Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Selling cars in Geneva

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Selling cars in Geneva

A friend of mine recently sold a low mileage Audi A6 for 2000 CHF at a garage. The garage told us that the car needs to be "expertisé" in order for us to be able to sell it, and that it would cost us minimum 3000 CHF to get the car repaired and "expertisé".  So long story short, my friend sold the car (which in my view did not need repairing and was in great shape) for super cheap.

Can anyone tell me if this is the standard procedure for selling a car?  Do all used cars need to be "expertisé" in order to be sold?  Or is this some kind of scheme of garages in Switzerland?

Thanks for any advice..  

The text you are quoting:

A friend of mine recently sold a low mileage Audi A6 for 2000 CHF at a garage. The garage told us that the car needs to be "expertisé" in order for us to be able to sell it, and that it would cost us minimum 3000 CHF to get the car repaired and "expertisé".  So long story short, my friend sold the car (which in my view did not need repairing and was in great shape) for super cheap.

Can anyone tell me if this is the standard procedure for selling a car?  Do all used cars need to be "expertisé" in order to be sold?  Or is this some kind of scheme of garages in Switzerland?

Thanks for any advice..  

JinaJun 4, 2010 @ 21:29
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

3 Replies | 2379 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Selling cars in Geneva
Post 1

to me it sounds very much like a method of the garage to push your selling price down, by lamenting and trying to convince you of some fake standards... nobody forces the garage to repair the car before reselling it. 

though i dont know the swiss used care market, bargaining is of course normal, and the garage has to have a margin, but what kind are the details of the Audi? i assume it would have been worth more....

dont wanna be a smartass, havent been there, havent talked to the dealer, dont know the car, but even if the audi is a 90s model it would be definitely worth more than 2000 chf i believe. 

but swiss market seems bit twisted, the german used cars market is more transparent i believe

to me it sounds very much like a method of the garage to push your selling price down, by lamenting and trying to convince you of some fake standards... nobody forces the garage to repair the car before reselling it. 

though i dont know the swiss used care market, bargaining is of course normal, and the garage has to have a margin, but what kind are the details of the Audi? i assume it would have been worth more....

dont wanna be a smartass, havent been there, havent talked to the dealer, dont know the car, but even if the audi is a 90s model it would be definitely worth more than 2000 chf i believe. 

but swiss market seems bit twisted, the german used cars market is more transparent i believe

sevket, Jun 4, 2010 @ 21:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Hi Jina,

More than 10 years old cars need to be "Expertisé" when changing ownership, otherwise it is not necessary untill further notice. The best way would be to take it yourself to "Service des autos" for a check up in exchange of a tax which does not exceed 100 Swiss Francs. If the car does not pass the test, you will have at least a list which indicates what has to be repaired or replaced. With this list, it is easier to have an estimation of costs rather than by random.

Cheers

Josef

Hi Jina,

More than 10 years old cars need to be "Expertisé" when changing ownership, otherwise it is not necessary untill further notice. The best way would be to take it yourself to "Service des autos" for a check up in exchange of a tax which does not exceed 100 Swiss Francs. If the car does not pass the test, you will have at least a list which indicates what has to be repaired or replaced. With this list, it is easier to have an estimation of costs rather than by random.

Cheers

Josef

Josef X, Jun 5, 2010 @ 11:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi Sevket and Josef, thanks for your advices - very helpful. The garage that bought my car did give me a list of things to be repaired and also an estimation of costs to repair them all - but I can't get myself to believe it! My car had low mileage and never had any problems with the engine and so on, so it seems strange that it suddenly needs to be repaired.

Anyways, it's done and over with now, so no crying over spilled milk! Thanks again guys..  J

Hi Sevket and Josef, thanks for your advices - very helpful. The garage that bought my car did give me a list of things to be repaired and also an estimation of costs to repair them all - but I can't get myself to believe it! My car had low mileage and never had any problems with the engine and so on, so it seems strange that it suddenly needs to be repaired.

Anyways, it's done and over with now, so no crying over spilled milk! Thanks again guys..  J

Jina, Jun 7, 2010 @ 10:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
3 Replies | 2379 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form