Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Should we be paying a relocation agent who showed us an apartment we found online by ourselves?

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Should we be paying a relocation agent who showed us an apartment we found online by ourselves?

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the posts - some really useful info in these forums. I have a question of my own that I don't think is quite answered in what I've been able to find so far. 

We're looking for an apartment to rent in Geneva and found one listed on a number of sites. We rang up the number and arranged to go see it. While viewing it, the person showing us around told us that he is actually a relocation agent, and that if we ended up going with the apartment, we woud have to pay him one month's rent for his efforts and that he would also take care of the process. Someone from the regie was there with him as well.

I'm not sure what we would be paying him for since we found the apartment online and did not ask for his help. I also don't see the complexity of the process requiring us to have him do anything for us. Are we obligated to go through him and pay this fee equivalent to one month's rent if we want that apartment? I can understand if he had helped us find it and looked around for us, but....just not sure what we would be paying him for! 

Thanks in  advance for all the input and advice.

Philip

The text you are quoting:

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the posts - some really useful info in these forums. I have a question of my own that I don't think is quite answered in what I've been able to find so far. 

We're looking for an apartment to rent in Geneva and found one listed on a number of sites. We rang up the number and arranged to go see it. While viewing it, the person showing us around told us that he is actually a relocation agent, and that if we ended up going with the apartment, we woud have to pay him one month's rent for his efforts and that he would also take care of the process. Someone from the regie was there with him as well.

I'm not sure what we would be paying him for since we found the apartment online and did not ask for his help. I also don't see the complexity of the process requiring us to have him do anything for us. Are we obligated to go through him and pay this fee equivalent to one month's rent if we want that apartment? I can understand if he had helped us find it and looked around for us, but....just not sure what we would be paying him for! 

Thanks in  advance for all the input and advice.

Philip

Philip AJan 20, 2018 @ 18:49
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

4 Replies | 1573 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Should we be paying a relocation agent who showed us an apartment we found online by ourselves?
Post 1

Morning Philip, 

Who is the author of the ad? Is there anything specified on the ad? Sometimes some agencies post ads online...

Morning Philip, 

Who is the author of the ad? Is there anything specified on the ad? Sometimes some agencies post ads online...

TreeOf Life, Jan 21, 2018 @ 11:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Should we be paying a relocation agent who showed us an apartment we found online by ourselves?
Post 2

hi,

ultimately it is always the regie - and in some cases the owner of the property - that make the final decision whether you get the place. So you need to roll with whatever their procedure is - if they only take candidates through a relocation agency (legitimate or not),  thats what you are working with. Welcome to Geneva :-) If a relocation agency can get you privileged treatment of your application at the regie, that might be worth a month's rent depending how desperate for accommodation you are. also, you don't pay the relocation agency if you "want" the apartment (as you say), you pay when your application is successful and you sign the lease. Why don't you ask the regie directly how to best proceed?

good luck!

hi,

ultimately it is always the regie - and in some cases the owner of the property - that make the final decision whether you get the place. So you need to roll with whatever their procedure is - if they only take candidates through a relocation agency (legitimate or not),  thats what you are working with. Welcome to Geneva :-) If a relocation agency can get you privileged treatment of your application at the regie, that might be worth a month's rent depending how desperate for accommodation you are. also, you don't pay the relocation agency if you "want" the apartment (as you say), you pay when your application is successful and you sign the lease. Why don't you ask the regie directly how to best proceed?

good luck!

giselina, Jan 21, 2018 @ 21:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Hi there.

I was invited by an agence of relocation to see an apartment that I have already visited and applied for it and get rejection weeks ago, and the apartment was still empty.

the agence was looking forward that I give them green light to send my application for it and had big confiendece, I refused becuase I think that was really unfaire to pay 4000CHF for this that I desire to get my self. 

I am sure there is backdoors between most of agences and regies/owners.

The law should protect people looking for apartments. the fact that regies , agences and owenrs do what they like , means that they can ask people to pay as much as they can get escpecailly in high demand location area like Geneva.

Good luck to everybody i spent years to get a suitable apartment , for more tips just ask me and forsure it is free of charge :)

Hi there.

I was invited by an agence of relocation to see an apartment that I have already visited and applied for it and get rejection weeks ago, and the apartment was still empty.

the agence was looking forward that I give them green light to send my application for it and had big confiendece, I refused becuase I think that was really unfaire to pay 4000CHF for this that I desire to get my self. 

I am sure there is backdoors between most of agences and regies/owners.

The law should protect people looking for apartments. the fact that regies , agences and owenrs do what they like , means that they can ask people to pay as much as they can get escpecailly in high demand location area like Geneva.

Good luck to everybody i spent years to get a suitable apartment , for more tips just ask me and forsure it is free of charge :)

Ghalib J, Jan 22, 2018 @ 16:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

@Philip:

This is very common in Geneva.

It's not a scam... well, at least not technically. It's a legalized bribe.

Even if you made the effort of looking for the apartment yourself, the relocation agent is there to guarantee you that you will be chosen amongst the dozens of other applicants. In exchange for being sure of getting the apartment, you pay one month of rent to the agent (which, I imagine, will split the money with the Régie). 

@Philip:

This is very common in Geneva.

It's not a scam... well, at least not technically. It's a legalized bribe.

Even if you made the effort of looking for the apartment yourself, the relocation agent is there to guarantee you that you will be chosen amongst the dozens of other applicants. In exchange for being sure of getting the apartment, you pay one month of rent to the agent (which, I imagine, will split the money with the Régie). 

TheOmegaMan, Jan 22, 2018 @ 19:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
4 Replies | 1573 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form