Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > SBB Half-fare card: Consequences of non-payment

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
SBB Half-fare card: Consequences of non-payment

Hello all

I had a SBB half-fare card for the past one year, which got automatically renewed since I hadn't informed them about my intention to cancel. At the same time, my phone contract with Salt expires in January and I'm looking to shift to Sunrise, which has a pretty sweet offer of subsidising the Half-fare card by 50% (so I'll be paying 82.5 instead of 165 CHF). 

Since it would be most profitable for me to renew the Half-fare card to coincide with the new Sunrise contract from January, I'm wondering about the kind of repurcussions I should expect if I don't pay the SBB Half-fare amount immediately- they've written to me reminding me of the due payment but it doesn't mention any penalty for late payment or any other penalty. Has anyone had experience with this, not paying the Half-fare amount immediately and paying it a few months later? 

P.S. I do not possess the renewed Half-fare card, they haven't sent it to me.

The text you are quoting:

Hello all

I had a SBB half-fare card for the past one year, which got automatically renewed since I hadn't informed them about my intention to cancel. At the same time, my phone contract with Salt expires in January and I'm looking to shift to Sunrise, which has a pretty sweet offer of subsidising the Half-fare card by 50% (so I'll be paying 82.5 instead of 165 CHF). 

Since it would be most profitable for me to renew the Half-fare card to coincide with the new Sunrise contract from January, I'm wondering about the kind of repurcussions I should expect if I don't pay the SBB Half-fare amount immediately- they've written to me reminding me of the due payment but it doesn't mention any penalty for late payment or any other penalty. Has anyone had experience with this, not paying the Half-fare amount immediately and paying it a few months later? 

P.S. I do not possess the renewed Half-fare card, they haven't sent it to me.

Siddhant MarurOct 28, 2017 @ 19:45
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

5 Replies | 1689 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: SBB Half-fare card: Consequences of non-payment
Post 1

I haven’t had the exact experience you describe but what I do know is that you should write to the CFF to cancel your half-price pass without delay.  If you don’t, you will receive a flood of reminders.  That’s what happened to me until I wrote to say, in no uncertain terms, that their offer was no longer of any use or interest.

That said, I don’t see why you can’t cancel the pass now (don’t delay!) and then take up a more interesting offer later.

But maybe others will disagree.

However, you do have to check that the Sunrise offer doesn’t have any renewable strings attached to it or, say, what might happen if you leave CH earlier than planned, etc.

Best wishes, R.

I haven’t had the exact experience you describe but what I do know is that you should write to the CFF to cancel your half-price pass without delay.  If you don’t, you will receive a flood of reminders.  That’s what happened to me until I wrote to say, in no uncertain terms, that their offer was no longer of any use or interest.

That said, I don’t see why you can’t cancel the pass now (don’t delay!) and then take up a more interesting offer later.

But maybe others will disagree.

However, you do have to check that the Sunrise offer doesn’t have any renewable strings attached to it or, say, what might happen if you leave CH earlier than planned, etc.

Best wishes, R.

Ritchie, Oct 28, 2017 @ 20:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Thank you for the response Ritchie. 

Well I don't want to cancel it because I know I'll find uses for it down the line, but if I can get it at a much cheaper rate then I can do without it for the next couple of months (I'm a student, so 80 chf off is a lot- a week or more's worth of groceries). If I cancel it now and take it up later I gotta pay 200chf instead of the current 160. 

I'm concerned about writing to them since it might make them more proactive about it. And honestly if a flood of reminders is as bad as it gets I believe I can take it haha. 

You're spot on about the Sunrise offer- I'll do a little more homework on that before jumping in. 

Best

Thank you for the response Ritchie. 

Well I don't want to cancel it because I know I'll find uses for it down the line, but if I can get it at a much cheaper rate then I can do without it for the next couple of months (I'm a student, so 80 chf off is a lot- a week or more's worth of groceries). If I cancel it now and take it up later I gotta pay 200chf instead of the current 160. 

I'm concerned about writing to them since it might make them more proactive about it. And honestly if a flood of reminders is as bad as it gets I believe I can take it haha. 

You're spot on about the Sunrise offer- I'll do a little more homework on that before jumping in. 

Best

Siddhant Marur, Oct 28, 2017 @ 20:35
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Also check if there's any deadline on the Sunrise offer.  It may only be available for a limited period.

Sunrise has its fans but it's not Father Christmas.

Also check if there's any deadline on the Sunrise offer.  It may only be available for a limited period.

Sunrise has its fans but it's not Father Christmas.

Ritchie, Oct 28, 2017 @ 21:23
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

I don't know about contacting SBB but it might be best to contact both them and Sunrise, since Sunrise offers the Half-Fare card both as a new and a renewed card. As far as I know,  there is no deadline on the Sunrise offer, it's part of several of their Freedom mobile packages. (I signed up for one of these packages and have already used the Half-Fare card several times.) That said, you have to stay with Sunrise for at least a year (you can change the package though) in order to pay off the card; they add an amount to your phone bill each month.

I don't know about contacting SBB but it might be best to contact both them and Sunrise, since Sunrise offers the Half-Fare card both as a new and a renewed card. As far as I know,  there is no deadline on the Sunrise offer, it's part of several of their Freedom mobile packages. (I signed up for one of these packages and have already used the Half-Fare card several times.) That said, you have to stay with Sunrise for at least a year (you can change the package though) in order to pay off the card; they add an amount to your phone bill each month.

Malika K, Nov 3, 2017 @ 12:41
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Thank you for the reply Malika.

Yep I was aware that the Sunrise offer has been around for a while and happened to read up on the contract duration and conditions, especiialy after Ritchie's response(s). I appreciate the information anyhow. 

I'm not sure how contacting both of them would help though, could you elaborate?

Thank you for the reply Malika.

Yep I was aware that the Sunrise offer has been around for a while and happened to read up on the contract duration and conditions, especiialy after Ritchie's response(s). I appreciate the information anyhow. 

I'm not sure how contacting both of them would help though, could you elaborate?

Siddhant Marur, Nov 3, 2017 @ 12:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
5 Replies | 1689 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form