Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Ph.D. studies in UK or Canada:which is the best destination?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Ph.D. studies in UK or Canada:which is the best destination?
Hi,

I'm wondering which country between Canada and UK is the best to live and study in for a Ph.D. student? from your personal experience, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each of these countries in terms of quality of postgraduate education (and specifically @ the Ph.D. level), cost of living, job opportunities for graduated student & part time jobs, administrative procedures and more...?

Please, let me know as much as you can about these countries.if you have a lot to tell me,I would be pleased to meet you and discuss about your experience:)
The text you are quoting:
Hi,

I'm wondering which country between Canada and UK is the best to live and study in for a Ph.D. student? from your personal experience, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each of these countries in terms of quality of postgraduate education (and specifically @ the Ph.D. level), cost of living, job opportunities for graduated student & part time jobs, administrative procedures and more...?

Please, let me know as much as you can about these countries.if you have a lot to tell me,I would be pleased to meet you and discuss about your experience:)
JustinJun 10, 2009 @ 16:44
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

9 Replies | 880 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Ph.D. studies in UK or Canada:which is the best destination?
Post 1
Both countries will give a wide ranging experience depending on what part of the country you study , for example you can't compare a London University with any other in the UK as costs are so much higher.. Note all tuition in the UK is fixed at one level, although for Welsh & Scottish University special consideration is given to EU residents. In the UK application is by course and you should look at which University offers the PHd study that you require. try the website ucas.ac.uk.
Both countries will give a wide ranging experience depending on what part of the country you study , for example you can't compare a London University with any other in the UK as costs are so much higher.. Note all tuition in the UK is fixed at one level, although for Welsh & Scottish University special consideration is given to EU residents. In the UK application is by course and you should look at which University offers the PHd study that you require. try the website ucas.ac.uk.
britabroad, Jun 10, 2009 @ 17:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
Hi,

Canada's cities vary quite a bit. Which ones were you considering?

I did my MA in Vancouver and was doing my PhD in Ottawa. Could give you info on either if it interests you.

A.
Hi,

Canada's cities vary quite a bit. Which ones were you considering?

I did my MA in Vancouver and was doing my PhD in Ottawa. Could give you info on either if it interests you.

A.
Azure222, Jun 10, 2009 @ 17:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
Thanks for your replies.

I'm interested in a Ph.D. in management. and I checked on the website of Un. of Ottawa, but seems they don't offer a Ph.D. in that field.
Thanks for your replies.

I'm interested in a Ph.D. in management. and I checked on the website of Un. of Ottawa, but seems they don't offer a Ph.D. in that field.
Justin, Jun 10, 2009 @ 23:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
CANADA!!
CANADA!!
cshields, Jun 11, 2009 @ 00:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

:ermm:more than strange position:laugh:

you are really from Ireland,isn't it???:P

:ermm:more than strange position:laugh:

you are really from Ireland,isn't it???:P

Justin, Jun 11, 2009 @ 00:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
Plus... I lived in Canada, which I loved and want to return to! So, that makes me even more biased!! :cool:

I looked at doing Masters in both countries and found good courses in both. Obviously, that is what counts-getting the right course for you!

But for everything else, I would choose Canada in a heartbeat! :D
Plus... I lived in Canada, which I loved and want to return to! So, that makes me even more biased!! :cool:

I looked at doing Masters in both countries and found good courses in both. Obviously, that is what counts-getting the right course for you!

But for everything else, I would choose Canada in a heartbeat! :D
cshields, Jun 11, 2009 @ 01:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

:w00t:Thanks for your comment.it sounds interesting.can you tell me more, please? where did you live in Canada? for how long? what are the few things you liked more?

:w00t:Thanks for your comment.it sounds interesting.can you tell me more, please? where did you live in Canada? for how long? what are the few things you liked more?
Justin, Jun 12, 2009 @ 13:35

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Thanks trytim:),

again, what I'm interested in is a Ph.D. in management.

Thanks trytim:),

again, what I'm interested in is a Ph.D. in management.
Justin, Jun 12, 2009 @ 13:44

Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
9 Replies | 880 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form