Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Pregnant in Geneva!

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Pregnant in Geneva!

Hello, hoping I can pick your brains if anyone has any advice!

We`ve been in Geneva for around 9 months, having moved from England - and have a 4 year old son who is attending the local school. I am now 4 months pregnant and although feel fairly settled here, I`m still quite apprehensive about having a baby in another country, without my family and friends around it just feels a tad lonely. My French is terrible and I have serious pregnancy brain, so even though I`m having lessons its just not sinking in!!

If anyone knows of any classes in English (yoga or antenatal) or meet-ups for pregnant mums please let me know - or if you`ve had a baby here and can tell me what your experience was like - please, please do!!

I`m also quite confused about registering the birth and obtaining a passport, the baby will be born a few weeks before xmas and we plan to go back to Manchester - do I just send the birth certificate off to the embassy here? As someone told me they`d moved it to Paris? And am I right that the baby has no rights to be Swiss - as we are both English, does the baby have to wait the same 12 years or so that we do?

Thanks for any help! Sarah :-)

The text you are quoting:

Hello, hoping I can pick your brains if anyone has any advice!

We`ve been in Geneva for around 9 months, having moved from England - and have a 4 year old son who is attending the local school. I am now 4 months pregnant and although feel fairly settled here, I`m still quite apprehensive about having a baby in another country, without my family and friends around it just feels a tad lonely. My French is terrible and I have serious pregnancy brain, so even though I`m having lessons its just not sinking in!!

If anyone knows of any classes in English (yoga or antenatal) or meet-ups for pregnant mums please let me know - or if you`ve had a baby here and can tell me what your experience was like - please, please do!!

I`m also quite confused about registering the birth and obtaining a passport, the baby will be born a few weeks before xmas and we plan to go back to Manchester - do I just send the birth certificate off to the embassy here? As someone told me they`d moved it to Paris? And am I right that the baby has no rights to be Swiss - as we are both English, does the baby have to wait the same 12 years or so that we do?

Thanks for any help! Sarah :-)

sarah cooperMay 20, 2010 @ 09:44
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 3990 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Pregnant in Geneva!
Post 1

MY wife and I went to the Hopital de la tour in Meyrin. Great team, fatastic service, and your obsetrician can look after you. I'm sute they organize antenatal classes or can give you some advice on the subject.

The site in on French, but most physicians speak English.

Tak care

MY wife and I went to the Hopital de la tour in Meyrin. Great team, fatastic service, and your obsetrician can look after you. I'm sute they organize antenatal classes or can give you some advice on the subject.

The site in on French, but most physicians speak English.

Tak care

Free, May 20, 2010 @ 10:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thanks Free.

I do have a obsetrician and midwife at the HUG - which seems to be an okay hospital - and they speak English - but the antenatal classes are all in french. I probably don`t really need them but would like to meet other English speaking mums-to-be!

Cheers

Thanks Free.

I do have a obsetrician and midwife at the HUG - which seems to be an okay hospital - and they speak English - but the antenatal classes are all in french. I probably don`t really need them but would like to meet other English speaking mums-to-be!

Cheers

sarah cooper, May 20, 2010 @ 10:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

From the Hopital de la tour brochure on maternity: Antenal courses, held in the "service Physical Therapy" (Avenue J.-D. Maillard 3-1217 Meyrin), are led by midwives at the Hospital de la Tour.

Wednesdays or Thursdays (in English) from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

As far as I know, they are open to everybody.

Cheers

From the Hopital de la tour brochure on maternity: Antenal courses, held in the "service Physical Therapy" (Avenue J.-D. Maillard 3-1217 Meyrin), are led by midwives at the Hospital de la Tour.

Wednesdays or Thursdays (in English) from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

As far as I know, they are open to everybody.

Cheers

Free, May 20, 2010 @ 10:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Swiss citizenship is NOT acquired automatically if the baby is born in Switzerland, without any of the parents being Swiss. If the child grows up in Switzerland and goes to school here it might be easier to get Swiss citizenship later, but I don't know the details...

Swiss citizenship is NOT acquired automatically if the baby is born in Switzerland, without any of the parents being Swiss. If the child grows up in Switzerland and goes to school here it might be easier to get Swiss citizenship later, but I don't know the details...

eva77, May 20, 2010 @ 22:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

I think children have to live in Switzerland 6 years to get the citizenship, 1 year counts as 2.

Have you had a look at angloinfo.com? There you can find almost everything that exists in Geneva that is in English.

I think children have to live in Switzerland 6 years to get the citizenship, 1 year counts as 2.

Have you had a look at angloinfo.com? There you can find almost everything that exists in Geneva that is in English.

elka, May 21, 2010 @ 08:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

I am a UK nurse and I made sure that I was back home (Geneva) to have my child!  I was at the HUG and they were fantastic! They provide antenatel classes and I think that some are in English too, but not as often.  The HUG will be able to give you all the info that you need you just need to ask.  

You will get a birth certificate and you will have to send it to the British consulate in Paris so that you get passport sorted, no idea how long it would take though as my son took Swiss nationality not GB.  

Hope this helps a bit...

Kelly

I am a UK nurse and I made sure that I was back home (Geneva) to have my child!  I was at the HUG and they were fantastic! They provide antenatel classes and I think that some are in English too, but not as often.  The HUG will be able to give you all the info that you need you just need to ask.  

You will get a birth certificate and you will have to send it to the British consulate in Paris so that you get passport sorted, no idea how long it would take though as my son took Swiss nationality not GB.  

Hope this helps a bit...

Kelly

KAM81, May 21, 2010 @ 09:30
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Check out www.bumpsnbubs.com.  This is a site for Mums and Mums-to-be in Geneva.  Some of your questions are answered in the FAQ Section.  I had a baby in Geneva 6 months ago, and would be happy to share my experience with you.  Overall it was a very good experience.

Babies are not automatically given citizenship and I believe it is 6 or 7 years until they can apply (I think).  Births need to be registered at the Town Hall in Eaux Vives, and then you can apply for a passport. You are correct that this now needs to be done in Paris.

Feel free to message me if I can help more :)

Check out www.bumpsnbubs.com.  This is a site for Mums and Mums-to-be in Geneva.  Some of your questions are answered in the FAQ Section.  I had a baby in Geneva 6 months ago, and would be happy to share my experience with you.  Overall it was a very good experience.

Babies are not automatically given citizenship and I believe it is 6 or 7 years until they can apply (I think).  Births need to be registered at the Town Hall in Eaux Vives, and then you can apply for a passport. You are correct that this now needs to be done in Paris.

Feel free to message me if I can help more :)

elemenop, May 21, 2010 @ 09:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Thanks everyone for all the advice, really appreciated!!!

Thanks everyone for all the advice, really appreciated!!!

sarah cooper, May 23, 2010 @ 10:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 3990 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form