Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Recycling & Composting

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Recycling & Composting

Hi,

I haven't seen too many posts on recycling, unless I'm looking in the wrong place. I'm very interested in recycling as much of my waste as possible! I found this link on Geneva Lunch (http://genevalunch.com/new-to-geneva-me-too/2009/05/02/waste-organic-disposal-and-recycling-in-geneva/), which was extremely helpful, but I wanted to ask a few things, in case anything has changed, if anyone knows the answers:

1. Can you recycle plastic yogurt containers? I don't see the PET sign on them but I see the two arrows (in a ying and yang formation) on the containers but I'm not sure what that means. I could in the U.S. and I have been eating a lot of yogurt and feel extremely guilty if I can't recycle them. If not, I could switch to glass but of course, those are twice the price!

2. Does anyone compost? On the poster in the link above, it says you can go to the office in Acacias and get the composting bin for free. I'm going to try that and to get more information on where to bring the compost (hopefully the poster isn't outdated), but in the meantime, does anyone know where you can bring the compost? My building doesn't seem to have any information about it.

3. I found the recycling bins to be conveniently located around the city where you can bring colored glass bottles, PET plastics, aluminum and coffee pods. Are the "Blanc" bins for both white (opaque) and clear glass or just white?

4. I found cardboard recycling is picked up at my building on certain days. I'm all set with that but for the benefit of anyone else, if you know where to find a schedule by location, please do post it.

5. Any other random recycling tips?

Thanks in advance!

The text you are quoting:

Hi,

I haven't seen too many posts on recycling, unless I'm looking in the wrong place. I'm very interested in recycling as much of my waste as possible! I found this link on Geneva Lunch (http://genevalunch.com/new-to-geneva-me-too/2009/05/02/waste-organic-disposal-and-recycling-in-geneva/), which was extremely helpful, but I wanted to ask a few things, in case anything has changed, if anyone knows the answers:

1. Can you recycle plastic yogurt containers? I don't see the PET sign on them but I see the two arrows (in a ying and yang formation) on the containers but I'm not sure what that means. I could in the U.S. and I have been eating a lot of yogurt and feel extremely guilty if I can't recycle them. If not, I could switch to glass but of course, those are twice the price!

2. Does anyone compost? On the poster in the link above, it says you can go to the office in Acacias and get the composting bin for free. I'm going to try that and to get more information on where to bring the compost (hopefully the poster isn't outdated), but in the meantime, does anyone know where you can bring the compost? My building doesn't seem to have any information about it.

3. I found the recycling bins to be conveniently located around the city where you can bring colored glass bottles, PET plastics, aluminum and coffee pods. Are the "Blanc" bins for both white (opaque) and clear glass or just white?

4. I found cardboard recycling is picked up at my building on certain days. I'm all set with that but for the benefit of anyone else, if you know where to find a schedule by location, please do post it.

5. Any other random recycling tips?

Thanks in advance!

Jacqueline EMar 3, 2010 @ 15:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 2819 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Recycling & Composting
Post 1

I know that the Migros leger yogurt cups are recyclable, but not sure about others.

Composting, I have a small green wheelie bin at the back of my apartment building next to our regular dumpster that is for our compost.  I don't do it every day (partly because I don't actually cook every day), but when I do a massive cook, like on the weekends or for a party, I definitely compost.  You can compost things like coffee filters and tea bags as well as food scraps.

The glass recycling, the blanc is for clear.  i don't actually know about opaque glass bottles.

Also, Ikea takes the flourescent light bulbs. Batteries, you can recycle at most of the little depots around town near the aluminum and glass bins (it's a small container usually on a pole). Old paint cans and leftover diy stuff like that, the M-Parc in Carouge has a decheterie where you can put the stuff.  As you walk to M-Parc from Carouge, it's in the left side of the parking lot.  If you get to the actual building with the DIY center and Micasa, you've gone too far. 

WHen you buy electronics and small appliances here, you pay a recycling charge, so the shops have to take your old stuff.  I have walked into Fust with a hairdryer on one occasion and a blender on the other (neither purchased there) and handed the stuff to the guy behind the counter.  He took it without batting an eye.  I did buy the replacements there, but still, I think you could walk into Interdiscount and do the same.  Also any of the phone shops will take your old mobiles as well for recycling. 

For eyeglasses, I think most of the eyeglass shops take old pairs of glasses for charitable organizations.  I know the Visilab in Eaux Vives 2000 does, as well as the eyeglass shop around the corner from the Starbucks at Cornavin (walk to the end of the block near the Post Office and turn left).

Hope this helps!

I know that the Migros leger yogurt cups are recyclable, but not sure about others.

Composting, I have a small green wheelie bin at the back of my apartment building next to our regular dumpster that is for our compost.  I don't do it every day (partly because I don't actually cook every day), but when I do a massive cook, like on the weekends or for a party, I definitely compost.  You can compost things like coffee filters and tea bags as well as food scraps.

The glass recycling, the blanc is for clear.  i don't actually know about opaque glass bottles.

Also, Ikea takes the flourescent light bulbs. Batteries, you can recycle at most of the little depots around town near the aluminum and glass bins (it's a small container usually on a pole). Old paint cans and leftover diy stuff like that, the M-Parc in Carouge has a decheterie where you can put the stuff.  As you walk to M-Parc from Carouge, it's in the left side of the parking lot.  If you get to the actual building with the DIY center and Micasa, you've gone too far. 

WHen you buy electronics and small appliances here, you pay a recycling charge, so the shops have to take your old stuff.  I have walked into Fust with a hairdryer on one occasion and a blender on the other (neither purchased there) and handed the stuff to the guy behind the counter.  He took it without batting an eye.  I did buy the replacements there, but still, I think you could walk into Interdiscount and do the same.  Also any of the phone shops will take your old mobiles as well for recycling. 

For eyeglasses, I think most of the eyeglass shops take old pairs of glasses for charitable organizations.  I know the Visilab in Eaux Vives 2000 does, as well as the eyeglass shop around the corner from the Starbucks at Cornavin (walk to the end of the block near the Post Office and turn left).

Hope this helps!

misskate, Mar 3, 2010 @ 16:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Recycling & Composting
Post 2

Thank you so much for all the great information. This is very helpful.

Unfortunately, there is no green bin at my apartment so if anyone else out there knows of a public place to drop off the compost, I would be very appreciative!

Thanks again misskate!

Thank you so much for all the great information. This is very helpful.

Unfortunately, there is no green bin at my apartment so if anyone else out there knows of a public place to drop off the compost, I would be very appreciative!

Thanks again misskate!

Jacqueline E, Mar 3, 2010 @ 21:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 2819 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form