Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Regie sending "bills" after deposit returned

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Regie sending "bills" after deposit returned

We quit our appt in April, had our checkout and our deposit returned all in good order and without a fuss... But now, in July, the regie has sent us a bill for hot water charges. They have not sent an original bill (i.e. from the building / commune), but only on their headed paper. The bill is quite sizeable.

My understanding is that once the checkout is done and deposit returned, there are no valid claims to be made against me. My position is that I have cleared everything and they have agreed to that by returning the deposit.

Can anyone advise on this? 

Thanks!

The text you are quoting:

We quit our appt in April, had our checkout and our deposit returned all in good order and without a fuss... But now, in July, the regie has sent us a bill for hot water charges. They have not sent an original bill (i.e. from the building / commune), but only on their headed paper. The bill is quite sizeable.

My understanding is that once the checkout is done and deposit returned, there are no valid claims to be made against me. My position is that I have cleared everything and they have agreed to that by returning the deposit.

Can anyone advise on this? 

Thanks!

toby lJul 20, 2015 @ 09:57
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

8 Replies | 2001 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Regie sending "bills" after deposit returned
Post 1

It will be for hot water used last year.. mine will be the other way around as I get a rebate every year. Aks for evidence first, and it should be a consistent bill relative to previous years. Perhaps then speak with ASLOCA or a lawyer if you assurance juridique?  

It will be for hot water used last year.. mine will be the other way around as I get a rebate every year. Aks for evidence first, and it should be a consistent bill relative to previous years. Perhaps then speak with ASLOCA or a lawyer if you assurance juridique?  

Chris T, Jul 26, 2015 @ 16:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Toby,

The calculation for the charges (hot water, heating, etc.) is done once a year. Usually you pay along with your rent an amount that is deducted from this calculation and in some cases you receive some money back, but most of the time you have to pay the outstanding balance. 

As Chris said, the bill concerns the consumption of last year and should be similar to the bills received in the past years except if last winter was exceptionally cold, etc. 

Even if your deposit was returned you still owe this amount. Of course if you think that the amount is not correct you can ask an explanation to the regie and go to ASLOCA if necessary.

Hi Toby,

The calculation for the charges (hot water, heating, etc.) is done once a year. Usually you pay along with your rent an amount that is deducted from this calculation and in some cases you receive some money back, but most of the time you have to pay the outstanding balance. 

As Chris said, the bill concerns the consumption of last year and should be similar to the bills received in the past years except if last winter was exceptionally cold, etc. 

Even if your deposit was returned you still owe this amount. Of course if you think that the amount is not correct you can ask an explanation to the regie and go to ASLOCA if necessary.

Viviane A, Jul 27, 2015 @ 08:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I had the same situation and was just wondering what's up, when I saw Chris + Viviane's replies. Very helpful, thanks a lot!

I had the same situation and was just wondering what's up, when I saw Chris + Viviane's replies. Very helpful, thanks a lot!

Nir Ofek, Jul 27, 2015 @ 09:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Does anyone know how long can a regie keep your deposit for without sending you any justification for doing so? We have moved out 3 months ago, following all the usual procedures. The guy inspecting our apartment found a few issues but he said it should not be around a thousand or so francs. It's been 3 months now and they still haven't sent us the bill for the repairs in the apartment, and they haven't released our deposit. 

Is there something that we can do? The regie by the way is Moser Vernet. Apart from this, I understand now that Moser Vernet targets expats who do not know much about the city and rents out super expensive, bad quality apartments. They may have some more normal properties elsewhere but in the building where we lived on Giuseppe Motta there was a very high turn-around, always foreigners like us, and everyone moved out as soon as they are realized they were being overcharged tremendously. 

Does anyone know how long can a regie keep your deposit for without sending you any justification for doing so? We have moved out 3 months ago, following all the usual procedures. The guy inspecting our apartment found a few issues but he said it should not be around a thousand or so francs. It's been 3 months now and they still haven't sent us the bill for the repairs in the apartment, and they haven't released our deposit. 

Is there something that we can do? The regie by the way is Moser Vernet. Apart from this, I understand now that Moser Vernet targets expats who do not know much about the city and rents out super expensive, bad quality apartments. They may have some more normal properties elsewhere but in the building where we lived on Giuseppe Motta there was a very high turn-around, always foreigners like us, and everyone moved out as soon as they are realized they were being overcharged tremendously. 

Elina D, Apr 5, 2017 @ 15:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Maybe make a first contact with them if not already done. If you can have them signing you a paper stating that they owe you the money it would be the best (but I doubt this will happen). 

If this is not working then you should probably go to the "permanence juridique" (way cheaper than a normal lawyer) to see if they can help you to claim the thing through a legal action. 

Or you can make contact with ASLOCA and see what they think about it. They also have lawyers who will be able to answer you. 

Maybe make a first contact with them if not already done. If you can have them signing you a paper stating that they owe you the money it would be the best (but I doubt this will happen). 

If this is not working then you should probably go to the "permanence juridique" (way cheaper than a normal lawyer) to see if they can help you to claim the thing through a legal action. 

Or you can make contact with ASLOCA and see what they think about it. They also have lawyers who will be able to answer you. 

yoyo lolo, Apr 5, 2017 @ 16:29
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Apr 5, 17 15:37

Just call the regie and ask

Just call the regie and ask

Nir Ofek, Apr 5, 2017 @ 16:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

For all future tenants in Geneva: there is a way around the 3 months deposit that regies ask you to block on a special account with the bank (called "caution"): ask if you can use an insurance based deposit: 

SwissCaution

https://www.swisscaution.ch/

or

Alba

https://www.helvetia.com/ch/content/fr/personnes-privees/assurance-clients-prives/cautionnement-de-loyer/calculer-conclure.html

For all future tenants in Geneva: there is a way around the 3 months deposit that regies ask you to block on a special account with the bank (called "caution"): ask if you can use an insurance based deposit: 

SwissCaution

or

Alba

https://www.helvetia.com/ch/content/fr/personnes-privees/assurance-clients-prives/cautionnement-de-loyer/calculer-conclure.html

hay_, Apr 5, 2017 @ 21:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

SwissCaution

or

Alba

Apr 5, 17 21:39

Unfortunately most of the caution insurances will not accept legitimation card holders so that creates another problem all together. And not all regies accept them. It would make life so much simpler.

Unfortunately most of the caution insurances will not accept legitimation card holders so that creates another problem all together. And not all regies accept them. It would make life so much simpler.

Marcy S, Apr 6, 2017 @ 12:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
8 Replies | 2001 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form