Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Poll underlines Geneva as 'capital of boredom'

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Poll underlines Geneva as 'capital of boredom'

http://www.swisster.ch/news/society/poll-underlines-geneva-capital-boredom.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl

"Geneva should accept the idea that you cannot live downtown without noise. Otherwise the city will soon become a geriatric hospital."

Thanks to Nir for pointing out the challenges in the article, and for making Geneva a more lively place!!!

Laughing

The text you are quoting:

http://www.swisster.ch/news/society/poll-underlines-geneva-capital-boredom.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl

"Geneva should accept the idea that you cannot live downtown without noise. Otherwise the city will soon become a geriatric hospital."

Thanks to Nir for pointing out the challenges in the article, and for making Geneva a more lively place!!!

Laughing

Line BNov 9, 2010 @ 14:20
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1377 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Poll underlines Geneva as 'capital of boredom'
Post 1

Laughing

Nov 9, 10 14:20

I only ever found Geneva boring when I travelled here from overseas and didnt know where to go.... now I do, and with the right company, it suits me fine... the bars are open, so just get a crowd together and go... theres nothing boring when youre with friends.

For boring go to Luxembourg.... zzzzzzzzzzzz YAWN!

I only ever found Geneva boring when I travelled here from overseas and didnt know where to go.... now I do, and with the right company, it suits me fine... the bars are open, so just get a crowd together and go... theres nothing boring when youre with friends.

For boring go to Luxembourg.... zzzzzzzzzzzz YAWN!

Charlie, Nov 9, 2010 @ 15:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

True. With the right crowd you can be happy almost anywhere. But I think it's just thanks to the great expat community, and much Glocals, that I like it as much as I do here. Cause as the article states: the nightlife and choices here... not too good!

True. With the right crowd you can be happy almost anywhere. But I think it's just thanks to the great expat community, and much Glocals, that I like it as much as I do here. Cause as the article states: the nightlife and choices here... not too good!

Line B, Nov 9, 2010 @ 16:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I noted something interesting in that article. The article from Illustré is written in the context of the recent discussions about there not being enough nightlife in Geneva, creating even a few nightly protest actions from Usine. It's true, 10 years ago there was Artamis, there was Rhino, and many more places like that. Yes, the choice was bigger. Yes, I do regret their disappearance very much. We're talking about alternative places here, dirty cheap bear, horrible toilets, lots of smoke, lots of noise, and I can go inside without wearing high heels, a miniskirt and tons of makeup. When people talk about "good nightlife" here, they usually talk about that kind of places.

But: when I hear (or read) some expats talking about nightlife in Geneva, they talk about clubs, hip pubs, hip places like the Buddha Bar - not quite the same kind of places... no?

I agree with Charlie: if you know where to go, Geneva is still cool (for its size, I mean). Last Saturday there were so many things going on I had trouble choosing. But for that you have to look up places like Théâtre de l'Usine, L'écurie, Duplex, Le Cabinet....

I noted something interesting in that article. The article from Illustré is written in the context of the recent discussions about there not being enough nightlife in Geneva, creating even a few nightly protest actions from Usine. It's true, 10 years ago there was Artamis, there was Rhino, and many more places like that. Yes, the choice was bigger. Yes, I do regret their disappearance very much. We're talking about alternative places here, dirty cheap bear, horrible toilets, lots of smoke, lots of noise, and I can go inside without wearing high heels, a miniskirt and tons of makeup. When people talk about "good nightlife" here, they usually talk about that kind of places.

But: when I hear (or read) some expats talking about nightlife in Geneva, they talk about clubs, hip pubs, hip places like the Buddha Bar - not quite the same kind of places... no?

I agree with Charlie: if you know where to go, Geneva is still cool (for its size, I mean). Last Saturday there were so many things going on I had trouble choosing. But for that you have to look up places like Théâtre de l'Usine, L'écurie, Duplex, Le Cabinet....

eva77, Nov 9, 2010 @ 18:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Eva, you're right. For my part, at least. I like places a bit more upscale. SANS the smoke and horrible toilets. I wouldn't mind have one of those fancy discos in Geneva, But WITHOUT the teens! However, when it comes to the cheap alcohol? Bring it on! ;-)

Eva, you're right. For my part, at least. I like places a bit more upscale. SANS the smoke and horrible toilets. I wouldn't mind have one of those fancy discos in Geneva, But WITHOUT the teens! However, when it comes to the cheap alcohol? Bring it on! ;-)

Line B, Nov 9, 2010 @ 20:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1377 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form