Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Ski close to Geneva (public transportation)

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Ski close to Geneva (public transportation)

Hi all. I realize this is a silly question (especially since we are still packing for our moving to Geneva - from the US,  and we still have not found a place where to live!). What I already know is that we won't have a car and thus will be totally depending on public transportation. 

My question is if we can go skiing by train or bus somewhere around Geneva.  I don't ski and I know nothing about it but my kids cannot wait to hit the slopes (the only thing that totally convinced them to move to Geneva! )...

Could you please help with any piece of advice? 

Also,  is there any gear that I can/should buy from the US (cheaper here)?

Thanks a lot,

Anna

The text you are quoting:

Hi all. I realize this is a silly question (especially since we are still packing for our moving to Geneva - from the US,  and we still have not found a place where to live!). What I already know is that we won't have a car and thus will be totally depending on public transportation. 

My question is if we can go skiing by train or bus somewhere around Geneva.  I don't ski and I know nothing about it but my kids cannot wait to hit the slopes (the only thing that totally convinced them to move to Geneva! )...

Could you please help with any piece of advice? 

Also,  is there any gear that I can/should buy from the US (cheaper here)?

Thanks a lot,

Anna

Anna PMar 28, 2015 @ 16:57
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

2 Replies | 818 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Ski close to Geneva (public transportation)
Post 1

You should buy everything you're able to move in the States before coming over, but especially the clothing is probably good to buy overseas (depending on how fast your kids grow actually..).

I'm a snowboard instructor and I know that the city's ski and snowboarding school (http://ess-geneve.ch/) has a bus that always leaves from the village towards France - half an hour bus ride and then they are in the resort. Sounds like a great option for your kids (if they can still profit from lessons as well).
You can also take the train to for example Leysin (Great resort!) which takes 1h45.
Getting to the closer French resorts is probably easy with a ride too once you know people, and there are web pages for it too: blablacar.com.
Otherwise there's a bus leaving to Chamonix (Montblanc) a couple times a day for around 60 bucks with equipment back and forth I believe.

I don't know anything about the Jura mountainrange resorts, maybe someone else can tell you more about that.

And depending on where you will work there is also a bus every weekend that is organized by UN people (I think everyone can join though if you sign up - not sure, someone else could help here) that goes to really awesome resorts all over the place as day trips.

Hope this helps a little! :)

You should buy everything you're able to move in the States before coming over, but especially the clothing is probably good to buy overseas (depending on how fast your kids grow actually..).

I'm a snowboard instructor and I know that the city's ski and snowboarding school (http://ess-geneve.ch/) has a bus that always leaves from the village towards France - half an hour bus ride and then they are in the resort. Sounds like a great option for your kids (if they can still profit from lessons as well).
You can also take the train to for example Leysin (Great resort!) which takes 1h45.
Getting to the closer French resorts is probably easy with a ride too once you know people, and there are web pages for it too: blablacar.com.
Otherwise there's a bus leaving to Chamonix (Montblanc) a couple times a day for around 60 bucks with equipment back and forth I believe.

I don't know anything about the Jura mountainrange resorts, maybe someone else can tell you more about that.

And depending on where you will work there is also a bus every weekend that is organized by UN people (I think everyone can join though if you sign up - not sure, someone else could help here) that goes to really awesome resorts all over the place as day trips.

Hope this helps a little! :)

Konrad S, Mar 28, 2015 @ 19:17
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Re: Ski close to Geneva (public transportation)
Post 2

Dear Konrad,

This helps enourmously! Thank you! I am still looking (desperately) for a place where to stay but as soon as I solve that, I'll take care of the ski equipment for the kids. Yes, I am going to work in the UN area, so if anybody knows more about that bus trip - many thanks...

Thank you again!

Dear Konrad,

This helps enourmously! Thank you! I am still looking (desperately) for a place where to stay but as soon as I solve that, I'll take care of the ski equipment for the kids. Yes, I am going to work in the UN area, so if anybody knows more about that bus trip - many thanks...

Thank you again!

Anna P, Mar 30, 2015 @ 15:46
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
2 Replies | 818 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form