Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Registering as self-employed

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Registering as self-employed
Hi

I am currently wrestling with the process of becoming registered self-employed in Geneva and finding it less than simple. If anyone else has been through this process, particularly as a consultant to a UN body, and is willing to discuss it briefly, or if anyone can put me in touch with someone who has done so, I would be extremely grateful.

Guy
The text you are quoting:
Hi

I am currently wrestling with the process of becoming registered self-employed in Geneva and finding it less than simple. If anyone else has been through this process, particularly as a consultant to a UN body, and is willing to discuss it briefly, or if anyone can put me in touch with someone who has done so, I would be extremely grateful.

Guy
GuyDSep 17, 2007 @ 12:35
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

14 Replies | 4928 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Registering as self-employed
Post 1
i was told that to be registered as an independent, you have to show proof of at least 3
clients. having 1 or 2 is not considered "enough" and appears as if you are dependent on only 1 source of income (as an employee) however, as an employee, you are not allowed to have a 2nd source of income as an independent.....go figure!!!
i was told that to be registered as an independent, you have to show proof of at least 3
clients. having 1 or 2 is not considered "enough" and appears as if you are dependent on only 1 source of income (as an employee) however, as an employee, you are not allowed to have a 2nd source of income as an independent.....go figure!!!
epicure, Sep 17, 2007 @ 14:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
I'm a freelance translator and I was "allowed" to register with two main clients and one agency, but they asked plenty of questions to make sure that I was truly independent.

Most of all, it took ages. The process began in October of 2005, I submitted the first questionnaire in December 2005, they asked clarifying questions in February 2006, we replied at length, and I was registered in mid-March 2006. Paid my first invoice in April - that didn't take long for them!

This was all done in writing with our local AVS office in Coppet and the regional office in Clarens. On the "Attestation" that they send to my clients, I'm listed as having been affiliated since October 2005, when the process began.

Given the difference in cantons and professions, it may be a very different road for you. Good luck!

Christi
I'm a freelance translator and I was "allowed" to register with two main clients and one agency, but they asked plenty of questions to make sure that I was truly independent.

Most of all, it took ages. The process began in October of 2005, I submitted the first questionnaire in December 2005, they asked clarifying questions in February 2006, we replied at length, and I was registered in mid-March 2006. Paid my first invoice in April - that didn't take long for them!

This was all done in writing with our local AVS office in Coppet and the regional office in Clarens. On the "Attestation" that they send to my clients, I'm listed as having been affiliated since October 2005, when the process began.

Given the difference in cantons and professions, it may be a very different road for you. Good luck!

Christi

Christi, Sep 17, 2007 @ 23:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
I went through the procedure and found it fairly straightforward. Getting the three clients is important though but even more important is to demonstrate the experience you have to make it as a self-employed person. I did have to wait about 6 weeks before I got any response though. And this was an initial permit for 6 months, during which time I was expected to have dealt with the necessary formalities. If you've got more questions, feel free to drop me a line.
I went through the procedure and found it fairly straightforward. Getting the three clients is important though but even more important is to demonstrate the experience you have to make it as a self-employed person. I did have to wait about 6 weeks before I got any response though. And this was an initial permit for 6 months, during which time I was expected to have dealt with the necessary formalities. If you've got more questions, feel free to drop me a line.
lentil, Sep 18, 2007 @ 13:45
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
Hi Christi,

Thanks for the info. I'll be living in Vaud Canton in Lausanne. Right now I only have one client in Switzerland but others in France and the United States. Does that matter to the officials and also does marital status matter? For instance, if our main family income comes from my husband, are they more lenient on someone having fewer clients? Thanks for any info you can share! Carolyn
Hi Christi,

Thanks for the info. I'll be living in Vaud Canton in Lausanne. Right now I only have one client in Switzerland but others in France and the United States. Does that matter to the officials and also does marital status matter? For instance, if our main family income comes from my husband, are they more lenient on someone having fewer clients? Thanks for any info you can share! Carolyn

MotionTemps, Sep 19, 2007 @ 20:25
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
Oops, I never checked back to thank you all for your input. To cut a long story short, I have managed to get a non-consultant position, so do not need to register as self-employed. Thanks for the advice/experience.
Oops, I never checked back to thank you all for your input. To cut a long story short, I have managed to get a non-consultant position, so do not need to register as self-employed. Thanks for the advice/experience.
GuyD, Sep 28, 2007 @ 18:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
So if I have less than three clients, I cannot be considered independent and therefore don't have to pay AVS and in fact cannot pay AVS?

So if I have less than three clients, I cannot be considered independent and therefore don't have to pay AVS and in fact cannot pay AVS?

falenangel, Sep 28, 2007 @ 22:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
Well, if you don't have three clients you're unlikely to be able to gain residency as a self-employed individual, and even as an EU citizen you still need to register as something here (categories available from http://www.geneve.ch/ocp/europe.html#demande). So, no you don't have to pay AVS, but you may not be legally resident either.
Well, if you don't have three clients you're unlikely to be able to gain residency as a self-employed individual, and even as an EU citizen you still need to register as something here (categories available from http://www.geneve.ch/ocp/europe.html#demande). So, no you don't have to pay AVS, but you may not be legally resident either.
GuyD, Oct 1, 2007 @ 17:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Hi
I will be happy to help you, just send me an email anf i will introduce to my partner who will be able to advice you.
[email protected]
Hi
I will be happy to help you, just send me an email anf i will introduce to my partner who will be able to advice you.
[email protected]
Tryky, Oct 2, 2007 @ 14:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi Christi,

My name is Aleks. I saw your post on how to register as a freelance translator in Switzerland and I have a couple of questions. I have moved with my partner to Geneva a few months ago, and I hold a B permit. I have been translating for the last 6 years and I want to register my business where I am residing now. I have many clients, mostly agencies, but also companies, yet none of them in Switzerland.

Can you please advise me where I need to go and what I need to do to get registered and do I need to get a VAT number. Also, how long does it take to get the formalities done, and how does it work with paying taxes and other obligatory things.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Aleks

Hi Christi,

My name is Aleks. I saw your post on how to register as a freelance translator in Switzerland and I have a couple of questions. I have moved with my partner to Geneva a few months ago, and I hold a B permit. I have been translating for the last 6 years and I want to register my business where I am residing now. I have many clients, mostly agencies, but also companies, yet none of them in Switzerland.

Can you please advise me where I need to go and what I need to do to get registered and do I need to get a VAT number. Also, how long does it take to get the formalities done, and how does it work with paying taxes and other obligatory things.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Aleks

Aleksandar R, Jul 8, 2014 @ 01:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Hi Aleks,
This thread is quite old now and I think there have been changes in the regulations. I suggest you contact the Office de la Population et Migration to get up to date information on the steps to take.
The following page may offer some relevant info and also contact details for this administrative body
http://www.geneve.ch/etrangers-confederes/fr/

All the best for your registration

Hi Aleks,
This thread is quite old now and I think there have been changes in the regulations. I suggest you contact the Office de la Population et Migration to get up to date information on the steps to take.
The following page may offer some relevant info and also contact details for this administrative body
http://www.geneve.ch/etrangers-confederes/fr/

All the best for your registration

lentil, Jul 8, 2014 @ 13:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Hi,

What you need first as a foreigner is a special B permit for freelance activity - Permis B pour activité indépendante (or a C permit if you are here from a long time). Once you have it, you can go to the caisse AVS you choose (the social security institute - for instance it can be OCAS or FER CIAM) with at least three contracts with Swiss clients. You can also add different invoices to make a solid dossier (invoices for investments or other spendings, rent for your business etc). If you have any questions, I am a tax and accounting consultant so I can help via email at [email protected] 

Hi,

What you need first as a foreigner is a special B permit for freelance activity - Permis B pour activité indépendante (or a C permit if you are here from a long time). Once you have it, you can go to the caisse AVS you choose (the social security institute - for instance it can be OCAS or FER CIAM) with at least three contracts with Swiss clients. You can also add different invoices to make a solid dossier (invoices for investments or other spendings, rent for your business etc). If you have any questions, I am a tax and accounting consultant so I can help via email at [email protected] 

Georgi U, Jul 8, 2014 @ 13:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

Hi Georgi and others, thanks for your advice in this thread.

I have a Ci permit (as a UN spouse) and I have a part-time job in Geneva. I would like to know if I can retain this job AND register as self-employed to allow me to do some work for one other organisation (which requires self-employed status). When I asked the service étranger, they replied with: 

Il vous pouvez tout à fait devenir indépendant. Il faudra simplement nous l'annoncer dans les 14 jours suivants l'événement à l'aide du formulaire ci-joint pour nous permettre d'actualiser votre autorisation Ci (permis).

But the document they attached was only for Europeans (I have an Australian passport). I have requested another one, but in the meantime I'm still unsure if what I want is permittable. 

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks,
Nick

Hi Georgi and others, thanks for your advice in this thread.

I have a Ci permit (as a UN spouse) and I have a part-time job in Geneva. I would like to know if I can retain this job AND register as self-employed to allow me to do some work for one other organisation (which requires self-employed status). When I asked the service étranger, they replied with: 

Il vous pouvez tout à fait devenir indépendant. Il faudra simplement nous l'annoncer dans les 14 jours suivants l'événement à l'aide du formulaire ci-joint pour nous permettre d'actualiser votre autorisation Ci (permis).

But the document they attached was only for Europeans (I have an Australian passport). I have requested another one, but in the meantime I'm still unsure if what I want is permittable. 

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks,
Nick

Nick Leonard, Nov 21, 2014 @ 08:40
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Hi Guy,

So, you can check on the website :

https://www.startbiz.ch/kmuapp/home

You can put it in English, and if you creat an account, you'll see all the steps you have to follow, and they provide you all help you need.

I used it for my GF, she's going to be self employed as a beautician (lil' add for her too!! ;) haha). Try and see :)

Hi Guy,

So, you can check on the website :

https://www.startbiz.ch/kmuapp/home

You can put it in English, and if you creat an account, you'll see all the steps you have to follow, and they provide you all help you need.

I used it for my GF, she's going to be self employed as a beautician (lil' add for her too!! ;) haha). Try and see :)

Carlos B, Nov 21, 2014 @ 10:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
14 Replies | 4928 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form