Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > SKY HD Encoder + viewing card in Geneva.

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
SKY HD Encoder + viewing card in Geneva.
Hi,I'm trying to get one new UK Sky TV subscription in Geneva,does anyone know where I can find a good price and good service for it.any suggestions would be appreciated,RgdsJohn
The text you are quoting:
Hi,I'm trying to get one new UK Sky TV subscription in Geneva,does anyone know where I can find a good price and good service for it.any suggestions would be appreciated,RgdsJohn
ja_nixonSep 28, 2009 @ 09:48
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

22 Replies | 5366 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: SKY HD Encoder + viewing card in Geneva.
Post 1
 I researched this a while back.

Satel Service 

Satellite television service, sales and installation. Telephone inquiries from 14:30-20:00 on (0)22 901 04 15 or visit the office at 145, rue de Lausanne, 1202 Geneva.   

Not cheap at all.

Expect it to be expensive. Cheapest means is to register one in the UK and bring it over. You can easily install it yourself.

Regards,

I researched this a while back.

Satel Service 

Satellite television service, sales and installation. Telephone inquiries from 14:30-20:00 on (0)22 901 04 15 or visit the office at 145, rue de Lausanne, 1202 Geneva.   

Not cheap at all.

Expect it to be expensive. Cheapest means is to register one in the UK and bring it over. You can easily install it yourself.

Regards,

wallstbanker, Sep 29, 2009 @ 20:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
 What ballpark are we talking when you say not cheap?
 What ballpark are we talking when you say not cheap?
Andy H, Sep 30, 2009 @ 00:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
 If you live in Switzerland I would go for the bluewinTV option for either 19CHF or 29CHF per month (like a SKY+ recording device) as they have all the English channels you might possibly want, especially if from the UK ie. BBC1,2,3,4 ITV1,2,3,4 Channel&Film4, Channel5 etc. etc. It destroys the need for satellite in my opinion and you can even order Champion League matches!
 If you live in Switzerland I would go for the bluewinTV option for either 19CHF or 29CHF per month (like a SKY+ recording device) as they have all the English channels you might possibly want, especially if from the UK ie. BBC1,2,3,4 ITV1,2,3,4 Channel&Film4, Channel5 etc. etc. It destroys the need for satellite in my opinion and you can even order Champion League matches!

hosehead, Sep 30, 2009 @ 02:05
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
 Hi,

The Channels you (hosehead) mentioned, most of them are available with a 100 frank simple satellite receiver.
If John has already a receiver, he can try with dual LNB following sattelites @ 28.2°:

Eurobird 1

Astra 2A

Astra 2B

Astra 2D

Try link below for the complete list of channels:

http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html

(click on above mentioned satellites)

Good luck!

(Kamran)
 Hi,

The Channels you (hosehead) mentioned, most of them are available with a 100 frank simple satellite receiver.
If John has already a receiver, he can try with dual LNB following sattelites @ 28.2°:

Eurobird 1

Astra 2A

Astra 2B

Astra 2D

Try link below for the complete list of channels:

http://www.lyngsat.com/europe.html

(click on above mentioned satellites)

Good luck!

(Kamran)
sahiwalia, Sep 30, 2009 @ 02:34
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
 A cheaper option that Satel is Terry at http://www.haseurope.com/

I brought over the HD box and card from the UK and Terry did the rest.

Alternatively he can also provide all the equipment....

Good luck.
 A cheaper option that Satel is Terry at http://www.haseurope.com/

I brought over the HD box and card from the UK and Terry did the rest.

Alternatively he can also provide all the equipment....

Good luck.
Feehary, Sep 30, 2009 @ 10:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
I'm very impressed with the above tips and comments thanks a lot guys,I was thinking
about the bluewin but unfortunately I've already taken the sunrise with free internet (two years
contract) thus I can't take the bluewin for two years as i don't have the swisscom
contract, * well I don't have the satellite disc receiver or encoder, if I have to
buy everything it's gonna cost me a lot I guess, getting them from UK ( obviously for free or
with less price like 49 pounds for HD BOX) it's good Idea but still too much
work, this link http://www.haseurope.com/ sounds interesting gonna
check out with them and let see it's work out,also special thanks for the Geneva
office address from color="#FF6600">  target="_blank" href="http://www.glocals.com/members/member_profile/17706" style="font-size: 12px; font-
weight: normal; text-decoration: underline; ">wallstbanker
  gonna go and check it out
too.
Best rgds.John
I'm very impressed with the above tips and comments thanks a lot guys,I was thinking
about the bluewin but unfortunately I've already taken the sunrise with free internet (two years
contract) thus I can't take the bluewin for two years as i don't have the swisscom
contract, * well I don't have the satellite disc receiver or encoder, if I have to
buy everything it's gonna cost me a lot I guess, getting them from UK ( obviously for free or
with less price like 49 pounds for HD BOX) it's good Idea but still too much
work, this link http://www.haseurope.com/ sounds interesting gonna
check out with them and let see it's work out,also special thanks for the Geneva
office address from color="#FF6600">  target="_blank" href="http://www.glocals.com/members/member_profile/17706" style="font-size: 12px; font-
weight: normal; text-decoration: underline; ">wallstbanker
  gonna go and check it out
too.
Best rgds.John

ja_nixon, Oct 1, 2009 @ 10:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
 hi, i have all you need to recieve all the free channels mentioned above (not sky) i have an HD receiver, dish and mount. the receiver also has a usb connection to use with a memory stick for recording. i don't use it anymore, but for your needs it would be perfect. for watching the tv shows from sky, like films or "lost" , "24" or "House" they can all be downloaded legally from the graboid.com website a day after they are shown on usa tv.
you could have the dish, mount, HD satellite receicer and LNB for 600 sfr. but, you need to have a clear view to the south east from a balcony or terrace. no trees or buildings blocking the view.
cheers,
roger
 hi, i have all you need to recieve all the free channels mentioned above (not sky) i have an HD receiver, dish and mount. the receiver also has a usb connection to use with a memory stick for recording. i don't use it anymore, but for your needs it would be perfect. for watching the tv shows from sky, like films or "lost" , "24" or "House" they can all be downloaded legally from the graboid.com website a day after they are shown on usa tv.
you could have the dish, mount, HD satellite receicer and LNB for 600 sfr. but, you need to have a clear view to the south east from a balcony or terrace. no trees or buildings blocking the view.
cheers,
roger

epicure, Oct 1, 2009 @ 11:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
 Thanks for the offer Roger, I've just spoken to haseurope and it's seems quiet cheep,
they charge 350EUR for Sky HD encoder and 50 EUR for dish and then the monthly charge it
depends upon the package I choose, for me it's sounds good, thinking of getting this
deal.hopefully I can install my self if I hire the signal test equipment, they will offer it for 50
EUR per week, so I guess it will work out. 
 Thanks for the offer Roger, I've just spoken to haseurope and it's seems quiet cheep,
they charge 350EUR for Sky HD encoder and 50 EUR for dish and then the monthly charge it
depends upon the package I choose, for me it's sounds good, thinking of getting this
deal.hopefully I can install my self if I hire the signal test equipment, they will offer it for 50
EUR per week, so I guess it will work out. 
ja_nixon, Oct 1, 2009 @ 18:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Hi everyone,

we are living in france (between annecy and geneva)can anyone give us some advice on how to get some english channels!we already have french canalsat 1 dish and decoder this is on astra 1,we have a second dish and just a cheap decoder, for the last 2 weekends my husband has tried to get this sorted with no luck(he thinks its the cheap decoder that wont work)he connected the new dish (pointing to astra 2,we think it came up sky!!)to canalsat and it locked ,searched for the channels then wouldnt keep them,can anyone help please please please i really need some english tv for christmas!!will be happy with just the free ones BBc etc

thanks everyone

suzie

Hi everyone,

we are living in france (between annecy and geneva)can anyone give us some advice on how to get some english channels!we already have french canalsat 1 dish and decoder this is on astra 1,we have a second dish and just a cheap decoder, for the last 2 weekends my husband has tried to get this sorted with no luck(he thinks its the cheap decoder that wont work)he connected the new dish (pointing to astra 2,we think it came up sky!!)to canalsat and it locked ,searched for the channels then wouldnt keep them,can anyone help please please please i really need some english tv for christmas!!will be happy with just the free ones BBc etc

thanks everyone

suzie

suzie, Nov 30, 2009 @ 14:49
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I have been using SKY here for 6 years. Satel were the first people I went to and was burned badly. The guy had the modem dialling out to SKY every 3 minutes so was getting a HUGE telecom bill. Service also sucked - still now he has staff in his shop on Rte de Lausanne every day things may have improved.

Since then there is HAS Europe (website below). They have a display in Jims English Supermarket near St Genis (Across the Border).

Jims is also a great place to get crumpets, bacon, sausages and all that lovely comfort food that after 6 months you will miss. Although cheddar is now available in MIGROS France and it is good. Sorry got hungry and digressed.

They charge 100 Euros per year to manage your account (since it is less than illegal for SKY to be received outside of the UK). You can order equipment from them for the decoder etc and dish, however I found that the cheapest option is to look online and order direct from the UK. HAS Europe can then install it all for you.

The last SKY+ box I ordered cost me about £100 and took 7 days to get to me from the UK.

http://www.haseurope.com/

Good luck and I hope Happy Viewing.

I have been using SKY here for 6 years. Satel were the first people I went to and was burned badly. The guy had the modem dialling out to SKY every 3 minutes so was getting a HUGE telecom bill. Service also sucked - still now he has staff in his shop on Rte de Lausanne every day things may have improved.

Since then there is HAS Europe (website below). They have a display in Jims English Supermarket near St Genis (Across the Border).

Jims is also a great place to get crumpets, bacon, sausages and all that lovely comfort food that after 6 months you will miss. Although cheddar is now available in MIGROS France and it is good. Sorry got hungry and digressed.

They charge 100 Euros per year to manage your account (since it is less than illegal for SKY to be received outside of the UK). You can order equipment from them for the decoder etc and dish, however I found that the cheapest option is to look online and order direct from the UK. HAS Europe can then install it all for you.

The last SKY+ box I ordered cost me about £100 and took 7 days to get to me from the UK.

Neil M, Dec 1, 2009 @ 16:08
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

Dec 1, 09 16:08

I dont think the Jimstore is open anymore, I have been to there about month ago it was closed and it looked like permanatly.

I dont think the Jimstore is open anymore, I have been to there about month ago it was closed and it looked like permanatly.

ja_nixon, Dec 1, 2009 @ 22:20
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12

For sure Jims is still open. I was due to pick up my latest sky card from there last weekend. I know his opening times are a little odd.

On Saturday he is open from around 10 and sundays between either 10 - 12 or 11-1pm can't quite remember.

For sure Jims is still open. I was due to pick up my latest sky card from there last weekend. I know his opening times are a little odd.

On Saturday he is open from around 10 and sundays between either 10 - 12 or 11-1pm can't quite remember.

Neil M, Dec 2, 2009 @ 08:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13

ok a trip to jims this weekend is called for,might have fish and chips while we're there!!!!!Thanks everyone for helping,now i know we do need a digibox!christmas pressie from hubby to me sussed!!!!

ok a trip to jims this weekend is called for,might have fish and chips while we're there!!!!!Thanks everyone for helping,now i know we do need a digibox!christmas pressie from hubby to me sussed!!!!

suzie, Dec 2, 2009 @ 10:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14

I will also visit this weekend too, Thanks for the infor Neil ;)

I will also visit this weekend too, Thanks for the infor Neil ;)

ja_nixon, Dec 2, 2009 @ 19:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15

Hope it all works out well. Just been to Jims and bought some Crumpets (Brit delicacy). Saw that he has some Sky cards you can buy over the counter.

Even better than when i got mine.

Hope it all works out well. Just been to Jims and bought some Crumpets (Brit delicacy). Saw that he has some Sky cards you can buy over the counter.

Even better than when i got mine.

Neil M, Dec 6, 2009 @ 18:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16

Hï,

Do you still have the decoder?

Rao

Hï,

Do you still have the decoder?

Rao

rao parathnandh, May 24, 2010 @ 14:54
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Thank you, do they supply the freesat cards as well. They are closed on Monday and Tuesday otherwise I would have called them directly.

Thank you, do they supply the freesat cards as well. They are closed on Monday and Tuesday otherwise I would have called them directly.

rao parathnandh, May 24, 2010 @ 16:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18

Can you give a more detailde address of that Jims shop?

Frank B, May 24, 2010 @ 19:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19

May 24, 10 19:50

They are in St.Genis ( a small village between Ferney-Voltaire and Thoiry). Here is their website:

http://www.jims-british-market.com/

They are in St.Genis ( a small village between Ferney-Voltaire and Thoiry). Here is their website:

http://www.jims-british-market.com/

Molula_M, May 24, 2010 @ 20:18
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Hello,

I have been watching Sky foyears here and have pretty much tried out all of them.

Jims market or HASEUROPE is ok but the customer service could be better and if you ever have a problem you can be waiting days or weeks for an answer. Plus the install they did was terrible. NO care taken at all and they were pratically running to get it done as quick as possible and get out. Not very impressed at all.

Same with Satel and JayJay Solutions or SKydigitaltv.com, great at selling you everything but never answer the phone afterwards!!!!

I recently contacted a company based here in Geneva called Williams Services and bought a box and card off them. They came to install it too and what an amaing job they did. I have never seen such a neat satellite install before. The guy who came was really nice and friendly and showed me how it all worked.

Plus they answer emails super quick and always answer the phone which is what you want when your paying someone to run your Sky account for you . After all that is why they charge us per annum for the card.

I would reccomend checking out www.williams-services.ch and contacting them to see how they can help setting you up with Sky.

GOOD LUCK

Hello,

I have been watching Sky foyears here and have pretty much tried out all of them.

Jims market or HASEUROPE is ok but the customer service could be better and if you ever have a problem you can be waiting days or weeks for an answer. Plus the install they did was terrible. NO care taken at all and they were pratically running to get it done as quick as possible and get out. Not very impressed at all.

Same with Satel and JayJay Solutions or SKydigitaltv.com, great at selling you everything but never answer the phone afterwards!!!!

I recently contacted a company based here in Geneva called Williams Services and bought a box and card off them. They came to install it too and what an amaing job they did. I have never seen such a neat satellite install before. The guy who came was really nice and friendly and showed me how it all worked.

Plus they answer emails super quick and always answer the phone which is what you want when your paying someone to run your Sky account for you . After all that is why they charge us per annum for the card.

I would reccomend checking out www.williams-services.ch and contacting them to see how they can help setting you up with Sky.

GOOD LUCK

David Smith, Jan 26, 2011 @ 20:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21

I had Williams come out and give me a quote to change out my single LNB and install a quad LNB and run another cable down for my HD recorder. He wanted over 800chf to do the install. Just for the extra wire and his labor, as I was going to provide the quad LNB.

I know he does quality work, but his rates are a bit too high for me,

I had Williams come out and give me a quote to change out my single LNB and install a quad LNB and run another cable down for my HD recorder. He wanted over 800chf to do the install. Just for the extra wire and his labor, as I was going to provide the quad LNB.

I know he does quality work, but his rates are a bit too high for me,

intlrep1, Jan 28, 2011 @ 16:55
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 22

I had them install a dish in my apartment. The guy put it on a patio floor mount tucked away in the corner and glued all his cables nicely. I was well impressed with the job.

He only charged me around 300 something for the install and 200 for the dish.

To be honest paying a little extra is well worth it if you want a professional job done and not just some guy with a compass aligning your dish and drilling holes through your walls and making a right mess that you'll be left to sort out when you move.

The engineer I had was called Daryl I think and fairplay to him he takes pride in his work and does a great job.

AT LAST A RELIABLE, PROFESSIONAL COMPANY FOR SKY TV !!!!!!  Smile

I had them install a dish in my apartment. The guy put it on a patio floor mount tucked away in the corner and glued all his cables nicely. I was well impressed with the job.

He only charged me around 300 something for the install and 200 for the dish.

To be honest paying a little extra is well worth it if you want a professional job done and not just some guy with a compass aligning your dish and drilling holes through your walls and making a right mess that you'll be left to sort out when you move.

The engineer I had was called Daryl I think and fairplay to him he takes pride in his work and does a great job.

AT LAST A RELIABLE, PROFESSIONAL COMPANY FOR SKY TV !!!!!!  Smile

David Smith, Jan 30, 2011 @ 12:07
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
22 Replies | 5366 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form