Login or Sign Up

Forums in Geneva > Geneva > Snow/ Winter Tyres

Only members can see photos
Only members can see names and photos
Snow/ Winter Tyres
 Hi,

just wondering if anyone knows of a good place to get winter tyres from.

Ideally ,I guess, I'm looking for a set of wheels as well and storage for my summer wheels.

At the moment I'm planning on going to Annemasse to get them as the prices I've got from the Audi dealership are pretty punchy.

Thanks in advance
The text you are quoting:
 Hi,

just wondering if anyone knows of a good place to get winter tyres from.

Ideally ,I guess, I'm looking for a set of wheels as well and storage for my summer wheels.

At the moment I'm planning on going to Annemasse to get them as the prices I've got from the Audi dealership are pretty punchy.

Thanks in advance
FeeharyOct 15, 2009 @ 10:47
Your Reply:
Reply  Reply With Quote  Thank Poster
! Report to Admin

21 Replies | 8119 Views      |  Send to friend

Re: Snow/ Winter Tyres
Post 1
And as a side note. I heard that every car has to have winter tyres from 1st of November. Is that true?
And as a side note. I heard that every car has to have winter tyres from 1st of November. Is that true?

Maria_, Oct 15, 2009 @ 12:06
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 2
 So, as I understand it, if there's snow/ ice on the ground and you have an accident and you don't have snow/ winter tyres you're liable for the damages....

In the same way that if snow blows off the roof of your car and blinds the car behind and it has an accident you're liable...

Lastly, my Italian collegues tell me that after 15 October if you want to go through the Mont Blanc tunnel you should have snow/ winter tyres or chains in your car.

So, as I understand it, if there's snow/ ice on the ground and you have an accident and you don't have snow/ winter tyres you're liable for the damages....

In the same way that if snow blows off the roof of your car and blinds the car behind and it has an accident you're liable...

Lastly, my Italian collegues tell me that after 15 October if you want to go through the Mont Blanc tunnel you should have snow/ winter tyres or chains in your car.

Feehary, Oct 15, 2009 @ 12:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 3
just got entire new sets for my 2 vehicles

tyres are definitely cheaper in Switzerland (got to do with the 20% VAT in F), especially the high end models. I got 235x18's for 290CHF/piece, they were priced at ...290EUR at Feu vert. + mount

... so my garage told me to get what the Touring Club advised (can't
remember what model but it was cheap) for my standard sedan and a set
of top-notch Michelin for my sports car that might require more grip...
just got entire new sets for my 2 vehicles

tyres are definitely cheaper in Switzerland (got to do with the 20% VAT in F), especially the high end models. I got 235x18's for 290CHF/piece, they were priced at ...290EUR at Feu vert. + mount

... so my garage told me to get what the Touring Club advised (can't
remember what model but it was cheap) for my standard sedan and a set
of top-notch Michelin for my sports car that might require more grip...

Fidelio V, Oct 15, 2009 @ 13:57
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 4
 I've just started looking for my winter tyres and I see quite a few second hand but fairly new, at a very good price. But how do I know if they are suitable for my car? Most are advertised with just two numbers e.g. 185-65. If those two match the numbers on my existing tyres, is that all I need to know?

I've just started looking for my winter tyres and I see quite a few second hand but fairly new, at a very good price. But how do I know if they are suitable for my car? Most are advertised with just two numbers e.g. 185-65. If those two match the numbers on my existing tyres, is that all I need to know?

adam_jeff, Oct 15, 2009 @ 14:21
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 5
it's not a matter of date but of temperature. under 7°C you have to drive with winter 

to buy tires and store your summer's ones, you can go to pneu claude in satigny
www.pneusclaude.ch

better call them before going for an "appointment", it's very crowded when winter arrives.
it's not a matter of date but of temperature. under 7°C you have to drive with winter 

to buy tires and store your summer's ones, you can go to pneu claude in satigny
www.pneusclaude.ch

better call them before going for an "appointment", it's very crowded when winter arrives.

Pika, Oct 15, 2009 @ 16:38
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 6
I can recommend you www.reifendirekt.ch
Good prices and top brands. In addition they deliver the tires to your nearest garage. Unfortunately only in German or French.
I can recommend you www.reifendirekt.ch
Good prices and top brands. In addition they deliver the tires to your nearest garage. Unfortunately only in German or French.

battlestar, Oct 15, 2009 @ 18:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 7
yep i can recommend reifendirekt.ch / www.pneus-online.ch (their french site) also.  They are significnatly cheaper than buying at the store and arrive pretty quickly.  Mine took about 5 days to arrive and you can even get them delivered to the garage you want to have them fitted
yep i can recommend reifendirekt.ch / www.pneus-online.ch (their french site) also.  They are significnatly cheaper than buying at the store and arrive pretty quickly.  Mine took about 5 days to arrive and you can even get them delivered to the garage you want to have them fitted

hucklewoo, Oct 15, 2009 @ 18:56
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 8
Can someone help, Im looking for the best priced winter tires including montage for a Peugeot 407?

Area Nyon / Geneva or France if it can be cheaper there. I can imagine that montage is cheaper in France..
Can someone help, Im looking for the best priced winter tires including montage for a Peugeot 407?

Area Nyon / Geneva or France if it can be cheaper there. I can imagine that montage is cheaper in France..

ThomasNL, Oct 15, 2009 @ 19:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 9

ThomasNL, Oct 15, 2009 @ 19:53
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 10

Try calling Emmanuel from Garage PitStop

[email protected]

022 341 15 18

Highly recommended, English speaking professional guy

Best regards,

Avi
For preferred treatment you might want to tell him I sent you :-)

Try calling Emmanuel from Garage PitStop

[email protected]

022 341 15 18

Highly recommended, English speaking professional guy

Best regards,

Avi
For preferred treatment you might want to tell him I sent you :-)

Avi_, Oct 15, 2009 @ 20:51
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 11
Thanx Avi will do that :) Emm where is Garage PitStop?
Thanx Avi will do that :) Emm where is Garage PitStop?

Maria_, Oct 15, 2009 @ 20:58
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 12
 http://www.garagepitstop.ch

rte du Bois-de-Bay 31
1242  Satigny  Geneve
Switzerland

http://www.garagepitstop.ch

rte du Bois-de-Bay 31
1242  Satigny  Geneve
Switzerland

Avi_, Oct 15, 2009 @ 21:03
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 13
I went to pitstop last year to have something repaired and that went fine, don't know if the price was better then somewhere else, but:

As I picked up my car he said my car wasnt in the best of state (my previous car). 5 months later I went to my garage in Holland where I used to come twice a year to have it checked (has to be done in Holland every year, I had Dutch plates). My garage told me the state of the car was fine and he knew I live in Switzerland and if the car would have been in a bad state I could have had trouble. Car never gave me any problems and I drove it for another year.

So I don't count Pit Stop to the best of garages around.

Besides I think at bigger companies you get better prices as they can buy huge stock of tires...
I went to pitstop last year to have something repaired and that went fine, don't know if the price was better then somewhere else, but:

As I picked up my car he said my car wasnt in the best of state (my previous car). 5 months later I went to my garage in Holland where I used to come twice a year to have it checked (has to be done in Holland every year, I had Dutch plates). My garage told me the state of the car was fine and he knew I live in Switzerland and if the car would have been in a bad state I could have had trouble. Car never gave me any problems and I drove it for another year.

So I don't count Pit Stop to the best of garages around.

Besides I think at bigger companies you get better prices as they can buy huge stock of tires...

ThomasNL, Oct 15, 2009 @ 21:42
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 14
 I've just fitted all weather M+S tyres to my 4x4 at the tyre dealers at Balexert which was 20% cheaper supplied and fitted than the same chain in Ferney. 

CH is cheaper than FR but fitting costs are a hiher.  Basically if you can buy tyres in Switzerland and get them fitted in France that would be the cheapest but not the easiest solution.
 I've just fitted all weather M+S tyres to my 4x4 at the tyre dealers at Balexert which was 20% cheaper supplied and fitted than the same chain in Ferney. 

CH is cheaper than FR but fitting costs are a hiher.  Basically if you can buy tyres in Switzerland and get them fitted in France that would be the cheapest but not the easiest solution.
Jivebaby, Oct 22, 2009 @ 11:01
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 15
Careful about the customs if you live in FR and buy in CH. The douaniers know how to see the difference.

Careful about the customs if you live in FR and buy in CH. The douaniers know how to see the difference.

tawb, Oct 22, 2009 @ 19:10
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 16
Will all-year tires be OK?
Normal lighty "sportified" car, back tires maybe 5 years old, but still with sufficient depth of the rubber, front tires 3 months old.
Will all-year tires be OK?
Normal lighty "sportified" car, back tires maybe 5 years old, but still with sufficient depth of the rubber, front tires 3 months old.

FerneyL, Oct 22, 2009 @ 22:24
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 17

Oct 22, 09 11:01
Hi, can you please tell me where exactly at Balexert you got your all weather tyres? Any contact details? I need both new tyres and winter ones. Thanks. 
Hi, can you please tell me where exactly at Balexert you got your all weather tyres? Any contact details? I need both new tyres and winter ones. Thanks. 
wonder, Oct 23, 2009 @ 08:39
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 18
Got mine yesterday from a place in Meyrin (i think). 5 Michellin tyres for 125CHF each including European guarantee and a 50CHF petrol voucher.
Offer is valid until 31st October. We were in and out in 30 minutes.

Will tell you exactly where this place is as soon as my friend wakes up. I have no idea :P
Got mine yesterday from a place in Meyrin (i think). 5 Michellin tyres for 125CHF each including European guarantee and a 50CHF petrol voucher.

Will tell you exactly where this place is as soon as my friend wakes up. I have no idea :P

Maria_, Oct 23, 2009 @ 10:11
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 19
 EuroMaster behind McDonalds at Balexert.  Use google if you need more detail.
 EuroMaster behind McDonalds at Balexert.  Use google if you need more detail.
Jivebaby, Oct 23, 2009 @ 10:52
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 20

Oct 23, 09 10:11
It would be great if you may find out the info. Could it be also Euromaster? Just checked online - they also have a shop in Meyrin. Thanks.
Thanks to Jivebaby too.
It would be great if you may find out the info. Could it be also Euromaster? Just checked online - they also have a shop in Meyrin. Thanks.
Thanks to Jivebaby too.
wonder, Oct 23, 2009 @ 11:27
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
Post 21
 So just for colour here's what I found;

I wanted whole wheels rather than just tyres and I wanted the same
actual rims that I have now.
The wheels/ rims  were MUCH cheaper in France than Switz:
1500CHF v 605E (and yes, that's each...)

Whereas the tyres were cheaper in Switz:
470CHF v 477E
The cheapest place was www.reifendirekt.ch for the tyres.

Montage was free in France and 40CHF a wheel in Switz.
Storage was pretty comparable in both.

So after all that I decided that all those prices were just mental and I'm
getting one of the set AMAG Audi winter packages (645CHF per complete wheel).

All in all its the price of a good weekend away so it better start snowing soon,

happy motoring
 So just for colour here's what I found;

I wanted whole wheels rather than just tyres and I wanted the same
actual rims that I have now.
The wheels/ rims  were MUCH cheaper in France than Switz:
1500CHF v 605E (and yes, that's each...)

Whereas the tyres were cheaper in Switz:
470CHF v 477E
The cheapest place was www.reifendirekt.ch for the tyres.

Montage was free in France and 40CHF a wheel in Switz.
Storage was pretty comparable in both.

So after all that I decided that all those prices were just mental and I'm
getting one of the set AMAG Audi winter packages (645CHF per complete wheel).

All in all its the price of a good weekend away so it better start snowing soon,

happy motoring

Feehary, Oct 23, 2009 @ 12:32
Your Reply:
! Report to Admin
21 Replies | 8119 Views      |  Send to friend

Feedback Form