Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Rent reducations available in Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Rent reducations available in Geneva

Due to a recent decision by the Geneva council, it is possible to get a potentially significant reduction on your rent. There are a few rules, but Asloca have helpfully prepared a web page to calculate the amount you are entitled to. Fill in your deyails and it will produce a letter, in French, to be signed and sent to your regie.

Many people I spoke to are getting at least 10% off their rent.

http://www.asloca.ch/calculateur-de-loyer/

The text you are quoting:

Due to a recent decision by the Geneva council, it is possible to get a potentially significant reduction on your rent. There are a few rules, but Asloca have helpfully prepared a web page to calculate the amount you are entitled to. Fill in your deyails and it will produce a letter, in French, to be signed and sent to your regie.

Sean CMar 14, 2018 @ 14:46
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

47 Replies | 3237 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Rent reducations available in Geneva
Post 1

Damn Sean, if I get 10% off my rent thanks to this, there's a big free dinner coming your way!

Damn Sean, if I get 10% off my rent thanks to this, there's a big free dinner coming your way!

Nir Ofek, Mar 14, 2018 @ 15:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

I ended up with 10.35%

I ended up with 10.35%

Sean C, Mar 15, 2018 @ 22:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I ended up with 10.35%

Mar 15, 18 22:08

A long-standing

acquaintance tells me that he has succeeded in obtaining a reduction in rent on several occasions when there’s been a drop in the interest rate.

He writes a letter along the lines given on Asloca’s website, requesting a reduction of, say,

20%.  The Regie’s response is usually a reduction of 5% which is subsequently mutually agreed at 10%.

I have no personal experience of any such negotiations myself but my informant assures me that they can and do work so good luck to all who decide to give them a whirl.

R.

A long-standing

acquaintance tells me that he has succeeded in obtaining a reduction in rent on several occasions when there’s been a drop in the interest rate.

He writes a letter along the lines given on Asloca’s website, requesting a reduction of, say,

20%.  The Regie’s response is usually a reduction of 5% which is subsequently mutually agreed at 10%.

I have no personal experience of any such negotiations myself but my informant assures me that they can and do work so good luck to all who decide to give them a whirl.

R.

Ritchie, Mar 15, 2018 @ 22:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I ended up with 10.35%

Mar 15, 18 22:08

You mean the asloca calculation for you was 10.35%, or you mean the Regie accepted that reduction for you?

You mean the asloca calculation for you was 10.35%, or you mean the Regie accepted that reduction for you?

Nir Ofek, Mar 16, 2018 @ 07:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Mar 16, 18 07:47

Actually I checked and the final amount was 10.65%, the ASLOCA estimate was 13%-something. It will begin on my rent anniversery.

Actually I checked and the final amount was 10.65%, the ASLOCA estimate was 13%-something. It will begin on my rent anniversery.

Sean C, Mar 16, 2018 @ 09:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Mar 16, 18 09:42

So how did the process work: you just sent the Asloca letter to the Regie asking for 13% off, and the Regie came back and said they agree to 10% off?

So how did the process work: you just sent the Asloca letter to the Regie asking for 13% off, and the Regie came back and said they agree to 10% off?

Nir Ofek, Mar 16, 2018 @ 09:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Yes, I sent it via post recommonde. They took a *while* to process it.

It is tied to the anniversery of the rental contract. Perhaps I could have gained more than 10.65% by going to ASLOCA, but I decided to just accept what the regie proposed.

Yes, I sent it via post recommonde. They took a *while* to process it.

It is tied to the anniversery of the rental contract. Perhaps I could have gained more than 10.65% by going to ASLOCA, but I decided to just accept what the regie proposed.

Sean C, Mar 16, 2018 @ 09:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Mine successly reduced 12.60% last year on same process via Asloca, some points to note:

- needs to be requested at least 3 months prior contract anniversary by recorded letter.

- can only start on anniversary date.

- Regie will often fight it, legal reply 'rent in line with similar in area'

- ASLOCA will issue court request

- Regie will capitulate in almost all cases

- Legal insurance (for eg TCS) will cover all the costs

Mine successly reduced 12.60% last year on same process via Asloca, some points to note:

- needs to be requested at least 3 months prior contract anniversary by recorded letter.

- can only start on anniversary date.

- Regie will often fight it, legal reply 'rent in line with similar in area'

- ASLOCA will issue court request

- Regie will capitulate in almost all cases

- Legal insurance (for eg TCS) will cover all the costs

Rade, Mar 16, 2018 @ 16:31
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

> Regie will often fight it, legal reply 'rent in line with similar in area'

Yeah, the usual bullshit from Régies. According to the Raiffeisen bank, rents in Geneva are overpriced by 40%.

> Regie will often fight it, legal reply 'rent in line with similar in area'

Yeah, the usual bullshit from Régies. According to the Raiffeisen bank, rents in Geneva are overpriced by 40%.

TheOmegaMan, Mar 18, 2018 @ 17:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Go for it everybody. Send them letters all against signature. Until the regies of Geneva respect the law. 

They have to renovate and paint according to a fix schedule and if they do not, then you are allowed to ask for a reduction.

During this process you pay your rent not to the regie, instead you pay it temporarily to asloca.

We do not accept this Geneva trash anymore! 

Go for it everybody. Send them letters all against signature. Until the regies of Geneva respect the law. 

They have to renovate and paint according to a fix schedule and if they do not, then you are allowed to ask for a reduction.

During this process you pay your rent not to the regie, instead you pay it temporarily to asloca.

Jonas M, Mar 18, 2018 @ 17:44
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Mar 18, 18 17:44

I completely agree, and also the the Omega man. Foreigners get blamed for high rent prices, but I don't think too many of us expats are landlord.

Jonas M, do you know where I could find information about apartment maintentance, esp painting?

Thanks!

I completely agree, and also the the Omega man. Foreigners get blamed for high rent prices, but I don't think too many of us expats are landlord.

Jonas M, do you know where I could find information about apartment maintentance, esp painting?

Thanks!

Sean C, Mar 18, 2018 @ 17:47
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

I found this thread, which seems to say different things.

https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/264940-painting-responsibility-before-vacating-apartment.html

Does anyone know if there is some limitation period on painting - ie: is it 8 years before the tenant is not responsible for having the paint in moved-in condition, and is there in fact a pro-rata for years lived?

This the page linked in the post, but I don't know how to read it (even after google translate) or if it is an authoritive source.

https://intern.mieterverband.ch/ldt/objekte.php?Gid=5

https://www.englishforum.ch/housing-general/264940-painting-responsibility-before-vacating-apartment.html

Does anyone know if there is some limitation period on painting - ie: is it 8 years before the tenant is not responsible for having the paint in moved-in condition, and is there in fact a pro-rata for years lived?

This the page linked in the post, but I don't know how to read it (even after google translate) or if it is an authoritive source.

Sean C, Mar 18, 2018 @ 17:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

Mar 18, 18 17:58

This page seems to say 10 years is the lifetime for paint.

https://www.homegate.ch/moving/apartment-handover/preparation/service-life-table

This page seems to say 10 years is the lifetime for paint.

https://www.homegate.ch/moving/apartment-handover/preparation/service-life-table

Sean C, Mar 18, 2018 @ 18:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

https://www.mieterverband.ch/mv/mietrecht-beratung/ratgeber-mietrecht/unterlagen-tools/lebensdauertabelle.html

https://www.mieterverband.ch/mv/mietrecht-beratung/ratgeber-mietrecht/unterlagen-tools/lebensdauertabelle.html

Jonas M, Mar 18, 2018 @ 18:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Also according accounting rules they have to renovate or decrease the value of the property.

Just challenge them and make sure you pay the rent to asloca during the fight. Then you are always safe.

Also according accounting rules they have to renovate or decrease the value of the property.

Just challenge them and make sure you pay the rent to asloca during the fight. Then you are always safe.

Jonas M, Mar 18, 2018 @ 18:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Mar 18, 18 18:05

Thanks Jonas M, I guess I need to talk to ASLOCA. Cheers.

Thanks Jonas M, I guess I need to talk to ASLOCA. Cheers.

Sean C, Mar 18, 2018 @ 18:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

AAlways ... they are powerful

Search for tabelle d'amortissement

AAlways ... they are powerful

Search for tabelle d'amortissement

Jonas M, Mar 18, 2018 @ 18:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

https://www.ch.ch/fr/location-logement-bail/

https://www.ch.ch/fr/location-logement-bail/

Jonas M, Mar 18, 2018 @ 18:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

I ran the Asloca calculator and got to a potential 17% reduction! I'm going to send the letter to the Regie, we'll see what happens. 

I ran the Asloca calculator and got to a potential 17% reduction! I'm going to send the letter to the Regie, we'll see what happens. 

Nir Ofek, Mar 19, 2018 @ 11:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

17% wow!! that's awesome!! Cool

Sean C, Mar 19, 2018 @ 11:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

Mar 19, 18 11:15

For now it's just awesom on paper...(-; Let's see how the 17% does when it's put against the Regie's wall-of-resistance

For now it's just awesom on paper...(-; Let's see how the 17% does when it's put against the Regie's wall-of-resistance

Nir Ofek, Mar 19, 2018 @ 11:33
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

Good luck! Might be worth talking to ASLOCA if there is a big difference. As I understand it the rates of reduction are pretty well fixed.

Good luck! Might be worth talking to ASLOCA if there is a big difference. As I understand it the rates of reduction are pretty well fixed.

Sean C, Mar 19, 2018 @ 11:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 23

Get an asloca membership too. Or la Not expensive. Thé réglé will do nothing because their goal is to earn as much as possible for its client. 

1. Ask for rent reduction due to xy reason and send it post recommandé to the regie. I assume they will say nay.

2. Get asloca membership and ask for a meeting at the nearest asloca office. Then they will allow you to pay your rent due to asloca until you get what you want. 

Get an asloca membership too. Or la Not expensive. Thé réglé will do nothing because their goal is to earn as much as possible for its client. 

1. Ask for rent reduction due to xy reason and send it post recommandé to the regie. I assume they will say nay.

2. Get asloca membership and ask for a meeting at the nearest asloca office. Then they will allow you to pay your rent due to asloca until you get what you want. 

Jonas M, Mar 19, 2018 @ 12:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 24

I have requested a lawyer from Asloca to decrease the price, as the Regie asked for a 10% increase without telling why. The lawyer has definitely intiated the request to the court, by proposing a price decrease more than 30%...it will be soon in April, I keep you guys posted.

Wish everyone good luck in Geneva!

I have requested a lawyer from Asloca to decrease the price, as the Regie asked for a 10% increase without telling why. The lawyer has definitely intiated the request to the court, by proposing a price decrease more than 30%...it will be soon in April, I keep you guys posted.

Jessica G, Mar 19, 2018 @ 12:37
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 25

Mar 19, 18 12:37

ASLOCA rock!

ASLOCA rock!

Sean C, Mar 19, 2018 @ 12:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 26

Your rents normally should move with the " intérêt hypothecaire". It is in your contract for rent.

Below the indicated range you can ask for a reduction and above the window they will impose you a higher rent.

Your rents normally should move with the " intérêt hypothecaire". It is in your contract for rent.

Below the indicated range you can ask for a reduction and above the window they will impose you a higher rent.

Jonas M, Mar 19, 2018 @ 13:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 27

Mar 14, 18 14:46

Hi Sean,

thanks for sharing that, very nice of you!

Hi Sean,

thanks for sharing that, very nice of you!

Kris R, Mar 25, 2018 @ 04:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 28

I sent my letter to the regie about 2 weeks ago and now I got a reply! 

I got a reduction of approx 12% - immediately, without any negotiation!

I just generated the letter from the web and sent it! SUPER EASY!!!

THANK YOU SO SO SO SO SO MUCH!

klaba, May 3, 2018 @ 09:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 29

May 3, 18 09:42

Sean: I think a free dinner is coming your way...

Nir Ofek, May 3, 2018 @ 09:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 30

May 3, 18 09:53

Works for me :-)

Works for me :-)

Sean C, May 3, 2018 @ 10:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 31

Hi NIR. Did u get reduction too. I m curious. Going to Asloca next week 

Sam D, May 3, 2018 @ 18:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 32

May 3, 18 18:23

I was told that I can ask for the reduction only when my current contract is up for renewal, which is next year. Until then, can't touch the price. 

I was told that I can ask for the reduction only when my current contract is up for renewal, which is next year. Until then, can't touch the price. 

Nir Ofek, May 3, 2018 @ 18:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 33

Jan 1, 70 01:00

I asked Asloca the same question. They said that it's illigal for the regie to end someone's rent contract just because that someone asked for a discount, and that the regies know that so they don't mess around with it.

I asked Asloca the same question. They said that it's illigal for the regie to end someone's rent contract just because that someone asked for a discount, and that the regies know that so they don't mess around with it.

Nir Ofek, May 4, 2018 @ 11:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 34

I don't know. I can only say what Asloca told me. 

For me, it's worth the risk and I'll ask for the discount when my contract is up for renewal. If they kick me out, I'll come stay with you for a while. 

I don't know. I can only say what Asloca told me. 

For me, it's worth the risk and I'll ask for the discount when my contract is up for renewal. If they kick me out, I'll come stay with you for a while. 

Nir Ofek, May 4, 2018 @ 15:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 35

In my case, I didn’t know when my contract was up for a renewal. I just sent the letter to the regie (Asloca) and they replied to me agreeing with the reduction, starting from the contract anniversary, i.e. 3 months in the future.

Can you mention the name of the regie?

Thanks

In my case, I didn’t know when my contract was up for a renewal. I just sent the letter to the regie (Asloca) and they replied to me agreeing with the reduction, starting from the contract anniversary, i.e. 3 months in the future.

Can you mention the name of the regie?

Thanks

klaba, May 4, 2018 @ 15:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 36

I meant the name of the regie is Apleona (not Asloca)

I meant the name of the regie is Apleona (not Asloca)

klaba, May 4, 2018 @ 15:15
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 37

This is the same Regie for me, I did more or less like you, when they asked originally for a 15% increase I simply asked by email, and without any negotiating they dropped the price to a 5% increase. Now, Asloca is helping me to get back to 0 increase or even a lower price. Really a nightmare.

This is the same Regie for me, I did more or less like you, when they asked originally for a 15% increase I simply asked by email, and without any negotiating they dropped the price to a 5% increase. Now, Asloca is helping me to get back to 0 increase or even a lower price. Really a nightmare.

Jessica G, May 4, 2018 @ 15:36
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 38

> let's say that yoour contract ends in 3 months, regie can decide to not get it renewed for x,y,z reasons, what's then?

You can always challenge the reasons of non-renewal in front of a court. And since you asked for a rent reduction in the past, the judge will call bullshit on these reasons. Therefore doing a "contestation de loyer" actually protects you.

> let's say that yoour contract ends in 3 months, regie can decide to not get it renewed for x,y,z reasons, what's then?

You can always challenge the reasons of non-renewal in front of a court. And since you asked for a rent reduction in the past, the judge will call bullshit on these reasons. Therefore doing a "contestation de loyer" actually protects you.

TheOmegaMan, May 4, 2018 @ 19:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 39

Is there some special reason, or is it simply because of the change in interest rates and cost of living (index de prix à la consommation)? You seemed to imply that it affected Geneva only ...

Is there some special reason, or is it simply because of the change in interest rates and cost of living (index de prix à la consommation)? You seemed to imply that it affected Geneva only ...

ajimenezp, May 5, 2018 @ 19:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 40

May 3, 18 09:42

What is your regie?

What is your regie?

anushka, May 6, 2018 @ 18:04
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 41

Does anyone has an experience with regie SPG ?

anushka, May 6, 2018 @ 18:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 42

Best is to confirm with Asloca. 

But from what I understood, the reduction is linked to your contract, not to whether the contract is signed via a Regie or directly with the owner. 

Most contracts state that your rent is adjusted on certain periods based on some cost-of-living index and on interest rates. These indexes went down in recent years, so all Asloca's letter does is ask the landlord to comply with the contract and to lower the rent accordingly. So it doesn't matter if there's a regie or not. What matters is what your contract says. 

Best is to confirm with Asloca. 

But from what I understood, the reduction is linked to your contract, not to whether the contract is signed via a Regie or directly with the owner. 

Most contracts state that your rent is adjusted on certain periods based on some cost-of-living index and on interest rates. These indexes went down in recent years, so all Asloca's letter does is ask the landlord to comply with the contract and to lower the rent accordingly. So it doesn't matter if there's a regie or not. What matters is what your contract says. 

Nir Ofek, May 10, 2018 @ 10:12
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 43

I had contract for 2015 to 2016. I m living and paying rent still in same appartment. I don't know if it applies to me.

I had contract for 2015 to 2016. I m living and paying rent still in same appartment. I don't know if it applies to me.

Sam D, May 12, 2018 @ 11:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 44

May 6, 18 18:06

I am with SPG. I just sent the letter produced by ASLOCA about two weeks ago requesting a reduction of about 9% and they I received their response today saying that, according to their calculations, they will only decrease 3%.

All the best for everyone and thanks for sharing the link and experience. 

I am with SPG. I just sent the letter produced by ASLOCA about two weeks ago requesting a reduction of about 9% and they I received their response today saying that, according to their calculations, they will only decrease 3%.

Hussein A, Jul 10, 2018 @ 14:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 45

Jul 10, 18 14:05

Sean: I smell another free dinner coming your way...

Nir Ofek, Jul 10, 2018 @ 14:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 46

Jul 10, 18 14:09

Looking forward to it :-)

Looking forward to it :-)

Sean C, Jul 10, 2018 @ 14:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 47

Jul 10, 18 14:05

Hi Hussein,

That's quite a difference. If I were you I'd drop into ASLOCA and show them the letter.

Good luck,

Sean

Hi Hussein,

That's quite a difference. If I were you I'd drop into ASLOCA and show them the letter.

Good luck,

Sean

Sean C, Jul 10, 2018 @ 14:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
47 Replies | 3237 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form