Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Renting Appartment problem

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Renting Appartment problem

Hello everybody!

I have a problem regarding an appartment subrent.

We found a one-year subrent, signed it and prepaid. After that we have occaionally found that person who subrenting it to us don't want officially assure this contract with real estate company, because, as he said, they wouldn't allow such a long subrent. We said ok.

But I asked him to show me his own contract with landlord. He sent me the copy, but all charges in this paper were shadowed in a way that you cannot see it. When I asked him to send a normal contract he refused.

What shall I think about it? Why he is refusing it? Can I trust this person? What hidden dangers I can expect? What shall I do with it?

The text you are quoting:

Hello everybody!

I have a problem regarding an appartment subrent.

We found a one-year subrent, signed it and prepaid. After that we have occaionally found that person who subrenting it to us don't want officially assure this contract with real estate company, because, as he said, they wouldn't allow such a long subrent. We said ok.

But I asked him to show me his own contract with landlord. He sent me the copy, but all charges in this paper were shadowed in a way that you cannot see it. When I asked him to send a normal contract he refused.

What shall I think about it? Why he is refusing it? Can I trust this person? What hidden dangers I can expect? What shall I do with it?

Liubov DSep 30, 2014 @ 13:39
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1165 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Renting Appartment problem
Post 1

Hi there, Liuba. Sorry to hear of your troubles. I suggest you get advice from ASLOCA, an association that defends tenants here in Geneva. http://www.asloca.ch/qui-sommes-nous

Hi there, Liuba. Sorry to hear of your troubles. I suggest you get advice from ASLOCA, an association that defends tenants here in Geneva. http://www.asloca.ch/qui-sommes-nous

Sandra-Lynne J, Sep 30, 2014 @ 17:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Your landlord most probably wants to hide that he makes a profit between the rent he pays to the owner and the rent you pay to him. Even for a furnished flat, the increase should not be over 15%. Be aware that you have the right to challenge the amount of the rent before the Commission de conciliation en matière de baux et loyers within 30 days after the beginning of your lease.

Your landlord most probably wants to hide that he makes a profit between the rent he pays to the owner and the rent you pay to him. Even for a furnished flat, the increase should not be over 15%. Be aware that you have the right to challenge the amount of the rent before the Commission de conciliation en matière de baux et loyers within 30 days after the beginning of your lease.

Alexandre P, Sep 30, 2014 @ 17:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Alexandre, can you explain me about this comission please?

And will my contract be official (cause it is not assured with real estate company) or not?

Or maybe when they will figure out they will just make me leave appartment?

And thanx Sandra and Alexandre for your advises.

Alexandre, can you explain me about this comission please?

And will my contract be official (cause it is not assured with real estate company) or not?

Or maybe when they will figure out they will just make me leave appartment?

And thanx Sandra and Alexandre for your advises.

Liubov D, Sep 30, 2014 @ 18:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Aslong as you are not officialy renting the appartment with a contract, I think you have no rights. The regie could take back the appartment and put it back on the market, where "everyone" will have a chance to obtain it.

Like someone said, check with ASLOCA. Think of a scenario where you already rented it a few months. It will probably give you a much better chance to keep it for the real rent.

Aslong as you are not officialy renting the appartment with a contract, I think you have no rights. The regie could take back the appartment and put it back on the market, where "everyone" will have a chance to obtain it.

Like someone said, check with ASLOCA. Think of a scenario where you already rented it a few months. It will probably give you a much better chance to keep it for the real rent.

ThomasNL, Sep 30, 2014 @ 20:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1165 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form