Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Ski season

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Ski season

We've just moved from the Jura where the skiing was cheap, the slopes were close (20 minutes) and the ski-school for our 6 year old was excellent.  We're now in Lancy just off the motorway and was wondering what advice people had for the upcoming ski season.

Ideally we would like somehwere close to Geneva with a good school for a 6 year old who has skied before which doesn't involve a stomach-wrenching climb and that doesn't involve selling a kidney to pay for the privilege.

Anyone got any thoughts out there?

Thanks,

Nick

The text you are quoting:

We've just moved from the Jura where the skiing was cheap, the slopes were close (20 minutes) and the ski-school for our 6 year old was excellent.  We're now in Lancy just off the motorway and was wondering what advice people had for the upcoming ski season.

Ideally we would like somehwere close to Geneva with a good school for a 6 year old who has skied before which doesn't involve a stomach-wrenching climb and that doesn't involve selling a kidney to pay for the privilege.

Anyone got any thoughts out there?

Thanks,

Nick

Nick ManfieldNov 26, 2014 @ 11:03
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

11 Replies | 1040 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Ski season
Post 1

"Ideally we would like somewhere close to Geneva with a good school for a 6 year old who has skied before which doesn't involve a stomach-wrenching climb and that doesn't involve selling a kidney to pay for the privilege. Anyone got any thoughts out there?"

Sell a kidney.

What? You don't love your kid?

"Ideally we would like somewhere close to Geneva with a good school for a 6 year old who has skied before which doesn't involve a stomach-wrenching climb and that doesn't involve selling a kidney to pay for the privilege. Anyone got any thoughts out there?"

Sell a kidney.

JR M, Nov 26, 2014 @ 14:19
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2

Sell a kidney.

Nov 26, 14 14:19

I've already had to sell one to pay the 3 months rent deposit

Nick Manfield, Nov 26, 2014 @ 14:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3

Nov 26, 14 14:24

Also, i didn't mean sell my kidney

Also, i didn't mean sell my kidney

Nick Manfield, Nov 26, 2014 @ 14:26
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4

What exactly are you looking for - somewhere to rent for the whole winter, somewhere to rent for weekends, or interested in going round various resorts on different weekends? 

How far are you willing to travel?

And what do you mean by 'stomach-wrenching climb'?

What exactly are you looking for - somewhere to rent for the whole winter, somewhere to rent for weekends, or interested in going round various resorts on different weekends? 

How far are you willing to travel?

And what do you mean by 'stomach-wrenching climb'?

Fionnuala O, Nov 26, 2014 @ 15:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5

Hi there, thanks for the reply.  I' 'm looking for somewhere that I can take my 6 year old son on a Saturday or Sunday morning or afternoon where he can have a couple of hours lessons in a group leaving me to bimble off on the slopes whilst waiting for his lesson to finish.  This was something that was great in the Col de la Faucille with their mini-Champions club.  The only problem was the climb up from Gex where we lived is full of switchbacks and made our son queezy in the back of our 4x4.

I was wondering where else might be worth visiting in the Alps that might be suitable?

Hi there, thanks for the reply.  I' 'm looking for somewhere that I can take my 6 year old son on a Saturday or Sunday morning or afternoon where he can have a couple of hours lessons in a group leaving me to bimble off on the slopes whilst waiting for his lesson to finish.  This was something that was great in the Col de la Faucille with their mini-Champions club.  The only problem was the climb up from Gex where we lived is full of switchbacks and made our son queezy in the back of our 4x4.

I was wondering where else might be worth visiting in the Alps that might be suitable?

Nick Manfield, Nov 26, 2014 @ 16:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6

Oh yes, forgot to say - ideally looking for a single place to go for the season and ideally a max of 1 hour away from the South of Geneva (near the Perly interchange with France).  it would be a 'commute' if you see what i mean

Oh yes, forgot to say - ideally looking for a single place to go for the season and ideally a max of 1 hour away from the South of Geneva (near the Perly interchange with France).  it would be a 'commute' if you see what i mean

Nick Manfield, Nov 26, 2014 @ 16:13
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7

Hi Nick

You should try Crozet which is at 550m high and a cable car take you up to the Jura ski fields.

Cheers

O

Hi Nick

You should try Crozet which is at 550m high and a cable car take you up to the Jura ski fields.

Cheers

O

Olivier Gaillard, Nov 26, 2014 @ 16:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8

Hi Nick

Cheers

O

Nov 26, 14 16:32

Thanks Olivier,

I used to live in Gex but never went to Crozet as i don't think they have the ESI school there ('Mini Champions') which was perfect for my little one.  Is it easy to park there on a weekend?

Thanks Olivier,

I used to live in Gex but never went to Crozet as i don't think they have the ESI school there ('Mini Champions') which was perfect for my little one.  Is it easy to park there on a weekend?

Nick Manfield, Nov 27, 2014 @ 11:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

To avoid twisty roads try Les Houches, you can access the main lift pretty much straight off the motorway. Just under 1h from Geneva if the traffic isn't too bad. It's not as cheap as the Jura, but cheaper than the rest of the Chamonix valley. They have ESF but I have no experience of them.

To avoid twisty roads try Les Houches, you can access the main lift pretty much straight off the motorway. Just under 1h from Geneva if the traffic isn't too bad. It's not as cheap as the Jura, but cheaper than the rest of the Chamonix valley. They have ESF but I have no experience of them.

adam_jeff, Nov 27, 2014 @ 11:59
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

I'd agree with adam_jeff - Les Houches is very easy to access with no twisty roads. There are a good variety of ski schools too. 

Personally I avoid ESF (though ESI schools I've found to be very good), and I've had positive experiences with Evolution 2, who have a school in Les Houches - worth dropping them an email. 

I'd agree with adam_jeff - Les Houches is very easy to access with no twisty roads. There are a good variety of ski schools too. 

Personally I avoid ESF (though ESI schools I've found to be very good), and I've had positive experiences with Evolution 2, who have a school in Les Houches - worth dropping them an email. 

Fionnuala O, Nov 27, 2014 @ 14:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11

That's great.  I also used ESI in Gex and was very impressed - Ill give it a visit once there is some snow.

Appreciate the help 

That's great.  I also used ESI in Gex and was very impressed - Ill give it a visit once there is some snow.

Appreciate the help 

Nick Manfield, Nov 27, 2014 @ 15:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
11 Replies | 1040 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form