Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Second hand cars in france

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Second hand cars in france

We are looking for a cheap second hand car. We live in Ferney and can't seem to find anything. We have looked at all the local car dealers who only have a few cars and they are all way over our budget. We have been using ParuVendu but my French is rubbish and too scared to buy a car when the seller doesn't understand english!! There seems to be quite a few dealerships near Annemasse that do cheaper cars but none the Ferney side. We have no car so it is really difficult to get across there on public transport.

Does anyone know any cheap car dealership on the Ferney side of France? Is it more expensive to get a car in Switzerland and register it in France? There have a number of swiss cars that are in our budget on glocals but presume that that is a very expensive way of getting a car.

Any advice welcomed Smile

The text you are quoting:

We are looking for a cheap second hand car. We live in Ferney and can't seem to find anything. We have looked at all the local car dealers who only have a few cars and they are all way over our budget. We have been using ParuVendu but my French is rubbish and too scared to buy a car when the seller doesn't understand english!! There seems to be quite a few dealerships near Annemasse that do cheaper cars but none the Ferney side. We have no car so it is really difficult to get across there on public transport.

Does anyone know any cheap car dealership on the Ferney side of France? Is it more expensive to get a car in Switzerland and register it in France? There have a number of swiss cars that are in our budget on glocals but presume that that is a very expensive way of getting a car.

Any advice welcomed Smile

grania BJul 31, 11 22:04
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

10 Replies | 1711 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Second hand cars in france
Post 1

You should not be limited on looking only used cars shops that are next door.  Get a taxi or ask someone to bring you to Annemasse or anywhere else in France.  I also strongly recommend that you get help in the purchase from a friend who is fluent in French.

Check also new car dealers, often they have "occasions" of their same brand.

Buying a car abroad involves a lot more paperwork, and makes sense only if you can save money in the process.  Since you live in France, you shouldn't even consider buying a car in Switzerland (especially in Geneva where used cars are more expensive).

You should not be limited on looking only used cars shops that are next door.  Get a taxi or ask someone to bring you to Annemasse or anywhere else in France.  I also strongly recommend that you get help in the purchase from a friend who is fluent in French.

Check also new car dealers, often they have "occasions" of their same brand.

Buying a car abroad involves a lot more paperwork, and makes sense only if you can save money in the process.  Since you live in France, you shouldn't even consider buying a car in Switzerland (especially in Geneva where used cars are more expensive).

TheOmegaMan, Jul 31, 11 23:22
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi, I live in lovely Ferney...... Welcome to you!

Last week I was tempted by an amazing car offer in Geneva... (which in the end I will not buy) but in the meantime, found out how to go about it.... Here it goes:

1) Visit at the French Custom Office at the main border crossing (where bus F goes). They have all the info, speak English and have it printed also.

2) First question asked - Is the car to be purchased: European ? or non-European?

European ... person selling the car -and- buyer to complete FORM A... Non-European car... Form B

3)  Visit the Swiss Customs office to pick up form A or B.

4) Obtain temporary plates from Prefecture in GEX.

5) Bring the car to the border to be viewed by customs officers, at Customs Office Opening Hours -(7h30 am to 12 -and- 2pm to 5pm)

6) Buy the car insurance ***

7) Car must pass French 'Control Technique'

8) Car must be 'homologated' /certified by Car manufacturer dealer in France

9)  Pay the usual French taxes on purchase (19.60%) on the value shown on the invoice; or according to the 'Argus' quotation.

10) Exchange the temporary plates for the permanent ones.

11) ... and finally... Enjoy!

*** about the car insurance.

It reminded me of my first time, first car I bought here in Ferney. May I strongly advise that you already enquire with any insurance broker how much it would cost you, based on your budget. For my first -used- car I had to pay over Euro-2500/year, despite my +20 years old driving licence.

Hope this helps

cheers
Sary

Hi, I live in lovely Ferney...... Welcome to you!

Last week I was tempted by an amazing car offer in Geneva... (which in the end I will not buy) but in the meantime, found out how to go about it.... Here it goes:

1) Visit at the French Custom Office at the main border crossing (where bus F goes). They have all the info, speak English and have it printed also.

2) First question asked - Is the car to be purchased: European ? or non-European?

European ... person selling the car -and- buyer to complete FORM A... Non-European car... Form B

3)  Visit the Swiss Customs office to pick up form A or B.

4) Obtain temporary plates from Prefecture in GEX.

5) Bring the car to the border to be viewed by customs officers, at Customs Office Opening Hours -(7h30 am to 12 -and- 2pm to 5pm)

6) Buy the car insurance ***

7) Car must pass French 'Control Technique'

8) Car must be 'homologated' /certified by Car manufacturer dealer in France

9)  Pay the usual French taxes on purchase (19.60%) on the value shown on the invoice; or according to the 'Argus' quotation.

10) Exchange the temporary plates for the permanent ones.

11) ... and finally... Enjoy!

*** about the car insurance.

It reminded me of my first time, first car I bought here in Ferney. May I strongly advise that you already enquire with any insurance broker how much it would cost you, based on your budget. For my first -used- car I had to pay over Euro-2500/year, despite my +20 years old driving licence.

Hope this helps

cheers
Sary

nomades, Aug 1, 11 08:14
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

I should like to share that in the beginning, I rented a car.

You could try renting for 1 month, for example, while you explore.

There is in Ferney AUTOHIRE. Excellent service & very good prices.

I recommend them anytime!

cheers
Sary

I should like to share that in the beginning, I rented a car.

You could try renting for 1 month, for example, while you explore.

There is in Ferney AUTOHIRE. Excellent service & very good prices.

I recommend them anytime!

cheers
Sary

nomades, Aug 1, 11 08:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

Yes, second-hand cars are overpriced in the Ferney / pays-de-Gex area, and you should definitely look at buying elsewhere in France. Annemasse has some dealerships, and Lyon has loads with much better prices than Ferney.

Sary's suggestion to rent a car is a very good idea, it takes the pressure off so you can keep an eye on Paru Vendu for a while, and gives you the mobility to shop around.

Yes, second-hand cars are overpriced in the Ferney / pays-de-Gex area, and you should definitely look at buying elsewhere in France. Annemasse has some dealerships, and Lyon has loads with much better prices than Ferney.

Sary's suggestion to rent a car is a very good idea, it takes the pressure off so you can keep an eye on Paru Vendu for a while, and gives you the mobility to shop around.

adam_jeff, Aug 1, 11 10:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hey, went through this process not 2 months ago. yes cars are over priced but its because we are so close to Switzerland. We ended up buying a little Fiat for an ok price from Bodin Auto in Gex. 

I would recommend him as he speaks fluent english and took care of all the paperwork, CT etc. All I had to do was part with cash and then get some insurance online with the help of google chrome and the insurance operator who spoke english.Yes a little more expensive, but he does give guarantees and he is close by if anything goes wrong.

here is the link to Mr Bodin's autos via autoscout.fr.

http://www.autoscout24.fr/CustomerArticles.aspx?cid=1928842&asrc=197976156&aid=197976156

i am even considering buying a second car from him for the winter.

Happy shopping.

Kevin

Hey, went through this process not 2 months ago. yes cars are over priced but its because we are so close to Switzerland. We ended up buying a little Fiat for an ok price from Bodin Auto in Gex. 

I would recommend him as he speaks fluent english and took care of all the paperwork, CT etc. All I had to do was part with cash and then get some insurance online with the help of google chrome and the insurance operator who spoke english.Yes a little more expensive, but he does give guarantees and he is close by if anything goes wrong.

here is the link to Mr Bodin's autos via autoscout.fr.

http://www.autoscout24.fr/CustomerArticles.aspx?cid=1928842&asrc=197976156&aid=197976156

i am even considering buying a second car from him for the winter.

Happy shopping.

Kevin

Kevin M, Aug 1, 11 14:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I will hire a car for a month or so to take the pressure off!

Kevin, does your insurance guy also do health insurance? I am trying to find someone who can explain health insurance policies to me in English.....

Thanks

Grania

Thanks for all the great advice. I think I will hire a car for a month or so to take the pressure off!

Kevin, does your insurance guy also do health insurance? I am trying to find someone who can explain health insurance policies to me in English.....

Thanks

Grania

grania B, Aug 2, 11 12:16
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Moving back tol America and selling 2 cars. Both in great shape but not top end. A 2002 Berlingo for about €4000 and a 2009 Toyota Aygo for around €6000, the prices are negotiable. Both are great cars but the windshield wipers need to be fixed on the Berlingo, we will probably do it. Motors wore out from pushing snow.

Both are great on gass milage, the Berlingo is really good on the freeway, it has a V6 but still gets around 5.7 liters per 100 km. Also lots of room like a minivan. Aygo is a small red hatchback with only 22k on it.

Moving back tol America and selling 2 cars. Both in great shape but not top end. A 2002 Berlingo for about €4000 and a 2009 Toyota Aygo for around €6000, the prices are negotiable. Both are great cars but the windshield wipers need to be fixed on the Berlingo, we will probably do it. Motors wore out from pushing snow.

Both are great on gass milage, the Berlingo is really good on the freeway, it has a V6 but still gets around 5.7 liters per 100 km. Also lots of room like a minivan. Aygo is a small red hatchback with only 22k on it.

Christopher Felix, Aug 2, 11 12:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi Grania,

Not sure if they do health, I got insured on assurland.com, in my experience any of these phone operators who call me can speak english and try very hard to help. I have health insurance through Ireland so I don't bother with it here.

Kev

Hi Grania,

Not sure if they do health, I got insured on assurland.com, in my experience any of these phone operators who call me can speak english and try very hard to help. I have health insurance through Ireland so I don't bother with it here.

Kev

Kevin M, Aug 2, 11 16:50
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

Aug 2, 11 12:42

French Aygo?

French Aygo?

FerneyL, Aug 2, 11 17:09
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Yes, bought it at Aix-les-bains in January 2010. Very good shape and great milage.

Yes, bought it at Aix-les-bains in January 2010. Very good shape and great milage.

Christopher Felix, Aug 2, 11 23:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
10 Replies | 1711 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form