Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Programming / Technology Related Meet-up Group in Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Programming / Technology Related Meet-up Group in Geneva

Salut all,
Right so I have this "crazy" idea of setting up a programming/technology related meet-up group for people in or around Geneva. I'm from London and just arrived in Geneva back in June, however I used to attend various different meetup groups such as the London Java Community, the London Android Group, PHP London etc. (Full List) - all pretty technical. When I arrived in Geneva, I looked around for similar groups but haven't found any yet. I currently work in CERN as a Technical Student and asked a few people in my section if they knew of anything but alas they didn't know of any active groups.
So, I've decided I will try and setup my own group and I'm just wondering if there is any interest on glocals. I plan on just heading to a bar for the first event and seeing who shows up and then go from there, but we'd likely have a meeting once a month either in a bar or in a rented room somewhere (hopefully a company can sponsor the group). I'd want to keep the group as a general technical group to allow anyone to show up, people would give talks about what they're working on or teach about how to write good code/tests or just anything technical. I would probably aim to try and keep the group English due to my lack of French, however I'm learning a lot and would welcome talks/presentations in French.
I'm just gathering interest right now, I think if enough people say "Yes" from a broad range of companies within Geneva then I'll hopefully get the first event setup for the end of the month. If not, then I'll have to visit as many banks/tech companies as possible over the next few weeks to ask if I can speak or email the software development teams within each company.
The aim of the group would be to allow everyone to network with like-minded folk, learn from each others experiences and possibly collabrate in the future. I don't want any recruiters showing up, we would only focus on code and everything that comes with it.
If you have any questions feel free to reply here or message me privately...
Cheers / Merci! =)

The text you are quoting:

Salut all,
Right so I have this "crazy" idea of setting up a programming/technology related meet-up group for people in or around Geneva. I'm from London and just arrived in Geneva back in June, however I used to attend various different meetup groups such as the London Java Community, the London Android Group, PHP London etc. (Full List) - all pretty technical. When I arrived in Geneva, I looked around for similar groups but haven't found any yet. I currently work in CERN as a Technical Student and asked a few people in my section if they knew of anything but alas they didn't know of any active groups.
So, I've decided I will try and setup my own group and I'm just wondering if there is any interest on glocals. I plan on just heading to a bar for the first event and seeing who shows up and then go from there, but we'd likely have a meeting once a month either in a bar or in a rented room somewhere (hopefully a company can sponsor the group). I'd want to keep the group as a general technical group to allow anyone to show up, people would give talks about what they're working on or teach about how to write good code/tests or just anything technical. I would probably aim to try and keep the group English due to my lack of French, however I'm learning a lot and would welcome talks/presentations in French.
I'm just gathering interest right now, I think if enough people say "Yes" from a broad range of companies within Geneva then I'll hopefully get the first event setup for the end of the month. If not, then I'll have to visit as many banks/tech companies as possible over the next few weeks to ask if I can speak or email the software development teams within each company.
The aim of the group would be to allow everyone to network with like-minded folk, learn from each others experiences and possibly collabrate in the future. I don't want any recruiters showing up, we would only focus on code and everything that comes with it.
If you have any questions feel free to reply here or message me privately...
Cheers / Merci! =)

Daniel LSep 7, 2010 @ 14:04
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

0 Replies | 594 Views      |  Send to friend

No replies posted yet.
0 Replies | 594 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form