use Windows have *problems* when they call me: "It's running slow," "it crashes frequently," "I have a virus," "I can't set up this new device," and so on. But, when Mac clients call me, they are asking how to do something new, not how to fix something that is broken.

To me, that speaks volumes.

@vivs stop by Starbucks on Tuesday, if you're around and free. We can talk in person, if you like.

@bits bobs It's true that for several years now, both Apple computers and Windows computers have been using Intel processors, but by the same token, that's the *last* thing that's really important for any user. The difference in processors is so esoteric.....

The really important thing is the Operating System and, by extension, how easy it is to accomplish everyday tasks.

Your criteria also apply to Apple computers. Your preference for Toshiba is just personal, just like hyeomer.

Having worked in the IT Support industry for way too long, I can say that my clients who use Windows have *problems* when they call me: "It's running slow," "it crashes frequently," "I have a virus," "I can't set up this new device," and so on. But, when Mac clients call me, they are asking how to do something new, not how to fix something that is broken.

@vivs stop by Starbucks on Tuesday, if you're around and free. We can talk in person, if you like.

Zonker, Jan 1, 2011 @ 13:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

I think people tend to confuse many things. Laptops are just a form of computers; they are two types - Apple and PC. There many different types of processors and vendors, and Intel is one of them. These days both PC's and Apple laptops use intel processors.

Then comes in the operating systems, and most commonly used are Windows (PC's only, Apple laptops) and OS X (Apple laptops) [ofcourse there are many more].

@vivs: My recommendation for Apple Macbook laptop is not just for personal reason but its borne out of experience. I have had PC laptops running windows for more then a decade, and I still use them at my work.

After switching to Macbook laptops (with Intel processor and OS X, although you can run Windows on it too), I found it as much more stable and well-integrated system that provides most of the tools available for your daily computing use. Of

Of course Apple laptops are not but perfect Windows based laptops are far more prone to crashes, virus attacks and so forth. Then it's a personal choice how much time one wants to keep on investing in it.

P.S. I am not a APPLE shop that I only recommend Apple to every one for every thing e.g. when it comes to phones i always suggest either Android or Blackberry's as they are much more open systems then Apple's iPhone. But for laptops, Apple laptops are very good machines.

I think people tend to confuse many things. Laptops are just a form of computers; they are two types - Apple and PC. There many different types of processors and vendors, and Intel is one of them. These days both PC's and Apple laptops use intel processors.

Then comes in the operating systems, and most commonly used are Windows (PC's only, Apple laptops) and OS X (Apple laptops) [ofcourse there are many more].

@vivs: My recommendation for Apple Macbook laptop is not just for personal reason but its borne out of experience. I have had PC laptops running windows for more then a decade, and I still use them at my work.

After switching to Macbook laptops (with Intel processor and OS X, although you can run Windows on it too), I found it as much more stable and well-integrated system that provides most of the tools available for your daily computing use. Of

Of course Apple laptops are not but perfect Windows based laptops are far more prone to crashes, virus attacks and so forth. Then it's a personal choice how much time one wants to keep on investing in it.

P.S. I am not a APPLE shop that I only recommend Apple to every one for every thing e.g. when it comes to phones i always suggest either Android or Blackberry's as they are much more open systems then Apple's iPhone. But for laptops, Apple laptops are very good machines.

hyeomer, Jan 1, 2011 @ 14:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Jan 1, 11 13:42

Thanks so much... I really appreciate the various opinions and I hope to get to Starbucks on Tuesday. 

I know some people found my question OTT, but I find it more interesting to seek advice from users/people who know than just listen to a sales pitch or pick the prettiest item on display.

Vivs

Thanks so much... I really appreciate the various opinions and I hope to get to Starbucks on Tuesday. 

I know some people found my question OTT, but I find it more interesting to seek advice from users/people who know than just listen to a sales pitch or pick the prettiest item on display.

Vivs

vivs, Jan 1, 2011 @ 15:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Jan 1, 11 14:31

Thanks v. much for this.

VS

Thanks v. much for this.

VS

vivs, Jan 1, 2011 @ 15:28
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
11 Replies | 828 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form